• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dreamscape - Original Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

*NOTE: This post will be under construction until the alpha is complete.

The Team:

Yayoi - Project lead'n'that until the beta is finished (Then i'll ask the rest for help)
Narrator
dead-man-walking
takakenji
marine99
arthas_king
Luffy

Placeholder:

Please pay no attention to this section, the main post is still under construction.

Idea & Storyline:

There is no main "Idea" for this campaign because most of it will be created on spontaneous ideas, the reason for this is because I want this campaign to be filled with random and mysterious things.

Reason for making this?

Well my reason for making Dreamscape is quite simple, I have played many different maps, campaigns, and cinematic's but most of them always wound down to the same re-occurring themes; The Middle Ages, and Space (Yes I know there are more than these two, but they are the most overused ones.)
Dreamscape will conform to the "Middle-age's" look, but only for certain part's in the storyline.

What I, to simply put it, want to do is to make a campaign that isn't focused on one or two themes.
Dreamscape will be a collaboration of everything, yeah I said everything, this includes killer bunny rabbits with lazer eyes that fart lightning bolts (probably wont happen though xP.)

Screen Shots:

All screenshot's in the hidden tag's below are of the early alpha terrain, nothing has or will be finalized for quite some time.
I realize that they do not look very "Dream-like" but the story doesn't start out that way. The story will be very long, and filled with question's, but in the end you will understand.

Character's:

The character's names and their role in the story are not ready to be released at this time.

Features:

-An expansive world to explore
-Many hours of game play
-Puzzles and games to play with your mind
-Amusing scenes
-Unique gameplay, storyline, and concept

-An ever-evolving, ever-changing world and storyline
-Things that will just make you say "WTF" and then make you start playing again to find out "WTF" is goin on>?
-More cool and exciting things that you probably won't ever read!

Suggestion's from the Hive:

Narrator
Not as weird as mine... i was walking trough a dark wasteland, and saw three cages... in the first that looked like a library skeleton was reading newspaper, in the second that looked like a common cage a skeleton was lying on the ground with a knife in the head, and third one had enormous steel doors, labeled "MK". I opened them and saw giant green hand. Then I woke up. DAMN STRANGE. If you want, you can use this dream in your map.

However, good luck with this project. Idea is original... it's your dream after all ;-)

I dreamt a new one: A dark cave with glowing line trough it. If you follow the line, you reach a completely white place with a black dot in the middle. if you touch the dot... dream ended there.
Luffy
you can add an odd forest/town paradise region in the underground level (4th chapter). this should be very random, lol. Or descending sunshine's/moonshines.

First main screenshot is sexy.
arthas_king
Here's a dream :D

You are walking in a strange forest when suddenly you hear a noise, you look behind you and you see a bush walking, then you go investigate it and then a huge tree charges at you, you realize that the tree was corrupted bu demons and then the whole forest becomes alive and chases you, you run and try to get out of there, suddenly the exit is blocked with trees and a blade with fire suddenly appears at your hands, you try to cut the thorns closing the exit and then you are free, but before you leave, a massage tree with demonic spiders jumps at you(earthquake sound :D) and you have to defeat it, when you weaken it and then you are charging to do the final blow, everything dissapears and you are walking at a blank place, full of darkness, then a demon appears walking at you roaring and screaming(End of Dream :eek:)Damn that was scary :p maybe there's an idea for a dream to add, no need for perfect terrain. :p

Dreamscape Campaign 01
Terrain:

Doodads:

Units:

Spells:

Triggers:

Overall:

:eekani:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Update #1 06/22/10

- I've added new models for some unit's and effects such as the lightning & the spirit.
- I'm currently working on a new cinematic and an entire new area that is designed for a slightly challenging event
- I'm also optimizing some triggers, going over old triggers, and just fixing stuff up
- Most of the map has been re-terrained

Note's:

I've decided to use the entire 254x254 map for the above ground area's. The previously planned underground zones might just end up becoming an entirely new chapter. Don't worry I'm not going-to be making the same lame mistakes that I was making with the first campaign.

Update #2 06/24/10

- Finished terraining and doodading the new sea area
- Half-way done the concept for the first "boss" monster
- Changed the entire storyline that comes after the "boss" monster
- Did some small touch-ups on the terrain
- Balanced the gameplay a bit more
- Mostly finished and added the maze type puzzle area
- Fixed a few cinematic camera and trigger issues on the 2nd cinematic
- Fixed a lot of trigger bug's from the new sea area =/

Note's:

~No notes for this update.

Level 6
Still haven´t played the new version,
but I think I´ll check on that tomorrow.
Btw I´m happy to see the project developing :xxd:

Level 2
i must say, i really love the concept of a dream :eek: its quite nice compared to much of what i've always seen in the warcraft community. And this thread is quite nice as well, the storyline, headings, placement, ect.
All of it quite nice.

However... i really think you should work on the terrain :/ its somewhat bugging me. Dreams, in my opinion, are very mystical, and not very well understood. so, possibly by making the player wonder what is around a corner, or down a hill, might help. But, as of now... it kinda just seems like random doodads that you put around randomly in the map D: not really having any .... "atmosphere"? :/ if you get what i mean...

but again, other than that i really love it ^^
so i hope all goes well, and good luck on your project ^^
oh, and the signiture pic is really good too :]

edit: oh, and on a sidenote: you spelled chocolate wrong xD

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Dreamscape will be (eventually) heavily edited so it has the theme of being an on-going story (Google "The Never-Ending Story" for a refrence).
This is why I will be releasing packet's of three (3) maps which will be called, for example "Dreamscape - Book 1, insertfancywordshere". This also helps me to keep working on the campaign because if I go ahead and make a bunch of maps without any idea of when I'm stopping I will totally get bored and just give up on working on the campaign/maps.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Update~

I've been away for a few days but I'm finally back and I have a dual monitor screen now ^.^ A new version of the second map will be released when I'm near 50% completion of the map.

Map:

-Finished the ghost cinematic
-Finished the retarded tele triggers for the sea area
-Finished a little bit of the first boss fight

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Been 2 days

Update~

Been working on the map quite a bit today and finished up some loose ends.

Forum Updates:
- Updated the main post with 3 new pic's for map 02 (they arn't the best =/), and I changed the character section.
- Got some news that Narrator will be back around September
- 0.o people rlly don't get on much anymore, I don't think I'm even allowed to triple/almost quadruple post...

Map02 Updates:
- Well the new doodad's are being a real bi**h to import so I'll leave them for awile.
- I'm planning to re-terrain map01 a little bit
- I've re-done all of the puzzle triggers for the sea area, trust me you're gonna need a pen and paper to get through them lol... unless you very very lucky!
- Scrapped the entire set of triggers that I made for the boss and re-did them, I'm currently 50% finished with only 1 attack and 1 possibly large cinematic to trigger.
- Tested out some new terraining skills that I learned, they seemed to make the map a little bit more "Dream-Like". They mainly consist of waterfalls and floating rocks.. but I like them a lot.

Campaign Updates:
- The BETA version of the campaign (yes I said BETA, what is done now will be vastly improved upon) is making progress, but slowly. It will be completed no matter what though!

Note to anyone/everyone still following this project:

The reason that I haven't been making much progress on the map/campaign is because I'm running out of good use-able ideas for the map/storyline. If you get any random idea, though, dream, etc... just post it here. I'm already starting to draw-up-blanks when I'm trying to thing of things to put in the map.

Additional notes for the followers:

I need someone willing to go back and re-terrain map01 to give it more of a different-world city/temple/woods type theme, if anyone is willing to do this I will supply you with the individual map file and some guidelines on what should be done.

~Yayoi

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I've dreamed that SC2 went for PS3 so i went to buy it instead of SC2 for PC, and it was fail so i was angry at my dream. :p

xP, probably wont happen =( Blizz gave up on console games after SC:Ghost was being made.:thumbs_down:
Anyways I need some Ideas to go with the following:

Giant Turtle that spits fireballs.
Storyline revolving around the portals.
Why the 4 mage guys were casting a spell or sum-thing.

I also need an opinion on this:

Should there be an underground map to go with the one that is currently being made, or would you rather just go on to the next place/world/map/land/etc...

Edit:
I've re-done some little missing things in map01, it looks a bit more Dream-ish now.

Level 6
Giant Turtle that spits fireballs
Storyline revolving around the portals.
Why the 4 mage guys were casting a spell or sum-thing.

I also need an opinion on this:

Should there be an underground map to go with the one that is currently being made, or would you rather just go on to the next place/world/map/land/etc...

Regarding the turtle good idea and quite simple to realize, about the storyline I have something in mind: the real world and the dream world seem to exist simultanously, what if the two worlds start to merge simply by opening portals? And maybe thats what the mages tried to do.
I would not make another underground part, rather make the next place or isn´t it better to say "realm".

I´ve played the newest version and was very pleased so far. But there are some things I didn´t like (besides reworking the Yayoi model(I know I mentioned that before)):
- it was kind of irritating that the mushrooms growing on stone (but guess in a dream world its quite possible)
- the characters movement is really slow (a bit faster not much)
- the terrain is getting better and better, but still missing some dream-atmosphere

Suggestions:
- own characterbutons
- own ingame music would be fine (but mapsize...)
- some suprising effects, like eerie lights and uncanny spirits
- maybe some dreamcritters, like the Nightelf-Fairie-Dragon etc.

Thing I really liked:
- nice camera cuts
- real good storytelling
- creative idea
- atmosphere

I think that was all, hopefully I could help you.
Can´t wait to see whats coming next....

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Regarding the turtle good idea and quite simple to realize, about the storyline I have something in mind: the real world and the dream world seem to exist simultanously, what if the two worlds start to merge simply by opening portals? And maybe thats what the mages tried to do.
I would not make another underground part, rather make the next place or isn´t it better to say "realm".

I´ve played the newest version and was very pleased so far. But there are some things I didn´t like (besides reworking the Yayoi model(I know I mentioned that before)):
- it was kind of irritating that the mushrooms growing on stone (but guess in a dream world its quite possible)
- the characters movement is really slow (a bit faster not much)
- the terrain is getting better and better, but still missing some dream-atmosphere

Suggestions:
- own characterbutons
- own ingame music would be fine (but mapsize...)
- some suprising effects, like eerie lights and uncanny spirits
- maybe some dreamcritters, like the Nightelf-Fairie-Dragon etc.

Thing I really liked:
- nice camera cuts
- real good storytelling
- creative idea
- atmosphere

I think that was all, hopefully I could help you.
Can´t wait to see whats coming next....

- DW about the mushrooms I'm planning on using them for part of the story.
- I'll see what I can do with the movement.
- ^.^ Well I'll be getting some help re-terraining it when the first 3 maps are done.

Suggestions:
- I'm pretty sure your talking about attack, move, etc... If so I'll look around for some.
- =/ I don't mind increasing the size since it's a campaign, so in the next version there "might" be some.
- Yeah that would be cool....
- These will be easy to make so I'll work on finding some decent ones.

:thumbs_up:

Yep I'll be putting another char or two in-game soon. BTW I'm working on the boss battle atm.... lol It's way to OP so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier without having half the monsters drop potions =/
I've also made a few new spells to help out with the healing, one of them let's Yayoi take mana from allied unit's and give it to herself. (For some reason the game isn't letting me keep Brandon/Yayoi alive easily when testing... ^.^)

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

When the boss battle is a bit easier ill let you guys test it and the cinematics out.

Level 27
Woot you dream a thing and you make a campaing about it if you like? Good idea!

I had a dream that I with friend were in some strange radioactive forest or something, we entered a raiload tunel, inside there was a very old WW1 era hospital train that carried injured but was lost. We entered and it turned out someone was making experiments on corpses there, then we entered the locomotive itself and all the dead raised and we had to flee to forest that turned into desert when we ran into, there were some building ruins and some machines that looked like robotic buggy jeeps that chased us...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Woot you dream a thing and you make a campaing about it if you like? Good idea!

I had a dream that I with friend were in some strange radioactive forest or something, we entered a raiload tunel, inside there was a very old WW1 era hospital train that carried injured but was lost. We entered and it turned out someone was making experiments on corpses there, then we entered the locomotive itself and all the dead raised and we had to flee to forest that turned into desert when we ran into, there were some building ruins and some machines that looked like robotic buggy jeeps that chased us...

^.^ Nice one, reading that just gave me an idea xP :thumbs_up:

Anyways mini-update on my progress:

- The boss is still beyond tough (Yayoi & Brandon useually die before the boss is at 6900/7500 hp =/)
- I'm trying to come up with some new spells/systems to make it easier to play, though getting ideas for both spells/systems is tough xP
:wink:

Keep posting your ideas so I don't run out guys!

Level 27
well currently I don't remember any, but if I will have one or...oh right, the one I had today!
I with a bunch of other people were in some kind of wooden house with one room, kinda like military barrack, there were beds only. So we with those people I don't remember were trapped in that house by some imp, so we had to complete 5 chalenges each every night. I didn't remembered the first three nights, but fourth one was about succumbing (A door outside opened, but it was actually a door to hell) and last one was about whole room shaking crazily and you having not to fall into the portal to hell to be free...
That was fun, only I wake up when I should be awarded by freedom...

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Lol sure gimme around a hour. (gotta fraps it and then youtube upload, youtube takes 4 ever >.<)
The attempt might look a bit odd because I'm working on some of the triggers ~ Check back in a bit.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

>.< Srry guys totally forgot my youtube info lol... Instead, Here's "less" buggy version of the map (the entire map is attached below, removing the dl tomorrow tho, or maby l8er...)

Edit: DL removed from this post

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

~Removing the DL link in an hour or so.

Update:

>.< Still cant beat that damn boss

Level 6
Balancing can be hard, try different spell settings (i think youve done that) or simply change Hp. Maybe some triggered buffs....
Keep it up :thumbs_up:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Damn why didn't I think of buffs.. thx solaris.
BTW that is the puzzle area xP try walking around on different areas of the islands, the teleportation spots are hidden.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

xP nope, it's just to make the map seem "bigger" and make you waste more time playing...heheh.... BTW if you found "all" of the spots you would have gotten to the turtle boss.
Go near a torch on island #2[/quote]

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Lol, well doing circles won't get you anywhere. You half to get the right transporter 3 times in a row from the start to get to the boss.
Hmm, giving them a 20% speed boost is probably ok.

Anyways, I'm going to watch "The Last Airbender" in a few so I'm done working on the map for today.

xP check out the models page, I own half of it ^.^

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Don't learn to model for Sc2, its 600x harder than for wc3 (srlsy...)

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Not really, can you just stick up bunch of attachemnts to a existing model in the data editor... that's as simple as playing Lego... with Starcraft 2 editor. -.-

I'm talking about making an actual model, not adding attachments with the editor.

Update:

~I'm able to kill the boss now ^.^ (3 fckin days of trying lol)
~Working on the follow up cinematic now
~Taking a day or two off to do random stuff =/

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

>.< Ok my "break" went about a week longer than expected... Anyways I'll be back on development tomorrow.
Had 2 go to 2 b-days, 4 swimming party's, etc.... + it's 40 fckin degrees outside -.-

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Well, I somehow managed to screw over the boss fight (yet again). But it should be fixed within the hour.
I'm planning on winging the rest of the map. That means that I'll just make stuff up as I go along xP.

~40 fin degrees at night time... come on I live by the ocean lol...

Edit: I've decreased the bosses health and damage by half and threw in a buff for the fight, I know it's very early but I uploaded a new vers of the map on the first post.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Ok, I've done some more stuff and.. blah blah blah (I don't feel like writing everything I did today =/).

I was throwing around some idea's and I think that the below is the only one that would, and will need discussing.

Huge Idea #1~

Scrap the maps' that have been completed and are being worked on ATM (keep all triggers, storyline, etc...) and create 100% playable 450x450 size (or w/e is the max in jass new gen) maps instead of small one-direction campaign maps.
This would mean that each campaign release would only include one [1] main map and probably one to two [1-2] cinematic/mini-game maps.

Pros:

- Huge world's to explore.
- Hundred's of directions to choose from which would give over fifty [50] different endings to the story.
- Quests, side-quests, dungeons, and other exciting thing's that couldn't be added to the current map's.
- Massive storyline over-hauls (These would be discussed on these forums so everyone can contribute to the story).
- Endless possibility's.

Cons:

- Map test-releases would be extremely delayed to 2-5 weeks apart.
- A team would defiantly be needed, especially for terrining (I want Solaris's terrain quality, xP I'm only good at making base terrain with some doodads.)
- The campaign would need an over-haul that would probably take a week to be finished.

Now as you can see above I've listed a few of the pro's and con's of turning Dreamscape into some sort-of RPG/Campaign (It will be an RPCG, Role.Playing.Campaign.Game).
Personally I think it would allow more opportunity's over the current plan for the campaign.

If you think that this is a good or bad idea, and if you have something to say about this just post below.
At the end of this week (Friday or Saturday) I'll see how many replies have been given for good/bad idea and make my decision based upon the amount on each side and how well the point's made in each post have been made.

Final note: If I do end up changing to this new idea all spells, creatures, items, and hero's will be kept and used on the new map.

Level 6
You should definetly think about redoing the map.
Regarding the test releases, it will take more time indeed
but time shouldn´t be the problem, because if you making
a new map this will also take time. Making a campaign is
always a time-killer, so it´s all about time.
It´s the same with the fine-tuning this will take time too,
if you make a new map or if you don´t doesn´t matter.
Yea and for that kind of map size you´ll need more than one
terrainer and some kind of clear map concept (how the areas look,
pathing, Quest and Story-course etc.).
BUT!
You also have no loading time, its all in one map.
And, no offense, this time you could give it a more
dreamish look - make it surreal and far from reality.
(Regarding this you really should take a look at an
old game I´ve recommended also for music Dreams to reality)
You will also create a map which could be played
more than once, cause there are still things to explore
(thinking of secrets:xxd: and maybe different endings :grin:)
All in all: do it!!!

I feel really honored about the terrain quality
(somehow link is not working, take the link from my signature...).

Level 12
this is a quite good idea, I like this. I liked especially over 50 ending possibilities. it would be even better if you make the main maps middle chapters for each campaign. (like 2nd chapter for a 3 chapters campaign) And 3rd chapter would take shape based to main chapters ending.

and for massive storyline overhaul, I saw narrator with pants :grin:
lol j/k

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Looks like I'll probably end up using the new idea (unless something random changes my mind by Friday.)

ATM I've already figured that I'd probably end up using the new idea so I've done and am working on the following:

-Learning how to use dialogue boxes [Done]
-Learning how to make a leaderboard that counts kills [Done]
-Learning more advanced triggers [Done]
-Basically making a new arrow key movement system that's combined with a 3rd person view [Done, for now] (DW about the arrow key thing coming back ^.^, it wont be as "crude" as the old one xP)
-Creating a 480x480 map with some basic HQ doodads to start with [Done]
-Learning how to terrain better [In-Progress]
-Learning how to skin, self-taught xP [In-Progress]
-Re skinning the Yayoi model, so it looks less pixilated and MS painted =/ [In-Progress]
-Learning how to model crystal's and attachments [To-Do]
-Trying to come up with a 100% original start for the campaign [To-Do]
-Brainstorm ALOT! [To-Do]

Dreamscape will probably have an optional arrow key system with 3rd-person-view to use, you will also be able to choose to play normally.
Since I still have the stuff on the above list and a few more not on the list to do, There's not going to be any demo's or beta/alpha/lastwordsintheweirddevelopmentstagewordstouse maps released until late September (Not 100% sure though).

~BTW if you want to do something for the map just tell me, I'll probably need help making some models/icons/skins/terrain/etc... after I start working on the map.:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.