• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Cold Planet with Life on It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I had this in my dream: a planet, similar to Earth, that rotates around the Sun, doesn't rotate around itself, its own axis. At different time of the year, the planet exists as two different halves: the first half is inhabited by people and is being warmed by the Sun, while the other half is faced away from the Sun and it remains cold and vile monsters live there, and there are abandoned settlements.

People of the planet always travel to West so as not to suddenly get trapped in the cold half and die of cold. People abandon their settlements from time to time to move to that place of the planet which is warmed by Sun.

What I mean is explained by the picture that I attached to my post.

What can this planet be of use for you? Well, something interesting may be going on there. For example, a brave hero decided to retrieve an artefact from the cold half, and he's fighting monsters.
Or the population of the planet is technologically advanced, and they decide to create a gigantic motor that would force their planet to move around its axis, but it's so big that some people are against that idea, and a war begins between them.
Or monsters decided to take over the warm half, but they're afraid of sun, so they advance and create sunglasses :cool:.
Or the story may go about a group of scientists/mages who decide to go to the cold half, catch monsters and study their bodies, but something happens, they unleash some big monsters from a cave, and that monster goes for killing all the people, and mages must stop him.
Or some people were going to the West too slow, and the cold side caught up with them, so those people must survive the attacks of monsters and hurry to the warm side.
Or the planet some why stopped, so people no longer have to move. Then they start thinking of taking over the cold half to inhabit it. So they send expeditions... but monsters don't just stand around either.

EDIT: oh I made a mistake on the picture, for people that live there the Sun rises from West and goes for whole year to East, but it is all messed up: Sun rises at East and goes to West, so there's a mistake on the picture, sorry.

Attachments

• Trigger5.jpg
    Trigger5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Level 17
If it rotates around the sun, but not around itself, it won't have two halfs.
If it rotates around the sun, but slightly around itself, so that one side keeps facing the sun, it will.

Whoa, long time no see. Seems you've been a rep hunter huh?

Anyway, if you read better you would have read that the humans are like nomads, always staying on the sunny side which slowly changes.

And it would make for a nice RPG btw.

Level 18
Maybe you should add a system which decreases unit's stats during the night (it can represents their fear).

You gave several ideas, why dont use them to make a multi-mode game ? :)

Level 17
To my knowledge, if this was a planet like earth but without the rotation the cycle of going from cold to warm would take somewhat half a year and you would only have one day during the entire year.
The night part is the cold part and the day part is the warm part.

Taking this in consideration you could make an RPG without needing to change the environment.
I suggest a portal system so you don't have to worry about the transfer between warm and cold (which needs to be at least 100km in size).

Story:

Chapter I
The hero needs to fix a teleporter (so that they can use it for teleportation as an easier way fo getting around being a nomad). on the warm side in a nomad encampment in the ruins of a roman like city. He needs to go deep into the dungeon and activate the portal by fining the three energy stones that power the portal.
The last stone and the tablets where the stones are placed is guarded by a boss, you need to kill it.

Chapter II
After all that he discovers a old book, he brings it to some smart guy (an elder) and he can read it. It seems the planet was once rotating. The elder things some dark magic has prevented the planet from rotating so he sends you out to an quest.
You go into the teleporter and it sends you to a place that is getting day, so it;s a half ice environment that is melting.
Here you find more clues and you find three temples, you decide to enter them.
Each contains a mini-boss that has a part of a tablet. Once you kill all three the tablet is restored and opens a pathway to an underground city.

It has some inhabitants that help you on your quest (a small part of the city), but they need your help fending off attacks from the creatures that inhabit the other part of the city. So you help them yadda yadda.

In the end you fix teleporters and destroy evil to find out there is some dark magician that is blocking the rotation and you need to beat him.

*Brain juice runs out." That's a general idea I have for you. I just made it up, perhaps you have some use for it.

Level 11
Of course, the story is excellent. What about continuing it?

Chapter III
To beat some dark magician an elder must first find out more about who it is. He recommends asking people around. While he asks people around, they call him for help to check out some old temple where everyone who enters it doesn't come back. In the old temple he finds dark magician with some big orb. Dark magician says something bad, ruins the exit behind him and disappears with that thing. While searching for exit he (main hero) destroys rocks, discovers buttons that raise bridges, and he rescues all missing people who help him find the exit and they ask to find their missing items. Using a teleport he goes back to an elder.

Chapter IV
The elder gains enough information to recognize the dark magician. Elder tells him to take the orb and apply a spell on it. That will actually make magician vulnerable and he won't be able to disappear whenever he wants. Elder gives him companions that should cast the spell, and sends him to the night side. There's ice everywhere. Dark magician meets them and starts trying to do something, but he fails, gets weakened, unable to disappear and flees into some cave. Main Hero needs to kill a mini-boss before he can enter that cave. At least one companion has to survive to cast the spell. In the cave he discovers a large gate, which is being hit from the other side - but it won't break. To open the gate he has to find a key. When he could almost grab the key (after he found it), some monster swallows it and goes into some tunnel with traps. He has to avoid traps in the tunnel, and in the end he has to slay that monster and take the key. When he opens the gate, hordes of mutants charge from the other side, but if you kill their main monster/chief, then all other monsters will run away in terror. In the end of the cave he finds dark magician, but he scattered the big orb into pieces, so you have to collect all of them and use companion to cast the spell on it, then the planet starts rotating and he has to kill the mage.

But if the planet starts rotating, then monsters will merge with population, though, the ices will take some time to melt.

Maybe someone could make use of that.

Level 17
Whoever makes the map should fully flesh out the story, I simply gave an example of what could take place. :p

It's kind of a genetic story though, evil does something evil, somebody good fends of evil.. xD
If it were me the elder that helps you during your quest is actually the evil guy. And he tells you to activate the portals so he can enter an ancient tomb with an unique power.
When you found that artifact he shows up and picks up the artifact, and with it he empowers his minions to make a boss battle. :p

When you beat the boss you go outside and find out the entire planet is shrouded into black clouds, his goal was to make every part of the planet dark and cold.
You go back to the encampment and tell everybody to take the portal to the ancient underground city for shelter.

After that you proceed to the hearth of that ancient city (which you could not travel to before due to the strong monsters) and find a tomb of an ancient mage. You enter it and defeat the guardians (undead) and pick up an artifact used by the ancient mages to dispel magic.
You go back to where you fought the boss of the elder and dispel the barrier to go after him.

Lol, to much story telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.