• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FPS in warcraft (REAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
First of all, sorry if i can't make this thread fancy! And thanks to xxxTrickyxxx for his template of the TPS "Sharpshooter Demo"
^__________^

Well -Peper- And I work together to form a full functioning FPS Map for the first time in warcraft III and it the Players will have a full functioning FPS camera using:
Up, Left , Down , Right:thumbs_up:
And movements using WASD :thumbs_up:

We are currently looking for a skinner, Modeler , and a system master (GUI/Jass)
The leader of the project is :fp:-Peper- and Me.

Arisaitou

-Peper-
Arisaitou

-Peper-

Arisaitou

-3 Starter weapons
-Loads of weapons can be chosen!
-Headshots!(With sound effects!)
-And Sprees like Killing spree, monster kill, mega kill, and more~
-FPS View and FPS movement!(No mouse --", dunno how it works)
-Full working Weapons and custom animations!
-Custom Models and anims by Peper & Arisaitou!
-3 Kinds of modes!
->FFA
->Search and Destroy
->Team Death Match

You think we're lying?!
Here's some prove we're not lying!(more coming soon)

screenshotgh.png

In order to realize above features(Well the current weapons available are still snipers like AWM,AWP,M700)We'll need more people, we're running very slowly since we work only with 2 people before.

PS:We really need a fully editable and working bullet system, if you found one, we will give credits to you and the system maker.

FOR THOSE who say FPS in warcraft is IMPOSSIBLE, i'll prove it it's not!:ogre_rage:

HERE, NOT HERE!!!'

THIS IS SC2 MAPS ONLY LOL!

Since I realised that, well I don't wanna join. A full FPS is IMPOSSIBLE in Wc3. Listen to me now, it is IMPOSSIBLE. Tricky's map is the closest thing to it, and note the controls aren't exactly smooth, nor are there any other weapons or anything particularly interesting (except terrain and idea).
A half-FPS, which has half the features of a full FPS, is not impossible, but a full FPS (with functioning WSAD and mouse-aim etc. etc.) is impossible.
You can try to use RtC, but that's your only hope.

Level 6
well, ghost thruster, i will prove it to you, ITS NOT impossible, (well impossible with mouse!)

FPS is FIRST PERSON Shooting correct?

just make an FPS cam and shooting system

and editing Tricky's map (the demo one)

i've successfully made an FPS view! justnow i've tried it, i'm issued with the anims that goes incorrectly (well the anims are good, but the bad thing is it repeats without the triggers commands so i think i'll need to tweak the triggers alot --")

FPS doesn't mean MOUSE controls!
because FPS is first person (viewed) shooting correct?

well i agree if you meant fps + mouse controls

well, WASD movements control will use abilities (i don't know how to implement it though)
it doesn't bug you if the WASD hotkey is pressed not clicked right? O__O

well, ghost thruster, i will prove it to you, ITS NOT impossible, (well impossible with mouse!)

A full FPS is IMPOSSIBLE in Wc3.

FPS doesn't mean MOUSE controls!
because FPS is first person (viewed) shooting correct?

well, WASD movements control will use abilities (i don't know how to implement it though)
it doesn't bug you if the WASD hotkey is pressed not clicked right? O__O

No matter what you do, you can not:
Move
Strafe
Look up/down
Turn left/right
or Automatic Fire

at the same time, since mouse-aim and firing is impossible, and WSAD can not detect release. And if you're not adding anything new except some guns and terrain, hell I'll just play Sharpshooter by Tricky.

Level 6
Move? I can
Strafe? i can
Look up/down nope i cant
Automatic fire, YES I CAN

Thank you Ghost, now i know why it's impossible, (The WASD key)

its true i've added AWM, AWP, M700 to the basic Tricky's map
it's better than his template because i've added some weapons and it's thanks to him

can you at least be polite? Like -Peper- he's very polite

and actually WASD key is not impossible especially if we use Unit has buff

Please, explain to me how you can auto-fire.
Of course, these are all just small things, however when you tally up the Wc3<>FPS limits...
  • Arrow key delays
  • No smooth WASD without 3rd-party programs
  • No mouse-aim
  • No mouse fire
  • No space-bar jumps(though you can use hotkeys)
  • No automatic fire
  • It is hard to apply the camera perfectly so that you can see your hands-
  • Alternatively, you can use fade filters, like in Sharpshooter, however both options take file-space and work, especially modelling the hands, as you'll need several anims and models for each weapon (you can use attachments, however the anims will not be different)

I dunno what you want me to say. I just think it's a bad idea; Sharpshooter -which although compared to some maps is AWESOME, is dodgy as an FPS and not that fun- was the closest thing to an FPS, and if you're gonna copy it and add a few bits and pieces, well I think you might as well do something else. I didn't insult you in any way, nor did I insult the project, only the idea.

Level 4
Arisaitou, although I agree with GhostThruster in terms of having no smooth WASD movement and other really HUGE limitations within the WarCraft engine, what about (only suggesting, which doesn't have to be taken heavily) using the RtC (Reinventing the Craft) project with mouse support and other interesting add-ins in this FPS?

I noticed that the guy who made the whole thing published a finished version (v1.0) which would allow people to use the same version of modification (RtC) if this project of an FPS is finished.

So really, for another FPS, it might be an idea to step up to being able to create a full FPS in WarCraft, with the only REAL draw back being having to use a piece of Third Party Software in conjuction with WarCraft 3.

thats just my opinion.

Anyway, good luck with the project whichever way you choose. :D :)

Level 20
Wc3<>FPS limits...
  • Arrow key delays
  • No smooth WASD without 3rd-party programs
  • No mouse-aim
  • No mouse fire
  • No space-bar jumps(though you can use hotkeys)
  • No automatic fire
  • It is hard to apply the camera perfectly so that you can see your hands-
  • Alternatively, you can use fade filters, like in Sharpshooter, however both options take file-space and work, especially modelling the hands, as you'll need several anims and models for each weapon (you can use attachments, however the anims will not be different)

1. Make it single player
2. Mouse aim? You could do it 2plane (like your map ghost/no vertical value)
3. I've heard you can use spacebar in some way, but won't vouch for it.
A hotkey jump would suffice.
4. Haven't tried the camera/hands thing, I assume once you've done it for one model the rest would be straight forward.
5. Fade filters aren't such a great idea, I'd go with models if possible.
- Large file size as ghost pointed out
- You need way too many, it's effort to make them, import them etc and it looks pretty sluggish unless you fancy doing 30+ every SECOND of an anim.

I think it's possible, just without mouse movement, and yes I think it would be fun. Do I think you guys are capable? I like to hope so, but can only wait and see and yeah finally... this is in the wrong section, it should be in 'Map Development'.

EDIT: As for a bullet system there are SEVERAL ways to go about it, depending on if you want efficiency, ease of use(edit), collision detection, damage location etc, either way you'll need to know some complex maths as all the best use it in abundance and it's pointless using a system you don't understand.

1. Ruins alot of fun for alot of people, though yeah, there are some who like SP more than MP.
2. Ruins the gameplay a bit, and if you decide that, you have to remove jumping as well as different height levels.
3. You can detect camera movement (since when you press spacebar, the camera moves to the spacebar point), but that's as close as you'll get.
4. Yep true, but he still needs to animate them differently, as, for example, the reload anim of an M4 is different to that of a Shotgun (so using attachments is out of the question). Also, he needs to hide the model from other players (which is easy, but even easier with fade filters).
5. I prefer fade filter
-Large filesize true, but I wouldn't say that all those hand models will also add a big filesize (especially if you're gonna use custom textures)
-I think they're easier to make than models, you need about 4 or 5 per half-second, not that hard (most of the frames need minor edits from their previous frame).

I know a half-FPS, the most FPS you can go with the Wc3 engine, is possible.
For a bullet system, I recommend NFWar's GUI arc/missile system, found in the spells section. It's in GUI and very customizable.

I know alot about this stuff, because I've tried several times to make an FPS.

Level 6
If you're not busy. Mind giving me the link?

Thanks for supporting

I really want to make FPS View in warcraft true!

i successfully made an FPS system in Sharpshooter demo, i'll be putting a beta test soon enough( don't worry, file size Will never reach 8mb)

current available weapons

AUGA1(Still with tapping the (E) hotkey though)
AWM(Sharpshooter's system)
AWP(same as above)
M700(*same*)

Ghost,
about this
"4. Yep true, but he still needs to animate them differently, as, for example, the reload anim of an M4 is different to that of a Shotgun (so using attachments is out of the question). Also, he needs to hide the model from other players (which is easy, but even easier with fade filters)."

you're almost right, but it's not out of the question

coz i can make (Stand Reload M4A1) animation
and Stand Shotgun

Level 6
not really, (well for me)
except triggering is hard for me (JASS)

Ghost, i have a request if you don't mind
Can you make/find me one like NFwar's system?
it has arc which i quite don't like it
i bullets will pierce like -> not ( or ) right?

i mean it doesn't have curve shapes like an arc right?
if you can find one i'll be sure to put you in the credits

Level 20
You actually don't have to eliminate height levels if you do two planes.
The obvious work arounds;

-> You have to be on the same height level to damage someone.
-> Some smart angle calculation system, i.e. if your facing a certain way and there is an enemy x distance and your facing him then angle the camera accordingly, it'll look like your shooting at them (and you can trigger damage seperately).

They both ruin the fun and spoil the FPS aspect of it.
I'd prefer the WSAD unsmooth method to that.
And, well, an auto-target...is just...yeah.

@WarManta: Please, re-explain everything, or else I'll consider your post bullshit.
Alot of things are impossible in Wc3;
  • Custom UI Layout
  • Hotkey release detection
  • Space-bar detection
  • Even the simplest shit such as killing Doodads via triggers
Just to name a few. Also, other things such as JNGP and RtC is not Wc3, thus removing even more features.

@Arisaitou: You can still design your map whilst modelling, eg. making up the modes and enemies etc. or terraining.
Like I said, modelling it is more time-consuming than making 2D sprites.

@Grey Nightmare: Everything is a matter of opinion, when you think about it :p
Plus, the majority of FPS players would agree that a game/map without a vertical axis, does not work.

Level 6
They both ruin the fun and spoil the FPS aspect of it.
I'd prefer the WSAD unsmooth method to that.
And, well, an auto-target...is just...yeah.

@WarManta: Please, re-explain everything, or else I'll consider your post bullshit.
Alot of things are impossible in Wc3;
  • Custom UI Layout
  • Hotkey release detection
  • Space-bar detection
  • Even the simplest shit such as killing Doodads via triggers
Just to name a few. Also, other things such as JNGP and RtC is not Wc3, thus removing even more features.

JNGP and RtC were never of any use to me anyways and even without them you can modify anything to what you want.
Custom UI Layout? Explain because you can change the textures of the UI as well trick the interface with dummy units. Meaning WoW can be recreated in Wc3 if anyone really ever tried.
Hotkey release detection.... Well maybe not exactly but you could make it so you tap it and its going and going until you tap it again so instead of holding it and releasing it, it is still nearly the same.
Spacebar can be detected with camera manipulation and was here on hive once as a resource in the spell section as GUI.
Don't use doodads then? Dummy units work much better or destructible and maybe some time someone will figure out that or it'll be added by blizzard.

By the way, it sounds like this map could be a lot of fun whenever you finish the resources for it and start making it altogether.

1. Never said they were.
2. Really? Well, you keep telling yourself that.
3. So, you admit W3 can't do something as simple as detect a button released?
4. What if you have a locked camera? (which is with most cases in maps such as RPGs and Shooters)
5. Once again, good luck. Try to put 500 fkn units in one map. Also, destructibles have a limit without JNGP.

You haven't proven anything. AGAIN.

Level 6
It can be tricked to detect a hotkey release.... but without custom code I guess you are right in a way, why lock the camera... it is so easy to unlock it and there is no need to lock it and in most cases i don't see them lock it and if they do then it is a mistake.
why put 500 units in one map? break the limit yourself for destructible's then?

Peper you can use another way of locking that actually works and could be also used for spacebar detection, as well alternatives still mean the job can be done but a different workaround meaning they can be done.

If you wanted perfection for one of your idea's for a map then I would advise go learn C++ and go make your own game or come back to Wc3 and make something better...
I was only trying to help and show that anything can be done but just not the way you see it.

Level 20
I really wish people would look up the meanings of courtesy, free speech, respect and OPINIONS. Jus because you dislike an idea doesn't mean someone shouldnt follow it through and just because you think it's crap, boring or no fun doesnt mean everyone else does. If they want to make this map let them, if you want to rage about what war3 can and can't do go and make another thread for it.

Oh and yes, guys see if a mod will mov this thread for you ;)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
-FPS View and FPS movement!(No mouse --", dunno how it works)
What a crap FPS this will be. It is already worse than many of the beta FPS games that were on battlenet before SC2 was released. Now we have full cursor position support so any FPS that does not use mouse will look rather poor.

Your model looks like shit, its like WC3 quality. The battlecruiser has over 3K polys and yet for something that eats up a lot of the screen you are giving less than 500?

Honestly, you need to set your goals a little higher. SC2 already has better than what you are offering. Tons of maps use WASD movement already (its not hard or anything). I have seen atleast 3 FPS with mouse aim support and those were all playable multiplayer (despite the minor lag).

FOR THOSE who say FPS in warcraft is IMPOSSIBLE, i'll prove it it's not!
Um, why not just use the SC2 models instead of importing crap WoW and WC3 models... Seems rather stupid to import models of gun soldiers and stuff when the game arleady has tons of them.

@Grey Nightmare: I don't dislike their confidence and idea, I dislike their stupidity in trying to make it in Wc3 and I dislike the fact they're not adding much to Tricky's map.

@DSG: Lol, I thought that too! But I edited my first post really quickly without people seeing what I originally posted :p
I don't think there would be too much lag, but the controls would still be bad.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes if you play it single player there is not, but the multiplayer latency adds a lot of lag to your movement which makes it unplayable (as you basically sit doing the wrong thing for half a second). Even SC2 suffers from this to a degree but atleast you can aim using your cursor to make up for it and the events trigger more quickly.

Level 8
Detection of the mouse at the edge of the screen is possible in wc3 but extremely buggy and does not always work. I remember it was done once on thehelper.net however anything else that has to do with the mouse is practically impossible unless you use trackables to get the mouses x and y and then u try to some how calculate using the cameras position to figure out were the mouse is. Only thing I can possibly think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.