• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gintara - A Pirate's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
attachment.php

Gintara - A Pirate's Tale - Info
Author: SkriK
Map Type: Singleplayer Campaign

Plot
Coming soon.
Gameplay
I wanted to bring a little bit of action into my map so i made a system for it.
You will be playing using your keyboard. You attack by pressing the "A" hotkey and there is no auto-attack. The damage is based on the hero's level, basedamage and strength.
By using this kind of system you will be able to dodge(ranged), attack and block.

All ability-hotkeys will be mapped closely around the "A" key so that removing your hand from it's position isn't necessary.
There won't be an arrow movement system, the mouse will be used.

One of the bigger features in my maps are gonna be the bossfights. Since the map isn't based on the usual "auto-attacks+spells" fighting, you will be able to (or even have to) defeat bosses in various other ways.

Life and mana restoration will be aquired through orbs that monsters drop; to spare inventory.

Features
The cinematics are skipable, so that if you die and encounter the same cinematic, you can skip it. To prevent accidental skips during the cinematics, they are now timed.

As stated above in the gamplay, i find the combat system a good feature for the campaign.
Included in the combat system is something called "Attack Points (AP)". You gain AP by attacking enemies and then later on used for skills instead of mana. Mana will also be used for other things.

I've also made a equipment system for the map which allows you to equip/unequip gear by klicking on the item.

A pirate-themed UI.​

Screenshots
WC3ScrnShot_081808_141856_01.gif WC3ScrnShot_081808_142147_02.gif WC3ScrnShot_081808_142218_03.gif WC3ScrnShot_081808_142316_04.gif WC3ScrnShot_081808_142443_05.gif
Scrn1.gif Scrn2.gif Scrn3.gif Scrn4.gif Scrn5.gif Loadingscreen.gif
Grondal.jpg Tavras.gif

Storyline
Gintara Wern was born into the life of a pirate, aboard the ship Solemnity lead by it's Captain Geran Wern, her father. Her mother, Merinda Wern, was said to have died when giving birth to Gintara, but in reality she was a pleasure-girl on the island of Bendorum.

At a very young age, Gintara found interest in swords and guns, which pleased her father a great deal. But to prevent her from getting hurt by a real one, he made her a wooden sword and a gun the couldn't fit bullets but only gunpowder. That way she could happily run around shooting and swinging with no harm.
The captain's right hand, Commander Philip Rane, was like an uncle to Gintara. He told her everything about swords and guns; the harm they cause, the protection they give and what fun it is to shoot pellets at rum bottles.
When she turned 13 he gave her a new handmade sword made in Oak for her birthday. He then took her as his apprentice to teach her how to wield a sword and fire a gun. But she didn't get her own gun just yet.

Months went by, she didn't fight nor raid, only trained at their hideout.

At 16 years of age, Gintara got to wield a real sword and gun. She had then become really good at range and close combat.
She had learned so fast in the three years Philip had taken her under his wing, that it seemed from time to time as if they fought on par.
During a spar at the pirate's hideout, the other pirates were placing bets on who'd win. Her father would always bet on her even though the chances of winning was next to nothing. The other pirates were cheering and drinking as they always do, but this fight was not like the others. Philip had promised her her own REAL gun and dagger if she were to defeat him.

-More To Come-

Credits
MORE TO COME
-- Skins --
Gintara's Skin: 67chrome

-- Models --
Relisting

-- Music --
Nobou Uematsu​

Under Construction
- Work on the introduction.
Planned
- Opening/Prologue Cinematic
~ SkriK​
Version 0.1a Released for testing!
Version 0.1b (Not yet released)
  • Added a much nicer looking effect to GabbleBot's invulnerable shield.
  • Chests are now opened by being Right-clicked.
  • Removed First Aid cause of being unnecessary.
  • Reduced amount of chests.
  • Equippable weapons added.
  • Concept of healing and mana restoration has been changed.
  • Made a new skin for Malfor.
  • Changed the environmental lightning.
  • Buffed up the middle-boss fight.
  • Skin for Hick 'n' Hack.
  • Backpack system added.
  • Made so that you don't have to carry the keys with you.
  • Added one optional quest.
  • Bugfixed a glitch that sometimes made the attacks not hit while facing around 0 or 360 degrees.
  • ???
  • Skin for Elliade
  • Control-Switching system

Version 0.1a
  • Testing phase.

Attachments

• Gintara 0.1a(Protected).rar
    10.8 MB · Views: 975
  • Title.jpg
    Title.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,123
Last edited:
Level 8
=]
Sounds really interesting so far, Its good your trying a Rpg, as most people have been quite recently,
But, Yours sounds promising, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it as you continue working on it, and keep on working on it!
If you really need a tester, theres plenty of us here, Just give us a PM, heck, I'll test if you want.
But anyways, keep working on it and work hard, Impress us!
-Calvin

Level 24
My first impression was just... awsome. Then when more closely reading your writings, watching your screenshots etc. I must say that I am extremely impressed, I myself have had in my mind to do a pirate-themed map or campaign, though due to my extreme lack of dedication of terraining, it has never been more than an idéa in my head. (Like my 100 other idéas but, but ...) I am just afraid it can get a little bit boring to have to use the A key to attack all the time, but I don't think it will be a problem, in most games there isn't an auto attack, or atleast not any 3rd person game I have ever seen. As last words, looks great, really looking forward to playing it, thanks for doing such an awsome campaign.

Level 16
I am just afraid it can get a little bit boring to have to use the A key to attack all the time, but I don't think it will be a problem
I don't think it will be boring. Concidering all the other controls/actions you use together with the A key, it kinda turns into a passive reflex.

Thanks for your comments, highly appriciated. ^^

EDIT: Added a Continue/Quit action when you die. (Will turn it into "Save & Quit" later on.)
EDIT2: Added a bonus in damage after doing 3 continuous attacks.

Last edited:
Level 17
Will try it when I come home from the vacation, I'm flying to Turkey this friday, will be back in one week. I hope you've got the storyline done by then!

Level 24
Alright, for quite some time I have with great anxiousness awaited this release, and tonight it was released! I was very glad when I started the map, and it was good, really really good, Just a few things you probably already know but in case you don't... Well here goes:
  • I'd say it was really simple, just to use the First Aid as fast as you lost some health.
  • When you use block, you get the Hardened Skin ability but it says something like Decreases damage done to the "Mountain Giant", should be Gintara I guess.
  • Was for me a bit tricky to understand you had to attack the treasure chest to open it, took a while for me to realize.
  • The terrain was good, but there were many treasure chests and none we're openable, perhaps you should be able to open them ?
  • There we're lots too many items, I got my bag full directly of potions of different kinds, and thanks to First Aid, I never needed to use 'em either.
That's it for now, great work SkriK, keep me posted.

Level 16
Linaze said:
I'd say it was really simple, just to use the First Aid as fast as you lost some health.
I will nerf it later on.
Linaze said:
When you use block, you get the Hardened Skin ability but it says something like Decreases damage done to the "Mountain Giant", should be Gintara I guess.
Forgot to hide it.
Linaze said:
Was for me a bit tricky to understand you had to attack the treasure chest to open it, took a while for me to realize.
What was the way you first tried to use to open it? Rightclick?
Linaze said:
The terrain was good, but there were many treasure chests and none we're openable, perhaps you should be able to open them ?
All should be openable.
Linaze said:
There we're lots too many items, I got my bag full directly of potions of different kinds, and thanks to First Aid, I never needed to use 'em either.
There's a backpack function that's going to be added later on, for 6 more slots.

Thanks alot for the feedback.:xxd:

Level 13
I tried right-click, drop the item on the chest and walk around it, if perhaps a region was misplaced, and by accident clicked the <A> button and poff, it opened. Glad you agreed on the rest, keep it going.

I got every chest opened by attadcking. Worked fine for me.

Anyways for the feedback: The game was very enjoyable, only thing that bothered me was that hotkeys are kinda messed up. They should be close to each other. a +c + r is pretty hard for me atleast. And about the spells i cant really say anything about them yet, since I didnt really need them.

Ill be looking forward to play more chapters. Nice terrain, nice battle system and even bosses very pretty cool.

Level 17
Very nice!

Original and fun.

But the guards was way too easy, the last boss was pretty hard but first aid was imba so you could use it every one second. Set it to like 15 seconds and increase it to 40% healed.

Level 16
Thanks. ^^

Some things i'm working on:
  • Skin for Hick 'n' Hack
  • An ability system.
    In depth it's a system that allows you to equip, ability orbs. (Will probably call them Materia so that all knows what it is.) You will be able to have a maximum of 4 equipped at one time. Though, the ability orbs require "Slots" and your maximum slots increase throughout the game.

Ex.: You start off with 2 available slots.
    X Orb requires 1 slot and deals low damage.
    Y Orb requires 1 slot and deals low damage.
    Z Orb requires 2 slots and deals mid damage.
    So you would have to choose 2 lesser ones or 1 better.

• Some storyline and cinematics.

Level 4
Woot, just downloaded I'm like on drugs, can't wait to play it. brb. I'm editing this post when I'm finished.

Edit: Hoooooly shit, this is A W E S O M E!

It gave me the real feeling of a RPG! But the endboss seem to be rushed, he should have more hp and more triggering, cause I just gone to him and only pushed a. Easy..

Anyways, Attack system, great, but theres a hotkey problem, block is at K not C! So i never used it.. And please don't implent the arrow move system, cause it would ruin it.

If I could rate it, it would be 100/1

That tale is awesome, it's godlike compared to all other rpgs.

Level 16
Edit: Hoooooly shit, this is A W E S O M E!

It gave me the real feeling of a RPG! But the endboss seem to be rushed, he should have more hp and more triggering, cause I just gone to him and only pushed a. Easy..

If I could rate it, it would be 100/1

That tale is awesome, it's godlike compared to all other rpgs.
Yays! Glad to hear that. :D
Anyways, Attack system, great, but theres a hotkey problem, block is at K not C! So i never used it.. And please don't implent the arrow move system, cause it would ruin it.
The hotkey has to be a bug on your end, since it works with C for me and it says C in the object editor.

About the arrow move system, i don't think it'd ruin it, you could still play using mouse if you prefer, but the arrows would be available aswell.

Though what i'd really want is a diablo-like movement, where you can hold down the mouse button to keep moving, instead of spamklicking.

Level 16
NEW SCREENS!!
Thought it was about time to give a piece of the goodies. ^^
You can also view them in the first post.

Just to show how the new lighting might look.

Showing how the items will look.

When you click an equippable weapon you will choose which hand to wield it with, though it doesn't affect your damage. (yet ^^)

Those small dots/orbs you see near the character are the new health and mana concept i mentioned in the first post, you aquire them by walking on them or clicking them.

It might not show very clearly but there are Gears that shields him now.

Level 5
the story reminds be a wee bit about final fantasy V and faris might be just me but i like final fantasy V, and ur map looks and sounds good man

Level 16
First map progress: ~73%
Well, that one is mostly inaccurate, since i find new things that needs to be added all the time.
Does this mean you are only working on the first map yet? Or have you made some progress on other maps too? And how long will the maps be? The demo was kinda short but cool!
Only first map, since i can't get the campaignscreen buttons to work properly i'm focusing on adapting the first map.
Each map will differ in length depending on the story.

Level 12
Haha, I just noticed the main header picture is the same as TPB.

I was wondering why it looked so familiar. Nicely done.

Edit: How much of the map do the music files take up? Are you using any kind of sound compression, or did you skip it seeing as it's a single player map?

Last edited:
Level 16
Edit: How much of the map do the music files take up? Are you using any kind of sound compression, or did you skip it seeing as it's a single player map?
I'm skipping it for now. But if it's get too large, i'll compress it. I think only 60% of the size is music.

- Progress -
For those of you who take interest in this project, here's a little update.

The main reason for this taking so long is because i'm dedicating most work on the gameplay factor, in this case the control of your character. Which also means that the bosses are being reworked for a much more interesting interaction.

I also decided to make a "Control-Switch" system to increase the gameplay experience even more.
About "Control-Switch": Let's say that you along the way of your adventure meet different characters who'll join your party (cliché, duh) that you can later on use as your main character.

Changelog
  • Added a much nicer looking effect to GabbleBot's invulnerable shield.
  • Treasure Chests are now opened by being Right-clicked.
  • Removed First Aid cause of being unnecessary.
  • Reduced amount of chests.
  • Equippable weapons added.
  • Concept of healing and mana restoration has been changed.
  • Made a new skin for Malfor.
  • Changed the environmental lightning.
  • Buffed up the middle-boss fight.
  • Skin for Hick 'n' Hack.
  • Backpack system added.
  • Made so that you don't have to carry the keys with you.
  • Added one optional quest.
  • Bugfixed a glitch that sometimes made the attacks not hit while facing around 0 or 360 degrees.
  • ??? (It's a secret)
  • Skin for Elliade

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.