• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Flickering Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
full

-=UDDATE=-
We've been quiet for a few weeks, as you all know. But recently Killcide poked his nose back into the codes (again). We are all very excited to have the Soldier complete and ready to be tested.
meanwhile, Minimage is almost done with the new Soldier model, he only has to do some final tweaking on the unwarp. Mr.Goblin we'll start the texture as soon as he gets the final model (HYPEEEE!!!)

In the meantime, the making of items has been started. Currently all healt potions are made, most of the Consumable for the First playable are also made... and some other items.

More tiny updates are coming your way. Stay tune!

unknown.png

don't mind the typo, it was fixed.

Last edited:
The development team would like to wish you:
HappyHalloween.png

May the scares be with you tonight.

For this special day: let me tease you the Prowler = a custom model made by the wonderfull Misha. Through hardwork: he and I brought my concept-art into warcraft3. :)

Level 36
Holy guacamole this thing is really looking amazing! ^^

I'm a bit sad it's an online game, unless that idea has changed, because then I won't be able to try it out. But at least I can enjoy the screenshots, and maybe an unprotected look at the map in the editor at some point? *angel eyes*

Would you maybe consider making a terrain preview thread over at the terrain board for this at some point? *devil's mind*

Level 14
I agree with Keiji, it would be awesome to see a story mode single player option. I used to have fast internet access, but we moved out into the country and have slow, slow satellite internet now and I can't play a lot of the games I used to..
That being said just getting anything out to the public is the first step.

BETA REFORGE UPDATE
screenshotgift-png.336674

reforge.png

Welp, just like many of you... many many things broke. Although there is hope! As soon as I have access to a program that will allow me to edit and mod the textures of warcraft3 models. Re texturing will be long and tedious, BUT! it's not impossible to salvage.(specially because I can do a lot of copy pasting from my previous work) Now, after my first viewing, we do have many issues saddly.

CUSTOM MODELS, TEXTURES AND UI

• All custom textures I did are broken... yes, tilesets, doodads and all units.
  • Custom Human UI imported well, including all the custom icons I did. Cheers!
  • Some custom models won't load. (Although, way way less then first expected, so We've got that going for us which is great)
  • After 30min of use, many times, all the custom models just breaks at the same time for no reasons.
    allbreaks.png
  • All imported models animations that works are stuck on broken looping animations. (So I guess we'll have to wait and see how it evolves.)
  • All our custom light sources don't work. Making it impossible to test our custom lighting ingame.
  • Custom music works proprely.
  • Our sweet and lovely torch model attachment does not work (sadly)
WARCRAFT3 TO WARCRAFT3 REFORGE CONVERSION.
  • Lots of scaling issues (updated doodads appear bigger or smaller then their original counterparts in the original, which hopefully will be fixed by blizzard through updated version).
    rescaleissue.gif

• Original shapes of models have been changed. so the terrain will have to be updated due to some original model fitting perfectly with it's surrounding, Now I have things such as chimney going through crates and other buildings. (screenshots incoming)
    burnedbuilding.png

• Some 3D models or ugly or haven't been made/converted by blizzard, so they do not load (nothing to worry about, they will surely work on that)
    remains.png
  • Cliff models from reforge breaks the terrain
    cliff.png
  • Water does not load (the terrain currently is on a marsh type of terrain, we see water everywhere.... so that's a bummer. - So I guess we'll have to wait and see how it evolves.)
  • Things under water won't appear ( as in, the models just appears cut in half.
    WaterOn_OFF.gif
  • it is very very laggy.
  • Loading screens are significantly different. Less info are showing in reforge
    loadingscreentest.gif
  • The camera we setted doesn't fit the current version - but it can be fixed.
  • 3D looping sounds coming from doodads and regions does not work.
  • 3D viewer in the WorldEditor (left side of the screen) doesn't work.
  • Shadows needs to be recalculated and are ... very very weak as in, definitly not opaque enough.
Stay tune for more updates! I'll have a conversation with Killcide. But I think the safer approach is to simply carry on in the original Warcraft3 until Blizzard does it's magic and tweaks and then we will reconsider making the leap. Also, I'll let the hive do it's magic and create us tools to mod textures of warcraft3.

----------------------------------
reforge2.png reforge3.png

Last edited:
Level 14
I've got a feeling that when it comes down to it, reforged will have to be for new projects. I just think adapting old projects will end up being more work than it is worth. We will have to see what Blizzard can do to address some of the issues, but I just have a feeling that is how it will end up.

Level 10
That's how I feel too.

But I'd say wait with working on it just yet. Wait for them for a full release. And another 6 months to fix the most obvious bugs..

But in general I am surprised with how it is porting from old to new. I had suspected worse

WARCRAFT 3 REGORGE (release) UPDATE

This is..... yeah... okay. Killcide and I had a long conversation about reforge's release and current state and what it ment about the futur of Flickering Light and here's our current conclusion. (Note: if things change drastically, we'll reconsider the future of Flickering Light)

1- We still really want to work on the project and we are still motivated to have it released.
2- Although, We won't work on the project in Warcraft3:Reforges current shitstorm fest and quality. We will be waiting on Blizzard's feedbacks and patch fixes etc. first and see how the community overall reacts to the improvement/changes before considering starting working on the project again.
3- Due to warcraft3 reforge's CURRENT MBA, we will rebrand the Currently Flickering light narrative and universe and simply scale the project down to a regular Medieval/fantasy setting. So sadly, no more cool Worldwar 1-2 technology with streetlights and wires and barbedwires etc. :/ we will be downscaling the unique visual look and feel of the project onto a very boring but serviceable (dare I say it) Darksoul-Esque easthetic insted. (the previous UI will be reimported) Due to that, many units concepts will be ditched, and many items ideas too. But on the upside, most were anyway just in the brainstorming phase and nothing has been produced for them beside icons.
4 - Mr.Goblin (aka Vincent Turcot) will be developing on the side the Original Flickering light visual universe he had in mind through concept-art. But that will just become personnal side project of his for now. insted of being intertwined with this mod project.

Level 5
it’s sad to read that but I think we were waiting for it anyway. Personally ill follow ur future art works :D love them all. Hope to read soon about this project in w3

Level 3
Here's a few thoughts:
Regarding point 3: Have you read BlinkBoy and Zwiebelchen's posts in the EULA thread? As far as I'm aware, Blizzard can't steal your intellectual property, they just have the right to continue distributing the map you uploaded, exactly the way you uploaded it. That's still not great, but it means they won't be able to market new maps/games of their own with your ideas, which is what I think you're concerned about. But I suppose it's not a bad idea to proceed with caution for now.
I've not bought Reforged so far, so I can't really comment on point 2.

In any case, I'm looking forward to whichever version of this project you decide to release in the end. Thank you for your work!

:D

Like I told you on discord: That's looking mighty fine!
Let me know if I can help you out in any way.
Thanks! and it<s noted! I'll ask @KILLCIDE if there's minor triggers you could do to help him speed things up!

Woop woop! The wait is long but it's worth it every update!

Side note: there's a discord?
No.... I mean... yes.... I mean, Maybe...? it's used as a tool for the team to communicate more then anything. Once the alpha will be release (which might or might not be soon ish) we'll give the link to the discord group.

We are still discovering hidden bugs from the reforge conversion everyday. Currently Killcide has to redo about 45% of all the codes he did from scratch.

I will update everyone every time we hit a milestone of develloppement.

Currently we arn't aiming to make it work for 1.30.4 because we are hopefull Reforge will get good..... somedays and perhaps even make a full visual conversation towards the Reforge graphics down the line. (But unless there's no dynamic lights and shadows added, we stick to classic)

Personnally, as soon as Reforge has working dynamic lights and shadows. I'll start working on a Visual conversation on the side.

Also, Killcide was using Sharpcraft to make his codes, but ever since Reforge, the conversion of triggers broke many things. Like I said 45%.

I'm also discovering visual missmatch, since reforge changed the pathways of a few models. Such as the grunt, the Lichking, the minimap, etc.

full

-=ANNOUNCEMENT=-

Awesome team working on an AWESOME project, Looking for a 3D modeler, Willing to do a heavy WoW model edits!

Time spent editing the model will be given back by myself. (aka, you give me 1 hour of your time, I'll give you 1hour of my time.... aka I'm pretty damn good at doing 2D stuff, need a new custom avatar? you've got it! need a new texture?! you've got it!)

It would be for this project!

this is my credentials Artstation Profile

Level 3
This is... absolutley amazing! Such details, style, everything looks awesome and perfect near each over. So much proffecionalism. Love it! Good luck with this projcet.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from Killcide and I.
This year has been way to scary already, so we are just going to wish you some well deserved sugar comma.
full

Oh... and We would also like to informe you that THE FIRST PLAYABLE Will be release - In december of 2020. Cheers! :D
-= Meanwhile Enjoy this concept-art made by Mr.Goblin =-

full

-=ANNOUNCEMENT=-

The release of the first playable has been postponed for a month or two. We hit a bump on the road. (real life issues) Do not worry though, we are still very passionnated about the project and the first playable is definitly coming sooner then later! Cheers!

Level 2
Several question:
is this able to be translated to other language within keeping the original map and the right of creator?
consisting the player in Asia need a specifical language localization to be able to play this map?
so can i DM you for more detail about it if its possible?

Several question:
is this able to be translated to other language within keeping the original map and the right of creator?
consisting the player in Asia need a specifical language localization to be able to play this map?
so can i DM you for more detail about it if its possible?
for now our focus is english.

down the line, once we reached our goals of 4 heroes and multiple monster types with items etc. then we'll make the map public to allow editing and expending and translations. :) cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.