• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Final Fantasy IX DEMO 0.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Released February 7 2009

This is the demo of our Final Fantasy IX campaign, a remake of Squaresoft's great RPG, Final Fantasy IX.

Thanks to Hero RPG for inspiring much of the gameplay of this campaign, as well as providing the basis for the battle system.

NOTE: A bug exists where 'waiting for host' may appear at the beginning of a map, preventing you from playing further. To ensure that this does not happen, wait at least two seconds before pressing a key when 'press any key to continue' comes up on the loading screens.

Please place this in the campaign folder in order to play.

Keywords:
Final Fantasy, RPG, Campaign, Role Playing Game, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy IX, 9, IX, Final, Fantasy, Turn Based
Contents

Final Fantasy IX DEMO 0.1 (Campaign)

Reviews
04:42, 30th Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 17
Interesting. You seem to have that part down very well, but...
Why no custom models? I was disappointed when I saw you had used regular models....

Level 1
Playing that music in the map menu of this campaign is a good idea but it will be much better if you can turn of the original warcraft music in this place. otherwise that music cannot be properly heard.

Place a loading screen of final fantasy XII instead of using the usual warcraft loading screen before the message for asking "do you want to know more..."--it was something like this. It would give a better look to the campaign.And i am not referring to the same loading screen as you used in the map selection place. you should use different loading screen for the further game also.

Lack of custom models spoils the gameplay. I had hoped to see some ffXII models but i was greatly disappointed.

In just the beginning there is a initial light in the map just for a second after which the player says "Sure is dark". Can you fix that little lightning in the starting? Otherwise i got an impression that he had switched off the lights. Also when i press the escape button the whole area is lightened up even before i light the candle. These little things spoil the interest a bit.

a single candle lights up the whole area? did that happen really in the original game?

The battle system isn't truly clear. i mean that while pressing the right button i do not know who i am giving the order to. i know that the person with full battle guage will be the attacker but if i let everyone's battle gauge go to full then how do i know inside the battle who is going to attack?

Place Baku at a better place while he is telling the story in their meeting. I can't see him. Improved camera angle in the cinematics will help your map a lot.

inside the cinematics the person goes on moving mouth compared to the length of their dialogues. even if the cinematic will proceed only when i press escape but making them stop their mouths, if you can, after they have moved them enough compared to the length of their dialogues will create a better impression.

blank says"i can't stand oglops........"-- what/who is oglops?

The music was good. Was that the original game's?

Too short to be a campaign. You uploaded it too soon.

Your map is fair. Nothing much to say about the job done over it until the map is updated. Hope you do it soon enough.

Level 2
Playing that music in the map menu of this campaign is a good idea but it will be much better if you can turn of the original warcraft music in this place. otherwise that music cannot be properly heard.
it doesn't matters

In just the beginning there is a initial light in the map just for a second after which the player says "Sure is dark". Can you fix that little lightning in the starting? Otherwise i got an impression that he had switched off the lights.
go youtube and see the whole intro.

Also when i press the escape button the whole area is lightened up even before i light the candle. These little things spoil the interest a bit.
As this is single player game, appearance of dialog will reveal the current screen, i don't think this can be fixed

a single candle lights up the whole area? did that happen really in the original game?
Yes, it DID happen in the original game

The battle system isn't truly clear. i mean that while pressing the right button i do not know who i am giving the order to. i know that the person with full battle guage will be the attacker but if i let everyone's battle gauge go to full then how do i know inside the battle who is going to attack?
this is only demo version, means it will be improved in the future. On the multiboard, you can see the default icon (a blue eye), means it will be replaced by some picture soon

go play tht game and you will know what it is, it is an annoying bug(Insect).
P/s: there is an oglop on the room that they have entered, which is a tiny frog xD

Yes, it is the original game's BGM. You can download the whole Final Fantasy OST around the google or somewhere else. Nobuo Umatsu rocks !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Tiranasta,
i know this is only beta version, but let me tell u something xD

There are problems in the Battle System :
1)HP minimum is 0, there are no negative values.
2)Enemy will still target the KO'ed ally. Thus, when they target the KO'ed ally, he will stopped there doing nothing and awaiting his death. Wait, there's more, damage that dealt to KO'ed ally is 999,999.

Suggestions:
When Ally's HP < 20%, set the HP word to red color;
When 20% < Ally's HP < 50%, set the HP word to orange color;
1)When Ally's 50% < HP < 100%, set the HP word to green color

Ur game Rox!! It reminds me when i m a child ^^

Level 5
First off, Zelda.Alex, I would like to begin by thanking you for all the feedback. Now, to address your points.

The in game campaign description does advise turning off the Warcraft III music before playing. The game music will still play, you needn't worry.

Place a loading screen of final fantasy XII instead of using the usual warcraft loading screen before the message for asking "do you want to know more..."--it was something like this. It would give a better look to the campaign.And i am not referring to the same loading screen as you used in the map selection place. you should use different loading screen for the further game also.

We will be getting two new campaign screens (one for use as the main campaign screen, and the other for loading) for next version. I will ensure that the map that you have mentioned recieves the same loading screen as the other maps in the campaign.

Lack of custom models spoils the gameplay. I had hoped to see some ffXII models but i was greatly disappointed.

I agree with you entirely, but we have no modeller.

In just the beginning there is a initial light in the map just for a second after which the player says "Sure is dark". Can you fix that little lightning in the starting? Otherwise i got an impression that he had switched off the lights. Also when i press the escape button the whole area is lightened up even before i light the candle. These little things spoil the interest a bit.

I will ensure that the map is darkened from the beginning, but there's nothing I can do about the area becoming lit when the dialog comes up, it's an engine limitation. Soon, I shall be introducing a new 'dialog choice' system that doesn't use dialog boxes, so the problem should then be fixed.

Well, I believe it was a circle of candles in the actual game.

In addition to numerous other improvements to the battle system (which is at this stage very much incomplete), we plan to have the name of the unit that the player is currently commanding flash while the battle menu is open.

Place Baku at a better place while he is telling the story in their meeting. I can't see him. Improved camera angle in the cinematics will help your map a lot.

This I can do.

inside the cinematics the person goes on moving mouth compared to the length of their dialogues. even if the cinematic will proceed only when i press escape but making them stop their mouths, if you can, after they have moved them enough compared to the length of their dialogues will create a better impression.

Sorry, but there's nothing I can do about this. I can't stop the mouth moving without having the text vanish.

Oglops are small, insect-like creatures in Final Fantasy IX. They are generally agreed to be disgusting. I shall endeavor to make it more obvious as to what exactly Blank is referring to.

Yes.

Too short to be a campaign. You uploaded it too soon.

Your map is fair. Nothing much to say about the job done over it until the map is updated. Hope you do it soon enough.

The following major changes are planned for the next version:

1. Numerous improvements to the battle system.

2. Introduction of the menu system (similar to the one in Hero RPG, but with a new dialog system built in).

3. Addition of the city of Alexandria, which should hugely increase the length of the campaign.

We hope very much that you shall find that the next version addresses the majority of your concerns.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 1
"The in game campaign description does advise turning off the Warcraft III music before playing. The game music will still play, you needn't worry."
You mean that i just turn off the music from the escape menu?

Are the conversations you are using are exactly the same as the original game? Or you are changing a bit?

"Well, I believe it was a circle of candles in the actual game."
Then you should consider placing a circle of candles. To be frank it appeared weird that the flame the person was carrying did not light the room but a candle could. A suggestion here. If you do place a circle of candles then if you place a trigger by which the candles light one after the other then it may look nice.

Any chance that i can get an update's precise date? I want to see the changes and the story as soon as i can because i like ff games but i did not play this one.

Level 17
"The in game campaign description does advise turning off the Warcraft III music before playing. The game music will still play, you needn't worry."
You mean that i just turn off the music from the escape menu?

I think he means from the main menu, because music plays when you enter the campaign screen if I remember correctly.

Level 12
I never did have the chance to play FF IX, but I do know a little of Zidane, being the main character more or less...

I like what I see, and I'd love to see more. :D

4/5 from me simply because of the aforementioned candle issue.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the updates =)

Level 1
To Fishyyy
To my post on Final Fantasy IX DEMO 0.1 you had given a reply.
1....."OST"---what does that mean?
2....."it doesn't matters"----it does matter as it ruined fun of hearing the music.

To TiraNasta
1.....on the campaign screen it is written "By Shadowz123". is he the creator of this campaign on ShadowNasta Productions?
2.....On the first screen i go to after i press Start A New Game first a message appears for which i have to press Escape. After that it is written
Type 'Yes' to watch it----watch what? not written anywhere.
3......The message that comes after i type Yes is too short. Instead there you should have written a bit of storyline like this i found on "http://www.ffonline.com/ff9/":

"Dark times have spread over the world of Gaia. Four separate governing nations, some blinded by their short-sighted greed, some persevering in the name of justice, are battling on and off in a deadly game for power. One kingdom, that of Lindblum, headed by the honorable and trustworthy Regent Cid, finally decides to take a stand against the unspeakable massacres by the troops of Alexandria.

Enlisting the aid of mere bandits to kidnap Princess Garnet of the Alexandria Empire, for information and interrogation, Garnet and her bodyguard actually join Cid's cause, knowing full well the outlandish recklessness of the governing Queen, who counterattacks with an onslaught of warriors. Thus begins a crossfire that would engulf the world in something far worse than political standoffs.

Out of the band of thieves, one boy along with his entourage must battle his way through several awe-inspiring challenges to restore order and peace."

this kind of thing should precede this campaign. It makes it somewhat more interesting. If you have a good cinematic maker then you should consider making a cinematic in the campaign screen that the players can watch before starting this campaign. That would be much more appropriate.

4.....Fishyyy got a point regarding the candle. I saw the intro on youtube and found that it indeed was a single candle although it DOES look like a group of candles. The message that appeared was "light the candle in the middle of the table".
5.....Hoping that we will get the next version soon.

Last edited:
Level 12
To Fishyyy
To my post on Final Fantasy IX DEMO 0.1 you had given a reply.
1....."OST"---what does that mean?

OST means Original Soundtrack So if it's on the "OST" than its on the original game, or a Soundtrack that was released like "The Music of <Name of game here>" That would be the OST.

4.....Fishyyy got a point regarding the candle. I saw the intro on youtube and found that it indeed was a single candle although it DOES look like a group of candles. The message that appeared was "light the candle in the middle of the table".

Oh...really? Now I feel bad for taking a point off because of that candle! I revise my prior review to 5/5 then! D:

Level 1
Vizel if you giving a rating then please do that over the right place i.e. on the preview on top of this screen. there you just hover and click. Writing ratings in post isn't incorrect but placing it in its right place is better. You can also change it whenever you feel like it.

Level 4
lol idk if this has been mentioned but u shud make the battles on wait mode, for instance when the loading bar hits on one of ur guy, he is selected, and can take his time to use his skills and moves

Level 17
That is not how FFIX worked if I remember correctly. It used an ATB (Active Time Battle) system. But I think if you looked at items or anything it would pause the battle, can't remember.

Level 5
We have decided that, given the magnitude of this project, it shall instead be made using the StarCraft II map editor, and is as such on hold until StarCraft II's release.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Last edited:
Level 4
Even without custom models its great. im working on an ATB system myself,

Does your battle system que the commands firing them one after another as they wer selected?

atm i use a 'wait' system wich jus dosnt feel as good as it culd be.

Can u make a version of your demo map just with your battle system triggers? i want to compare with my system and improve.

Level 5
Even without custom models its great. im working on an ATB system myself,
Does your battle system que the commands firing them one after another as they wer selected?
atm i use a 'wait' system wich jus dosnt feel as good as it culd be.
Can u make a version of your demo map just with your battle system triggers? i want to compare with my system and improve.
How is your battle system going?
You can check out my map too (link in my signature). It has a battle system as well and my map is not protected or anything. Hope it helps with your system!

And guys this map is awsome. Best of luck with starcraft.
I too have been dreaming of making an ATB battle map for starcraft! :D

Level 6
Weee!!! Very Nostalgic!!! Almost very accurate. I smiled when I saw Zidane holding the "light"(I think using a torch is not very good, maybe using something smaller will be better)

WEEE!!! Very good!

4/5!!! and add reputation!!!