• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Starcraft II's place on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello. Ive been using the hive workshop since 2006. The features Ive enjoyed most of this site is the guide in the top left that will quickly take me to the maps section, the skins section, the models section, etc. I think it would be great if this was the same deal for Starcraft II, just in blue. Ive searched through the Starcraft II forum, News, Site Discussion, and I cant seem to find any talk about this specific feature that I enjoy so much. Is this something that is being discussed or thought about somewhere?

All I want is organized, easy, and quick access to go from the User CP (which is what is bookmarked on my computer) to the maps (to check if any interesting new maps are out) to models (to see if their are any interesting models out) and etc for the other aspects of modding.

Pardon me if this is idea already has its own topic. I see other threads talking about "themes" and "Forum-trees" but not this.

Level 36
When it comes to SC2, we really have two problems, it seems.

If we don't emphasize SC2, Hive will probably fall behind the other modding sites in activity and relevance, because the other sites will be catering to SC2 mappers and giving them a better environment to post their maps, questions, etc.

If we fully emphasize SC2, WC3 modding will die. Hive really is the only reason WC3 modding is still active, sure you could say WC3C etc are important as well, but those sites are so inactive that they don't even really factor into the equation, despite how good their modders are. Hive has all of the activity.

So the focus should be split evenly; we should design a simple new homepage that has two links, one to the SC2 part of the site, and one to the WC3 part of the site. What I'm thinking of right now is really something as simple as two big icon buttons with the logos of each game.

Level 11
Well obviously you guys are gonna do what you think is best. But I think the Warcraft 3 portion of this site should simply be maintained, and Starcraft II should be built up to it. Warcraft 3 modding is great but Starcraft II is basically the spiritual successor to it in terms of modding. I personally don't understand why it would be so bad to let Warcraft 3 modding die out? I think it had a great run but its at the end of that run. Isn't the future Starcraft II? I dont see Warcraft 3 in that future.

Level 36
I personally don't understand why it would be so bad to let Warcraft 3 modding die out? I think it had a great run but its at the end of that run. Isn't the future Starcraft II? I dont see Warcraft 3 in that future.

First of all, I have my reasons for disliking the direction in which Blizzard is taking SC2 modding.

Second, saying that SC2 is WC3's successor is like saying the new Star Wars MMORPG is going to replace WoW. Sure it is in a way, but it's not like this is WC4. This is the Starcraft universe. After almost a decade of modding, you still don't see tons and tons of quality Starcraft-relevant models floating around in WC3. Even if SC2 modders have this in mind, which I'm sure they will, it will still be a long time, maybe several years before there are enough relevant models released to the public to create a good Warcraft-themed map, and even longer before you can create an entire, well-done Warcraft environment.

Level 11
I think an average looking SC2 environment looks better then a high quality WC3 environment. Also I said its a spiritual successor, not flat out successor. This is the closest thing to Warcraft 4 we are gonna get for at least a few years. Finally, the Starcraft II community is massive right now. I think we will see models flow out sooner and at much higher rates relative to Warcraft 3's release.

Of course im not saying we should kill Warcraft 3. I am saying the focus should shift towards the future of modding, not linger in the "once was".

Level 7
I don't see why we're shifting towards Starcraft 2 anyways, we already have sc2mapster.. no reason to expand, IMO. And we certainly shouldn't let WC3 modding die out, not until WC4 comes out (which I'm pretty sure will)

But, let's stay on topic, I don't want to spark any discussions xP

Level 22
I don't see why we're shifting towards Starcraft 2 anyways, we already have sc2mapster.. no reason to expand, IMO. And we certainly shouldn't let WC3 modding die out, not until WC4 comes out (which I'm pretty sure will)

Wtf?? You dont know what you're talking. How is moving to mapster a solution? You're basically saying - hey people 60% of you will use SC2 everything now that it's out, go all to mapster, you dont need THW anymore, Ralle loses members and traffic, big deal.

Lol counting on WC4 to come out? Gl. Maybe in 5 years considering Blizzard are working on WoW, D3 and SC2, they think of wc4? Seems you like waiting.

Level 11
I want the hive to be the primary SC2 site. I love the Hive. It is the best Warcraft 3 site out there. I don't understand and don't like the lack of enthusiasm people on this site have shown for Starcraft II. Don't expect WC4 to come out for a long time. They plan on doing at least 2 expansions of SC2, more Diablo, World of Warcraft (which delayed SC2). They might even be done with the RTS Warcraft worlds. They might just go to Starcraft 3 once their plate clears.

I mean the main Hive guys here can do what they want, we all live in free countries. They do what they feel is best. But I am now sadly searching for a new modding home. You won't miss me. Whatever its chill.

Level 11
Well it depends on they make Starcraft 3. I did not play Starcraft 1. I have watched only a couple replays. But they seem like the same thing albeit with a major graphics overhaul. I wouldn't want a Starcraft 3 with yet more Mutilisks and SCV's and bunkers. But their universe isn't done. They can do a totally different time period that refreshes the series. Maybe make a better campaign that feels more like a RPG when talking with your ship mates but still an RTS at heart.

Those ideas might sound horrible, but they just broke records with Starcraft 2. They are a business looking to score money. With a hit game like Starcraft 2, it's not like they are going to stop there. But what do I know. I'm just some guy on some forums.

Level 13
Just a tidbit for everyone out there wanting to switch to SC2Mapster; I was on SC2 Mapster for awhile... they suck compared to THW. Everyone has questions and nobody has answers, most of the tutorials are lacking and it's a far shot from being organized. If you don't believe it - try it. You'll be back. :mwahaha:
----------------------------------------------------
As a side note. What if the main page for THW looked something like this?
concept.jpg

Just this kind of 'concept'. Splitting the page into a choice between SCII modding and WCIII modding.
Might be kinda neat if you implemented some sort of flash interface too, for a map/skin/model/etc. -of the day. Something like http://www.flashxml.net/3d-carousel-menu.html perhaps? Anyway, just suggestions. I know you're a beast at web-design though ralle so whatever you create will end up being infinitely better than any of us can imagine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.