• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New FPS Mod in Progress: Looking for more people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I've been working on a map made primarily for LAN parties called "Counter-Strike: de_aztec" which will feature two camera modes, one FPS, and the other 3rd person.

Keyboard Issues:
Keyboard Movement and other systems that require the use of Arrow keys are the main issue and the one thing that is demotivating. However, the most we can do to ease the issue a tiny bit is remove memory leaks, which is being worked on now. At the moment, most of the FPS system is working, but needs some tweaks and debugging.
Another major factor that needs work is shooting. At the moment, the player is able to shoot by pressing the key H on their keyboard, however I would like to have a JASSer change it to the Spacebar since it's easier to press wether you're using the WASD keys or the Arrow keys. And although you can shoot, the bullets do not deal any damage or register headshots. I want someone to change that. :grunt_smile:

Movement/Aiming:
If you're curious of how the FPS mods will be played, it's quite simple, but may be complicated on your first and second try. There are two modes: Aiming Mode and Walking Mode. Both modes are used with the WASD or Arrow Keys. You can toggle through modes by pressing the ESCape key on your keyboard. For example: If you press Escape and it enables Aiming mode, you can aim up, down, left and right, by using the Arrow Keys, but will enable the WASD keys to act as movement keys. And if you have Movement Mode enabled, WASD is used for aiming, while the arrow keys are used for walking and strafing. Simple?

At first, adjusting where you wish to aim and walk around is tough and can be frustrating, but I guarantee after your second try, you'll get the hang of it. The aiming system is very complex and handy, it requires skill and that is what I want to base this mod about.

Crouching & Jumping:
Crouching (currently prone animation) and Jumping are available features in this mod as well, and each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Crouching increases accuracy (if we ever implement recoil system when shooting) and obviously makes you lower, making you a harder target to aim at and also a good way to hide in bushes or behind boxes and other objects. But while crouched, your movement speed is reduced by 50% and you take twice the damage you would take while standing up. This is good and a good way to balance the gameplay a bit so players don't run around while crouched the whole time and campers won't have the greatest advantages.
Jumping reduces recoil (as I've said, if we implement recoiling system) and takes extra damage than standing.
Jumping and Crouching is not yet implemented, but we do plan to add both aspects into the game.

Features:
Here are most of the things that will be featured in this mod:
-Leaderboard. [Done]
-Firstperson view. [Done]
-Announcements such as "First Blood!" and "Godlike!"
-Headshots ARE calculated and announced when achieved.
-Keyboard movement. [Done]
-Special Effects such as Flashbangs and Smoke Grenades.
-Auto Team Balancing (If game allows)
-10 rounds until game ends. [Done]
-Teams are 6vs6 (12) [Done]
-Jumping And Crouching enabled!
-Custom UI.
-Buy Menu.
-Crosshair.
-Bot-Matches! (Single Player Mode)
And much, much, more!

FAQs About CS:de_aztec:
Q: Is Counter-Strike: <mapname> really made and played in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne?
A: Yes. The mod is being created in the World Editor.

Q: What is the filesize of this map?
A: The filesize is currently 2.8mb

Q: What is the release date of this map?
A: It is too early to say or even predict the release date. Keep an eye on the site for updating information.

Q: Is the map laggy in-game?
A: The map's movement system is the only thing that has delays up to 4 seconds. Other than that, the map does not lag.

Q: Suggested Players?
A: 1vs1-6vs6. Can hold up to 12 players.

Q: What Tileset is being used?
A: The current tileset being used in map: CS:de_aztec, is Sunken Ruins. But may have a custom tileset later on.

Q: Who is getting credit for this map?
A: Those who have participated in helping with the making of this map, are listed below:
Craka_J, XxM0rPH3usxX, Gimme_My_Bone, RulerofIron99, Ket, Jumbo_Pie, -=Emergenzy=-, and Mc !

Q: Is there custom music?
A: No.

Q: How many quests will be featured in this map?
A: At the moment, there are only 4 'quests' in the game. But they are just tips on how to play. However there are 2 Objectives.

Q: Will the models in this map be released?
A: Some of them are already released. But the ones made specificly for this mod may not be released.

Q: What kind of camera view(s) will the player have?
A: There are two camera views you can choose. First Person Camera (Camera in the eyes of unit) and Third Person Camera (Camera behind unit)

RECRUITING:
If you are interested in joining this project (NO TERRAINERS NEEDED) and see that you meet atleast one of the following requirements, please post a request to join my team here:
-Very good triggerer.
-Triggerer with JASSing experience.*
-Modeller.
-Skinner.*
-Skilled Animation Maker.

I also appreciate people who email counter-strike sounds to me at: [email protected]
I currently have no CS sounds, so any help will HELP. :)

CREDITS:
Those who are getting credit for what they've done for the project so far are listed below:
Project Leader: Craka_J(Terrain, Cinematics, Objectives)

Models: XxM0rPH3usxX(Weapons), HappyTauren(Effects)

Triggers: RulerofIron99(FPS System), KingOfJasons(Other Triggers), Craka_J(Cinematics, Quests, In-game events), Gimme_My_Bone(Basic Multiplayer Triggers)

Sounds: Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Other.

Making More Than Just A Map
As you can see, I am making cinematics. Why cinematics for a multiplayer FPS map you may be asking, but I forgot to mention that not only are we making a FPS map that will be multiplayer (Counter-Strike: de_aztec) but we are also making a Campaign that will feature gameplay that can compare to Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Will Rock, etc.

However, we won't start on the campaign until Counter-Strike: de_aztec is completed first, that way we can Copy & Paste all of the triggers and variables into the campaign and save time. So basicly the multiplayer version (which will also feature single-player mode as well [bots]) will have everything the campaign version will have. HOWEVER, both files, the campaign and CS map, will be protected. But after the campaign is completed, I promise to release another FPS map that will be unprotected and have some tips inside to help people make their own awesome FPS maps, wether it's multiplayer or not.

Gameplay(Counter-Strike: de_aztec):
Being that this First Person Shooter mod is to be an impression of the actual Counter-Strike game itself, the gameplay shall remain similar; and I say similar because since we are remaking a First Person shooter in a Real-Time-Strategy game's map editor, we couldn't really put every last bit of detail of what you'd find in CS in our CS, such as climbing ladders and blasting glass windows with a shotgun. So to make up for what we can't implement into the mod, we plan to add more gameplay features that will be fun, useful, and require skills. I won't expose all of my plans just yet, I don't want to spoil any upcoming things. However, one idea of mine that I believe would be great is giving the host of the map the power as a Counter-Strike admin would have. For example: If you were the host of the map and felt like playing a bot-match, but in the process of fighting them, they seemed to be too difficult for you, you can actually type in a special command (commands will be listed on site when map is released) and have the bots play easier. You can even ban and reallow weapons to be used as well!

Feedback about this mod is greatly appreciated!
-Craka_J

PS: The website for the FPS mod, Counter-Strike: de_aztec is at: http://www.freewebs.com/wc3-counterstrike/

Last edited:
Level 25
The konstrukt pack helps alot, but there are alternatives. I just choose to use konstrukts because I am lazy and it's easier to use.
Alternatives are: Find another model; Have someone make you a model specificly for this particular map; or/and request something better!

This mod will be a true FPS map. Actually behind the gun and the crosshair, not the usual third person maps you see that call themselves first person shooters. Online, the keyboard actions delay for about 2 seconds, sometimes up to 4 seconds before the ordered action responds.

Although, that is why I'm making a singleplayer version as well, as a back-up basicly!

REQUEST(s):
-Smoke Cloud. I need a smoke could that will be used as an effect after the smoke grenade is activated. Make the smoke cloud thick and dark grey. If you give me the requested effect, you shall be listed above in the credits.

That is all of the requests I believe I need for now. Thanks alot in advance to those who help,
-Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 8
lol, ive already done this long ago... having a set AOA when moving around and just having the gun with a centered crosshair and you have to stop hit a button and go into an aim view but u cant move and then you can rotate up and down to shoot someone whos higher up or lower down. And headshots cehst shots and legshots. Done it all... downside, BNET arrow keys lag making all of your work completely useless, and no one really plays wc3 LAN, well .002% maybe. Which is what happened to my project. Just giving a word of advice, check the delay of lag very very carefully test it fully and make sure it is playable. Really, get as many people possible and test the thing 100 times in all conditions and make sure theres no half second delay because its a killer and makes all of your work a waste.

Level 25
0.002% is far too wrong of a percentage. In my studies, atleast 20% of the WC3 players play LAN. Not often, but they do do it.
+I LAN alot and that's my main motivation to finish this one.

About Wc3:WoW, it's at a halt now because the ENTIRE team has died once again.

Will we ever add AZERTY? I'm afraid not. WASD and Arrow keys will be the only two main keys to be used as movement/aiming keys.

This map isn't exactly the best Bnet map though mainly because of Blizzard. It is not OUR mistake. Blizzard has some debugging to do with their coding that they can fix in a simple patch, it'll cost them and be hard to fix for them though which is why they will NEVER fix it. I'm hoping for Blizzard to suprise me and give us a useful patch for once and fix this major problem.

Level 25
HELL YES. But we won't leave CS:de_aztec un-protected because we don't want other noobs to ruin it and call it their own production. So, we plan to release a more simple map, but unprotected and shouldn't be too hard to use in your own maps.

EDIT:
Oh and about the smoke nade effect needed, HappyTauren has fullfilled this request and has been added to credits. THANKS MUCH HT!

Last edited:
Level 8
hmm, well 20% would be over a thousand and most lan players are those hardcore melee guys that think there the shit, or the people who play dota like its crack on a stick, but anyway are you planning to use wasd for rotating vertically and horizontally while using arrow keys to move around? Because, even with JASS, im pretty sure you cannot force wasd to act as the arrow keys do, unless you are going to have it tapping it constantly. Unless wasd is a toggle for running but then its reversed and would confuse people? I just found it better to have a 0(360) AoA while running around and then just have an aim view where you use arrow keys to aim around but your not moving. Thats the simplest way I had done it, I found using WASD to be fruitless.

-Also, just a heads up, when using filters for your guns... use 512x512 then canvas to 910x512. Then you go compress it to 512x512 then check how it looks before you save by changing it to 800x450.

So it should look something like this... make sure it looks HIGHEST of quality and no jagged edges or it will look tacky.

Last edited:
Level 25
I like the model you're using for your map. :) However it takes up too much room in my opinion and I want something a bit smaller and to fit just on the right corner of the map, like you see in the actual Counter-Strike game.

Anyway, since this is the Project Recruitment area, I suppose it'd be best to get right on topic of what NEEDS to be made. First off: Models>

-First Person Shooter model, sort of what Tricky has but... well just look at in-game screenshots of Counter-Strike and make a model of hands holding a pistol, any kind that you see in CS (i.e. Deagle, USP, Glock, etc.) http://cscity.8m.com/mp5.gif

-Counter-Terrorist model needed (with animations is a big +) I don't want to use the marine model. I want a model that resembles the actual CS model. If screenshots are needed, I shall provide them. If you can, you can use this http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/1601/ as a base model and just edit the model into looking like a Counter-Terrorist. If you make both a Counter-Terrorist AND Terrorist, I shall award thee two reputation points. Other screenshots are below.
Counter-Terrorists:
http://www.geocities.com/enda_mcg/arw/airplane2.jpg
http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/guides/CSS/CT.jpg
Terrorists:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/4/4f/Terrorist_standing.jpg
http://www.clantemplates.com/renders/gallery/data/thumbnails/98/terror_famas3.gif
http://www.halflifeportal.com/images/cs1full.jpg

And now for the skinners:
-Need a very good skinner to redo tileset for me and make it resemble the actual tileset in CS:de_aztec.

Triggerers or experienced JASSers needed:
-To make Buy Menu.
-To make advanced physics for grenades to bounce off walls, roll on hills, etc.
-To help complete FPS system.
-To make bullets do damage and calculate headshots.

That will be all that is needed for now. If you are interested, please IM me on MSN or Xfire (Xfire: Crakaj)(MSN: [email protected])
All help is greatly appreciated!
-Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 5
I dunno, its still on my desktop but I havent done anything to it lately. Sniping doenst really have that EPIC or exciting factor to it in wc3 i guess. Just dont see anyone really playing it if i release it, and making a scenario out of it is too hard.

If it makes you feel better I'm relying on it for my map. I'll have to remove Sniper and possibly Rocket Launcher from the list of possible weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.