• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gallery of mixed stuff and WIPs (not warcraft related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
"Hot Job – Lead 3D Character Artist
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled lead 3D character artist to work on the award-winning World of Warcraft. The ideal candidate has extensive experience modeling, texturing, and illustrating a diverse visual range of characters and creatures, as well as strong familiarity in related tools -- 3DS Max and Photoshop. A solid grasp of form, structure, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. Take a look at the job posting here."

http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/artist-lead-3d-character-wow.html

Perhaps they will be able to utilize your talent ;)

I doubt the artists and programmers are all that rich. Most of the money usually goes to the company's CEO or something.

Though any job at Blizzard has got to be fun. TBH, if I ever want ot be hired in the games industry being hired by Blizzard would be on my wishlist. Them, and Bungie, Bioware and Obsidian Entertainement.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
"Hot Job – Lead 3D Character Artist
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled lead 3D character artist to work on the award-winning World of Warcraft. The ideal candidate has extensive experience modeling, texturing, and illustrating a diverse visual range of characters and creatures, as well as strong familiarity in related tools -- 3DS Max and Photoshop. A solid grasp of form, structure, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. Take a look at the job posting here."

http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/artist-lead-3d-character-wow.html

Perhaps they will be able to utilize your talent ;)

Well, first of all I don't consider myself even remotely as good as to be hired at blizzard, and secondly I'm not willing to relocate to Irvine, or anywhere else for that matter...Because of studies, friends and all the things I'd have to leave behind. It won't be worth it at all.
As an intern, spending a summer there, I'd be more than happy. But nothing more.

Actually me and a buddy wanted to go at some game or vfx studio as interns this summer (preferably at Massive Black), but we thought we'd wait 'till next year when we'll be 21, 'cause of the retarded minimum drinking age of 21 in the States (seriously now, what's with that shit? In Belgium you can legally drink beer at 12 and stronger alcohol at 16 and they seem to be doing pretty well).

Anyway, we wanted to do some internship so we can see how stuff moves in the industry so we'll have some experience with the company we want to make. I have this idea for a game engine that I hope it's going to be the next big thing (heh, don't we all :p), and my dad already started coding for it (he's been a programmer all his life, and still is for that matter) in his spare time and to be honest it looks pretty good so far...I'll definetly show some progress when we'll have something that I consider worth showing.
And this is serious shit, I mean if it will really work as I envisioned, I'll drop out of university and focus only on this and my band.

LiOneSS: I use max 9, because of that kickass loading screen thingy and because the difference between 9 and 2008 are pretty minor. Those snakes are awesome. Though I think I might switch to 2009, it has some pretty sweet new features and many improvements to mental ray. Though I'll sure miss those snakes :(

TDR

TDR

Level 18
DOOM NO! Space car YES!!!

lost_in_space_wip_02.jpg

started it today, it's for this month's gnomon workshop 3D challenge; theme: "Lost in space".
Very (VERY) rought sketch of what I plan to make:
lost_in_space_sketch.jpg

Level 6
I absolutely HATE using ZBrush from the start and I have a bad impression for people who do so. It's because just about anyone can use ZBrush or Mudbox to make something look good. In other words, I find it way too easy (may sound a bit cocky, but that's how I feel about it). It takes much more skill to make things the old school way and it's also more rewarding for me. I'm not implying that I'm a big shot or something, but I hope one day I'll be good enough to make good looking things without sculpting.

I only like ZBrush for making extreme details that are nearly impossible to make with Max and for texture painting. So call me crazy, expired, old fart or anything, I know this ain't the best opinion, but that's how I feel about this. Sure, Zbrush is an amazing application and it sure speeds things up considerably, but I just don't like depending on it.

it isnt a bad opinion IMO, Zbrush is a tool u use when u are finished, u use it to sculp the model, giving it impressive details etc. so using Zbrush at the start is pretty stupid

lol nice car you got there TDR, love the two arguing aliens in the car

TDR

TDR

Level 18
final_composite.jpg

I'm too lazy to say something new, so I'll just cnp what I said on deviantfart.
"meh, just some texture practice...nothing in there is an actual model, it's all done with textures.
that cockroach you can find by searching on google for "cockroach", but I heavily modified that picture in order to be usable as a texture and to make normals and opacity map.
The wall is a photo that I edited to be tileable, and also made displacement, normals and specular map for it. All that into one big pile of caca."

TDR

TDR

Level 18
k, I'm trying once again to make something for this month's gnomon workshop challenge. The theme for 3D is "Bridge" and I have 2 weeks and a loot of free time, I really hope that I'LL FINISH THIS TIME!!!!!
Here's what I did so far:
bridge_wip_01.jpg

bridge_wip_01_wire0000.jpg

The "flat"surface around the lion head will be rock, which I'll sculpt in zbrush. I made the uv unwrapp and now I'll export to zbrush and see where this goes.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I'm so going to finish this! I don't want to die :(
I've tried like 3 or 4 times to make those cliffs so far and the results were shit, but getting better at every iteration. So the last time I ended up with this, which I'm quite pleased with:
bridge_wip_02.jpg

Still have some more to go on that cliff face, but it's getting there. I had to split it apart from the lion head, because if I'd keep them together the head would subdivide as well, resulting in an insane ammount of polygons. Now the cliffs are at 2 million, but if they were merged with the head I'd be at over 8 million, which would crash on my comp (it did the first time). I'll stitch them in photohop though, in post-production, so no problem there.

I'm so going to finish this! I don't want to die :(
I've tried like 3 or 4 times to make those cliffs so far and the results were shit, but getting better at every iteration. So the last time I ended up with this, which I'm quite pleased with:

Just wondering... is stuff like this easy to make or hard? And is it relatively quick or long and tedious?

Just curious.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
So I see you've made good use of that one cliff/rock tutorial?

It's starting to look like some Indiana Jones thing xD
And why don't you make the cliffs normal mapped in the program you're going to do the renders in?

what tutorial?
Anyway, I'm not going to normal map them because I need all that surface detail at its fullest, to cast shadows and everything. It's not game art, it's the real deal.

@Pyritie: it's quite easy and quite fast actually. It may take some tries until you get it the way you want, but it's easy. It's just alpha brush spam :p. Make some alphas of cliffs (I took some cliff textures from cgtextures.com) and spam them around, but try to follow your shapes as much as possible, and make stuff connect.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Here's a quick test to see how it looks in max:

bridge_wip_04.jpg

The displacement isn't top notch now, but it will be. Also now that I look at it like this I see there's quite a few areas that need some changing. So I'll get to that after sleep.

I have
13 Days, 00 Hours, 55 Minutes, 30 Seconds left :S

TDR

TDR

Level 18
the lion is going to be part of the cliff face, I'm going to make it rocky also.
It won't kick my PC, I have 2GB ram so far and I can go up to 4 million polygons with no problem. If it'll crash, I'll just buy 2 more GB.

edit: shit, I won't buy...I forgot I had no more money :p...damned beer...

Level 5
i hope your engine you're making is as good as you want.
many people's work would be better if it wasn't for the wc3 engine.

excellent work btw. your cliff face looks quite awesome

Level 5
re-read some of the post on page 8 i think

Anyway, we wanted to do some internship so we can see how stuff moves in the industry so we'll have some experience with the company we want to make. I have this idea for a game engine that I hope it's going to be the next big thing (heh, don't we all :p), and my dad already started coding for it (he's been a programmer all his life, and still is for that matter) in his spare time and to be honest it looks pretty good so far...I'll definetly show some progress when we'll have something that I consider worth showing.
And this is serious shit, I mean if it will really work as I envisioned, I'll drop out of university and focus only on this and my band.

Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
dude, our engine is meant to be pretty next-gen...it won't use polygons nor voxels :)
A model that has 160.000 polygons in max exported to our engine runs smooth as hell on the crappiest computer ever...because it has no polygons...you shall see when the time comes.
I could export this cliff face into our engine with no problems, at it's maximum polycount.
hey actually that's a great idea! I'll use this scene four the next tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.