• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diabolic Edict v1.2 (GUI, but MUI)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
*NOTE: This is an old re-uploaded spell, it doesn't serve the same purpose as it did back then. If you wish to learn quality MUI for GUI, to apply it to various things, you should check out one of the great tutorials that can be found on THW nowadays.

I submit it as a template for other effects, and to show how to get limited but working local timers in GUI for Multi-Unit-Instanceability.
Uses no imports, normal editor.

3 vars used, including one for easier reading.

//====================================
Spell effect:

Curses an area of 700 AoE, killing a randomly chosen enemy (of any type, including heroes and buildings, but not neutral) within it, every second. You can easily change the allowed targets to fit your needs, by changing the conditions.
Each level adds 1 second to the length of the curse.
The victims have 4 seconds of safety to leave the area, after what the effect starts occuring.

//===============================
History:

1.0: This spell was originally made by Zack1996 on request of me.
I had forgotten to ask him to make it MUI, so i ended up modifying it into MUI myself.
If you use it your map i would appreciate credit, and Zack1996 aswell.

1.1: Added other types of enemies to test on.
september 1st 2009: re-uploaded with name 1.2 since 1.24 patch didn't modify it at all.
*1.2 because THW won't let me re-upload it with same name, because "the spell already exists", while it was actually deleted.

//================================
Import info within the map's Readme.

Keywords:
diabolic, edict, MUI, GUI, evil, timer, death, delayed, undead, unholy
Contents

Diabolic Edict MUI GUI 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
12th Dec 2015 IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected. 04:04, 15th Apr 2010 Dr Super Good: I will be brief about whats wrong with this spell, this is not a full review but a quick glance. What is wrong... It leaks events - Each cast...

M

12th Dec 2015
IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected.

04:04, 15th Apr 2010
Dr Super Good:
I will be brief about whats wrong with this spell, this is not a full review but a quick glance.

What is wrong...
It leaks events - Each cast will leak 1 unit event to my knowledge, which is not acceptable as this is easilly avoided. Try using a timer instead.
Damage is not credited properly - Yes kills are credited to the right player, but not the right unit which would mess up some kill or exp systems. The hero should be credited with the kills as the spell is meant to come from him and does not spawn a summon (correct me if I am wrong).

Level 10
First of all, i commend you on coming up with a way rather than simply getting taught from others, this is a good sign. ( of course most of the time the converntional is best )

Anyhow... You really shoudlnt have used hp, but instead a generic timer which i think u already did, and if unit dies, unit type = bla bla, do whatever method you want. This way you dont leak a unit event after the unit dies so it doesnt keep memory, and is easier. But very creative idea, i havent thought about it. Good job my friend

To Deutrium and xBlackRose: No, there is absolutely no need to use arrays in such a simple spell since it is innecessary storage of variables and basically not needed. P.S. Now i go informal! trust me deuterium, its a better idea than arrays etc, of course there is the event leak, only thing stopping it from being better.

Good job my friend, but i really think u need to make special things with it, like a decay effect or so, instead of just killing a unit.

no i dont rate, but all in all, creative ^^

Level 12
Well well the Hive standards sure raised by quite an amount in the meantime eh? :|
Back when i submitted this, noone had posted a decent GUI MUI tutorial, and hashtables, MUI GUI arrays etc were things you never heard about.

All i did was reuploading the exact same spell without actually updating it, but turns out it was not the way to go lol.

It's all fine though, that proves the quality of mapmakers, reviewers and players overall is improving, so we can be fairly proud when we get a nice review.

For my defense (lol :D) i'll say that using the dummy unit with its negative regen saves me the use of some vars, so i thought i wasn't all that bad.

Anyways i shall give it a proper update corresponding the current standards when i got alil more time (school tests atm), and couple new customizable features, to make this like a GUI MUI spell template for mapmakers in need of something looking like that.

EDIT: added a note in the spell description to mention that state of fact.

Last edited:
Level 15
To Deutrium and xBlackRose: No, there is absolutely no need to use arrays in such a simple spell since it is innecessary storage of variables and basically not needed. P.S. Now i go informal! trust me deuterium, its a better idea than arrays etc, of course there is the event leak, only thing stopping it from being better.

Good job my friend, but i really think u need to make special things with it, like a decay effect or so, instead of just killing a unit.

no i dont rate, but all in all, creative ^^
This is not a spell but:
I submit it as a template for other effects, and to show how to get limited but working local timers in GUI for Multi-Unit-Instanceability.
How accurate is negative regen on for fast periods? Like 0.001?

Level 12
Still, the most efficient way of making a spell MUI is through indexing... using anything other then indexing/hashtables is stupid. Specially since now there's a hashtables... very simple way of achieving MUI'ness.

Well i'm one of those mapmakers whose maps (only 1 for instance, but the one i worked on the most :( ) were broken by patch 1.24, and who got kinda disgusted about it. There was all this hashtable speech in that "evil" patch.

So, well for now, the word "hashtable" only makes me think about my map that got broken... I guess it's gonna last until the day i decide to go through the trouble of learning how to use it and eventually find it nice and interesting...

Level 12
Yea well Chaos Colossus is the broken map, it has non-negligible amouns of JASS triggers inside, and fixing them all will seem to take eternity.

My other 2 maps, using no JASS at all, still function properly though. But that didn't make me wanna use hashtables in them if that's what you mean. Actually i'm not quite sure about what you meant there tbh...