• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Favorite Star Wars Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Well I thought it was pretty obvious as well. I mean.. if you can't make that connection.. you're pretty dumb.

Level 14
I think there is a limit to be drawn about how much you should delve into an imaginary universe.

And I think there's a limit to how to be drawn about how much one should delve into crazy political ideas that will never come to fruition :p

Meh, i've never been that interested in the Star Wars universe. Sure the movies are good and all, but i'm more of a fantasy-guy than a Sci-fi guy. (this doesn't mean i like Lord of the rings)

To be fair, LotR is my thing. I just recently got into Star Wars. (recently being the past 2-3 years)

Level 11
Yeah I read that somewhere. I never noticed it in-game, and I'm too lazy to actually check, but that's insane.

How long did they plan that series? :p

And yeah I agree about the movies. I heard rumor Lucas was going to make 3 more, but it was just that: rumor.

I saw it! It is when you speak to him, and tells you war stories that he tells about an asteroid that acts strangely, and then goes out into the "vast void" beyond the edge of the galaxy.

Level 36
Well until know I only cared about movies.But know I want wind out new stuff and by the look of things I doubt that any one apart from Lucas knows everything about Star wars universe.
But I also like fantasy.Mainly Wheel of Time.

Actually Lucas doesn't know anything beyond the stuff he created, really. There's one man who's job it is to preserve the canon (there are archives that he runs), so it's his job to know everything published about star wars and to figure out what will happen down the road.

Yes, they already know what will happen.

Level 36
Well he does, but it's the authors inventing all the little details, not him. He wrote the screenplays for the six movies, so he invented all the little droids and background things there. But for the books and such, they run it passed him for the canon changes, actually this canon guy (they interviewed him in Wired magazine a few months back, fascinating stuff) works with Lucas and all his people to figure out where he wants things to go.

The death of his characters is up to him. Chewbacca dying, that was him. Characters like Mara Jade, and Jacen Solo dying, and (God forbid) maybe Kyle Katarn down the road, that's up to the canon people and the individual authors.

For example, Timothy Zahn singularly created Grand Admiral Thrawn and destroyed him. Kevin J. Anderson created Admiral Dalaa, killed her, and then had her come back a few times before passing the reigns on to the new authors of the Legacy of the Force series to bring her back.... AGAIN.

<3 Dalaa. She's a survivor.

What I love is how the EU canon all ties together. For example, Kyle Katarn is a central figure in many videogames, but he also appears in the books too. Even Jaden Korr, your character in Jedi Academy, gets a shout out in one of the Legacy of the Force books. Really loved that.

It's all good stuff, except the new clone wars movie >.>

Level 14
<3 Daala

I even remotely liked Thrawn.

In some cases I like the books better than the movies.

I was upset when they killed Chewbacca off.. not so much Mara Jade.

Level 36
I loved Thrawn. Especially in his newer books. Did you read Outbound Flight?

Thrawn is the fucking sex in that novel. He'd be great to have on your side, he's a tactical genius and it's actually a joy to read about him. Now, if only he didn't support the empire.

That's why I love Outward Bound. Besides mad old Jorus, who makes another appearance <3, Thrawn is still under Chiss command and is actually acting as a good guy, with C'boath being the main antagonist of the novel.

I fucking loved Mara Jade. Best female character in the whole series. So empowering and badass. I played Mysteries of the Sith. She rocked. I was sad to see both of them go.

Anakin too. I didn't want to see Anakin die but I knew it was coming. With Chewbacca and Mara Jade it was just such a shock.

I love the books a lot better than the movies, all the stuff that piques my interest in the movies gets delved out in the books. Jedi Academy is my favourite Star Wars series of all time, so of course I was thrilled when it was revisted in I,Jedi from the perspective of another character, and then again with the games from Kyle and Jaden's perspectives too.

Level 14
I haven't read Outbound Flight, I'm guessing it's good :p

I'm still working on reading a lot of the Star Wars books. Stupid school, taking up too much of my time.

Anakin had to die. It's sad and seems terrible, but he had to die. Just for the progression of the story, he had to.

EDIT: And yeah, the books give great perspectives. I like the video games, and how they tie into the canon. Kyle Katarn ftw.

Level 36
Outbound Flight is total win, because it draws the Thrawn trilogy together with the Thrawn Duology and then with the pre-Prequel status of Outbound Flight. So it seems to kinda birdge the gap between some of the original books taking place after RotJ with all the new material for before the original trilogy.

It's pretty cool.

Level 14
Outbound Flight is total win, because it draws the Thrawn trilogy together with the Thrawn Duology and then with the pre-Prequel status of Outbound Flight. So it seems to kinda birdge the gap between some of the original books taking place after RotJ with all the new material for before the original trilogy.

It's pretty cool.

Hmm I'll definitely check it out then.

I was wondering how Force Unleashed is.. I haven't got the chance to try it yet.

And I do believe we've gotten completely off-topic >.>

Level 36
It doesn't matter.

TFU is boring. I mean really boring. It's hack and slash nonsense, and the physics get annoying rather fast. Trying to toss things using an analog joystick, good luck.

You only have like 3 powers. Choke, levitate, lightning. And one slashing saber move. That's it. 4 attacks. That's all the game is.

No thanks. Definitely isn't hearkening back to the Jk2/JKA days of old.

Level 14
Wow, 4 attacks is pretty abysmal.

Hmm, well, I suppose all their games can't be ground breaking.

EDIT: Looking at the developers again, I can see why if they didn't do well.

Level 15
Brad said:
Arvedui, did you know that apparently the Vong had been spotted as far back as the Kotor days? Apparently Canderous saw one of their ships or something and he tells you about it in one of the games.
In KotoR II it's speculated that Revan left the known universe to search for them and destroy them. Not this "true sith" nonsense.

Level 36
False, because the Sith Empire Revan was hunting is the subject for SWTOR.

A true Sith Empire (As in a self-contained Sith Empire of the actual Sith Race, none of this Dark Jedi breeding with Sith to make Sith Empire crap) would have been cool too.

That would neat if it was the Vong though to tie everything together.

Level 14
Eh I never liked the idea of the Sith being a race, it was stupid. Just like the Taungs, their ideas outlived themselves.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to see it, but they weren't really all that important to the canon, other than their "religion" and ideas.

Level 11
Dude, I didn't know brad was such a guru with the whole Star Wars thing :p. I mean, I've always liked it (but who doesn't, aalmost anyone can say the same thing, I guess), but you're truly a fan [: Anywho, what do you think about Qui Gonn, brad is he cool in your opinion or not [:

Level 36
That's arguable. He was unable to defeat Sidious, and the Jedi have traditionally been stronger than the Sith, which is why they win and the Sith don't, so is Yoda really the strongest?

There's no doubt he's stronger than Qui Gon, but he was a formidable master too. In terms of force, Kyp Durron or Jacen Solo could give him a run for his money, and Anakin/Jaina/Luke could all give him a challenge in lightsaber combat.

Level 14
Yoda's power was also his knowledge of the Force.

His actual Force skills and lightsaber skills were "prodigious" but his actual knowledge dwarfed them.

Which is why he was the teacher of the younglings.

EDIT: 1300 posts :D

Level 14
He couldn't dream of doing things (i.e. flow walking) because he wasn't taught in the Dark Side.

Flow walking is an inherently Sith idea. It's selfish to want to know the future and selfish to want to go back to the past.

Level 15
I'm not sure if this is right, but I read somewhere that Qui Gonn re-discovered the "Force Spirit" skill. Then he taught it to Yoda and Obi-Wan during their exile (or so it said after RotS).

So like, I think it would take a pretty badass jedi to find that ability out on his own.

Level 36
Yes, that was in the Revenge of the Sith novelization.

Check it out, actually, it provides some interesting insights. For example, besides the fact Fuego just mentioned, which is entirely true, the book talks about why Yoda lost the fight.

The Jedi had grown complacent. They were sure that the Sith were completely extinct, while meanwhile, for 2 millenia the Sith have been practicing for that moment when they'd bring the Jedi down. 2 millenia of strategy versus even the best of the Jedi is stacked odds.

But yeah, Qui Gon learned to transcend to immortality in the Force. He taught this skill to Obi-Wan and Yoda, which is why they can appear after their respective deaths. Qui Gon doesn't show up with them in the OT purely because he didn't exist yet.

In fact, it was Yoda who was supposed to be Obi-Wan's master, but that didn't quite work out right once GL started working out the screenplay for Phantom Menace.

Level 14
Hmm I was wondering how Anakin learned how to make a force ghost >.>

He comes back at the end of RotJ. But Obi-Wan didn't know the technique till after he beat Anakin at Mustafar.

Level 36
I don't think so. There have been many of ridiculously powerful Jedi before the movies, and the canonical (and logical) explanation is that Qui Gon was the first to learn how to live through the Force.

That's how Obi-Wan (No great shakes with the force, at his own admittance), can justifiably come back.

Level 36
Ah, my mistake. I think, in redeeming himself, he did return to manifest. I think it's partly a plot hole too, because as of the OT, as far as we know, all Jedi come back as ghosts. And now that they explained it, Anakin coming back really doesn't make sense.

As for Boba, you're confusing him with Jango, who got his head cut off. Boba Fett is still alive and kicking, he outlasted the Jedi, the Sith, and the New Republic.

Level 15
Yeah, in an interview George Lucas talked about how awesome he thought Boba and Jango Fett were. He thought they would become the most popular characters (dang who would've guessed?). They even did a scene in RotJ with him escaping the Sarlaac pit, but they cut it.

That's why Lucas pushed the whole storyline with him escaping. He's such a dynamic character.

Status
Not open for further replies.