• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

General Questions

Level 48
Okay, so I wasn't sure what you meant by replacing the default Grunt model - either you want to have all of your Grunts across all WC3 maps locally replaced with the SoC Grunt, or you're trying to use the SoC Grunt as a model in your map.

If you're looking to use the model in your map, then simply import WC2Grunt.mdx, WC2Grunt_Portrait.mdx and WC2Grunt.blp, and change the path of WC2Grunt.blp to remove the "war3mapimported\" prefix, meaning the path has to be simply "WC2Grunt.blp".

If you're looking to replace the default Grunt across all games locally (only you can see this change), then it takes a little bit more effort. You'll need to create folders inside folders in your main Warcraft 3 installation folder. This can be done through the following steps:

You need to place the .MDX model in your WC3 folder, under the path:
"Units\Orc\Grunt\grunt.mdx"

The portrait, correspondingly, goes under:
"Units\Orc\Grunt\grunt_portrait.mdx"

The texture (.blp file) needs to be in the same folder as the model files, and it has to be called: "WC2Grunt.blp".

The icons, if you want to use them, go under the folder:
"ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNGrunt.blp"
"ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNGrunt.blp"

Level 2
I want to actually edit the model locally, to change all the grunt models across the game to reflect this model. I created folders as you said but nothing happened, I am still getting invisible grunt. I think this might be an issue with 1.3?

but I am using very old models for others and they all worked like a charm.

Can you make a Grunt replacer model?

I really liked this model and I haven't seen such a good quality model that perfectly matches WC 3 world.

Thanks for the reply btw, this is really saddening been trying for past 2 days, no luck so far but other grunt models and other orc models seem to work perfectly.

Does it have to do with the unwanted textures along with the model, can you chek and tell me what needs to be removed in model editor?

I tried earlier, but it didn't work.

Attachments

• invisible_grunt.png
    invisible_grunt.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Level 2
Actually, I think I know what the issue might be. Try placing the WC2Grunt.blp texture inside of your main Warcraft 3 installation folder - not in the Grunt folder.
Holy shit man, it worked, WOW WOw. Ty so much bless you man and ty so much for all the help and response. Will you consider making more awesome models like this in future?

Thank you once gain.

So what is the logic behind this?

how come it reads from this directory?

Level 48
Because that's the origin directory. It reads all files starting from your WC3 installation path and going down various folders and paths. Our model's texture path is set to simply be "WC2Grunt.blp", not "war3mapimported\WC2Grunt.blp", "Textures\WC2Grunt.blp", "Units\Orc\Grunt\WC2Grunt.blp" or anything like that. That was set for convenience when importing and working on the model. For example, if we change the model and set the texture's path within the model to be "Textures\WC2Grunt.blp", you would need to create a "Textures" folder inside your main WC3 folder. I hope that's clear enough.
And as for making models, you have to keep in mind that this isn't entirely my work. The pack is made up from resources by a wide variety of talented artists. So, go read the credits and find out who made your favourite models! The (amazingly talented) Mr.Goblin is the only consistent variable across (almost) all of the works.