• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo II Online Ladder - join in the fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You made a mistake, you never start with a Paladin as he is useless for farming with until you get some smiter gear or enough for an Enigma. Always start with a Sorceress (Meph/Baal farming) or Javazon (Cow Farming/anything you can walk or WP to).

The progression I recall was somewhat like this.
1 -> 15 Trist Runs
15 -> 22 Tomb Runs
20 -> 40 Normal Baal Runs
40 -> 60 NM Baal Runs
60 -> 80 Hell Baal Runs
80 -> 90 Hell Baal Runs with better gear
90 -> 99 Hell Baal Runs with optimized gear

The slowest part is the 20 requirement to past the ancients and the carry to A5 which can take a good part of an hour or two to get. After that the Baal runs will get you a level every few minutes (especially with high level carrier). The carry on each difficulty also takes roughly an hour each. All in all to get to level 80 you are looking 4 to 8 hours.

JCarrill0 you see now what I meant by boosting your character and end up only doing Baal runs?

DSG is completely correct. This is how it is normally done on b.net. Boost, boost, boost.
And in that case a Paladin is not a good first character because you need an MFer first. As DSG also stated as Sorc is the most used for MFing. Java for cows requires some gear at least before it can be done properly. Not that much though.

That being said.
If you want to play the actual game instead of the EXP game, then any character is of course fine :)
(Do the last, do the last!)

Level 16
You made a mistake, you never start with a Paladin as he is useless for farming with until you get some smiter gear or enough for an Enigma. Always start with a Sorceress (Meph/Baal farming) or Javazon (Cow Farming/anything you can walk or WP to).
How is it a mistake? I'm doing the quests just fine, I can take on massive amounts of units with ease, and I'm not having any issues, lol.

Just because I chosen not to play as you want me to play does NOT mean I made a mistake, I bid you good day to that.
JCarrill0 you see now what I meant by boosting your character and end up only doing Baal runs?
No I do not see what you mean, my character is only level 18 and is doing fine the way I am doing it, I have yet to have any issues, or any deaths or any problems acquiring or finding gear.
DSG is completely correct. This is how it is normally done on b.net. Boost, boost, boost.
And in that case a Paladin is not a good first character because you need an MFer first. As DSG also stated as Sorc is the most used for MFing. Java for cows requires some gear at least before it can be done properly. Not that much though.
I don't see how doing what DSG said is being "Correct". just because it is "Normally done on BNet" doesn't mean that is the correct way to play. I don't nor have I ever needed to get boosted. I have seen it done and almost every time I have someone else playing they offer a boost, but that does not mean that is what I have to do or if I don't do it, does that dictate its wrong because I chose to do play it the normal way. As for Mf gear, I have gotten a few myself and also have come across 4 set items already before act I was finished. That was without farming any specific mobs, I just quested as normal and never went back.
To me at my level I don't need to get much MF gear, nor be looking to get specific gear at my level. I have always started a Paladin as my first character and have always done fine. Mind you Not always has the paladin been the same spec though.
That being said.
If you want to play the actual game instead of the EXP game, then any character is of course fine :)
(Do the last, do the last!)
This is my entire point exactly. This is the way I play.

Level 16
I think you missed the point with both DSG and my posts.
I did? how? because I chose not to play like DSG told me to?
The way I chose to play is my own, if they decide that's not how they play that's ok too.
I do not force people to play like a certain way, i just enjoy playing the way I do, when I get up in higher levels, my coarse changes accordingly but at low levels I like to play out all the acts until i finish them all off.

You have instantly entered defensive mode.
We didn't tell you how to play. Just what normally happens on b.net.
It has nothing to do with a "correct" way of playing. Actually we are just starting what Diablo II on b.net is for most people.

But by all means. Play as you wish. Hell, I even hope you take it easy and experience the game instead of getting boosted all the way.

Level 16
You have instantly entered defensive mode.
Your Damn right! I don;t like being told how to play!
We didn't tell you how to play. Just what normally happens on b.net.
I believe the comments "You made a mistake, you never start with a paladin" pretty much says I'm doing it wrong.
It has nothing to do with a "correct" way of playing. Actually we are just starting what Diablo II on b.net is for most people.
And somehow you think I missed your points above because I didn't choose a Sorc as my first chr because I should be using her to a a MF rather then playing a Paladin first?
But by all means. Play as you wish. Hell, I even hope you take it easy and experience the game instead of getting boosted all the way.
That comment would of summed up what I was doing in Post #1. Meaning your "points" you were trying to make was not what the thread was about.

Level 16
Wow... You know what? Nevermind. Good luck in there.
Sorry bud, but again I didn't like being told I was playing the game wrong or I made a mistake because I chose to make a paladin and go through the acts quest by quest.

Sorry if that upset ya, but its the choice I made on how I wanted to play.
I am all for suggestions, I am all for the advice you gave such as making a dark ranger and what not, but to be told I am making a mistake and I need to boost my chr and start with a Sorc first, is not I like to hear. *Shrug*

Level 16
Whatever man.
Seems your defensive mode kicked on as well
You can chose to interpret the wording how you will.
The thread was made to invite other wanting to play to join in, not a thread to discuss the way or manner that I play. The other thread i made was for that discussion.
We stated what normally is done, not that you absolutely have to.
I am fairly sure DSG didn't mean it the way you have chosen to understand it.
Telling someone they did it wrong, then telling them how it is normally done, does indicate what I was doing wrong, and here is how to fix it.

If it was not ment that way, then why would I be told "I made a mistake"?
Anyway. I'm out. You seem to take anything written offensively, and I don't want to risk being accused for anything.
See if this were actually true, then I would of never asked about the builds you spoke of, nor asked you to come join in games in other posts.
You just upset because you felt I was "Choosing" to understand the post differently. It's not spoken, its written, thus can easily be taken differently.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I'm doing the quests just fine, I can take on massive amounts of units with ease, and I'm not having any issues, lol.
Normal mode is easy? I mean it is pretty much impossible to die in normal mode as stuff hits for reasonable damage and your reductions are all pretty reasonable. Now fast forward to Hell where most things have 2 resistances, you have default -80% odd all resistances and monsters hit for insane damage and tell me you are killing stuff easily.

For solo play though questing I found Necromancer was the easiest as the huge army of tanking minions do not have problems with resistances and are replaceable. A lot of reasonable gear can be obtained from vendors as well with some patients.

Paladin is a good group character in combination with Sorceress. You sit around town while the Sorceress teleports to where the action is and makes a TP for you to come in and help clean up. Especially against resistant bosses and/or minions this combination is good as very little cannot be taken down.

Do remember to dump enough points into dexterity to max block all the time. Remember you will be using blessed shield all the time so factor that extra block in when adding dex. You can always reduce with a re-roll later when you have more final gear (which may or may not have dex on it or better block).

Blessed Shield is a required skill and one of the most rigged abilities in the game. Not only is it physically required for Smiters, but any other Paladin build must use it because it not only raises block (fewer points in dex for 75% block rate), raises defense (fewer hits land on you to be blocked) but also reduces block rate to at most 2 frames (this is 5-8 times faster than any other class or without blessed shield). Remember that it is a one-point wonder, place just a single point and let +skills do the work (unless you are smitter in which case you need to max it for damage).

Avoid Zeal and Vengeance, they need very high end gear to do anything in Hell. Stick to either Smite or Blessed Hammer.

Level 16
Normal mode is easy? I mean it is pretty much impossible to die in normal mode as stuff hits for reasonable damage and your reductions are all pretty reasonable. Now fast forward to Hell where most things have 2 resistances, you have default -80% odd all resistances and monsters hit for insane damage and tell me you are killing stuff easily.
This is true of course, but again that is the level I am at, I'm not in Nightmare or Hell difficulty yet.

For solo play though questing I found Necromancer was the easiest as the huge army of tanking minions do not have problems with resistances and are replaceable. A lot of reasonable gear can be obtained from vendors as well with some patients.
Correct, playing a necro that was is very beneficial, but I'm currently playing a Paladin, although I have a Amazon, Barb and Necro for alternate play for later use.
Paladin is a good group character in combination with Sorceress. You sit around town while the Sorceress teleports to where the action is and makes a TP for you to come in and help clean up. Especially against resistant bosses and/or minions this combination is good as very little cannot be taken down.
Paladins are very good when playing with groups, that's one of the main reason I love to play them. Sorcs are nice too!
Do remember to dump enough points into dexterity to max block all the time. Remember you will be using blessed shield all the time so factor that extra block in when adding dex. You can always reduce with a re-roll later when you have more final gear (which may or may not have dex on it or better block).
Defiantly! Considering this would be my 5 or 6th Paladin on Ladder (I couldn't count how many single player Paladins I made) I always remember the value of this as well.
Blessed Shield is a required skill and one of the most rigged abilities in the game. Not only is it physically required for Smiters, but any other Paladin build must use it because it not only raises block (fewer points in dex for 75% block rate), raises defense (fewer hits land on you to be blocked) but also reduces block rate to at most 2 frames (this is 5-8 times faster than any other class or without blessed shield). Remember that it is a one-point wonder, place just a single point and let +skills do the work (unless you are smitter in which case you need to max it for damage).
I don't think I ever forgotten to use it, tbh. Its just apart of every build I have ever done.
Avoid Zeal and Vengeance, they need very high end gear to do anything in Hell. Stick to either Smite or Blessed Hammer.
Actually after so many Builds (Hammerdin, Smitadin) I am going Zealot for a second time. This seemed to be my favorite next to Hammerdin.
I tried veng, but it wasn't for me.

I agree for any new players playing a Paladin, go for Smite!

PS - @Vermillion Edict, Lol Thanks bud! I'll heed your advice as well!

Level 16
So you wanted a Shoutbox... for stuff like this... etc?
No, Like this:
I will be online today if anyone is interested to hop on. You can find my contact info in my profile.
Skype is the best way to contact me.

Account: JCarrill0@USWest
Starting up another game today

Character: Jcarrillo - Paladin, Level 18 (Act II, Quest 2)

Edit: I stopped for the day, But I picked up a Crushflange if anyone needs it.

Attachments

• D2_USWL_Crushflange.jpg
    D2_USWL_Crushflange.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:
Level 16
I'm considering it, but there's a problem. The CD thing won't open.
I play Diablo II without a CD, thanks to the New patches and also because I can download my game from my BNet account.
Diablo II Version History said:
- Patch 1.12
——————————————————————————

Downloadable Installer Support

- If all required Diablo 2 ‘.MPQ’ files are installed on the hard drive, the game will no longer require the CD to play.
Game Client Downloads - Battle.net

Status
Not open for further replies.