• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Just a note on portraits: Why aren't they animated like in war3? I asked Blizz once but they ignored that. I also want them animated. It seems they chose quantity over quality. Better make animated or they are already in the MPQ.. than tons of pictures.. See again? The prob remains in bnet, not campaign or others, the rest is just useless crying.
I'm assuming you mean the in-game portraits, in which case there are animated portraits. It's by default turned off in lower graphics settings. The rest of this paragraph is incomprehensible.
I also said that achievements should be rare to achieve and should be like - blizz map contest winner, tournament winner, these are just pointless but I ignore them, since they are made for the 'YAY I WON!' idiots.
Yes, it really takes an idiot to feel good for winning a game.

Listen, all games are pointless. You accomplish nothing. That doesn't mean you can't have a little fun playing them. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun trying to get achievements.

Level 22
I'm assuming you mean the in-game portraits, in which case there are animated portraits. It's by default turned off in lower graphics settings. The rest of this paragraph is incomprehensible.

You assume wrong. I'm not playing low graphics and I'm talking about battle net portraits since in the next post I mentioned icons based on N wins and such.

Yes, it really takes an idiot to feel good for winning a game.

Feeling good over 1 win or bad over 1 loss is also silly, but achievement for it, you kidding me? You're right they are for fun, and when i dont like them, I shouldnt pay attention. But I happened to see what they are like and I'm thinking - isn't it retarded to make smth so ridiculously easy? How come war3 had icons and there was fun getting them, 750 wins for a hero icon, now that's something. How war3 had not too hard, not too easy, here it is made for little kids.

Level 31
lol... Kewlthis, who needed them? no one, they are just FUN.
Feeling good over 1 win or bad over 1 loss is also silly, but achievement for it, you kidding me? You're right they are for fun, and when i dont like them, I shouldnt pay attention. But I happened to see what they are like and I'm thinking - isn't it retarded to make smth so ridiculously easy? How come war3 had icons and there was fun getting them, 750 wins for a hero icon, now that's something. How war3 had not too hard, not too easy, here it is made for little kids.

Actualy, there is ez achievements, Normal, hard, Very hard achievements.

Level 34
It's only about the most awesome campaign for anything ever. Say what you want about the story, the level design and mission design are amazing and a great departure from previous RTS.
That's just a little bit subjective. It was loads better than SC1 and most RTS, but I enjoyed DoW2 campaign more than this one. I think I enjoyed wc3 more as well. Tough to say there though since I haven't played it in years.
As well, when you say "campaign for anything ever", are you only referring to RTS games?

Also, "more races with similarities" just isn't Starcraft. Part of what makes it so different is the fact that it doesn't just have a blob of visually different races that play similarly--its races are so completely, totally, utterly different that the best player in the world playing one race is only really good playing another (and that "really good" comes down to their mechanics, not their strategy).
Fair enough. I don't think one race would totally throw that off, but I would bet Blizzard looked into making a new race, and decided against it for good reasons. Personally though, I enjoy more races, and if it was plausible without upsetting the current game, then it'd be well worth it in my opinion.

Level 10
That's just a little bit subjective. It was loads better than SC1 and most RTS, but I enjoyed DoW2 campaign more than this one. I think I enjoyed wc3 more as well. Tough to say there though since I haven't played it in years.
As well, when you say "campaign for anything ever", are you only referring to RTS games?
What you think! Its GW of course its going to be good. And its from the 40k universe everything from 40k is good. Minus slaaneesh.

Level 31
Personally though, I enjoy more races, and if it was plausible without upsetting the current game, then it'd be well worth it in my opinion.

i think, the only way they could do another race is to find something that would make it different from others. it would be pretty hard to find a good idea that wouldnt be a mixt of 2 races. i think its pretty nice this way, every races are very different.

Level 22
Actualy, there is ez achievements, Normal, hard, Very hard achievements.

Yes, they could omit the EZ ones. I'm rather amazed they made so many of them, I dont think anyone would care if they were only 20 or 100 as they currently are. Achievements are silly, im not the only1 thinking so. If they were removed, kids would be like 'plz plz plz i want achivment, i hez achivment plz plz achivment!'. Nothing more to say, I wont look at them. I see some pictures and I dont even read what they are.

They also made tons of portraits and not animated, why? It's much better to have say 20 portraits but animated.

Blizzard decided that they'd be so C00L if they didnt add important battle net features in the 1st place and instead gave you Facepalm, and most importantly - Achievementz. lulz

Level 11
I like the random ones in the combat section, moderately entertaining to try and get.
If they were removed, kids would be like 'plz plz plz i want achivment, i hez achivment plz plz achivment!'.
Good job completely missing the point, along with completely generalizing everyone who likes achievements as children just because you can't ignore them (which in and of itself is rather childish, don't you think?)

@portraits, I prefer them not being animated, at least in the main menus and party screen. Perhaps inside the profile of players, but not in the main screen (6 different portraits all animating simultaneously in the top right corner whenever you are in a party would be annoying).

Also, Facebook integration and achievements are not the reason why Bnet is missing important features.

Level 6
I don't think the achievements are that big of a deal whether you care for them or not. If not than just ignore them.

There have been some good points made. Obviously, Blizzard needs to make some changes to Battlenet 2.

It's a good thing they didn't include a 4rth race. The game would have taken much longer. If they want to include a 4rth race they could do so in an expansion or in SC3.

To those who are upset with the way SC2's gameplay is than get over it. Obviously, the game isn't for you. SC2 is old school style. They didn't change much for the sake of the fans. I think the gameplay is fun and awesome.

I don't care much for the Portraits on Battle.net. I don't think it's necessary they have to make them animated like in WC3. It's not that big of a deal.

I still have my complaint about where the story may possibly be headed, but for all I know Blizzard may actually surprise us. I'll give the story another chance. It's only 1/3 of the way through. They just left a lot of unanswered questions after WOL. I hope HOTS can redeem them. I hope Kerrigan is still evil and that this is all some scheme to gain more power and once again crush Jim Raynor's heart.

As for things I really like about the game, I like the graphics. Maybe some don't, but these graphics(gameplay, specifically, not cut-scenes) may not be top of the line, but they're clean, dark and I like that.

I love the missions in the campaign, however, I'm going to have to play it a 2nd time in order to enjoy them to it's fullest. For some reason when I play the campaign for the first time I always try to rush through the missions to see what happens.

Also, the Battlecruisers, Goliaths and Firebats are much cooler in this game. I hated the Firebats in the first game, but now I love them. I'm kind of disappointed in the reapers though. Never found much of a use for them in the campaign. The Marines and Siege Tanks still got it. I like the medics better than the medivacs. The Hercules is cool. The air units for the Terrans are much better than they were in the first game. I always thought the Wraiths were ridiculously weak(still are). The Vikings and Banshee's are much better. The Thor is awesome. Never cared much for the vultures and I don't give a crap about the Hellions. The Marauders are ok. The Ghost are better. I hear the Specter's are cool, but I haven't used them that much.

Level 10
\
I always thought the Wraiths were ridiculously weak(still are). The Vikings and Banshee's are much better. The Thor is awesome.
WHAT? WRAITHS ARE WEAK! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????? WRAITHS ARE SUPER AWESOME!! NERD RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Well anyway Wraiths i miss alot. Goliaths how i miss you

Level 7
I find it funny how people imply that both firebats and medics are useless compared to hellions and medivacs when they actually aren't. If you are going pure barracks build then firebats are better than hellions since they can be healed by medics/medivacs and keep pace with rines and rauders acting as a durable vanguard since they can be healed whereas hellions pop after short amounts of fire since they can't be repaired unless you carry an SCV train which is tactically and economically impractical. Medics are more useful than medivacs since a decent sized medic train can survive through a large majority of firefights by medic-medic heals which medivacs cannot since they are flying mechanicals which also leave medivacs as vulnerable air targets to any specialized ground to air or air to air units since the medivacs will always be primary targets.

Level 22
@portraits, I prefer them not being animated, at least in the main menus and party screen. Perhaps inside the profile of players, but not in the main screen (6 different portraits all animating simultaneously in the top right corner whenever you are in a party would be annoying).

Also, Facebook integration and achievements are not the reason why Bnet is missing important features.

Just like in war3, animated in profile, non-animated in the game lobby, hope they do it and someone raises that question to blizzard forums.

No they aren't the reasons, it just looks ludicrous to have them instead of the needed features, that could've switched places which will come first if those come at all and hopefully are not an excuse for char channels etc.

lol imtor, I was right, you take yourself waayy way too seriously when you play games...

Yes it's called playing serious, not just for fun. Achievements arent something with which I cant live but they are just made in a stupid way, face it.
-----

And to get to the point, as you can see bnet does need a lots of fixes, so all these whine about it, it's normal, but I dont see why ppl whine over the campaign when it's made so great and the story. That's what I mean that similar threads and topics emerged that is just useless bitching about - why is game so fast, why no 4th race, why X killed Y, in the CPG etc.

Level 7
And to get to the point, as you can see bnet does need a lots of fixes, so all these whine about it, it's normal, but I dont see why ppl whine over the campaign when it's made so great and the story. That's what I mean that similar threads and topics emerged that is just useless bitching about - why is game so fast, why no 4th race, why X killed Y, in the CPG etc.

People whine about the campaign because it felt half-assed most of the time and only vaguely interesting the rest of the time while it's obvious that Blizzard's time went almost entirely into making the competitive ladder which is also why the game is so fast compared to SC1. Honestly one of the things I dislike about SC2 the most is how Blizzard played it off as being the best game of the next century in story, custom, and ladder modes when it's obvious to see where all their time went.

Level 22
and what rank are you mr. serious?..

I was warming up on some tournaments. haven't played since July, got sc2 recently, no rank. Will go for Diamond apparently. nothing impressive all thx to the numerous divisions where there may be Diamond with the skill of gold. Generally was in platinum in beta, didnt have time to go up with resets.

People whine about the campaign because it felt half-assed most of the time and only vaguely interesting the rest of the time while it's obvious that Blizzard's time went almost entirely into making the competitive ladder which is also why the game is so fast compared to SC1. Honestly one of the things I dislike about SC2 the most is how Blizzard played it off as being the best game of the next century in story, custom, and ladder modes when it's obvious to see where all their time went.

Haha I wouldn't say so. Unless you mean 'Blizzard's time went on some completetly inappropriate ladder&ranking system'. Because that's what all say on forums, the bnet 2.0 sucks. so it either went somewhere else or was wasted on a bad battle net. Ok when I do the campaign, I'll say but the videos look great and nothing like bad campaign

Level 3
About the comented here, i really thought the end would be better.

1. Kerrigan is human now (btw, SC2 infested kerrigan was different from SC1. In SC1 she had red haired too when transformed /details). lol, she'll probably control the zergs again, cause she is not infested anymore, but if she was separeted totally from her zerg part, she would've died too. Or no. Maybe as someone said here, it's just a screen for big bad zerg characters.

1.2 The Primary Hive was destroyed. Zergs don't have the numbers from before, but they just can adapt and raise fast. Who knows. Also, where in the world is Duran ?

2. Battle Net probably will be adapted later. Blizz isn't stupid enough to doesn't hear people complains.

3. Achievementes are just great ! I just got "Indestructible" :mwahaha:

Level 22
I highly doubt Blizzard gives a sh*t especially after Blizzard just announced that you can pay to change your name just like in MMOs except that SC2 is an FPS.

source: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/572264

SC2 is FPS?! .. You mean RTS. There is also a free name change. I was gonna be using the alternative name again but seeing how pro players use their main nickname, I decided also to go with my official nickname.

Does any1 wanna ask Blizz on their forums will they make profile portraits animated and when we'll have cross realms, I dont wanna reveal my true nickname to the trulz at bnet forums :)

Level 2
My main complaint would be about the gameplay of the campaign.
I expected more strategy and less mini-game character in the missions.
The mission where Lava comes up every 5 minutes was cool , but the train catching or the defense of the laserbeam included less base destroying than I expected.
I loved Starcraft 1 missions with a map full of enemies, you had to defend first and then plan the offense to kill one base after another. There weren't many missions like that in SC 2.
Another, for realtime strategy unneccessary point would be the in-between scenery on the ship. It felt like a point and click at some point. I didnt like that. Sure the way it was in SC 1 with that screen-chamber was pretty cheap compared to what is possible today, but I think they've overdone the movie-fication of the game.

Yea and the TV station was pretty annoying. The humor was somewhat flat. As if an interstellar broadcasting agency would send something like that.
I liked the ads though.

The battlenet without chatrooms sucks and I dont see a future for the custom map system as it is right now, small or new maps will go unnoticed with that.

Level 3
actually thats false. Zerg still have their ENTIRE HOMEWORLD!

Yeah, they still having a homeworld. But if Kerrigan was the Queen of Blades (failed in SC2, but yet, the Zerg Leader) , and as Kate Lockwell says "the Zergs don't are abandoning their conquererd homeworlds, but a big part of their forces is retreating to the primary have on Char" <- Retreating to defend Kerrigan. I hardly think Kerrigan hard far more forces than that.

And if Blizzard DO NOT "repair" that 2.0 Battle Net, they'll probably lose a lot of costumers. Casher as Blizz is nowadays, they will (or at least I really hope they will) add at least the chat in rooms

Level 5
My main disappointment is the horrible custom map system which also lacks cross realm support meaning a lot of maps are not available to players in the East Asia/Australia realm.

Currently the top customs maps in the realm I play in are not even completed or really buggy yet there are no better alternatives.

How small minded can you be?

I think sc2 is far from perfect. I played like 10 missions of the campaign and then I got pretty much bored...It just didnt give any challenge. Alltought I only used normal difficulty (dunno what hard would be like). The AI just didnt seem to do anything. You could take your time and mass units with pretty much every mission and that gives easy win.

And the bnet system...whats up with that? I want channels and custom map creation!!! How can you mess up the most important part of sc2 for me. Custom games, multiplayer experience...so much to improve.

I still think its a good game, yet it has some flaws.
Hard compared to normal. It's like beating your wife. But on hard, your wife has a pickaxe ready to carve your skull. Chainsaw on Brutal.

Yeah, they still having a homeworld. But if Kerrigan was the Queen of Blades (failed in SC2, but yet, the Zerg Leader) , and as Kate Lockwell says "the Zergs don't are abandoning their conquererd homeworlds, but a big part of their forces is retreating to the primary have on Char" <- Retreating to defend Kerrigan. I hardly think Kerrigan hard far more forces than that.

And if Blizzard DO NOT "repair" that 2.0 Battle Net, they'll probably lose a lot of costumers. Casher as Blizz is nowadays, they will (or at least I really hope they will) add at least the chat in rooms
Kate Lockwell said that the main zerg force is retreating on Char for an uknown reason, but they're not giving up on their conquered planets.

The fact that Kerrigan turned to Human in the end stunned lots of people. The fact that she kept her "Hair" makes me think otherwise. All zerg use Antenas and brainwaves to contact eachother. Like ants. What if her hair were antenas and she can still control the Zerg? She will propably help Eugine against Mengsk, and when the dominion falls, Duran takes over with his hybrids. The Protoss will be hostile to Raynor and Kerrigan, and the fact that they are too weak in their current situation will lead the 2 races to victory. Which will lead to 1 single thing. The invasion of the Hybrids, which will take over the zerg swarm (most of it), due to Kerrigan lacking her Queen of Blades form. Which will lead to the attack of the Hybrids against the Protoss, where Zeratul's forces will fight like in the prophecy. But one thing is for sure, Zeratul will recieve reinforcements by the others, leading to the survival of the Protoss. Which will then push back, and kick off all Hybrids from Shakuras. Hybrids being themselves half zerg, they will have control over the swarm, like the good old Zerg Overmind and those weird creatures i don't remember their names. Raynor will propably gather all Dominion Forces that are left (without a leader) and Zeratul will help Kerrigan get control of her Zerg again. Which will help all forces deal with the invadors. Which is different from Wc3, due to the fact that you are gonna ASSAULT the Hybrids.

Now don't go tl;dr to me.

Level 1
for the most part there are many issues with sc2,as for it being too cliche to be honest most games now a days are too cliche, alot of the crap we see has been used over and over again a thousand times, this is not new.For the most part the only game/game universe that i have seen that has shown better progress in this area is warhammer 40k and even then the games were pretty bad, especially the expansions. The issue on variety of units, as has already been pointed out many of the new units are combined versions of the old and complete their roles far better, adding excess units is stupid and pointless, for the campaign i never used any of the old units except for in the missions they were given to the player. THe only only way variety could be improved upon would be if they allowed us to pick and choose 3 infantry, 3 vehicles, and 3 air each from a list of 10 per race, there would still be balance issues, but then what wouldnt cause balance issues. This feature might make multiplayer more interesting and challeging, instead of ppl always going the same void rush or marine/maurader/medievac, youd never know what your enemy had unless you 24/7 scanned his base as terran. The editor as some have pointed out is far more complex, that is because there is always a trade off between power and ease of access, it cant be helped. The fact that however remains that blizz is in some cases stifling our creativity by making all custom map go through them to be published which is stupid, considering that many of the maps that are turned down have only minor cosmetic problems with language that in many cases is used in the campaign. The reason that blizzard has put all its singleplayer and multiplayer content online is because their following the makers of dow2 and C&C 4 they dont want their work copied illegally and destributed, though for many of you who have played theses games can agree that the companies did a horrible job on them.

Level 31
My main disappointment is the horrible custom map system which also lacks cross realm support meaning a lot of maps are not available to players in the East Asia/Australia realm.

Currently the top customs maps in the realm I play in are not even completed or really buggy yet there are no better alternatives.

hmm? let people learn the Editor and let them make the maps... Why complaining about that the custom maps aren't good for now.. It takes time to make a good map and i don't think that good custom maps came after 2 months of the release of Wc3.

Level 3
someone posted about SC3, but isnt starcraft 2 gonna be a triology?

and allso, who hasnt seen some amazing new features for the editor that would either require a month to create, or that were just impossible to do in warcraft3?
u can say warcraft 3 world editor was better for any reason, but u didnt understand that at first either, the user interface just looks strange or messy because you are not familiar with it

Level 7
...except that SC2 is an FPS.

Uhhh and this is why I shouldn't post when I'm distracted.

u can say warcraft 3 world editor was better for any reason, but u didnt understand that at first either, the user interface just looks strange or messy because you are not familiar with it

I don't think anyone can doubt that GE is more powerful than WE however GE is a lot messier than WE if you start getting really deep into it, for example if you look at the MULE it has multiple effects which become a massive pile of effects within effects which while being more customizable is also a hell of a lot more confusing than WE could ever hope to be.

Level 11
Actually, the reason behind so many effects for the mule calldown is that it includes all the graphic effects, delays, and all that. It isn't a pre-coded spell, like most of WC3s, rather it was created by the merging of multiple effects that create one very finely tuned end product.

You could have done the spell with a single "Create Unit" effect and an Apply Behavior for the timed life.

In any event, if you don't understand how to do something in the editor, try just looking at what Blizzard has created that is similar to what you want, it will likely help you figure out what you are doing and lead to a greater understanding overall. But thats beside the topic at hand.

Level 7
Editor isn't messy... what are you talking about. It is just not the World Editor.. You need to re-learn what you learned in World Editor.

Dude face it messy is a relative opinion therefore the editor both is and isn't messy it just depends on what part of it you are referencing and who you ask. However the fact that GE is so much more complicated leaves it with a propensity to be messy seeing as there is so much stuff to keep track of and not a perfect way to organize it all.

Level 5
hmm? let people learn the Editor and let them make the maps... Why complaining about that the custom maps aren't good for now.. It takes time to make a good map and i don't think that good custom maps came after 2 months of the release of Wc3.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying

I was dissapointed at the fact that custom maps have to be uploaded seperatly on each realm and that the popularity system is messed up. not that the maps being made are shit but rather the maps that are popular are shit due to alot of good maps not being uploaded on my realm.

Level 11
Disappointment? No Duran in this campaign! Uh and i want the UED back (maybe in next expansions)
the UED's fleet was destroyed at the end of BW, and Duran is in the game; the head of the Moebius Foundation is named Emil Narud (Duran backwards).

@Kerrigan turning human again, that is just stupid. It was made very clear that she not only completely crossed the moral event horizon, but she did so of her own free will and for her own lust for power. :\

Level 31
The first star-craft was grimmer, dirty, burned, bad ass!

Now this new star-craft looks round, cartoony, cute, weak.
I blame samwise's warcrafty shitty art direction.

i guess you talk of the Models and terrain. I actualy like the 3d effect they gave it. I cant rly say that they are cartoony (compared to other rts) they arent rly cute and weak too. I mean, a thor is pretty bad ass lol.

There other games, way better than this new star-craft.

yeah, depends on what kind of games you like.

Level 22
@CRazyRussian you must be talking about the screenshots from 2007.. or playing on low settings..

With the change 1-2 years ago to use shiny&slimy textures they're far not cartoonish. Their portraits, some of them like the Siege Tank, Hellion are silly. The cinematics look to me like in SC1, not cartoonish, though they have Final Fantasy style, am i right? They are nice cinematics, better than war3's and sc1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.