1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Grow in the area of Starcraft 2.

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Napoqe, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I'm creating this topic for that members of staff, disclose more for people of Starcraft 2. To have more features, mods, etc...

I always thought more organized here and more beautiful interface. Of that those other sites.

sc2mapster.com is very bad to find something, and forum very ugly.

I think the number one (best) resource site for Warcraft. Why not leave it too good for Starcraft? :)

2. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is mostly because people prefer WCIII over SCII

3. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    I also prefer, but Warcraft this abandoned. Of for do everything in Starcraft 2, in that Warcraft that could.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, I mentioned last year or so that one of Hive's advantages is the interface and being easy to navigate. However, that is it. The site did not properly accommodate SC2, in spite of all efforts and god knows I did try to make it happen.

Then Blizzard had the decision of supporting either SC2Mapster or the Hive. They chose SC2Mapster. These are the cards on the table: Hive was turned down. I have a few good guessed as to why.

Then again, SC2 was, modding-wise, a huge failure. The Editor came with the most rudimentary limitations — map dimensions and textures being examples I constantly refer — instilled in it and it lacked an instruction manual for people who don't study computer science at college.

Right now, the modding activity should be at its peak, but it is (apparently) declining: several threads in SC2Map have been created around that issue. We would be way late and using a non-prosperous period. I believe certain amends can be made, but we will most unlikely ever win the race — not only against SC2Mapster, but ourselves.

FockeWulf, at SC2Mapster, likes to use this graphic for reference: http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=sc2mapster#q="hive workshop", sc2mapster&cmpt=q

5. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They might redo the whole editorial console and its objects in a more later years I guess, though I haven't touched the tool, but reading people's commentary across the net made me realize starcraft 2's editor is a bit rough on the edge.

6. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    You remember same, the Hiveworkshop is better to explain the tutorials. Mostly the of models and icons of Warcraft (for import).

7. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Blizzard killed Mapping with SC2.
    Just insanely stupid what they did with the editor.

About the WC3 modding:
    It's dying faster and faster.
    There will always be people modding with it, but it's peek is long time over.

I wish I could have a bigger community again, since I have some new ideas left that would definitely make a new genre of games...

But there is not enough support anymore. I need some more models, some systems, some icons ... too bad.

8. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    I do not like that Battle.net system (which is in Starcraft 2), monitoring the maps. Maps that have copyright violations are removed. Out that had freedom to do whatever you like in Warcraft 3.

9. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm going to perform some changes to the submission rules of all resources that will probably direct half of our resources to the Needs Fix section. At least we'll have quality resources after that.

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Restricting the standards is not the solution or, I think, even a part of it. Unless you'd like to explain your reasoning. I could say that the standards should be looser so that more people will post that sort of resource which, while not particularly original in itself, is useful for this or the other mapper.

On a second note, identity: Hive, the WC3 site, was known as an in-between concerning quality. It seems we turned out well: we are the largest non-Asian site yet.

On a third note: history. The strictness of standards has been tried before — WC3Campaigns. Nowadays, the site is deserted. Why? Because people preferred more lenient standards, so Hive won the duel.

11. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Quality>Quantity

12. Marshmalo

Marshmalo

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you make a good point, I have SC2 but just find it too complicated and slow to mod. The modding approach blizzard took to starcraft 2 seems to have been alot more casual than wc3, if you look at all the sc2 costum games they seem to be very arcade stylie, aim at quick casual play.

Not the huge and very deep RPG or strategy maps you get with WC3.

I realy REALLY hope blizzard learn from this and when they finaly make WC4 they make the editer easier to use.

Yes the golen age of wc3 modding has passed but even now more than 10 years on it still have a very active and healthy modding and play base. I think thats in a large part to MMH website.

However this is now a huge range of rescources for modding wc3, the general quality of costum maps have greatly improved since "the golden age".

13. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    What you said is very true and I liked your post. In fact the editor of Starcraft 2 is very complicated. Compared to the World Editor. :)

Outside that Warcraft gets better with style for RPG games.

Edit:

And the World of Warcraft killed the dream of Warcraft 4.

14. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    With the release of Hive 2, the new Starcraft 2 section will make it's debut.
    So stay tuned. It's nearing completion :goblin_yeah:

15. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I rather revive WC3 Modding than get used to SC2. :/

16. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We've heard that quite a few times now. Any guesses to the date? :con:

17. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Soon™.
    ------------------
    A dedicated SC2 section (that isn't terrible like the current one), may renew my interest in SC2 modding or at least the hive in general.

Then again, SC2 ladder is still pretty damn fun.

18. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    and the fact that Wc3 is cheaper than SCII... not every modder can afford it... and the fact that modding is more complicated...

most modders doesn't really want to do some super high class map [that are doable only in SCII] but rather just simple, fun to play maps...

19. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Truth. The DotA 1 was formerly well. And also liked "Anime Fight" that it was a map of anime that used models was of the Warcraft.

20. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    but SCII can probably be popular modding wise, if more people get to work on it... though it might be hard...