• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I'm sorry about not completing Halo: Blood Gulch, guys. Really, I am. But I had to reload my hard drive and all that complicated stuff and it was lost in the process. HOWEVER! I am beginning a more original project based on Halo, simply called "Halo Wars". It takes place before Halo 1 (no Covenant civil war and there are still many Spartans around) but, oddly, the map is located in the ice caps on Halo.

The game plays out like an RTS with a few exceptions. There is no base building: units are transported to the battlefield via Pelican (U.S.N.C.) or via Covenant Dropship (Covenant) and are dropped off, with the exception of the Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (O.D.S.T.), who is dropped directly from space to the battlefield. I have yet to figure out how to trigger this, any suggestions would be appreciated!

The aim of the game is to capture all the various control points scattered throughout the map by putting moving a unit over it. The last unit to touch the control point will be forced to stay there, unless another unit takes its place. Once you control all of the control points, you win.

Income is earned periodically, and is multiplied by the number of control points you own. The formula is as follows: number of control points+1*10=income per half a minute.

My main concerns are as follows: balance, no leakless triggers, fun and realistic gameplay, professional terrain, and have all of them stay as true to the Halo series as possible. I've been working on the terrain first, and I've finished the WIPs. I've started progress on unit balancing, and so far, I think I'm doing good. Please, post comments/suggestions! I'm uploading pictures as we speak.

Edit: Unfortunately, the pictures aren't coming through, so I guess I'll have to make do without for now... but I've almost finished the U.N.S.C. units.

Edit: Update! I've finished and perfected the unit system, in which units are delivered to the battlefield by a flying transport, which drops them off, and then flies away. The only problem is that this system, in order to be MPI, can not be MUI, which is bad. Maybe I'll have a system which when you train units, they are added to a hidden unit group, and then are delivered as a whole after a few seconds?

Last edited:
Level 4
Couldn't you use the infernal spawn special effect, then maybe an explosion special effect while the unit itself is added to where the infernal hit.

Level 15
No. That would look very... well, unprofessional. I already know how triggers for unit spawning would look like, so it's not necessary. But your suggestion is noted.

Edit: Unless you're talking about O.D.S.T.s. How those would drop, I know. But what model to use? Maybe I just won't include O.D.S.T.s.

Level 4
Were talking Halo here, your projected audience is 10-14 year olds, they care about concept and fun, not professionalism.

Level 15
I don't care about my "projected audience". I care about making a good impression on the veteran users here at the hive. Besides, people have more fun playing good maps than playing terrible maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.