1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

There are rules, you know?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jaret, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    OK... Listen up guys.

1. Why are there existing rules on The hive?
    - Because we don't want to have a mess of a site, and we want to stay fair and square all the time.

2. Why are there existing rules anyway?
    - Because without them, the economy/other political and serious stuff would break down without them. There wouldn't exist illegal and legal. Simple as that.

3. Then Why don't we obey them?

This is the problem. I don't want to name some users, but they keep making threads about random crap all the time. Please could you at least try to make it look a little serious? Not some unrelated shit to the thread itself written in the title? And I don't "Feed the Trolls", I just want them to finally get to their senses and stop posting stupid titles, and stupid Thread material in the first place.

1. Why do Titles exist in forums/any other sites/real world?
    - Because:
    1 - For example, if you need help in something, and it's related to modeling, texturing etc., the "advanced" user can see where you need help by just reading the title.
    2 - For example, if you made a thread about global warming, and you want to know what other people think about it, you won't get people interested in global warming if you write something like "Thrall spam spam Jaina emo whaa?". You'll get some retarded trollers and Flamers, or you'll get serious people that'll suggest to the moderators to close down your thread. You get negative rep, but still continue spamming with stupid titles.

PLEASE STOP! WE KNOW YOU'RE INTELLIGENT, GREAT and AWESOME.

This thread is supposed to be serious. Please don't spam it with stupid stuff like mentioned before (Trolling, Flaming, etc.). Tell me what do you guys think of this. Please don't argue, just tell your opinions.

For anyone who doesn't know where the rules are, here's a link to them. And you can find them in the upper-left corner, Right to the Tutorials, left to the Forums.

There it says.

~Jaret

Oh, and I forgot to say, I've posted this in Off-topic because it's kind of ontopic, but since these kinds of things occur mostly here, I've posted it here.

2. P4C-M4N

P4C-M4N

Resources:
    Resources:
    This should be sticky, Jaret you are right here. There are lots of uselles threads and posts i know one user but i don't want to mention the name (username) if you want something that is not big thing you can ask a moderator or a user. I have searched yesterday some old threads and i was surprised what they were writting that time. :/

3. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    respect... but lol could u try and mention some of the stupid threads u seen? :p im curious

4. Icedrake

Icedrake

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree. You deserve some rep for taking the time to write this whole thing.

5. P4C-M4N

P4C-M4N

Resources:
    Resources:
  6. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Well, for the Hive I'd do anything, no need to give rep, honestly.

7. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol ok, made me laugh a lil :p, but the title really did have nothing to do with his mapping problems :D hehe

8. P4C-M4N

P4C-M4N

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not the mapping he could ask somebody about that question. If i start to searched for "noobish" threads it will going to need me lots of time. ^^'

9. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's good and all, but threads like these never work. The people you're referring to probably won't even read your post, and the few who do will not stop disobeying the rules. :p

10. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    oh, and I forgot to add something:
    -DO not even think about writing down jokes that are "Funny". To some it's not funny. It might be good in real life to get friends by telling jokes, but on forums, that is considered an act of spamming off-topic stuff into the thread.

Unfortunately, you're right... But we should keep telling 'em to finally stop it.

Oh, and about spamming, Trolling and Flaming, check this Link (Thanks to Takakenji for sharing it with us)

11. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If someone needs this sort of thread, it's obvious they won't listen to it regardless

If anything, the rules should be self-explanatory, in most cases when someone breaks them in a case that's not like resource rules it's not due to ignorance.

12. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    The problem's that almost no one's reading them. If everyone read them and understood them, then there would be at least 50% less flaming and trolling on the site.

13. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    People don't flame/troll because they don't know it's against the rules, they do it to be a douche

14. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Well, then, I officially admit:

Humans are really stupid. I mean really stupid.

You've got a point there. It's the same with real life... A murderer murders other people, he couldn't possibly say to the police that he didn't know it wasn't "allowed"... But some things around the forums could be, indeed, cleaned up by just reading and obeying the rules. Example, making threads about random things like "motivational posters" (This happened a while ago) is illegal, and anyone who posted got a negrep because he posted. Well, "motivational posters" are looked at as "Spamming", so...

Oh, and I withdraw my bet :)

15. P4C-M4N

P4C-M4N

Resources:
    Resources:
    True true

16. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @P4C-M4N: You know, I could just rep you now and remove that neg-rep...but I won't(not because you are banned). Really, you were trying to tick that guy off, and now you're making a big deal in another's forum about how you got neg-repped.

@Jaret: I dunno why you made this thread. I think that rule-breakers actually have a better chance of seeing the real rules page, instead of finding this thread and then finding the link to the real rules page. It would be more useful if you just linked the rules in your sig and posted everywhere... I dunno what to say either, my opinion is that I agree that people should follow the rules, but this thread and I are just stating the obvious.

17. Lich Prince

Lich Prince

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very true. Jaret, if you think this thread is actually going to make a difference, you are sorely mistaken.

18. raaawrr

raaawrr

Resources:
    Resources:
    As a matter of fact its these non serious threads that blow some life into forums, saying that creating random topics shouldnt be allowed is the same as prohibiting people from making random comments after they've drunk a few beers :/
    Better yet ive made a few non serious threads in the past and got banned for them, now I only stick to posting comments in existent threads with the same sort of style and I get repped for almost every post I make.

So not knowingly people do appreciate such posts after all.

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Offtopic used to actually be semi serious at one time. Now its full of people posting crap and stupid images.

20. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It can't be worse then something else