• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Defense / Survival] Flickering Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I didn't think you meant the acolyte because it doesn't really look out of place with its default skin in a dark map like this. I really like the effect you have now if you're able to change the runes to something more ghostly.

The waterfall and other water models from Refuge in Ruins would look good in that hideout. You can change their tinting entirely the way you want to since they're pure white. The wood and stones might also be fitting.

If I can find the path, definitly! and DEAR GAWD I COMPLETLY FORGOT ABOUT THIS.... I... will probably rework a few parts of the terrain now :O JESUS! good thing I did started doing ruins etc. it just shows I should probably put some extra work on adding neat details with my structures etc.

So, as commented by Minimage in the chat = yeah your soldier seems reaaaaaally out of place.

--

Meanwhile, the fantastic @KILLCIDE is working on the character selection triggers and I am doing some pretttttty neat stuff myself. :)

Let me present you!!!

two things=
A = the Character selection background :D

and

B = a silhouette of the new soldier's model = a Customized Mr.Goblin texture is on it's way!

selecthero1.png

cheers!

Attachments

• selecthero2.png
    selecthero2.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Looks great man. I really like the atmosphere!

On another note. Can you please use thumbnails so we can scroll through the pictures instead of opening a new window for each? :)

sure! and thanks for the support mate! I appreciate :D

=============

CHARACTER SELECTION WORK IN PROGRESS
Only need the proper models and the art for the icons.
The Triggers are now done thanks to the amazing @KILLCIDE :)

source-gif.257640

PS: of course this was highly inspired by the diablo 2 hero selection. :D
The reason behind this artistic choice is =
1- it's a cool way to select your hero.
2- It's great to set the tone of the game before you even start playing it.
3- it's clear and easy to understand :D

Attachments

• source.gif
    29.6 MB · Views: 791
Last edited:
You're making me look like the bad guy! CHARACTER SELECTION WORK IN PROGRESS. Only thing we are waiting on is for you to make the descriptions and Heroes!

Fixed it!, and incoming... like right now :D

The hero selection looks neat.

Thanks mate!

===========================================

THE SOLDIER

Versatile and battle hardened, the Soldier is a well protected, skilled warrior.
His primary function is to dive into the enemy line and create havoc where he goes.
He's a great support character for range Heroes.

soldier.gif

Combat = Melee
Primary attribute = Strength

DPS = Medium
HP = High
Defence = High
Mouvement Speed = Medium Low

-=ABILITIES=-

CHARGE - The Soldier charges at the unit target, capable of going through enemy units. Once reached, the target is stunned for X seconds and the Soldier gains a boost in damage of X and defense of X for a small period.

CLEAVE
- With a powerful swing, the soldier strikes with forces close-by units, pushing them away in the process. Unit who got hit bleeds X Hp every X seconds until they collapse or are healed.

TAUNT - The Soldier lets out a powerful cry, forcing nearby enemy units to attack him. With this cry, the warrior gains +X in defense, over a period of X seconds. (the taunt exceed the vision of the soldier, you might attract unneeded attention.)

BATTLE HARDENED (PASSIVE) - While in the heat of battle, the Soldier gains extra awareness over the battlefield, he has X% more chance of blocking attacks and hasX% chance of disarming an enemy every blow he takes. Disarm reduces the enemy's attack of 95% for a period of X second.

This model is a highly edited version of the Lothar model fround on XGM. Thanks blizzard entertainement for the base model, XGM for the export and Minimage for the massive editing. Texture made by me, yours truely... Mr.Goblin.

^ Tell me what you guys think of these spells... should I change some buffs? or perhaps remove a spell and offer me a better idea? let me know. I want this character to be able to explore and survive on his own while also being extremly usefull and versatile in team battles.

Last edited:
Woah, this is turning into grindcore. This will be some offensive survival map. I hope this won't affect the scary and thriller of it too much.
Not really, units will be very powerfull. there will rarely be swarms of enemis all at once... and if it's the case it will be balanced in a way it will be hard to survive it. These attacks are mostly designed to at least give some ''fun'' to the players + promote a certain type of attack style you want.

Aka, I like playing brawlers/warriors/barbarians, so I designed one that fits into the universe and that could work well with his allies. If you study his skills, most can be really usefull to distract enemies from allies, get to allies rapidly, diverge mass attentions, attrack people towards you for ultimate damage etc.

You said heavily edited, but forgot to mention that I made the sword and helmet from scratch. :D
I like that texture for the sword tho. :D

I'll fix this :D yes I should give proper credits :D and yeah it turned out great!

Love the model. As for abilities, I would add at least one more active ability. Three seems too little considering you are controlling just the one hero

The players won't just control abilities, planty of items will be involved in the gameplay as well. So I wouldn't worry about it to much, beside Warcraft3 is built in such a way that heroes can't hold to much abilities... because at somepoint they overlap each other. So yeah, first We'll find balance via the combat and skills... and later sure maybe add 1 ability or two if we see it lacks interactions. :)

======
THREAD PRESENTATION UPDATE INCOMING SOON' KEEP IN TOUCH! (aka I'll probably edit this post once it's done) :)

WILL'O WISP
What first seems like a welcoming light of a house in the distance, is actually a lost soul. Follow him and you might find a hidden treasures or meet your gruesome death, depending to whom the soul belonged to. (a observant player would know by looking at it’s surrounding if the Will-o’-the-Wisp is peaceful or evil)

willowisp.gif

that looks damn good! and a nice concept!
Thanks mate :3

Atmospheric. Also, glad to see it ingame. Would've loved to see how the portrait looks though. :D

Btw, my Bas Celik UI that I made in the past could fit this project. NEW UI WIP, Misha's Request.
It basically just need an alpha layer and it's basically done.

Yeah, we'll have to talk about the portrait, the camera has a wierd offset. :D
and your UI looks fantastic! but I don't think it's fitting for this map. Although, there's a few great ideas I might get inspired from!:D

Since the UI is mostly embellishment, I won't be focused on doing it anytime soon. There's a ton of textures I should be doing first for doodads and units. The list is really loooong. Only 1/6 of the terrain is made and even the parts that were made, could get more love.

Still doing some tests for the atmosphere... right now I'm in the process of creating the units as well. etc.

It's a lot of work for 1 person :D, thank god there's you and Killcide to help me out with things I just can'T do. :D

==UPDATE==
So, me and the wonderful KILLCIDE have been testing out the first 3 spells of the Soldier, (Charge, Cleave and taunt). There's still room for bug fixing, but it will be a delight to play with this classe! :) Stay tune for a special Spell presentation post.... yes, with gifs and everything.

I also have been working on some textures lately, and creating monsters. Slowly but surely! An other great new, We've decided as a team to include 1 other hero in the alpha version. The Marksman, first range hero! In the following days me and Minimage will be working on creating a suiting model and texture for this incoming hero. In the meantime Me and KILLCIDE will brainstorm about its gameplay mechanics. :)

cratetent.jpg

Stay tune!

Last edited:
Alright people! So Killcide officially finished coding the Soldier's spells! :D round of applaud for him! as for me, I have to inform you the progress on the project will slow down a little! I can't work on my labtop anymore, waiting for a new fan, which means= I won't be abble to work on the map for a while. Killcide also starts working again very soon. So progress will be slowed down I'm afraid. But don't worry! we're still at it! putting our hearts and souls! cheers!

Simple update: the project is still going, we're just both busy + I still haven'T fixed my labtop. In the meantime though, I'll be focusing on brainstorming and description making etc. so basically anything that involves texts on an narrative standpoint= Items descriptions, events, etc.

Stay tune!

cant wait for more!

me too :S
Phew this looks fine, interested in some gameplay now.

Yeah, it takes a long time to have a gameplay video or an alpha map because:

Terrain must be done for it, creatures needs to be done too. Creatures and players needs to be balanced at least a little. Some items needs to be done too, because they are required for the gameplay. Then I need to plan out every other gameplay aspects that are involved in the map because some requires a unique surrounding since it,s a horror type of game. :S

So yeah, thanks for being patient.

*ahem* really nice =D

Thanks buddy! :D

Untitled-1.jpg XD
Those stairs are too epic!

Yeah ;D I'll make a texture for them eventually hehe.

This looks really cool, Goblin!

Doing something with a bit less color and fun than Goblin's Tale, are you?

Thanks mate! Yeah I am... don't know, maybe somedays Goblin's Tale will be a real thing, but I doubt it.... don't know

Level 28
Looking good!

But I do have some criticism =P Although I suppose you won't see much in game due to fog and limited line of sight, I disklike how some parts of the terrain end up having a messy and unclear look. I mean, sometimes there isn't a very clear colour or shape distinction between the unwalkable and walkable terrain (as opposed to nowaday's excessively clear MOBA terrain design - which I also dislike).

However I don't know how it will look in game. Waiting to see the other areas of the map!

Looking good!

But I do have some criticism =P Although I suppose you won't see much in game due to fog and limited line of sight, I disklike how some parts of the terrain end up having a messy and unclear look. I mean, sometimes there isn't a very clear colour or shape distinction between the unwalkable and walkable terrain (as opposed to nowaday's excessively clear MOBA terrain design - which I also dislike).

However I don't know how it will look in game. Waiting to see the other areas of the map!

You have a good point, I myself was wondering about that, but ingame, it's really not as bad... + it pushes forward the overall unerving fealing of claustrophobia present in the game. I could probably do some livestreaming in the future and sample it to show people how it looks like ingame. :)

-------

EDIT= After killcide asked me how much of the terrain is completed, I tought It was a good idea to show you guys.

I would say a little less then 1/4
terrainprogress.png

Last edited:
Yes these swamps do look messier than the town... which makes sense. But it is looking alright nonetheless =P

:D

BLOOP! New ingame screenshots, I realised I've made the ruins way to big, I'll have to edit them out.

Attachments

• Swamp_screenshot1.png
    Swamp_screenshot1.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 139
  • Swamp_screenshot2.png
    Swamp_screenshot2.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 154
  • Swamp_screenshot3.png
    Swamp_screenshot3.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 175
  • Village_newscreenshot1.png
    Village_newscreenshot1.png