• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Director's Cut Horror Project - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
@xorkatoss

Well, to be honest I am always working on Dualism. I work on it everyday with a broken toe or not.

I've been lifting weights for 3 months 3-4 days a week with a very healthy diet together with protein powder to stay alert and to gain mass after I got diagnosed with Diabetes.

Diabetes pretty much eats all of your muscles and your fat, my weight was 49 kilograms when I got to the hospital, now my weight is 72 kilograms.

Perhaps I should show you my GOLDEN POSU ? ;3
"very healthy diet" ?? oh wow...were you trying to lose weight or smth? and protein powder hmm...taking too much protein might be unhealthy, just saying...and what are Diabetes? never heard of those o_O

49 kilograms when you entered hospital and 72 kilograms after? how is that even possible?o_O

what's a GOLDEN POSU?xD

Update:

My Nvidia graphic card just broke.
oh boy, i hope it won't cost much to replace it..

Level 16
"very healthy diet" ?? oh wow...were you trying to lose weight or smth? and protein powder hmm...taking too much protein might be unhealthy, just saying...and what are Diabetes? never heard of those o_O

49 kilograms when you entered hospital and 72 kilograms after? how is that even possible?o_O

what's a GOLDEN POSU?xD

oh boy, i hope it won't cost much to replace it..

Diabetes is the common name for Diabetes Mellitus, a disease affecting a fairly large population of people. There are two types of Diabetes, Type I causes 90% of a persons Insulin to be destroyed upon creation. Insulin is a hormone that allows cells to take in glucose (sugar). Without Insulin Diabetics can suffer from hyperglycemia, and chronic Diabetes can lead to a whole host of problems. Type I is characterized as rapid on-set, and there is no cure. Type II Diabetes is acquired over time through over consumption of sugar. Type II is reversable, although it can still cause the same effects as Type I.

Btw hyperglycemia is when the body tries to flush out extra glucose by letting water out of the system. An early sign of Diabetes is the need to frequently urinate.

You seriously have never heard of Diabetes?

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@.VTZ.
No time for that now. After Dualism Beta you'll see me pumping out some more videos.

UPDATE TIME:

Computer fixed, THANKS STAFFAN!

Toe kind of healed, THANKS SWEDISH HOSPITAL!

Back still hurting like ****

Currently on a LAN with my best friends for 7 days, you all know what that means...

DUALISM PROGRESS STARTING AGAIN!

Sverkerman

Level 17
Catch_ya

If you log into skype I can present to you the next map which I am going to create if you are still interested in cooperating.

Update:
I am in need of a voice actor and a 2D artist since Grey seems to be way too busy to work under me at this moment in time.

If you know what you are doing and are looking to make some money you can contact me via skype where I use the alias Sverk3rCraft.
We'll discuss the $/hour via skype.

And thanks guys for all the support.

Last edited:

Sverkerman

Level 17
Update:

Hah, I gotta say making this kind of maps requires a lot of effort.

I've been working pretty much every day now and I'm still not done ;D

Also I've got some problems.

My 2D Artist and Voice Actor, Grey Walker, cannot work for me anymore since his life has become very busy due to certain events taking place in his life.

His spot needs to be replaced or I'll have to spend $150 on a high quality microphone to do the rest of the voice acting myself and not have any art around the subject of the torments which Ben went trough.

I've mentioned this before but now its really starting to make me worry, does anyone want to work with me on Dualism as a Voice Actor or 2D Artist for 10-12$/hour ?

Level 14
Adrian, if you want I can continue on grey's 2D art work but I already have quite a lot of things to do. (you should know ^.^)
Tell me whenever you need something and I'll try to help out for free.

@Sonofjay: I'm not sure, looking at his profile I don't really see any "high quality" 2D art :S
The drafts look a bit childish IMO and the icons just doesn't seem to look right but that's just my personal opinion.
I'm just saying I wouldn't hire him for 10-12$/hour if the outcome looks like his drawings or icons.

But ofcourse I might be completely wrong since I can't judge someone based on just a few drawings.

No offense Sin'dorei300

Level 14
That guy is Bloodelf300, our Icon Spotlight Member of the Month of June,

As I said, I don't know him/her. My judgement was purely based on what I saw in that profile in which I didn't like the art due to my personal taste.

Perhaps he/she is pretty good, but I wouldn't know untill I have seen more.

Update:

Hah, I gotta say making this kind of maps requires a lot of effort.

I've been working pretty much every day now and I'm still not done ;D

Also I've got some problems.

My 2D Artist and Voice Actor, Grey Walker, cannot work for me anymore since his life has become very busy due to certain events taking place in his life.

His spot needs to be replaced or I'll have to spend $150 on a high quality microphone to do the rest of the voice acting myself and not have any art around the subject of the torments which Ben went trough.

I've mentioned this before but now its really starting to make me worry, does anyone want to work with me on Dualism as a Voice Actor or 2D Artist for 10-12$/hour ?

There are many people here who would do it for free. :O

Sverkerman

Level 17
As stated abvoe I want Dualism to have top quality, something which you cannot get for free unforunately unless you clone Hashjie and I do not quite have the budget nor the experience to do so.

I've contacted Pharaoh_ and Bloodelf300. I am currently waiting for replies.

Hopefully this issue will get resolved shortly.

EDIT:
The LAN I had with my best friends ended today. It was the greatest time I've had in years.

Now that I am returning home to my game developing dungeon I will be planning my next development together with the people who I wish to work together with at the same time as I am finishing Dualism BETA.

If Pharaoh_ and Bloodelf300 has what I am looking for and they agree to work with me Dualism will be finished in a matter of days. I know that I haven't posted a update video, talked about progress or even shared some pictures but that is because if I showed you everything that Dualism has to offer it wouldn't be as stunning. What I'm trying to say is that it might not seem as I am working on Dualism at all when in fact I am working on Dualism every day.

As stated abvoe I want Dualism to have top quality, something which you cannot get for free unforunately unless you clone Hashjie and I do not quite have the budget nor the experience to do so.

I've contacted Pharaoh_ and Bloodelf300. I am currently waiting for replies.

Hopefully this issue will get resolved shortly.

EDIT:
The LAN I had with my best friends ended today. It was the greatest time I've had in years.

Now that I am returning home to my game developing dungeon I will be planning my next development together with the people who I wish to work together with at the same time as I am finishing Dualism BETA.

If Pharaoh_ and Bloodelf300 has what I am looking for and they agree to work with me Dualism will be finished in a matter of days. I know that I haven't posted a update video, talked about progress or even shared some pictures but that is because if I showed you everything that Dualism has to offer it wouldn't be as stunning. What I'm trying to say is that it might not seem as I am working on Dualism at all when in fact I am working on Dualism every day.

But it does feel like you have slowed down ;s

Sverkerman

Level 17
@maddeem
That is why I wrote this message, even if it seems like I've slowed down I have in fact not. It feels like I have because I am not updating you as a viewer as much as I used to which is also the reason behind why I am telling you that I have not under any circumstances slowed my map making speed down, in fact I am slightly more active now than what I was when I first started what would eventually become the Dualism Project.

Update:

Got a reply from Bloodelf300, he is not interested. Any other 2D artist suggestions? Preferably freehand artists.

Level 12
I love the way different people from various countries come together to help this project

Level 14
I would like some feedback from people on www.projectdualism.com.
Not everything on the website is done yet, there are still some minor things that should be updated.
However I would really like to know what people think about it so far. And hopefully give some advice on improvements etc...

P.S. If you find any bugs, please report them to me through PM.

EDIT: I am already aware of the cached animated .gif bug (I'm currently resolving this issue right now)

What if someone takes their code and gives it to other people?
Then again you could have it be name specific. But if you were to compare two codes and user names you could easily reverse engineer it.
The website is glitchy and often goes black for half a second. The text pops up much too early and so on. It really doesn't have much content. You could add stuff like "Currently Working On" "Gallery" or whatever. Maybe even a shout box to discuss stuff.

Level 14
What if someone takes their code and gives it to other people?
Then again you could have it be name specific.

That has already been taken care of.
Using someone elses code will simply not work.
one little hint won't hurt: it works with paypal transactions.
Plus a serial code can only be used once for all the games!
So even if someone did decipher the serial code (Good luck, it's heavilly encrypted), they would still have to break into our database in order to create a working code for them individually...
And I don't really think someone wants to go through all that trouble just to get a serial code for what? a lousy $5-$20? Someone with those skills probably earn that with ease ;)

The website is glitchy and often goes black for half a second. The text pops up much too early and so on.

hmm odd, because for me it does pop up on the right time.
perhaps this has got to do something with internet speed since I then probably download the .gif faster then you do :/
I guess that's an issue I should take care of. Perhaps I need to check wether the gif has been loaded before creating a timeout on the content displayment ^.^.
Could you perhaps tell me which web browser you where using because apparantly there is still an issue with caching the gif files causing glitches for turning the pages and displaying the content on time.
I was already working on that exact issue.
I seem to have a hard time with google chrome >.>

These issues will be fixed ASAP

It really doesn't have much content. You could add stuff like "Currently Working On" "Gallery" or whatever. Maybe even a shout box to discuss stuff.

I'm not sure if a shoutbox is really nessecary since we got the hive :/
Also a "Currently Working On" is basically the projects page.
However since there is now only one project (Dualism) we haven't got much content to put on that page at this moment.

A Gallery page might be a good idea though, but I think that's up to Adrian to decide, a web developer shouldn't have to deal with the content of it's customer IMO.

Level 14
Ahhh, so the site that you told me that you're working on is up now, good job hashjie but the gif work really slow for me.

Thank you, and yes I am aware of that ;)
I'm trying to do the best I can to make everything work smooth.

EDIT: some improvements are already made for the firefox webbrowser

Sverkerman

Level 17
@UnkNown
Hashjie is the person who created the Dualism homepage. He is also the person who helped me perfect the movement and camera system inside Dualism. He helps me out with ideas, Vjass, Models, Skins and is a very respectable person who I have the luck to be a friend of :)

Level 16
@UnkNown
Hashjie is the person who created the Dualism homepage. He is also the person who helped me perfect the movement and camera system inside Dualism. He helps me out with ideas, Vjass, Models, Skins and is a very respectable person who I have the luck to be a friend of :)

Ahh alright :) never sees you on skype :() get online biach

Level 14
I think hashjie made it.
Its uber awesome and congrats on a work done.

One problem: uber laggy for me and the text sometimes goes out of the book.
Maybe you could make the whole site in flash, for faster and smoother results.

Thanks Drunken_Jackal.

Well that's the problem you see, the book was originally created and rendered inside a 3d modelling program which grey walker helped us out with.
This was then rendered into a movie file such as avi or any other movie file.
There was no way of converting this to flash, that's when I decided to make it a gif movie so that we could controll the animation by changing the url of the image with javascript.
Now I do have a solution for making it smoother and faster and I have already thought about it, but it'll take some time to create.

Basically what I'm going to do is this: since loading a huge gif file gives a small amount of delay
(use firebug->Net to check how many milli seconds it takes to load images).
This is basically what slows down the entire website for most people.

So in order to remove that delay I would have to split up the gif file into multiple gif files, which means I'll probably split it into 4 gif files instead of 1.
This is because loading severall small gif files is faster then loading one huge gif file.
Now the problem with this is that it needs to animate all the gifs at the same time.
So first I need to check wether all files are loaded (which won't be a big deal) and then when they are, they should show their animation (animation controll of gif files is incredibly hard in javascript).
I'm not even sure if that is possible or not :p

Plus I would have to recreate the 3 gif files and a few of the images in order to make the delay go away.
This would mean I need to create 12 gif files which work simultaniously, and 8 images for opening the book.

I hope people will understand that this job is not that easy and thus might take some time ;)

EDIT: hmm I might go for converting all gifs into a spritesheet so that I have full control over the animation.
However I would have to recreate each frame from the gif file...

Level 14
Every link is flash?

There was no way of converting this to flash

No every link is in javascript and it basically uses a framework to display different content when those links are clicked.

If you read the post I made before, you can see exactly why the website is so slow atm.

My best solution would be using a spritesheet in order to animate it through javascript.

Which means I have to recreate all the gif files...
And to optimize it even further split those into 4 smaller images for faster loading speed.
It'll take some time guys. But once it's done all these bugs and slow downs should be fixed.

EDIT: seeing that the image is actually pretty big I might even slice it up to 12 smaller images instead of 4 :/
12 spritesheets for each gif file 0.o it should increase the performance and speed by at least 12 times as fast.
I would need to create 1044 sprites though...

A quick question to anyone who knows:
If I have an image of 229 width and 172 height which needs to have 29 frames, would I then need a spritesheet of 6641 width and 4988 height?
Or can this be optimized?

EDIT 2: currently automatically creating the image segments. It'll take less time then expected now...

Last edited:
Level 14
Ahh well I am using google chrome :p

Things should be solved pretty soon from now ;)
Almost done creating 1044 sprites and 36 spritesheets.

All I then have to do is create a simple algorithm and re-create the animation + content displayment and everything should be fixed!
With this method caching will not be an issue in any browser since the images can be cached and only 36 images will be used.
This should significantly improve performance, remove all the glitchyness with turning pages and make everything look a lot smoother.

Level 14
The website should now be optimized severely, I've applyed the new method for animation.
Yet there are still some minor issues to fix.
(Such as black screens interrupting before animations, preloading images to improve caching and the displayment of content which needs to be synchronized with the animation)
I will continue working on them tomorrow
(or rather, today... It's 5:27 AM over here)

Good morning, I'm going to sleep now.

EDIT: for you maddeem, things should be improved a lot ^.^
firefox however still is a bit slow IMO :p
tomorrow I will test opera, safari, internet explorer and some other webkits.

Level 14
You're kidding right -,-?
I just spend 14 hours straight to improve it and you're telling me it got worse :/

Could you please tell me what your download speed is and do you have caching enabled in your google chrome browser? Are you perhaps using incognito mode?

Also did you test the site only once or several times? Because the first time it should cache all the images so that the second time the images won't have to load thus going fast.
There are still some issues I'm trying to prevent, please be patient as I will try to improve it for you guys.

It would be good if I know what kind of download speed you guys have so that I can take that into account.

EDIT: The random black spot issue should be fixed, tell me if it did please. I'm not seeing that bug anymore.
EDIT2: working on a loading bar beforehand to preload everything on the website in order to make it faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.