• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Director's Cut Horror Project - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@Drunken Jackal
I rather not complicate Dualism. I want it to be as user friendly as possible. I like the idea of keeping it 1 hit = instant death because that will make you freak out about the encounters more.

Also for aggro I just use line of sight instead. It will work just as great.

Level 14
I like the idea of keeping it 1 hit = instant death because that will make you freak out about the encounters more.

Or make you extremely frustrated after a while...
Unless you won't have to re-do the entire map? As in checkpoints?

Indeed I do! I did not make this but found it somewhere a while ago xD
Anyway...
JASS:
library PreventSave initializer onInit
globals
boolean GAME_ALLOW_SAVE=false
endglobals
globals
private dialog D=DialogCreate()
private timer T =CreateTimer()
endglobals
private function Exit takes nothing returns nothing
call DialogDisplay(GetLocalPlayer(),D,false)
endfunction
private function StopSave takes nothing returns nothing
if not GAME_ALLOW_SAVE then
call DialogDisplay(GetLocalPlayer(),D,true)
call TimerStart(T,0.00,false,function Exit)
endif
endfunction
private function onInit takes nothing returns nothing
local trigger t=CreateTrigger()
call TriggerRegisterGameEvent(t,EVENT_GAME_SAVE)
call TriggerAddAction(t,function StopSave)
endfunction
endlibrary
JASS:
set GAME_ALLOW_SAVE=false/true //to disable/enable saving

Last edited:
Level 16
Typewriters I always symbolize with the Resident Evil saves. Of course it work's incredibly well, but I think a journal would do the job incredibly well. You could have the save screen be a pop-out menu (using the multiboard) similar to what Goris is doing in Requiem, only it is used to save instead of inventory. The picture could be just paper + a quill, and maybe some ink. You could also have a load last checkpoint button in the menu or w/e incase players are stuck in a puzzle.

Sverkerman

Level 17
Another great suggestion coming out from your mouth inside my developing thread, Jazz. It's final. The saving system of Dualism will be following:

At certain locations you will find a light blue glowing journal. If you interract (left click/select) this journal a window dedicated to saving will open. This journal enables you to save your progress. If you die the game will automatically reload the last saved file for you.

To the contributors of this new implementation (maddeem & Jazztastic) I give the possibility to join the Beta testing of Dualism, the privilege to play the finished product 7 days before anyone else and a notable spot inside the final product's credits.

Each and one of you has been sent one of
21lo9xd.jpg

If you wish to participate in the beta testing let me know so via PM.

Level 19
@Drunken Jackal
I rather not complicate Dualism. I want it to be as user friendly as possible. I like the idea of keeping it 1 hit = instant death because that will make you freak out about the encounters more.

Also for aggro I just use line of sight instead. It will work just as great.

I hit = death?
Im my opinion thats too hard. Maybe you could make modes like:
- Easy = 6 hits
- Normal = 4 hits
- Hard = 2 hits
- Nightmare = 1 hit

Level 12
1 hit death means no use for medication :p

^This.

Here's a different suggestion. Easy = Takes more time to die from infection, maybe 2 minutes, Normal = 1 minute, Hard = 30 seconds, Impossible/Nightmare = 20 seconds. Btw, there should be a chance to get infected, like 20% on easy mode, 30% on normal mode, 40% on hard mode, and 50% on impossible/nightmare mode.

Level 12
The chances should be something like 20/40/60/75.
50 seems small for Nightmare mode.

Well, let's say you get hit by zombies every time you get trapped, 50% because if it's 75%, your antidotes or medicines would be short in stock because of using it too much.

50 is a good percentage, because 1/2 of their attacks would probably infect you. When it's 75% 3/4 of their attacks would infect you, which would make it imba.

Level 12
Its called Nightmare/Impossible for a reason Hexcellion.

But seriously, 75%? There are still a lot of things that would be affected by this difficulty, so why focus on making the infection system that hard to deal with? Sverkerman could make it 50%, then make the zombies stronger, add some things that would make it harder.

Some things he could make harder so that it would be near impossible and nightmare-ish:

Make the infection 50% chance, stronger zombies, less chance to find medicines/antidotes and other items.

Sverkerman

Level 17
I wake up and see so many new posts on my thread. This inspired me ;P

Alright so about 1 hit = death and poison, let me explain it abit. The monsters will be located at very smart locations. There wont be monsters everywhere. You will be poisoned only by traps. All traps are interractable which means you can disable them, but they will be very hard to spot in the darkness :)

At this moment I need some ideas for which traps there should be, I already got all the monsters figured out.

Should there be a gas trap which just poisons you or should there be a spike kind of trap which penetrates you and poisons you? Or should there be several traps? Should there be 1 hit = death traps?

Just keep this in mind. I will not place monsters far away from saving points. Neither will I place 1 hit = death traps far away from saving points.

Also, the more damaged you are the more your camera will sway and your screen becomes red with a fade filter. I can also reduce movement speed if needed, but I don't want you to not be able to move while at 1/100 hp for an example. maybe each 1 HP lost = 0.5 % movement speed reduction?

Level 12

Alright so about 1 hit = death and poison, let me explain it abit. The monsters will be located at very smart locations. There wont be monsters everywhere. You will be poisoned only by traps. All traps are interractable which means you can disable them, but they will be very hard to spot in the darkness :)

At this moment I need some ideas for which traps there should be, I already got all the monsters figured out.

Should there be a gas trap which just poisons you or should there be a spike kind of trap which penetrates you and poisons you? Or should there be several traps? Should there be 1 hit = death traps?

Just keep this in mind. I will not place monsters far away from saving points. Neither will I place 1 hit = death traps far away from saving points.

Also, the more damaged you are the more your camera will sway and your screen becomes red with a fade filter. I can also reduce movement speed if needed, but I don't want you to not be able to move while at 1/100 hp for an example. maybe each 1 HP lost = 0.5 % movement speed reduction?

Spike traps, a house/room full of zombies.

Don't add 1 hit death traps, it would make players rage quit. Even though it makes the game hard, it causes frustration, especially when you're on a roll, then suddenly you die from just a damn trap.

1 hp lost = 0.5% ms reduction is a bit high. I've thought of a system for this named Status System.

This Status System is about your status, when you're infected, you have x seconds until you become a zombie and die unless you get some antidote, when you're poisoned, you get damage over time unless you get some medicine for you, when you're in danger, you lose alot of movement speed. Caution is when you lose a bit of movement speed, not that much though.

Statuses: Infected = you will die in x seconds, Poisoned = you get damaged over time, Danger = when you have below 20% hp, Caution = below 50% hp.

You could add some more statuses too like paralyzed, or something that fits the map.

Sverkerman

Level 17
Status will be added.
Bear trap which damages you and reduces your movement speed by 75% for 6 seconds will be added.
Sound traps will be added at certain locations where monsters will spawn.

any more suggestions for traps? Also I need models.

Level 6
I'm sure this is just a wild hair up my ass, but reading through these comments about traps, I was thinking, what if there were some traps that required you to perform a series of button or keyboard events in a timely manner and in the correct order to free yourself. Like the bear trap, this could offer an intense feeling as you frantically try to free yourselve as enemies are coming toward you.

Now I don't know if this would fit the play style of your map, and if you don't think so or you don't like it, that's ok; but if you do, I have specific ideas on how you could implement this into your map.

Last edited:
Level 12
Hehe sorry but that wont happen Atticus. I am keeping this as user friendly as possible.

Then I suggest keeping the traps as simple as possible:

Bear traps dealing a bit of damage, and disabling your movement for some time.
Poison traps dealing initial damage, and damage over time. Plus getting the POISONED status.
Spike traps dealing a bit of damage.
Sound traps creating noise around you, increasing your aggro, thus attracting more zombies.

Sverkerman

Level 17
I've decided to combine all of the traps into one trap to keep it more user friendly and understandable. The bear trap will deal a bit of damage, give you the poisoned status while draining your life until you die unless cured, give you the immobolized status while disabling your movement for a brief moment (~6 seconds).

The sound trap wont exists in the same way as the bear trap. It will be triggered manually. Let's say for an instance that you are walking around inside a cave, I will make a spasm-like movement to the camera while displaying a rockslide kind of special effect at the same time as playing a relevant, loud sound. 2 seconds later you hear the signature sound of one of the monsters as it begins it's hunt for the person responsible for the loud noise.

Level 12
Would a sound be played when zombies spot you?
Also, for other traps, I suggest a Pitfall. It does fairly enough damage, but doesn't kill.
It may have some secret cave entrances, where you may find objects or consider your "Safespot".

Playing a sound in this type of map when spotted wouldn't be good. It would make it look like MGS. Sverkerman could just add zombie groans or sounds, which get louder as you get nearer to them, and them making sounds when they spot you, and you spot them.

Pitfall, yeah, but Sverkerman said he'll only add bear traps.

Level 16

Button reaction traps. If you've ever played RE4 you remember those crazy button dodges you had to press to save Leon from immediate death. During cinematics you could make players use the arrow keys (GUI has an event for this) to prevent character death. It would be like Atticus suggested but only during cinematics.

Also the sound trap is a very good idea.

Level 12
Button reaction traps. If you've ever played RE4 you remember those crazy button dodges you had to press to save Leon from immediate death. During cinematics you could make players use the arrow keys (GUI has an event for this) to prevent character death. It would be like Atticus suggested but only during cinematics.

Also the sound trap is a very good idea.

Yeah, RE4 <3

Even RE5 has that. It makes players aware of not going afk during cinematics, or not paying attention to the cinematic. It'a a good shocker. You could add it after they get to the cinematic, or after the start of chapters, or when a boss comes or w/e.

Sverkerman

Level 17
Guys I am going to my dad's place for ~1 week tomorrow. I wont be able to check this thread, upload youtube videos or work on Dualism during this time. Feel free to post suggestions and play around meanwhile I am gone as it bumps the thread.

I will be here all day today so if you have any questions before I leave feel free :)

Sverkerman

Level 17
Rofl it's not a zombie map but since I haven't spoken about what kind of monsters there will be yet people assumed that it would be zombies.

Thanks for wishing me a nice trip! This will be the first time in 9 years I've been over at his place. It's a 3 hour car drive from where I am currently located.

Also a update on the beta; Most of the terraining is done. In fact, all terraining except for a few houses interior is done. I've started to play around with my system abit, how the whole lightning, sound and environment "feels" like. I did that yesterday 2AM and my lamp is broken, had to turn off my sounds in order to not freak myself out while testing a system. Being the developer of Dualism might make you think that I'm not too easily scared.
There you are wrong ;P

Level 6
@sverkerman hey, are this map enemies gonna be zombies or ghosts or demons or maybe just a psycho-killer with a Big weapon and having a brutal way to kill us.Are this map gonna be like Silent Hill map?

Level 6
@zlowly, its clear that sverker don't want to spoil us, so don't ask those kind of questions. Also he is gone for 1 week. :D

Oh i know what he gonna do it's a surprise...
so if i can't know the enemies maybe i'm not know what kind of "imagination" is get draw in my head for this game...
but hope he gonna spoil the enemies just a little... :ogre_haosis:

Level 28
This is very far from Skyrim.
Skyrim is fantasy theme. This is sort of a 1800 theme.
Skyrim has magic. This one doesn't.
Skyrim isn't scary. This one might be.
Skyrim has awesome graphics. Warcraft Engine doesn't.

I lol on the last line.

But yeah this is not skyrim, this and skyrim are different on many aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.