• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Director's Cut Horror Project - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
Haha thanks everyone for the support!

The point of this project is not to make money, it is to give something back to the community and share this new way of making maps.

If I make any money out of this project it will go towards the making of my own game developing company.

I am very very busy with moving at the moment but I put all the time I can towards Dualism.

Also just to clearify this:
Beta testers are exactly what the name suggests, people who test the beta. For all you other crazy people that wants to get your hands on a copy of Dualism Beta I am glad to announce that you will be able to do so after all of the potential bugs that the beta testers finds has been fixed. We will have countdown timer on our homepage that we are currently working on that you saw a bit of in my latest video. This timer will represent how long time remains until Dualism Beta will be released here on Hiveworkshop in the map section for everyone to download, rate, comment on and enjoy.

Level 12
Okay so I have been playing a very early version (I think) of dualism. Dualism is in many ways a different map from any other map out there. This is the only map I ever played that scared me, I can suggest playing it with high sound and music. Whenever you go to a place, don't just think its "just a room", there is most likely some secret key or door. I won't tell too much, but you get surprised how much you can find within just a simple house! Also the first impression I got when I started the game (Start position on the main road in the forest) I just didn't want to go anywhere, you get the feeling that you are alone, and evil may come from any side, any time. You feel helpless, you can't defend yourself, it gives me the same feeling that the old movie, Blair Witch Project gave me back then. You want to just follow that main road and hope that at some point you get out of that place, but the thing is, you never will. I haven't played the whole game yet, but I can tell you guys, that you will not be disapointed. The only sad thing is the lightning system in Warcraft 3 which can be pretty hard to work with. I was so lucky that I got an unprotected map of Dualism from Sverkerman. With this unprotected map I could see the terrain with the Day/Night models on, ingame everything is BLACK, so you can see the shapes. (You can get torch/lantern though, wont tell too much). But we shouldn't forget the UI, it is very well done and fits well, so great job by Grey Walker. Now this map or game as I would more refer to it as, has a very nice walk/run system. It works a bit like the Diablo II system, you activate/deactive the walk/run and as long as you are running your mana goes down, but you run faster (obviously), a cool feature to this is that it plays the sound of an exhausted guy meanwhile which adds to the atmosphere. This is not a map that you complete in one hour, you have to think a lot and explore a lot. The thing about exploring is that you never know what will happen when you click on 'items', it might just be a chest that opens, but you never know. I'm looking very forward to playing the full version, so keep up the great work Sverkerman and your team!

Suggestions:
- I think it can be very hard to get around sometimes, I know it is the point but maybe a bit more lightning (candle or so) could be nice.
- A kind of checkpoint system would be nice when you die.
- Maybe a bit improvements to the camera system, it is just a personal preference, but I like being able to turn while moving. (Holdring right arrow key then forward key to move + turning right) maybe an option for it could be nice.
- The save model is hard to click, might have it remade or so.
- More sounds, maybe when you just walk in the forest some wild witchy noises could appear behind you (Using 3D sounds), or noises behind the walls in the buildings.

Thats all for me right now, was really enjoyable!

Level 14
- I think it can be very hard to get around sometimes, I know it is the point but maybe a bit more lightning (candle or so) could be nice.

I dissagree, there should be not much lightning in a horror game as everything has to be "dark" for a more scary atmosphere IMO.
Besides, there is always a lantern which helps you see parts that might be tricky or just really needs to be seen. Personally I think this is pretty well ballanced.
Especially after Sverkerman fixed a bug with the lantern which I had just heard about.

- A kind of checkpoint system would be nice when you die.

Was this not already implemented?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2130316-post154.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2130384-post157.html

- Maybe a bit improvements to the camera system, it is just a personal preference, but I like being able to turn while moving. (Holdring right arrow key then forward key to move + turning right) maybe an option for it could be nice.

I totally agree! I will help Sverkerman with this whenever possible.

- The save model is hard to click, might have it remade or so.

I totally agree, I didn't even know it was clickable untill you have mentioned it right now.

- More sounds, maybe when you just walk in the forest some wild witchy noises could appear behind you (Using 3D sounds), or noises behind the walls in the buildings.

Yet again I totally agree, however I think Sverkerman has already taken this into account since there are going to be more scenes like the one in the basement I guess...

Now some of you might ask: Did he also play the game already 0.o?
As some of you know I like to help people out ;)
So I also got to take a look into the "developer" version
(which is just meant as a preview, and to help improve certain things of the map which Sverkerman can then implement into the actual map)

Also, I am the one working on the Dualism website shown on 06:07-06:20 inside Sverkerman's latest video.
My respect to Grey Walker for the great book model he rendered for this website ;)

Last edited:
Level 13
As a big fan of horror games, I'm currently playing Call of Cthulhu which is IMO one of the most scary video games. It really frightened me in some parts though its from 2006 (a good example that atmoshpere & story are much more important than high end graphics). That game might be worth to check out to get some more inspirations and ideas on gameplay mechanics that work well for increasing a creepy mood. One example what I think works pretty well in that game is that the camera sometimes switches to the view of a monster that lurks on the rooftops observing the player.. The game also makes great use of sound, music and effects that blur the players view and such. Getting back to your project, you may count me in if you still need additional testers.

Level 12
random idea
fade out and back camera, can be used to a blink of the eye
and at fade back, you face a scary creature (;_;)

Level 4
random monster idea: Dinner Room Golem
this is actually a pretty unique and amazing unit idea, image:
you walk into a room and see a harmless table with lots of chairs around it, you think that it's just a normal table. suddenly it turn into a wooden, human-eating monster and chases you:D

Totally doesn't fit with subject matter of this map.

Last edited:
Level 17
Dualism in general is contrast of two opposing forces such as good or evil or body and mind, the term is used for many things in religions and philosophy each of them having their own definition of dualism.

It's likely Sverker has his own too, so no idea.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

This project looks so awesome I just want to be the first to download it when it gets released :DD You have done amazing work!

Level 19
You can't be first since your not a beta tester :)
not trying to be a smart-ass but you should have said "you're" or "you are", not "your" :p
and that's true, beta testers are the ones that get to play the first release of the map, hooray!

I don't think I would make the cut to being a beta tester :I
Here are a few things that will improve your chanses of claiming a spot among the Beta Testers of Dualism:
-Spread the word about Dualism.
-PM the developers about what you can offer them. They are mostly interested in people with the capability of creating "Let's Play" videos with facecam featuring Dualism Beta.
(Microphone, Webcamera, Recording Program, Editing Program and the possibility to Publish preferably on Youtube)
-Use the Supporter Signature.
-Like Dualism related youtube videos & comment on them.
-Help by posting suggestions or giving constructive critism in the development thread.
-Defend the thread from flaming haters by neutralizing their comment with 1800 century, non-understandable, hard english vocabulary.

PM to Sverkerman what of the above you WILL do and he will decide;)

TIP: the more you are willing to do, the higher your chances are for getting a beta tester slot.

Sverkerman

Level 17
Alright let's do a small update for you guys then ;)

All I have to do before all of you lovely beta testers gets your hands on Dualism Beta is:

-Finish small scares + place items in the big forest
-Trigger all of the 11 enterable houses (scares, functionality, enter house, leave house, climb up stairs, climb down stairs.
-Trigger 2 parts of the castle (Main Hall and Dining Section)
-Trigger & Terrain the ending of the Beta.

Seems like a lot? Well I promise that it will be done within this month.

Oh and also, our homepage is soon getting published. It looks pretty awesome so hope that you are all excited about that ;)

Sverkerman

Level 17
@sonofjay
Everything is being polished down to the core for best results ;)

@xorkatoss
Well, I know what I'm doing so when I work it goes pretty fast. The way I've scheduled Dualism is Terrain + Main Systems + Story then later I come up with Ideas for the final moment which is Triggering. So I'm currently at the final stage of developing. Currently I would say that around 50% of Triggering is done, so there is not much left.

Here is a update too:

Today I broke my big toe. Fortunately, the bone was still in position so surgery was not nessesary. However, I am not capable of moving on my own and our new appartment is FULL of boxes from our last apartment.

I wont be able to move for the next 3 weeks and I need to carry a big bandage surrounding my toe ;(

But...

Tomorrow I will sit most of the day and you all know what that means, Triggering-Spree!

So perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel ;)

2pqj3f7.jpg

Level 12
@sonofjay
Everything is being polished down to the core for best results ;)

@xorkatoss
Well, I know what I'm doing so when I work it goes pretty fast. The way I've scheduled Dualism is Terrain + Main Systems + Story then later I come up with Ideas for the final moment which is Triggering. So I'm currently at the final stage of developing. Currently I would say that around 50% of Triggering is done, so there is not much left.

Here is a update too:

Today I broke my big toe. Fortunately, the bone was still in position so surgery was not nessesary. However, I am not capable of moving on my own and our new appartment is FULL of boxes from our last apartment.

I wont be able to move for the next 3 weeks and I need to carry a big bandage surrounding my toe ;(

But...

Tomorrow I will sit most of the day and you all know what that means, Triggering-Spree!

2pqj3f7.jpg

how did you broke it?

Level 19

But...

2pqj3f7.jpg

Am I evil if i like the fact that you broke your toe so you can get on a triggering-spree?:(
and wtf you are skinny, lift some weights:p

Sverkerman

Level 17
@xorkatoss

Well, to be honest I am always working on Dualism. I work on it everyday with a broken toe or not.

xorkatoss said:
and wtf you are skinny, lift some weights:p

I've been lifting weights for 3 months 3-4 days a week with a very healthy diet together with protein powder to stay alert and to gain mass after I got diagnosed with Diabetes.

Diabetes pretty much eats all of your muscles and your fat, my weight was 49 kilograms when I got to the hospital, now my weight is 72 kilograms.

Perhaps I should show you my GOLDEN POSU ? ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.