• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo Orbit of Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Mapname: Halo Orbit of Reach
Creators: DarkFabske & Arkless
Maptype: Strategy Space Map
Stage: Pre-Alpha
Project Started: 12.6.2009

Why i Started that map:
I Read the first Halo book "The Fall of Reach" and i decided to create a map where u can fight like this. Most time i create Scifi-Maps.
I am working on this now a long time, i created all the ship models and triggered most stuff. Thanks here to my friend and Helpful Co-mapper Arkless.

Features:

-Lag reduced Bullet System
-Shields that appear on damage and fade away when it was a short time undamaged. They Also lower the lightening when it Shield gets low.
-Many Different Missiles and Projectiles.(Homing,Lightening,and Straight Bullets)
-Each ship has unique Spells.
-Warp Spells, Covenant ships warp an other style than Human ships.

And the Most Important!!

-IDEAS-

This is my First Try on Hive pls help me if i did something wrong =)

thanks for your help, i REALLY need it =)
Here is a ingame Picture, you see that i created a bullet system to make it more different to normal WC3, you can also see the shields that only appear when a ship gets damaged.

151716-albums2093-picture16443.jpg
151716-albums2093-picture18139.jpg
151716-albums2093-picture18142.jpg

Actual Working on:
Better Models, here to see my actual progress with the Frigate
[/U] Cool Stuff[/SIZE], reworked missiles and bullets, think they look now guit cooler =)
151716-albums2093-picture17512.jpg

Stuff to come:
Capitals, each team can have a maximum of 1 capital ships controlled by one player. Battleship for UNSC and a Carrier for the Covenant.
Recource system, something with control points xD (probably mining planets)
Collision system, will stop your ships stacking in one place and slide them slow away from each other (Lag testing from Arkless in Progress).

Last edited:
Level 2
Seriously, is that css battlecruiser just copied and pasted into the picture?
It looks like it has parallax mapping, and that's not possible in warcraft.. i did a model of it that i'm using myself, it's hardly lowpoly, yet it doesn't look like that!
I Used a Screenshot for the Texture because the texture i did was horrible.
if u want i will show u in BNet or send u a beta version of it!!!
i did it in Gmax:cry:
But im Glad that you thougt it was copy and pasted =) so it must look like the real CCS
For Other Pictures Look in my Gallery
180px-CCS-Class-Battle-Cruiser-top-bg.jpg

Last edited:
Level 1
you can apply pseudo depth by adding shaded textures :3 (always looks better then just color ^^)

Sorry, i wasn't trying to insult you, the model looks really nice!
I don't understand how you germans always do it. ;)
I would love to have a beta version, in exchange i could send you screenshots of my own model. :)
Mine uses handdrawn textures, but they look nice, just not as smooth and shiny as yours. I'm more interrested of seeing how your mesh looks.

The map looks great, i didn't expect you to have any jass knowledge, but those triggers looks sweet :)
The slipspace effects are really nice too.
One thing i noticed is, when i played as the covenant and killed all the units from those outposts, i could use the shops to buy my own unsc ships and battle them with!
this is no big deal since the map is still in beta stage though.
the models are nice, but the seraphs are flying backwards(!), and even though those unsc ships looks a bit cartoonish, i like the design and it intergrates well with wc3 graphics. Just fix the texture quality and wrap, it looks like something done in vertexMF. I can send you some halo material from my own map tomorrow if you want.

EDIT: I'm going to sleep now, but i'll send more feedback tomorrow once i had a better look at the map.

Level 2
I will fix the bug that u can buy human ships as covenant, was still to lazy to do it until now.
I never worked long on my Textures so they look damn bad. I Thought Seraphs fly that way but so i have to fix it really fast^^
Thanks for your help im glad to become some ideas =)

PS: Will Fix the Seraphs and rework them

Last edited:
Level 1
The jass stuff is actually pretty old ^^ and a mixture from fabskes and my jass "style" so its not too good xDDD (i can do better now <.< and i will probably do a whole rework, coz a big fleet causes lag o.o)

the convenant bug is already known xDDD call me lazy for all i care xDDD

The jass stuff is actually pretty old ^^ and a mixture from fabskes and my jass "style" so its not too good xDDD (i can do better now <.< and i will probably do a whole rework, coz a big fleet causes lag o.o)

the convenant bug is already known xDDD call me lazy for all i care xDDD

Are you guys doing this project together?
I just glanced the triggers, but i noticed you are using hashtables and stuff, and that makes for at least decent jassing.

I noticed one thing though:
JASS:
call TriggerSleepAction(0.01)
This is infact totally vain, since warcraft cannot do such short waits due to the inefficiency of the function.

Level 2
I noticed one thing though:
JASS:
call TriggerSleepAction(0.01)
This is infact totally vain, since warcraft cannot do such short waits due to the inefficiency of the function.

I Know it, but i was to lazy to create timers.... Arkless wanted to rework it very soon. In this moment im trying to create an upgrade system for greater ships so u can buy new weapons and abilitys for them =)

Level 2
I think the scripts are working fine, they might leak a bit, but you really see what you thought for this project.

One thing about the models though:
attachment.php

What is that penis thing doing under the tortuga cruiser? ;)

It should be the MAC lol :grin:
If you think its better i delete it (Totaly Laughing in skype with Arkless)

Level 26
Hey, Great to see more Halo fans here. Im liking that covenant cruiser model. But i think you should get rid of the "shield" you have over it. its a big annoying ball. You could easily add a "stand hit" animation to the model so it's shields "flicker" every time it is attacked. That would look better and be more in keeping with the lore. a more "form fitting" shield as opposed to a ball. I cant wait to see what you come up with in this map of yours. It looks interesting. I think your UNSC ships need some more work though:/

But if you ever need any help, im just a call away ;)
Cant wait to see the finished product

longsword%20fighter%20in%20Halo.jpg
<LONGSWORD
pillar_of_autumn_screen.jpg
<HALCYON CLASS CRUISER
Frigate2_copy.png
<FRIGATE

EDIT: also a custom interface and cursor would look fabulous on this

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey, Great to see more Halo fans here. Im liking that covenant cruiser model. But i think you should get rid of the "shield" you have over it. its a big annoying ball. You could easily add a "stand hit" animation to the model so it's shields "flicker" every time it is attacked. That would look better and be more in keeping with the lore. a more "form fitting" shield as opposed to a ball. I cant wait to see what you come up with in this map of yours. It looks interesting. I think your UNSC ships need some more work though:/

But if you ever need any help, im just a call away ;)
Cant wait to see the finished product

longsword%20fighter%20in%20Halo.jpg
<LONGSWORD
pillar_of_autumn_screen.jpg
<HALCYON CLASS CRUISER
Frigate2_copy.png
<FRIGATE

EDIT: also a custom interface and cursor would look fabulous on this

I Will create better models for the UNSC ships that fit better the halo style, but im just a realy bad modeler. Thats why my actual ships not really fit the style of halo.
The Costum User Interface thing sounds realy good, i will do one as soon the map gets in the beta stage.
The Shields of the CCS is a problem because bullets hit with the collision size of a ship so i need a ball shield that the missiles explode on impact.
But well i will test it at least how it looks =)
Just have to do some stuff for school also xD

Level 2
But i think you should get rid of the "shield" you have over it. its a big annoying ball. You could easily add a "stand hit" animation to the model so it's shields "flicker" every time it is attacked. That would look better and be more in keeping with the lore. a more "form fitting" shield as opposed to a ball
Thougth about it many times an think it is a really good idea. The problem is just, i have dunno how to animate models. do you know a good tutorial where i can learn it?

I did my models in Gmax.

Gmax is not the best tool for animating, but actually, you can do this in magos quite easy.
Make the shield model in Gmax, texture it and everything, then export and open in magos.

Then you go to sequence manager, right click>new sequence.
Right click the new sequence and choose edit. In the interval windows you can see the time span of your animation, wich should currently be 0 to 0.
Since deafult interval length of stand sequence is 0 to 3333, you can set the start to 3334, and end to whatever you want, but let's say 6000. You can test it out yourself to see wich length fits best later on. Set the name to "Stand Hit".

Now go to the material manager, and select one of the materials. Find out wich one is the shield materials by clicking your way until you find the texture path of it somewhere.
Now, in the same window as the texture path, there is a section called alpha, with a box called "animated". Check it, then click the new-appeared alpha button.

Now, in the window that appears you should be seeing this:
"0: 1"

Where 0 is the time in miliseconds, and 1 is the alpha value.
By pasting more numbers like this, you can set what alpha the material will have at what point, so what you want to do first is this:
"0: 0
3333: 0"

I dont know if you actually need the final line, but what this does is to make sure that the alpha is 0 in the stand animation, thus hiding the texture of the shield, making it invisible!

To make an animation, you could simply put different values within a few hundred miliseconds from eachother changing the values, for example:
"3400: 0.3
3500: 0.8
3650: 1
3700: 0.8
3800: 0.7
3650: 0.5
3800: 0.2
4000: 0"

Without the quotes. Check out different combinations to achieve the result you want. Good luck!

Level 2
Gmax is not the best tool for animating, but actually, you can do this in magos quite easy.
Make the shield model in Gmax, texture it and everything, then export and open in magos.

Then you go to sequence manager, right click>new sequence.
Right click the new sequence and choose edit. In the interval windows you can see the time span of your animation, wich should currently be 0 to 0.
Since deafult interval length of stand sequence is 0 to 3333, you can set the start to 3334, and end to whatever you want, but let's say 6000. You can test it out yourself to see wich length fits best later on. Set the name to "Stand Hit".

Now go to the material manager, and select one of the materials. Find out wich one is the shield materials by clicking your way until you find the texture path of it somewhere.
Now, in the same window as the texture path, there is a section called alpha, with a box called "animated". Check it, then click the new-appeared alpha button.

Now, in the window that appears you should be seeing this:
"0: 1"

Where 0 is the time in miliseconds, and 1 is the alpha value.
By pasting more numbers like this, you can set what alpha the material will have at what point, so what you want to do first is this:
"0: 0
3333: 0"

I dont know if you actually need the final line, but what this does is to make sure that the alpha is 0 in the stand animation, thus hiding the texture of the shield, making it invisible!

To make an animation, you could simply put different values within a few hundred miliseconds from eachother changing the values, for example:
"3400: 0.3
3500: 0.8
3650: 1
3700: 0.8
3800: 0.7
3650: 0.5
3800: 0.2
4000: 0"

Without the quotes. Check out different combinations to achieve the result you want. Good luck!

Really Really thanks for that. You ROCK!!!! :grin:
well in my first try i made the normal CCS model the shield, so it fades completly lol^^
will now try some stuff with that =)
thank u again, that was what i needed :grin:

Level 3
This looks pretty kickass man, and it's about time we got some halo vehicle models on here. Like a year ago I started creating a big Halo space map too, but I quit cuz there just wasn't enough models (and I got bored of WC3). Once you release these models I might give my map another go lol, but great job dude. Any idea on a rough ETA or anything?

Level 3
By the way, I suggest that you take a look at the resources from spacelord- an epic strategy or something like that, that project was terminated but it's rather similar to your halo orbit of reach project, think you might find that useful.....

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Gonna release the models when your finished? (They rock!)

Status
Not open for further replies.