• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

17,100 scientists say global warming isnt happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i wrote this for a peice of homework....its not particularly well written as that is not my strong point, and i also wrote it really quickly as i had to hand it in next lesson so some of it may sound weird or not be 100% accurate, however most of it is. but it does have some intresting information and mabey you would like to share your opinoins on the subject.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p357.htm

this is an online petition with over 17,100 signatures of experts, many with phds or better qualifications in related fields such as geosciences and meteorology, who have all agreed that global warming is not happening and is not a problem. i personally agree with them, and i have agreed with them for years. i try to consider the argument in real terms, the problem ofcorse is carbon emissions into the atmosphere, did you know that every year millions of tons of carbon is released into the atmophere, however the vast majority of it comes from the sea! infact i think i read a figue that the total emissions from human influence is less than 0.1% the total global natural emission. not only that but carbon is dissolved into the sea and released in what is known as a dynamic equilibrium. and if you have done chemistry you would know that this mean there is always a constant amount of carbon in the sea as out of it, and no matter how much carbon you add, the sea will always absorb it to balance this equilibrium. not only that but the actual amount we put into the atmosphere is so miniscule that it wouldnt make a difference anyway, although i dont know the exact figuers i do know that the atmosphere is many many times greater in volume than the volume of carbon we release, a few million tons of carbon is nothing compared to a few trillion tons of atmosphere.

global warming facts:

1. in the roman times the temperature was possiblyas much as 3 degrees hotter than it is now.
2. we know that we are currently exiting an ice age which means the planet is naturally warming anyways.
3. a considerably large amount of carbon is needed to produce the insulating effect predicted
4. the vast majority of the "freak weather" can be attributed to known meteological effects. this includes things such as salt concentrations in the ocean as seen in the film, the day after tommorow, but we know the effect would not be as epic as we see in the film.
5. flooding can happen in cycles and tends to shift around the world, the sahara desert was once the sahara ocean.
6.most weather and climate changes are gradual and take thousands of years.
7. recent evidence shows that the planets temperature overall may be DECREASING even with the strange weather we are experiencing.

this is my opinion on the subject based on fact, not simulations or predictions or media hype. global warming does not exist, however an important note is that the ozone layer is being depleted by CFC emmisions. this causes harmful rays to penetrate the ozone layer and they can damage our skin. while most CFC emmisions have stopped the ozone damage is clear, one chlorine atom from a cfc can destroy 100 molecules of ozone in the free radical substitution reaction. more information on this is available on the internet.

Level 36
I agree, I think that the whole global warming thing is a ton of BS. Sure, it would be good to get people to drive down their emissions (it can only help, right?) but i'm sure that the whole situation is being blown out of proportion as usual. Like right here in Canada, around the end of November, and into December even, we were having freakishly warm weather. No snow and it was always much warmer then seasonal temperatures. People were screaming bloody murder about global warming. Yesterday, I walked outside in the morning and it was -17 C without the windchill. The day before that it was -26. Global warming isn't happening.

Level 4
Pollution defenitly needs too stop but I never belived in the whole global warming thing. Its good too know theres some solid ideas/facts stating there isnt really global warming.

Level 21
alot of the global warming is happening debate is based around experimental, simulated or predicted data. i dont actually know all the details around that part of the debate but i think the whole argument can be summed up like this:

carbon compounds could build a insulating layer around our planet which could raise the temperature, but we (as humans) have not produced even close to enough carbon to cause this effect and most of the strange weather we see can be attributed to natural cycles including the one which has caused the temperature to rise over the last 100 years.

if you know details about the argument that global warming is happening i would be intrested to hear them.

Level 12
I live in small town. Not much stench of petrol and such here. ;) However some small place near the town has a papper factory that throws out gases and shit that sometimes comes with the rain to my town, making it smell nasty outside.

Level 36
Thankfully, here in Canada emissions aren't that bad, as long as you live outside of Toronto. Toronto is regularily hazy or smoggy due to the pollution there. Here in London, though, we have very little smog and such, and since we have so many trees (we're called the Forest City) the air remains clean and quite fresh and breathable. Even more so for me since I live about 30 seconds outside of London, so less traffic and such for me :)

Level 6
The pollution in Vancouver varies according to the time of year. In late fall/winter/early spring, the air is very clean, however, during the hottest months of summer, the pollution is visible. Still, it is very mild compared to other cities that I have travelled to.

Level 8
17,100 scientists out of how many? Since the official polls and records state that 93% of questioned scientists agree that global warming is caused by human factors, as well as terrestrial, that means that 17,100 is only 7% of the polled scientists.
This sounds like a very poor report designed to mislead people into thinking one way or another.

Like right here in Canada, around the end of November, and into December even, we were having freakishly warm weather. No snow and it was always much warmer then seasonal temperatures. People were screaming bloody murder about global warming. Yesterday, I walked outside in the morning and it was -17 C without the windchill. The day before that it was -26. Global warming isn't happening.

That's a common misconception. Just because Global Warming is happening, doesn't mean it will instantly become blazing hot. If you took the data from the last twenty years, got the average temperature for each year, you would note that it is increasing. Not dramatically, no. But none the less, it is increasing. Also, after the ice caps melt, our world will be thrown into another ice-age.

It's not all our fault. Scientists have noticed that the ice caps on Mars are melting as well, which they theorize is the cause of an increase in the Sun's temperature. But, some of the blame remains with us, regardless of the Sun's changes.

Now, just out of curiosity, how many of you have watched the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" ?

Level 6
Ok this is what I'm thinking:Global Warming is happening, its happening right now, the tsunami, remember the incident? there was an earthquake under the sea right? its obvious Global Warming must've done that(Well I think it did, Im not sure about you guys) and plus over here when it was winter, instead of it being dull and boring, it appeared to be sunny and lively, how could this be? Global Warming. The plants and animals already coming out and they dont know whats happening, its been happening Winter, why? because it was sunny, how could it be sunny? Global Warming. They've been warning us since I dont know, cant remember, about another Ice Age happening, which I think is alot of bs. But Global Warming isnt bs, its happening right now. Go ahead, call me a retard, chew me out.

Level 21
well things you (and everyone) need to understand is that yes global warming is happening but it is not nessecarly happening due to human influnce. the argument for most scientists is no so much is it happening, its more are we affecting it and is it really as bad as people are saying. for both those questions i think no due to the points i made in my first post. none the less be ready for warmer winter and stranger weather because the world is warming up, but i dont think its going the be the end of the world or anything.

and yes another ice age will (more than likely) happen, but seeing as we have just left one it is doubtful that it will come for thousands, if not millions of years.

Level 6
Well since the new explanation came out for the cause of Global Warming I also ask the question, is it really us Humans causing it? it could be that we are apart of it, we might not be, but I dont understand much, I aint good when it comes to Science and stuff, if the sun is exploding stars(Causing novas) how can it affect the world? Hmmm once I saw on MSN that in 9 years time there could be a thing named a Global Meltdown, when everything will begin to melt slowly, k I think thats bs. And back to my question, my uncle who says that lightning hit him or it was some sort of meteor, the explanation of the Sun tells me that a meteor didnt come into our atmosphere and burn up, it was something to do with the sun blowing up a star(God I seriously suck at this) it could've caused a sonic boom or whatever it is called to cause his lorry to be on its side. I dunno, Im stupid with this stuff! :p.

Level 45
Ok this is what I'm thinking:Global Warming is happening, its happening right now, the tsunami, remember the incident? there was an earthquake under the sea right? its obvious Global Warming must've done that(Well I think it did, Im not sure about you guys) and plus over here when it was winter, instead of it being dull and boring, it appeared to be sunny and lively, how could this be? Global Warming. The plants and animals already coming out and they dont know whats happening, its been happening Winter, why? because it was sunny, how could it be sunny? Global Warming. They've been warning us since I dont know, cant remember, about another Ice Age happening, which I think is alot of bs. But Global Warming isnt bs, its happening right now. Go ahead, call me a retard, chew me out.

how the heck does global warming cause that? That was caused by the earths plates rubbing together which created an earthquake under the sea. o.0

and seriously, if you didnt know winter can have sunny days when you were born..then i suggest you get out..just alittle bit =/

Level 36
Yeah, it's apparent that someone hasen't seen the light of day in a long looooong time. Sun and Winter happen. It's winter now and the sun is out here. Amazing! That has absolutely nothing to do with global warming. Earthquakes have absolutely nothing to do with global warming either, they are a natural occurance caused by tectonic plates shifting, moving and rubbing against eachother. Absolutely nothing to do with the amount of carbon in the atmosphere, and the condition of our ozone layer. If you're 'stupid about this stuff' then why bother trying to take part in an intelligent conversation?!

Level 21
lolol, not trying to be mean but as you said your science needs work :p

i dont know what you mean about new theories or explainations on global warming, most of them have been around for over 10 years. its only media intrest and more powerful computers being able to simulate events that are new.

exploding stars havea tendancy to give out alot of nasty radiation and matter that could destroy a planet. if you were within the radius of the explotion your would instantly be vapourised :p but you should be happy to know we can tell what stage in its lifecycle a given star is by observing is size and luminosity, and there are no stars that are near death which could harm our planet. i think a planet needs to be within 10,000 light years to be affected by radiation and we arent this near any stars which will explode.

A LIGHT YEAR IS A MEASURE OF DISTANCE THAT LIGHT TRAVELS IN A YEAR NOT A TIME LENGTH!!!! DO NOT BE A NOOB AND MAKE THIS MISTAKE!!!

global meltdown can refer to the melting ice sheet and ice caps and ice melting in general, so its not like everything will melt...im sure you computer will be ok. or it might refer to an economic global meltdown where the markets collaps and many companies go bankcrupt. the other thing is possibly, but probably isnt refering to is the global china syndrome, which is all to do with nuclear power station over the world having meltdowns, but i have never heard it refered to as that and its probably not that. you tell me.

i have no idea what you are talking about when you mix up meteors, the sun, a sonic boom and your uncle, mabey you are a little confused?

you need to be alot clearer with you questions/explainations/stament hybrid things, to be hounest alot of what you said doesnt make sense becuase of how you have written it. please try to make your writing clearer.

also use google and wikipedia as sources of info, they are really intresting :)

oooh and another note is that the animals and plants should adapt to this rather quickly as life has a tendancy to do, so dont get your cat sun tan lotion just yet, im sure it will survive.

(im not elliageable to a lawsuit if it doesnt :p)

Last edited:
Level 36
Yes, well that's Al Gore trying to send you a heavily over-spun message full of shit about how our environment is teh suxx. I respect Al Gore, what he is doing, but an Inconvenient Truth is just another attempt to break into the mainstream to get people aware about the polluton we are causing. I don't agree with his claims though as they are bound to be biased/overly dramatized to prove a point, sort of like a Michael Moore film.

Status
Not open for further replies.