• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Global Warming - Our Fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
America has a high percentage because it is one of the largest/wealthiest countries in the world. I know there is alot of poor people but in most countries people are using civil transport, walk or ride bikes, and here almost everyone above 15 has a car (i'm the exception, FUCKERS!!!)

Fixed .

I really don

I don't think its human caused at all, it could be natural if you ask me. The Earth still produces more carbon than we do, so, though we have contributed to the warming of our Earth, it could be part of some far larger process that has been happening (very slowly) for thousands of years.

Remember that the Earth in the time of the dinosaurs was tropical. Vast jungles covered the Earth, with a very hot humid climate in place. All that changed with the ice ages, but perhaps that's where we are headed again, to tropical paradise.

It's all fine and great that we make an effort to reduce our impact on the Earth, but I don't think we are completely responsible for the change in climate the Earth is experiencing.

You think where heading to "tropical paradise"... well, have you even considered how long it takes plants and animals to adapt to new environments? With Earth's climate changing at the speed it is, and also countless other environmental issues that people are mostly ignoring at present (Did you know there isn't a single living organism left on are planet with out traces of pesticides in it) the currently existing tropics will certainly be wiped out and new tropical environments will probably not come up probably for as long as Homo Sapiens will exist. Just take a look at this list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_issues and read up on some of them. You'll soon understand just how big an impact humans have on the planet and where we'd probably end up if we don't do anything.
By the way I don't buy into the tropics being a 'paradise' idea, there's a lot of biting bugs, diseases, and other things that can make the tropics no better a place to live in then anywhere else.

Level 36
Thread has been reengaged.

I don't think we as humans have the capacity to destroy the world. I'm honestly not really concerned for Humanity, because we'll be gone before you know it, but the actual Earth? We adapt. Something else will come along in a few hundred million years and that will be that, wave goodbye to humanity.

All i'm saying is that we aren't entirely responsible for global warming, and there are so many misconceptions with carbon production, etc, that it's rediculous.

Level 14
agreed.. but all of this has been said before.
It's just the retards in "power" who think that global warming is a real concern. "Zomg leik we are teh cuase of golbal wamring"
To think that we have such a huge impact on the world is ridiculous. The time span we've been on Earth is like a blink of the eye, compared to how long the world has been.

Omg carbon emissions! lawlz!!!1!!!!!111!!!

Eat me Al Gore.

One can only hope that everyone who believes global warming is our fault will be assassinated.

Last edited:
Level 36
I have to agree. While it can be said that reducing our carbon emissions is one thing, still more problems exist.

The expenses and resources involved with green-energy projects go right over our heads, so the average neogreen-type has no clue that most of the time its just better to stick with what we're doing than to pursue the "green" choices.

Level 14
I, and all the freshman class of my university, was forced to take a class on global warming, and CO2 emissions.
But they proved themselves wrong several times, it was rather funny. They would point to charts that said the world has had many different climate changes, and that usually it took from hundreds to even thousands of years for Earth to change again. But they also mentioned that in-between those periods of warm and/or cool, there were periods where the temperature either went up or down.

Technically, we're (Earth) is a cooling period. But because a temperatures raise 1 degree or so, they think we're causing it. Yet they fail to mention it has barely been enough time to even try to make plausible reasons for this. It could be that Earth is just doing it naturally. Oh man, imagine that.. the Earth doing something.. NATURALLY.

Temperature has always gone up and down, and it will continue to do so. Infact, I remember hearing a news story a week or two ago that this May was the coolest May on record (at least where I live).

So please, if you (anyone) are reading this and actually believe that Global Warming is caused by the big bad CO2 emissions from the big bad nations of the world, take a look at the science behind global warming and you will realize it is all a farce.

And yes, it would cost a tremendous amount of money and time to change everything to the "eco-friendly" alternative energy. But unfortunately the "eco-friendly" nutjobs don't realize that. "liek teh US is evilz and we must stop Co2 emissions! lawlz"

P.S. Al Gore, and the scientists involved, won his Nobel Peace Prize for their science on global warming, over someone who safe housed Jews from the Nazi's. Goodjob Nobel Prize committee. Al Gore is the biggest joke to science and American politics since Jimmy Carter.

P.S.S. sorry for the anti-gorism.. and the entrance of american politics, it's off topic but I hate him so much I can't avoid it.

P.S.S.S. Anyone else find it funny that the Founder of the Weather Channel is (or at least was) thinking of suing Al Gore for fraud on Global warming. Lawls.

Last edited:
Level 7
Well some animals will adapt to the environment in different ways, Hey! Maybe Pigs will fly and lions will swim! Wolphins (whale dolphins) will be endangered and the graffiti will become carnivorous!

Level 27
I don't think we as humans have the capacity to destroy the world.
Depends on your definition of destroying the world. The way some people define it, we certainly could destroy it. (eg. nuclear missiles.)
I'm honestly not really concerned for Humanity, because we'll be gone before you know it
So I take it your planning on killing a bunch of humans and not having any children?

Think about it, 6 billion animals, each with potential that far surpasses any organism that has ever lived, reproducing like crazy, and even going to other objects in space.
With our technology, you'd have to melt the entire surface of the Earth very quickly in order to kill all of us.
To think that we have such a huge impact on the world is ridiculous. The time span we've been on Earth is like a blink of the eye, compared to how long the world has been.
So? I don't see the other organism that made cities. We've been here so short, and look at all we have done, while the dinosaurs were here how long and did what? Don't try to argue our age, it only shows to prove our incredible speed.
You know that actually doesn't bother at all. New species will be there to replace them right?
Not necessarily quickly, look at a desert. But I would not consider extinction a very big problem.

Okay, there is no (real) debate that global warming is happening and natural.

The real debate is whether humans are affecting it's speed.

So unless you are one of the scientist who understands how all these gases flow and how heat flows through them, you're opinion is worthless.

From what I understand, and from what the scientists say, humans affecting global warming seems plausible and probable.

Level 14
And unless you back up your opinion with facts, your opinion is useless.
I'll give it to you that yes, obviously we've done more to the planet than any other living organism on it. Buildings, roads, or whatever example you want to give. What happens to a building when it's abandoned and never taken care of by anyone? The plants and wildlife take over the building and eventually it falls and over time it returns to the way it was before the building was ever built.
The point is that the earth has, and will continue, to live before and after Humans. Yes we could have an affect on the temperature.. but only right now. We're far too concerned with ourselves to realize that it really doesn't matter on a global timescale. If we do mess it up the world will naturally correct itself, because if you've ever taken any sort of environmental class, it's done it before and it will do it again.

Humans are arrogant and stupid. The end, thank you for trying though.

Level 27
And unless you back up your opinion with facts, your opinion is useless.
Sure is.
We're far too concerned with ourselves to realize that it really doesn't matter on a global timescale.
I find it funny when people say these things, and without quoting other people, give only themselves as evidence, proving themselves wrong.

Level 14
And I love it when people say things that have nothing to do with the topic. Please if you are going to try to make a point at least stay on topic.
You want evidence that the humans have only been on the planet for a fraction of time that the Earth has been a planet? That's easy enough to find.. even for someone who has absolutely no computer skills. ROFL ROFL2 .
Please.. you get the point.. I could find endless sources on this and it's honestly not worth my time. Hell I could even find, somewhere in the bowels of hell, my old lectures from school from some of the leading environmental speakers in the world.
Please think before you speak next time. The earliest fossil of a "human" was dated to 3.6 million years ago and the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, even I can do that math. And we have only been as we are for about 50,000-10,000 years.

So stop talking like you know everything, because it's quite obvious that you don't.

Last edited:
Level 6
The tempeture is indeed rising, how ever, i find it's cause highly unlikly that we are causing it with carbon emissions, you know how much carbon comes out of a volcanoe explosions? **** loads is how much, one valcanic explosions can put so many freaken mega tons of carbon, more than we can make for a long time. so how is it us that killing the planet when we haven't even made more carbon than one or more volcanic Eruptions make?

Have you ever considered it is the sun that is causing our planet to warm? Its not like the sun gives off the same amount of radiation year after year after year, some times it gives off more, some times less, some scientists beleive that the "Little Ice age" in Mideival Europe was caused because the sun was giving off less radiation.

I watched a show on the History channel once, and they say if carbon emissions arent stopped, most of the world will be under water. They showed us a map of what Florida will be like in 25 years, they say the water level will rise 3 ft, and they show the water travel 100s of miles inland, that just seems incredebly impossible that water will seep 100s of miles inland of Florida over a 3ft increase in sea level...

Heres a fact, while the north pole is melting, the Antartica is growing, i watched this NBC green is Universal week on tv, and some scientist lady is say that Antartica is grwoing because we are reducing carbon emmisions, but how can that be true, if Carbon emissions are at an all time high!?! Norht pole shrinking, Antartica growing, does this seem the work of Mankind or perhaps a natrual cycle of the Earth?

Last edited:
Level 27
And what if there are no new species to replace them? :smile:

Its either

1. Nature is something total uncontrollable which you can fuck up

or

2. Everything we think is bad happens all the time, its just a cycle. Things die, new things are there to replace and them and when all resources have run out we all die and its the end =p

And btw if you think its 2 then wouldn't be rather just speeding up the warming then causing it?

Level 7
1. Nature is something total uncontrollable which you can fuck up

If you can't control nature how do you screw it up, hm? Lol.

We CAN control some natural things. Such as... GLOBAL WARMING! How can we do this you may be asking? Well, whenever you have the chance, take an empty soda bottle or plastic soda carrier (Idk what it is called) and go into the middle of the ocean and throw it into it! See? We Can do things!

Or if you are a preventer of Global Warming

Follow the guy who was going to throw the stuff into the ocean. When you get to him/her, pull out a weapon (hopefully not loaded) and pretend it is loaded (if it is, then you're in trouble). Take the unloaded gun and force the person go back home and stop polluting the planet. We just helped to stop global warming!

Level 18
You know it's funny because some people believe it was Global Warming that killed the dinos. but how can that be true they were not driving cars and being evil polluters IT CANT BE!!!! Well you see the theory states volcanic activity vastly kicks anything in the nads when it comes to global warming. So all that natural volcanic activity caused the natural global warming which naturally killed off the dinos.
Well damn, that sucks for them.

So unless you are one of the scientist who understands how all these gases flow and how heat flows through them, you're opinion is worthless.

From what I understand, and from what the scientists say, humans affecting global warming seems plausible and probable.

From what I understand. Scientists are saying Humans have little to no effect on global warming, and your false opinion on what scientists say is useless.

Butterfly effect much? OMG NO WAIZ!?

We CAN control some natural things. Such as... GLOBAL WARMING! How can we do this you may be asking? Well, whenever you have the chance, take an empty soda bottle or plastic soda carrier (Idk what it is called) and go into the middle of the ocean and throw it into it! See? We Can do things!

Follow the guy who was going to throw the stuff into the ocean. When you get to him/her, pull out a weapon (hopefully not loaded) and pretend it is loaded (if it is, then you're in trouble). Take the unloaded gun and force the person go back home and stop polluting the planet. We just helped to stop global warming!

Yea, that soda bottle will eventually wash up on shore. the soda carrier as well but possibly could effect an animal not much to do with global warming.
Pulling a gun on anyone even an unloaded one and forcing someone to do something against their will is illegal. So there is no difference if the gun is loaded or not.

And none of that has anything to do with global warming.

Level 27
You know it's funny because some people believe it was Global Warming that killed the dinos. but how can that be true they were not driving cars and being evil polluters IT CANT BE!!!! Well you see the theory states volcanic activity vastly kicks anything in the nads when it comes to global warming. So all that natural volcanic activity caused the natural global warming which naturally killed off the dinos.
Well damn, that sucks for them.
I thought that the volcanic activity blotted out the sun and froze the dinos (according to that theory), not raised the temperature. After all, right after them was the ice age.
That's just what I remember from my obsessive childhood over dinosaurs though, dunno how much of it is actually correct (in theory, of course)
--donut3.5--

Level 27

You're way to naive lol =p

And if you can't control nature it means that it is just a 'thing' in which you can do whatever you want. And when you do bad things you turn your environment into a bad place, and if you let your environment rest you get a good environment.

And i think you will have to kill everyone if you're going to prevent global warming that way (Btw i don't see how a soda bottle can cause global warming but ok)

Level 18
I thought that the volcanic activity blotted out the sun and froze the dinos (according to that theory), not raised the temperature. After all, right after them was the ice age.
That's just what I remember from my obsessive childhood over dinosaurs though, dunno how much of it is actually correct (in theory, of course)
--donut3.5--

Ermm, I thought the dust blotting out the sun theory was the meteor theory.
The meteor hit the earth causing a thick blanket of dust to block the sun and send it into an early ice age or something along those lines.

There is a bunch of theories donut, however I never heard one that said volcanic activity caused the blocking of the sun.

Level 21
The K–T extinction event, as it is properly known, is not fact. However, it is the same as saying evolution is not fact; because while we arent 100% sure that it is correct, there is a large amount of evidence for it and in the non-religous comunity it is generally agreed to be correct. We can be sure a large asteroid collided with earth on the coast mexico, and while this probably caused the dinosoars to die out it is not definative, and how the asteroid caused this to happen is debated. Its probably a multitude of events caused by the asteroid impact, including tidlewaves, volcanic eruptions and the sky being thick with ash.

Level 7
Ermm, I thought the dust blotting out the sun theory was the meteor theory.
The meteor hit the earth causing a thick blanket of dust to block the sun and send it into an early ice age or something along those lines.

There is a bunch of theories donut, however I never heard one that said volcanic activity caused the blocking of the sun.

Well, maybe so. But then again the volcanoes could of been helping way before. Maybe without the volcanoes there wouldn't be enough dust for the meteor to have actually blocked out the sun.

Or if there were more volcanoes, their amount of dust could have blocked out the sky. Who knows? We weren't alive back then...

some theroyes suggest Chuck Norris killed off te dinosaurs

Level 18
We can be sure a large asteroid collided with earth on the coast mexico, and while this probably caused the dinosoars to die out it is not definative, and how the asteroid caused this to happen is debated. Its probably a multitude of events caused by the asteroid impact, including tidlewaves, volcanic eruptions and the sky being thick with ash.

There is a few main theories.
The Impact theory - asteroid, boom, all hell breaks loose.
Volcano greenhouse theory - Volcanic activity spurred enough environmental changes to cause all hell to break loose.
Supernova explosion - A supernova exploded several thousand light years away destroying our atmosphere effectively allowing the sun to cook the unprotected organisms.

Personally I am a fan of theory 1, with a tad bit of theory 2.

Level 7
Well that theroy is not accountable for ALL area of the world, I believe from Mexico to Russia and Mexico (other coast) to Europe it effected, but some creatures still survived for a another few years until Ice Age...

Level 18
Oh right, it was an asteroid, my bad.
But if the greenhouse gases from volcanoes heated the earth, why would it go into an ice age right after?
--donut3.5--

Thats why the I prefer the impact theory. Although I think volcanism and the greenhouse gases caused a big drop in dinosaur population which was later wiped out from the asteroid and huge dust clouds causing the cooling effect and the ice age.

Level 3
Earth has a history of climate change and many 'natural', if that is a correct term to use, events. I agree humanity has just realized in the past decades we leave behind a very large footprint on our world and our habits have not aided to the climate change.

In my opinion reversing/preventing global warming as many people push for is unlikely to happen. We may not have started the rising climate but our impact has intensified and speed up the process.

Yes we need to focus on cleaning up our bad habits and work to better the situation. But as a family living along the Gulf of Mexico I would like to be better informed of what effects we will see in the long-run if society fails to get its act together. Iam not in the state of mind that there is no hope and we need to bunker down and wait for it to happen. However iam also not a supporter of putting something off until its to late. It will be a barrel of joy if the sea level would not rise as we would be the ones (as all of the coastal communties world wide) to go under.

Level 9
A-the first post assumes god is real, thats not the topic here.

B-global warming is NOT our fault, our own work is less then 10% of it. its true we make it go warmer faster, but only by a little. there is less O3 in the air, but the gases that "ruin" the ozone also block sun rays, jest less effectively.

C-I do say we should ignore it. it will happen anyhow, we can at best slow it down. don't fight it-flow with it, change our way of life to FIT the new situation instead of trying to change it, we DO NOT have the ability to terraform planets, not even our own.

Level 27
From what I understand. Scientists are saying Humans have little to no effect on global warming, and your false opinion on what scientists say is useless.
This is what happens when you read different stuff than I do.
Maybe we should fight back.
Here here! I'll help. Have some corn grown far underground where we can, and have, set up any environment we so wish.

Level 9
Level 9
You missed my point, I was saying we don't need to stop global warming as it is impossible-we need to work it so we would not get hurt from it. IE: building floating cities\underground cities.

Level 21
We are just speeding it up, so it's our fault partially.

are we? prove it, show me evidence that the miniscule amount carbon that we put in the atmosphere is affecting climate change.

heres something to think our output is less than 0.1% of the carbon released into the atmosphere every year by volcanoes on average.

government "green" tax on companies is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Level 27
are we? prove it, show me evidence that the miniscule amount carbon that we put in the atmosphere is affecting climate change.

heres something to think our output is less than 0.1% of the carbon released into the atmosphere every year by volcanoes on average.

government "green" tax on companies is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, Carbon dioxide content of our atmosphere: 0.03811%. Carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas that makes out planet not an ice house, by the way.

A small thing can make a difference, it takes an expert to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.