• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Flood Spore

I noticed a lot of people were requesting halo models, and i really couldn't see them making a halo map without this little fella. :)
I did this for a halo project of my own that i was working on for a while, and hopefully it will be continued, but if not, i will release all my other models for it later.
But untill then, DON'T bother me with request, or ask me if you can have any of them.

Feel free to make any skins or edits on this model, but make sure to give credit.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know what this is: The flood is a parasitic creature featured in the Halo games, that infests sentient bodies and use them as hosts.
Infected bodies suffer from great mutation and disformation.

UPDATE: Lowered particle count to about half.
LARGE UPDATE:
*Added Spell Death animation
*Increased *POP*-ness in regular and spell death animation
*Added a third walk animation in wich the unit jumps about twice as high as in the second walk anim
*Flesh pieces now fade away before dissapearing

Small update: Fixed name of Spell Death anim.

Another small update:
Here you go misha, alternate death name changed to "death spell".

EDIT: I noticed this model did not have a proper death sound, like the earlier version had. That is fixed now. Also rounded extents and coordinates of some stuff, might reduce size, i dunno.

Keywords:
Halo, flood, spore, space, insect, parasite, gravemind
Contents

Flood Spore (Model)

Reviews
23:40, 27th Dec 2009 DonDustin: awesome model that will fit into many different themed maps. But I still think that an attack animation is missing. Aproved nonetheless

M

23:40, 27th Dec 2009
DonDustin: awesome model that will fit into many different themed maps. But I still think that an attack animation is missing.

Aproved nonetheless

Level 4
Just asking if this model is gonna come out in a campaign, since i see it is a in game screenshot of what i think is a campaign : )

a Warcraft-Halo style Campaign is what im waiting for :grin:

Very good job on this model. Very nice animations, texture, and mesh.
But I do have two suggestions:
-Make the death look more like a *POP* cause that's how it looks in Halo.
-Also, lowering the particle count would be very nice. It's definitely fine right now, but if someone had hundreds of these things coming at you at once, and you're killing many at a time, those particles could add up, and paired with explosions and higher poly models, that could make for some serious lag.
-For the walk-2, I think it should jump higher, so it looks like it's leaping, instead of just hopping.
But otherwise, very nice job on this.

Level 3
Very Good Model. I am one of those "people making halo maps", altough it isnt just halo, it will be very useful. More Halo Guys are always appreciated as well, we seem to have every thing else except that.

@ikillforeyou: My map is about 2.7 in compressed map size, but it's about to get smaller!
I started this project back in the days when Vertex Modifyer was my only means for modeling, and it did not include the option of removing unseen polygons. I will clean those models up in 3dmax later on, and merge some of them to make the shading work correctly. That floor model is just taking up way too much doodad space.

Small filesize is kept due to that i've been very effective in making one single texture file including the textures for most of my models. Everything in the picture except for the units and that weapon box thing is using the same texture.

@Shamanyouranus: Yes, 100x2 was very high particle count, that has been fixed now. But i disagree with you on the leap, maybe it should be slightly higher, but i wanted to make the effect of a boiling sea of creatures sweeping across the map. I will not bother fixing it, but thanks for your opinion.
And lastly.. the death sequence ends in less than 300 milisec - how is that not *POP* enough? :O

Hell gate: I will absolutely not make the arms in 3d, those units are supposed to be MASSED, and that's big time, so 3d arms is just a waste. Also, i like the way the red stuff is big, it makes it more visible and characteristic.

Though i will fix that jump a little bit, maybe add an attack anim in wich it jumps up too waving its arms or something.
But i really don't see what's wrong with the death anim, its quick, it's *pop*-ish, and it even has a poppy sound to it.. you have to elaborate!

Thanks to everyone for all the CnC!

Alright, comment round 2
Ok, Fingolfin, I shall elaborate:
-The death animation isn't quite *splat* right now. It's more of a *splork*
Try making the body parts fly out a little farther and faster, cause right now it looks like its splatting underwater. Also, make the little body parts fade out or something, or give a decay animation. Cause Warcraft models tend to get screwy when they have no decay and there are still parts hanging around, they kinda linger for a while, than just disappear. And back to the *splat* issue, try to get the particles to fly out a little bit, instead of just being a little cloud thing, that might help.
-On the topic of the jumping, i think the small jump is good, but a high leap would be good too. Maybe you can have both, so that way when they move as a group it can look like a pulsating mass of them, with a few idiots hopping around. It'll make it a bit more accurate, and add more versatility to the walk. And it'll be pretty lolzy.
-I'd also add little tentacles on his lower body, cause the flood have like....50 little tentacle legs instead of four normal ones, but it wouldn't be very noticeable and it might be pointless work, so only do that if you want.
That's...uh...kinda it.

I studied the halo 3 flood unit, and they seem to have six "legs" in total. I only did four not to stress the engine too much, i think it's enough.
But about the splash, now that you say it, i think you're right. Solid materials can't fade, but i can make an extra blend material for those parts, and fix the stuff you said.
As for the jump anim, i will copy the regular jump and add a little height and spin to it. Perhaps i can add an alternate stand animation too. But i will have to wait untill tomorrow to fix all this.
Thanks.

Level 3
Oh man... this brings back memories of the first Halo game and blowing these things to bits...
Awesome model! I was (once) making a Halo map, and this is a must have in any Halo map involving the Flood. Good job, 4/5 cause nothing can ever be perfect. :xxd:

Level 3
Amazing Model so perfect for the game im creating just wondering when game will come out and if it did fail when will models come out

P.S. im not making halo but halo wars no one has thought of it yet and i would like unit models only maybe you'll be biggest contributer if you give spartan models or flood models(bloblius form, beast form, this is infection form btw, flood buildings) any thing would help me i know you said you wouldn't realease but i really want to be done with this its been a year and the last one i made got deleted (i was depreesed for a month) well if you will thank you if not awesome model and thanks any way

Level 3
Btw, flood buildings?
There are no such things in halo canon! :S

Well, you could make the Gravemind or the infected High Charity. Or both.

screamza said:
P.S. im not making halo but halo wars no one has thought of it yet and i would like unit models only maybe you'll be biggest contributer if you give spartan models or flood models(bloblius form, beast form, this is infection form btw, flood buildings) any thing would help me i know you said you wouldn't realease but i really want to be done with this its been a year and the last one i made got deleted (i was depreesed for a month) well if you will thank you if not awesome model and thanks any way

The teamcolor-version spartan model can be downloaded here.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/halo-master-chief-teamcoloured-66441/?prev=search%3Dhalo%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

Level 2
Awesomezzz

FREGGIN AWESOME!!!!! If you can...Make these models listed bellow that wuld be awesome
(unless they already created)--
Brutes
Alien Ships (those mini ones u jump in)
Elites
Arbiter
Small Alien Guys (ones with small pistols)
etc.

Oh, sorry!
I named it so that it might be interpreted as an attack anim aswell. But you could always change the "required animation" thing in the object editor aswell, if you want to use the kaboom ability.

it must be "death spell" because havin' a unit that explodes and appears again on attack would be... ludicrous o_O

Level 3
Holy Shi-- i've been waiting for this model for a looooong time! Can't wait for you to Release or make more :DD

EDIT:

@Supaherobomb, There's already a Elite Model, try searching in one of Hiveworkshop's Halo Threads, you could find it.

Cause i found it before, but then, i wasn't interesting in making a Halo Map.

Last edited: