• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gintara - A Pirate's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
wow nice game:thumbs_up: ... i played it and it was fantastic but i have foudn 2 glitches or watcherver you call that well.. after you are free from prison there is a door and an elite guard in it behind him there are 2 treasures... well with the abillity dragon claw or somethign forgot the name (immolation icon) you can target him and then you get into the door you blink in the door then you can´t exit anymore... and the end boss was a bit too easy i think i got him down only by going to him and attack him all the time then he died had 75% hp left...

Level 4
one more thing is, why those equipment that drops from enemies are same, like example: i already got the ring and i equip it, then again another enemy drop the same ring again.

Level 16
one more thing is, why those equipment that drops from enemies are same, like example: i already got the ring and i equip it, then again another enemy drop the same ring again.
It's because of the loot's grade. The game will contain items like in any other RPG.

Normal Items - Drops randomly, no limit of each type.
Greater Items - Also drops randomly but with less chance on normal enemies and higher chance on bosses, no limit of each type.
Crafted Items - Crafted using the resources you gain combined with a recipe and other misc items, can only craft 1 of each type.
Unique Items - Aquired through questchains or bosses, Limit of 1 type.

Last edited:
Level 16
Hello people, i need some opinions. If you've tested the map (If you haven't, DO SO!) you know that things take place in a dungeon. The thing is, the dungeon was just a test scenario for the map to check out various systems that would be used. But now that most systems are about done, i'm going to put alot more into storyline.

So to keep it short:
Do you like the current introduction or do you think the intro could be better if i made it to something other than in a dungeon?

Level 16
Cheers for the comment CW.

Minor update, skin for a new character:
Kan'Sung.jpg

Level 2
Keep up the goodwork, played the alpha back when it was released and was really impresed. It's truly unique...

Level 16
so when do you think the chapter will be released can you give us an update :D
I can't even guess when this will be finished. (Not even the demo). I won't be releasing a public beta this time, it will be tested in a closed group and then the final demo will be released.

As for the update, i'm reworking and test and reworking and testing over and over for all the systems to work, after my base is set, it'll pick up speed.

Control Switch
EDIT: I could give you a little info about the "Control-Switching" system that i've implented. It was earlier mentioned but just briefly.
It works as a party system that you would encounter in a classic RPG game, though in this case you can only control one character at a time. You will need to access a "Save Point" to be able to switch between characters. They all have separate equipment (can't believe i managed to trigger that). They also have unique abilities that you sometimes need to progress in some areas.
Gaining experience with each character won't be necessary. I've decided to balance each character's level depending on which has the highest.
Ex:
Gintara - Lvl 8
Secret - Lvl 3
Secret#2 - Lvl 4

If there is more than a 2 level distance, their level will increase to a more balanced level. So that you aren't forced to level/grind exp for each character.

Level 8
That's a good idea about the balance.
Anyway can we get some new teaser screenshots of the terrain soon ?

Level 9
Personally this is my favorite RPG I've ever played. The reason being is because most good RPG are complicated towards the start and take awhile to learn, and i don't like that. But in your RPG first time you try anything it tells you what it does and how to do it. And i really like the way of the combat system, And the bag system is very cool. You should upload some of those systems to the hive =D

P.S all those grapics for the UI and everything are really nice. +REP

{EDIT}
You should make the multiboard more colorful instead of just white. Looks pretty plain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
I'm not necromancer to revive this thread, because really wanted to play this map out, but if this project is no longer in work, please lock this up. thanks =)

Level 14
Cool map, I enjoyed it but I died when I defeated the boss and it was a cinematic :/. I hope that the story will be better in the future tho.

Level 38
Sounds pretty cool - If your looking for new ideas for terrain/dungeons you might want to check this campaign out - chapters 5 and 6 deal w/ pirates and the cliffs are re-skinned to make a pretty convincing harbor/pirate ship environment :)

Edit - OK, tested it out. That was pretty sweet, well done so far. Game-play was very nice, though as many people said first aid was overpowered. Diablo movement system in that would kick so much ass :D
You should use the portrait file for your hero though, seemed like your model edits also used a portrait animation to the model. Watcher model is nice, but the face gets these awful shading lines around it in the full-scale model, while they are nonexistent in the portrait file. For the hero you should defiantly have a portrait model to go with it, at least if you don't plan on re-working the face. Anything else it doesn't matter.

As for the terrain it could use a little more love, one thing I found out looked pretty cool for terrain that has no mid-level use is to skin the cliffs like this - WC3ScrnShot_060509_153946_21 copy.jpg
change the top to solid black an have the tileset it connects to to have a black tile as well, making the areas you cannot reach an empty void rather than a fogged-out roof :D. Works for me anyways, I think it gives a nicer look to dungeons, and their is no question that you cannot go in the empty space (not that their really was for yours).
Unfortunately the dungeon tile connecting to the man-made cliffs only has two variations :( - but if you import custom cliff skins you can use any tileset you want :D

Hotkeys were not to hard to get used to, though a W A S D system would probably be a little friendlier, though I have seen some systems that use
Q W E R
A S D F
Z X C V
for abilities in WC3 based on their location in the unit interface.

Creeps could probably stand to hit a little harder, though it seemed kind of like rampaging through the Blood Moor - which isn't a bad thing if it's the first level/intro. The camera system and switch between different areas was very nice and well done.

Cool map/campaign so far, can't wait until you complete this :D

Last edited:
Level 16
I saw "Last edited by SkriK; 07-26-2009 at 05:41 PM." on the first post!
I'm still alive. And so is the project. But things are going slow (i'm blaming inspiration).

As it says in the first post: "Plot - Coming soon."
All i can say i'm having trouble coming up with a main story, though i have thousands of chapter scenarios in mind.

There's one feature i've added though.
Targeting
As of version 0.1a, it could be a pain in the ass to get the hero to face the right angle when you attacked.
With a new targeting system, i've made so that you can choose one unit as a focused target and with that the hero will face that target's position when attacking resulting in easier hits.
This feature is completely optional, you activate it by pressing ESC any time when combat is possible.
EDIT: Which also leads me to this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ace-angle-point-instantly-138258/#post1243890

Level 4
How about a fight for freedom sort of thing? Think PotC 3, with the East Indies Corp. being the baddies, and Jack, Elizabeth, and the pretty boy fighting against them.

Level 30
How about a fight for freedom sort of thing? Think PotC 3, with the East Indies Corp. being the baddies, and Jack, Elizabeth, and the pretty boy fighting against them.

Definately an ideal theme :) With some sort of main bad-guy corporation?

Maybe they're en-slaving your pirate brethren / innocent people, or perhaps they're developing some sort of weapon that could destroy the world? Something pirate-lore-ish, like Davi-Jones or Calypso, but not something thats featured in PotC ;)

Then, to make things more interesting, there could be some extra side-adventures along the way, such as treasure hunting or meeting new characters :)

Just an idea though :p

Level 6
I saw some annoying capital letters, like "Which (S)lot?" and "Left-(C)lick to (U)se"
in my opinion it would look better to have them lowercase

Level 3
I'm downloading the test at this moment.

Maybe you already put it into your map but:

How about some pirate time on a city tavern? gambling, rum, music, fights and then escape from the autorities.

Or some "circus-like" places, it throwing knifes challenges, obstacle courses and so on.

In some points the player can "tell a history" where you plays with the character in the history that he is telling. (Like Prince of Persia Sands of Time games, where you play as the history should happen).

Level 3
Man i had played the map.

GREAT ONE.
there's a long time i don't see such good work.

i have to say, i will keep a 1.23 patch around, if i need to downgrade, just to play this campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.