• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarf Crossbowman (variations)

"Watch yer back!"

Technical info:
  • Contains a distinctive portrait.
  • Contains only in-game textures.
  • The size of the models is optimized.
UPDATE 11.12.22: see here.

Author's notes:

Special thanks to @UjimasaHojo for the Rifleman model.
Feel free to use/edit the model but give credits!

Keywords:
Alliance, Crossbow, Crossbowman, Dwarf, Dwarven, Hunter, Marksman
Previews
Contents

DwarfCrossbowman1.mdx (Model)

DwarfCrossbowman2.mdx (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A very nice and highly optimized model adaptation from the rifleman. Nice variations and use of textures all around. Great job!
Hey, SD model lovers! This has been my WIP for quite some time and finally I decided to upload it. The unit has modified and improved animations, a fresh portrait with a reworked geoset and additional optimization. The model can be used as a Dwarf Hunter or another alternative for crossbow units. Enjoy!

Some comparison:
RiflemanPortrait.gif
CrossbowmanPortrait.gif

Here I also made the portrait blink, adjusted the mimics and changed the camera angle.

The first crossbow consists of the original rifle and Gryphon Aviary in order to better match the Alliance style. The second crossbow is made of a Ballista and the body of the model has quite rarily used Mortar Team texture in order to gain additional uniquness.

Last edited:
Glad you like it! 😌

Great! I recognize crossbow from your Hoodwink model. Could you add spell throw animation from it though? Also gloves geoset is showing during decay bone anim (2nd version), you might want to fix it.
Thank you for noticing the thing with the gloves, it is fixed now 👍 I forgot that these are Medivh gloves, not from the Mortar Team, and they can't stay in one Geoset 🙂
Right, I took the crossbow from Hoodwink as I found it quite good-looking 😏 But I didn't decide to add a special effect to the 'Spell' sequence, here I tried to follow the SD theme and let people choose their own spell effects in the Object Editor. But I can always change my mind!

Level 15
Wow! You sure gave that ol' Rifleman's face a new appearance (and also given him a crossbow)... and he looks perfect. Really impressive!

I wonder how he'd look if different dwarven textures were used... y'know, from the Mortar Team (the white-bearded one), the Gyrocopter/Flying Machine, and the Mountain King.

A pint for a job well done! 🍺😁

Very cool
This looks awesome! Great job!
Thank you! 💛
This should go into directors cut IMO
YYYEES!
I've searched for a model like this for a while and it's amazing how few options there are for a Dwarf Crossbowman, not to mention how disappointing the previously existing options have been. This is absolutely perfect for what I could want in that role <3
Holy crap, man, awesome!
Ever since I found the Hive I thought the lack of a Dwarf Crossbowman was weird.
Finally someone made one and it's amazing!
Sadly I already made one for myself. I'm still going to steal your portrait tho'
Glad you like it, guys! Now I think I should go for Human archer and crossbowman 🤔 Things I found here lacked Blizz style animations or looked like an armored Footman with a bow.
Heck yeah new Villagerino just dropped
You want more? YOU WANT MORE?!
This gives me Bugman's Rangers vibes, Great Job!
At last, a Dwarf Ranger from Warhammer.
Thanks! Never knew Warhammer had such units, I only asked knowledgeable Kyrbi0 if there were Dwarf Hunters with crossbows 🙂
Wow! You sure gave that ol' Rifleman's face a new appearance (and also given him a crossbow)... and he looks perfect. Really impressive!

I wonder how he'd look if different dwarven textures were used... y'know, from the Mortar Team (the white-bearded one), the Gyrocopter/Flying Machine, and the Mountain King.

A pint for a job well done! 🍺😁
Thank you, man! 🍻 I will surely use Gyro and some other Dwarven textures for other Dwarves, no worries. I will also experiment with the faces more till I get a degree at interracial surgery for the sake of the SD diversity, right now I have a Human Swordmaster where I transformed the orcish face of the Blademaster into a human 🙂

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I will also experiment with the faces more till I get a degree at interracial surgery for the sake of the SD diversity, right now I have a Human Swordmaster where I transformed the orcish face of the Blademaster into a human 🙂
So honestly this is the most exciting thing about this pack to me, this time around. At a base-level it's a lot less "obviously impressive" compared to the Wight or even the Skeleton Pack (and that's perfectly OK of course; some things are more meant to be useful than impressive, and little could compare to the Wight ;P). However having different faces available is such an important-yet-difficult thing to pull off well, it can really make the difference.

I think my only critique for this model, then, is the relative similarity between this the stock Dwarven Rifleman. It's a matter of silhouette/in-game-perspective view, the cloak & shape & all; I think it would be difficult to use these & the stock Rifleman in the same game due to how similar they look. Still, that's a small contention, and the Rifleman's form does fit the profile of a Crossbowdwarf really well, so it makes sense why you would reuse.

Great model as always sir 👌. Any other colored beard variants for other dwarven race in the future? 🤔.
Thank you, man! Of course, there will be other colored beard options for other Dwarven units 👍

I think my only critique for this model, then, is the relative similarity between this the stock Dwarven Rifleman. It's a matter of silhouette/in-game-perspective view, the cloak & shape & all; I think it would be difficult to use these & the stock Rifleman in the same game due to how similar they look.
I agree with everything here, sir. My efforts were limited to the purpose of this model just to squeeze into my map. Maybe someday I will make a more unique and "self-sufficient" Dwarf Crossbowman, I already want, because I like reviewing my bundles and coming back to them again after some time with new ideas and modeling experience 🙂
However having different faces available is such an important-yet-difficult thing to pull off well, it can really make the difference.
I'm very glad to hear that!

By the way, this one can serve as the 1st tier of Dwarf shooters before the rifles upgrade 😀

I love the orange beard variant and couple crossbow variants.

One could even argue this is a good choice for a wildhammer ranged unit.
💛
Thank you for this model <3
But i have one question though, how to get rid of the rifle sound when it is attacking? im still noob in modding sry ya :D
Glad you like it! And thank you for noticing the sound, the hot fix will arrive as soon as possible 👌