• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Global Warming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Off Topic:
First Post FTW

back to the topic, I am currently in a place where it is cold,due to global warming (I Think), The climate change has been going on much lately this year. Causing everyone in this place to have colds, coughs and fevers. Please throw your trash properly and dont burn garbage. Thanks xD

Level 11
Sorry if I killed the fun , had to post something related to World News haha
m087.gif

Level 23
Well, you could wait until you thought there was some news, worthy of talking about. Global warming isn't exactly new. It's been around forever :p
But on subject, I do not think that the population of the world is the reason of global warming. I think global warming is the earths way of cleaning up. Due to the global warming, the poles melt out in the warm gulf stream, which provides heat for europe. The gulf stream will become cold, and thereby, europe will get cold, in the end, resulting in an ice age. This cleans up the world. However, we are talking about something that will happen over a period of probably thousands of years.
No worries. Global warming = Hot summers and white christmas ;)

Level 11
The world will therefore be going through a process like, Reset?? where all of our technologies will be washed away just like that.

Level 23
Not if you live like 20-30 meters above sea level

You know, the waters won't raise that much. They are talking like 7 meters, but still that is too much. Think about it.
Water is frozen ice. All the ice that is already below the water surface.. When that melts, it will be the same amount of mass as it was before, thereby it won't make the waters raise. Only the ice above sea level will contribute to the raising waters.
And besides, the world will still get colder, even if you are not under water. And then, what happens when it rains? Well, snow. And ice. So, at some point, the ice age will happen again.
The ice sweeps over the earth, and thereby cleans up.

Level 7
While I admire the optimistic atmosphere the replies are creating, it's only fair to bring out the darker side of global warming. Don't think I'm being pessimistic. More often than not, 'realistic' is a far more suitable adjective to be used in place of that.

Firstly, as is commonly noted, a major effect of global warming is the rising of the Earth's surface temperature. Computer modeling predicts that, as Enjoy mentioned, the sea level could rise by approximately seven meters in a few decades. That doesn't sound like much, does it? But leaving out the fact that rivers - whose source is the sea - will be affected too, and thus, in turn, so will many inland regions, and flooding will be a much larger problem. Apparently, it's been predicted that the tropical islands of Indonesia, Miami and New York's lower Manhattan will be a few of these. Even if human life isn't lost, what about the financial and geological implications that will bring about?

Secondly, the change in temperatures will affect the wildlife. Some may conclude that a relatively minute difference in temperature - such as 8 degrees Celsius - will not have any adverse effects. It's noteworthy to keep in mind that hundreds of thousands of marine species will be affected by changes of sea-current temperatures. Arctic species, such as the polar bear, in addition to Antarctic species, such as the penguin, may have the prospect of going extinct, which would affect the ecosystem's intricate web of interaction.

Finally, I would like to address the statement that human industrialization or population play no role in global warming. Sorry, but I have to call foul on this one. It's common knowledge that harmful gases, such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and even methane, are direct results of improperly supervised human activity. Industrial factories, such as those involved in the manufacturing of mineral products, as well as mining that drills up subterranean pools of noxious gasses contribute greatly to increasing rates of global warming. Carbon emissions from motor vehicles and aerosol products are also factors.

Level 17
I don't this "Global Warming" exists, in fact I don't think it ever will.

What I personally believe of it is that it's the excess human population and the amount of CO2 they emit from their bodies that causes such a thing to happen, not to mention all the excess amount of machinery we have had to create to sustain such a large population on the earth. In other words, Heaps of Humans -> Heaps of Machines -> Heaps of C02. I think if we have another world war then this whole "Global Warming" business will be scrapped to the bin, and I don't know if that'll happen anytime soon.

Just my two cents.

Level 1

What I personally believe of it is that it's the excess human population and the amount of CO2 they emit from their bodies that causes such a thing to happen, not to mention all the excess amount of machinery we have had to create to sustain such a large population on the earth. In other words, Heaps of Humans -> Heaps of Machines -> Heaps of C02. I think if we have another world war then this whole "Global Warming" business will be scrapped to the bin, and I don't know if that'll happen anytime soon.

Just my two cents.

Off-Topic - Well, what you're talking about is actually global warming, so aren't you kind of like saying "I dont think Global Warming exists, beside that i think it does"? Just pointing it out, as i got confused :)

But now srs bsnss, I can personally think of one optimistic thing about this, being that Denmark gets hotter, this summer's been shit, to be all honest. D:<

But else, all of the flooding caused by the melting WILL (probably) create chaos, in form of devastating the economies, as Enjoy pointed out before me.

A scenario that also might develop, is probably a "War for materials", if you people can follow my thoughts here. But no one knows, and time will tell when we're at that point.

Specific years instances of weather patterns have absolutely nothing to do with Global Warming, I think that's one of the main problems that people have with comprehending it - it's not something they can feel themselves, and smart@$$ fox news reporters can scoff off the possibility every winter when it gets cold (as it should).

Global Warming, at least in an observable way over the next decade or so, is actually a degree or so rise in global averages - while that doesn't seem all that dangerous, it can (as in has the possibility to, there are so many factors effecting these things it's hard to pinpoint any one cause specifically) lead to other things like the increasing frequency of weather related disasters or the acceleration of the ice caps melting.

It's cold where you're at because the weather patterns in the area are leaving you with an abnormally cold winter season, you can't blame that on Global Warming.

Level 7

Forgive me for my lack of discretion, but, if I may point out, what you're doing is just describing a major aspect of global warming. Contemplate the exponential annual increase in human population (such a figure would have to be plotted along a logarithmic scale - it certainly isn't linear addition). Even though mankind is making incredible technological advances that have the potential to greatly reduce carbon emissions, and, in turn, decrease the rate of global warming, I doubt that it will compensate for the growing population. For example, it's been estimated that 133 million babies were born worldwide in 2010, and this figure is increasing each year. The majority of these are in developing countries. Technology aimed at reducing global warming, while also being "birthed" rapidly, if I may put it that way, simply cannot compensate. Even though technological sophistication and invention takes place on a daily basis, the need for it eventually overlaps its rate of development.

In other words, we're inventing a great deal of useful, innovative, environmentally safe technology, but the rate at which we are doing so cannot compensate for the rate at which we need it, and a rapid change from, say, using fossil fuels, to using electric cars would be too quick and great a change for thousands of corporations. Mankind is backing himself into a corner.

Last edited:
Elite said:
a rapid change from, say, using fossil fuels, to using electric cars would be too quick and great a change for thousands of corporations.

Sink or swim I'd say, so long as we can compensate for the downput of these corporations going down with some sort of economic safeguard they deserve to fall for stalling progress in the interest of their own profit for so long.

Level 11
not only does global warming melt the ice cap of the world. but once the ozone layer creates a bigger hole. the UV Rays of the sun can already infect our skin with sunburn and causing to skin cancers and such.

Level 1
That's why we have sunscreen, silly!

roflmao

not only does global warming melt the ice cap of the world. but once the ozone layer creates a bigger hole. the UV Rays of the sun can already infect our skin with sunburn and causing to skin cancers and such.

Well, i'd say that it's humanity that creates a bigger hole in the Ozone Layer, not itself, that's like cutting emo's :p But what you're describing is basically a world-wide Australia (Im saying that because skin cancer is a relatively big problem there, atleast that's what i've heard), and that would indeed be really bad.

Level 7
That's why we have sunscreen, silly!

The highest SPF (sun protection factor) you'll be able to purchase in most stores is 80 at maximum. Whilst this is a failsafe level of ultraviolet protection in most cases, the gradual desolation of the ozone layer, due to ODS (ozone-depleting substances), among which are carbon emissions, could render this maximum SPF level inefficient in time.
Hypothetically, let's assume we were living in the days where the ozone layer was depleted. Leaving the environment out of the equation, the rate of skin cancer, leukemia, eczema and many other ailments would do far more than just quadruple - even if the environment were to remain the same (which it would most definitely not), the human population would suffer tremendous losses, even if we all sported slick layers of SPF-80 sunscreen on our bodies.

Honestly I normally see Global warming as a distractor from more realistic problems, like acid rain and air pollution, that come carbon exhaust. It's so easy to dismiss as scientists in your capitalism dangerin' up your future that it distracts people from other, visible impacts, I mean seriously - athletes at the Olympics wore gas masks in China just because the air quality was so bad, that should tell you there's a problem...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
back to the topic, I am currently in a place where it is cold,due to global warming (I Think), The climate change has been going on much lately this year. Causing everyone in this place to have colds, coughs and fevers. Please throw your trash properly and dont burn garbage. Thanks xD
Climate change has nothing to do with that... Weather is totally unrelated to microbes. Whether you live in a place with a temperature of +30C or -30C, you get exposed to simlar levels of microbes. If anything, warmer climets you get exposed to more and worse ones (like Malaria) due to other infection vectors.

Yes if you get cold, your immune system slows increasing the risk of a sickness starting, but it really is your fault if you let yourself get that cold (put on more clothing...).

The problem in China is a lack of polution regulation. The Carbon emmisions are not the cause of the low air quality. Carbon dioxide is a harmless gas produced by all living organisims or when carbon containing material is burned. The problem is that most fuels (like coal) are not pure carbon so you actually get contaminents burning like sulphur to release very nasty molecules. Additionally, incomplete combustion might cause particles to be released into the atmosphere (soot). Both of these are breathing hazzards in large quantities and will cause health problems with enough exposure. However China has recognized the problem with air pollution and so more strick regulations are being brought into place to manage the quality of emmisions.

The main cause of global warming is animals and fossil fuels. Carbon dioxide is a green house gas but a very usless one. Methane (what all animals like you produce) on the other hand is many hundred times better than carbon dioxide as a green house gas. Additionally methane degrades very slowly in the atmosphere (unlike carbon dioxide which can be recycled into plants). Live stock produce a lot of this gas, and infact contribute more to global warming than ALL carbon emmisions. That is nothing compared to the vast amount of methan trapped in ice in the water, which will melt due to warming and thus speed up the warming process.

Thuse there are only 2 real ways of attack.
1. Enginere gut bacteria to produce less if not no methan.
2. Devise a method to remove methan from the atmosphere.

Level 5
The highest SPF (sun protection factor) you'll be able to purchase in most stores is 80 at maximum. Whilst this is a failsafe level of ultraviolet protection in most cases, the gradual desolation of the ozone layer, due to ODS (ozone-depleting substances), among which are carbon emissions, could render this maximum SPF level inefficient in time.
Hypothetically, let's assume we were living in the days where the ozone layer was depleted. Leaving the environment out of the equation, the rate of skin cancer, leukemia, eczema and many other ailments would do far more than just quadruple - even if the environment were to remain the same (which it would most definitely not), the human population would suffer tremendous losses, even if we all sported slick layers of SPF-80 sunscreen on our bodies.

I believe the highest SPF is 110.
And you know I was just joking right? Lol

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ultraviolet radiation is and never will be a major problem on earth. Substances like glass, which we clad our buildings with, allow visible light through with minimal diffraction while also absorbing most ultra violet. In areas with high UV exposure, the solution is to simple go out for less (you could still tollerate it for a couple of minutes) and wear morth clothing (UV does not travel through clothing well).

I'd just like to say, the Earth goes through cycles. It's gets hotter every few thousand years, then gets colder, then hot again.
global_temp2.jpg

As you can see, we're in the middle of a warm period. The temperature will vary in the coming decades, but as a whole it will remain warmer. A few thousand years from now, the Earth will experience another cold age. That's how it works. SO, even if we do manage to reverse the damage we might be doing with pollution and what not, we will not be able to do anything about the temperature changes that the Earth goes through naturally. So even if we completely move to renewable energy sources and fix the ozone layer and all that fairy tale stuff, we may still see dramatically increased temperatures over the next few hundred or thousand years. The liberal media is so quick to point the finger at pollution, they fail to mention how much of this situation is unpreventable.

PS- The only ice that can affect the sea level is ice that is on land. Ice that is underground will stay underground after it melts, and ice that is in the ocean is already displacing the sea level (Put some ice cubes in a glass of water. When they melt, the water level will stay the same).

Global warming is a way that the government is gonna make money through making a carbon tax. Some of this money will go to the scientists who made the reports and the rest will go to getting shiny shoes for politicans.

You see this is exactly what I was talking about earlier:
-Uses Global Warming as a means to dismiss any political action to cut down on the exhaust output
-Completely ignores all other negative effects of air pollution
-Fear mongering via money

Thank you for being an example!

This is why I find arguing about Global Warming counterproductive, it's because people can make statements like this that no political action is taken.

Level 6
I'd just like to say, the Earth goes through cycles. It's gets hotter every few thousand years, then gets colder, then hot again.
global_temp2.jpg

As you can see, we're in the middle of a warm period. The temperature will vary in the coming decades, but as a whole it will remain warmer. A few thousand years from now, the Earth will experience another cold age. That's how it works. SO, even if we do manage to reverse the damage we might be doing with pollution and what not, we will not be able to do anything about the temperature changes that the Earth goes through naturally. So even if we completely move to renewable energy sources and fix the ozone layer and all that fairy tale stuff, we may still see dramatically increased temperatures over the next few hundred or thousand years. The liberal media is so quick to point the finger at pollution, they fail to mention how much of this situation is unpreventable.

PS- The only ice that can affect the sea level is ice that is on land. Ice that is underground will stay underground after it melts, and ice that is in the ocean is already displacing the sea level (Put some ice cubes in a glass of water. When they melt, the water level will stay the same).

That chart shows a change of about 10 degrees Celsius over 50,000 years aka .0002 degrees change per year. What we are currently observing is a change of about 1.5 degrees over the course of 50 years (using a low estimate) or .03 degrees per year which is much too fast to be natural.

Also CO2 causes ocean acidification and other negative effects so global warming is bad for all countries even cold ones.

Level 11
Arcmage is right.

And also, if you look at the extreme cold conditions, the worst resulted in a change of 10 degrees. For the hot, the change reached an extreme of 2 degrees. A change of 1 or 2 degrees on the global scale can have devastating effects upon a global ecosystem

Level 22
I also dont believe global warming much. There may be emissions and really causing holes in the ozone but hardly the reason for global warming. Global warming due to CO2 emissions from cars? Look at th sun, it is sending solar storms to Earth, that is disturbing Earth's magnetosphere. There is a lot more factors coming from space or within our active Earth than 'global warming'.

There is warming up, it's no doubt but hardly caused by the too many emissions from cars or factories. Still one should not deny that it is better using bio fuels it is still more healthy and better.

Level 9
Global warming does NOT count as world news because:

A-it is not news.

B-it is nothing worth mentioning, a natural even people panic about for nothing.

Level 22
You can make any graph of two sets of data seem correlated.

No you can't.

Also, we know the increase in temperature isn't caused entirely by the sun's 100,000 year cycles nor it's 11 year cycles. Sure, the sun does a small bit, but the rest is caused by CO2 and Methane and other gases. You cannot deny the empirical data that backs this up.

Level 22
Yes, yes you can.

pirates_and_ghg.gif

The graph is misleading but it gets the point across.
I don't see a second graph that makes it obvious that it has an effect on the other graph. Just giving the x-axis a different name isn't proving anything. Following your logic I could say that global warming is caused by an increase in cleaner water. It just doesn't work.

You need one graph displaying one thing (for example CO2 in the atmosphere) and then another one displaying another thing (like the global temperature) and then make it clear that the two graphs correlate.

Edit: Btw, your image is very flawed as well. On the x-axis you can see the number of pirates increase (and the global temperature increases as well) first when moving towards the left and then it decreases. Your graph is contradicting yourself, thus you actually failed to prove that "You can" even with 1 graph.

Level 9
The thing with global warming is not if its happening, its how much humans are contributing. Yes, the temperatures are on a rise, and yes, this does occur naturally. However, we have evidence of the temperatures rising too quickly, where it does not seem natural. This leads us to think that we're contributing.

However, as stated before, it is likely that governments are pushing this topic a little too much, exaggerating it to an extent, so they may have a tax. Even if they're exaggerating the temperatures or the effects, the average temperatures have increased slightly.

Human contribution is probably miniature in scale compared to the natural causes, add planetary changes from the suns (our's and others) moving around, the sun's nature to increase in size and warmth in the stage of "life" it's currently in and other such factors, its surprisingly convenient how much it did NOT change over the years, we could have expected worse just from random occurrences we might not even be aware of their existence of significance...

That being said, all that stuff about "poisoning the environment", hell with it. its only "main steam" these days because people with political and media power have interests in it being so, if you look at all your great "green prophets" (Al Gor I'm looking at you!) you will be amazed how much money they made from their "righteous crusades" and how little of it actually went to serve "greater good of the planet" as they claim.

Face it, we are meaningless in this scale. and even if we were not it's not a big deal, we are the alpha predator, the rest of the world should evolve to survive US, not should we devolve to fit their needs. besides, many species of plants and animals are doing WAY better with us they without us, it's just that they are not generally loved-because they are not "cute" and "beautiful" in our eyes, but pests and such as they live off us. (rats, most insects, seagulls, and many more...and that even if your don't count domestic animals and plants, who can very well be said to have "evolved" to influence our emotions so we should help them survive, and every self-respecting scientist without any economical agenda will agree...)

Imtor-disagreement is NOT a valid reason to attempt at insulting others. (especially if you agree on human influence being minor, you got me confused there on what opinion you take anyway, insulting me for taking the same stance as you do...)

Status
Not open for further replies.