• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Deleting what you did today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
1. Chat isn't a place to "spam", however... the context you guys call spam here is "talking about your life", and doing so is acceptable in chat, and I even encourage it as this place is a community and we should learn to enjoy eachother beyond the boundaries of modding, the another fact is...we are people with lives and shouldn't ignore that fact, we are more than mere text on a screen :|..

2. Wc3c is NOT AT ALL "everything is legal and peace and love for all", infact they have pretty much the same rules as us :/, no wc3 ripping, no illegal torrents, flaming, spam etc...Infact they were one of the most strictest wc3 sites, especially after the incident with terranup, but have slacked off due to inactivity on the forums. But not "strict" in terms of rules nowdays, more "strict" on what pisses off certain people, especially the staff :/, in other words, they are okay if they like you or you have great artistic or modding material, but if you annoy the mods AND you break the rules (stupidity seems to be in the rules...apparently) they wont really hold back, even other non-staff wc3c veterans...They pretty much encourage the community to piss on those that piss off the staff :/
Not that I hate wc3c at all o.0, infact I prefer alot of the people there as they are more "personal" in the matter of how they speak and arnt tight ass about being robots...but not at all "accepting" as you seem to claim or persuade.

3. Maturity and fun are different factors, but that doesn't mean they cant be both enjoyed or put into play, the thing HIVE wants (or at least SHOULD encourage) isn't "just maturity", but common social etiquette AND having fun at the same time.

4. We DON'T need more mods, infact..we need mods appointed to better areas, alot of the mods duties are infact either too vast, too vague or simply out of their reach :/, in other words..the staff needs to have their appointed areas and focus revised as some areas are left un-seen (eg, texturing forum, apparently no mod there).
-Point is, we dont need a "SPAM/SE/THREAD MOD", we need to encourage said off topic/global etc mods that said "spam forum/area" is NOT a place to be neglected/ignored because the rules are "looser" there.

5. Chat is not strict, the rules are pretty much "common sense", an overal summary of "don't be a dick, don't break the law and remember...this is a family friendly environment...children of all family cultures, moral backgrounds and ethics are present, respect that.", I am honestly astounded how some people think "family friendly" refers to throw dick and pee jokes at eachother all day and bragging about what they did with their "misses" :|...or what they scored illegally of their friends.
Seriously, there is what you call "being laid back" and "being laid back AND not talking shit", people NEED to have self respect in chat as parents should be welcomed and encouraged to watch chat with their children and know hive is a good place for them. I'm okay with chat silliness as I infact try to be involved in a social manner than being "tight" as people seem to think, but there is "fun silly that puts a smile on peoples face and is within the rules" and "unneeded, useless, spammy silly like spamming the word CAT for 30 minutes"...

-You claim chat mods are harsh...you should at least be open-minded and see how we are (Referring to X-chat mods, and consider the fact you were a chatmod yourself)...There are simply rules we have to enforce, if you let one thing go..the chances of it being abused are more likely to follow...infact..moderating chat is not at all easy as there are so many levels, variables and different view points on these "rules" and what people consider "breaks said rules".

....NO one is taking away your rights or freedom, you infact have a choice to break those rules, and we also have the choice to enforce the rules. Don't like how that works? Then you also have the choice to "not be in a public moderated chat" and have such "unmoderated" talk in rl or in private with others. Alot of people seem to ignore the fact "hive chat" isn't the only place to socialize in a more real-time manner.

Alot of people seem to think public chat is a place where they can talk about ANYTHING...the fact is.. it should be viewed as "PUBLIC" place and "PUBLIC" decency should at least be considered as EVERYONE present reads what you "type".

By all means, there is no "fine line" or black and white moderation on chat, but dammit people.....if you want "free speech", consider aiming for self respect and the respect of others first.

6. SE is not "bad", but more to the fact it was NOT moderated and the guidelines for it where not set up, it was pretty much an "offtopic-offtopic forum section"....No one really ever defined the levels of OFFTOPIC/DISCUSSIONS----FUN, SILLY, OKAY----SPAM/GARBAGE....
Instead of having SE, you should merely of made an subsection called "Forum games", as pretty much, SE should of only tolerated partially spammy/silly, consistently used forum games that didn't belong in OT, not shit about Justin.B, MJ, and Miley.C eating icecream and pooping gnomes :| or how certain users are "poo poo heads" or how turtles are blue and have cow legs :|

7. It's quite true, although this thread and some points ARE offtopic, they are infact STILL beneficial and constructive to the overall site...however..alot of the posts I see here (mainly the start of the thread) are merely minor back and forth non constructive points...I find those more useless than the posts in the "What you did today thread"..., if you are going to "discuss removing a spammy, useless thread"...Do so in a constructive manner with actual elaborated points hmmm?

8. I get this vibe some want to make OT and the next MT and kick out anything that resembles "silly"...the fact is already, it already unofficially merged with MT as no one bloody uses MT anymore and people make "serious" threads in OT claiming "no one uses MT anymore, so I am putting this here"...although it's quite proven alot of the people here don't know how to debate when it comes to touchy topics of "Orientation/identity, politics, religion and so forth"...and revert to stupid personal bias arguments...not acknowledging that others infact have useful input even if they don't agree.

9. As I said...If you want to remove that thread, by all means do so, but the MAIN issue here ISN'T the thread, but infact the moderation OF the thread....IF you want it to stay, appoint/encourage someone to mod it... IF you want to replaced...you bloody damn well encourage someone to moderate said replacement or you will be always be back where you started....
There is no point "replacing an annoying spam thread, with a more SPECIFIC spam thread/sub forum to unwind because the other is too messy" when no ones really moderating them..

10. A poll wont change anything, this wont be "concluded" with votes, but a manner of presenting the reasons as to why "X action" would be the most logical and reasonable thing to do.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Or moderators appointed for a single section/forum, instead of having over half of them be an all-tasks-Jack.
I thought we already had that, so what I'm implying is that those positions should be strengthened, either by adding more moderators or motivating the already appointed ones to work harder.

I thought posts in off topic don't boost your post count

I was referring to this very thread.

2. Wc3c is NOT AT ALL "everything is legal and peace and love for all", infact they have pretty much the same rules as us :/, no wc3 ripping, no illegal torrents, flaming, spam etc...Infact they were one of the most strictest wc3 sites, especially after the incident with terranup, but have slacked off due to inactivity on the forums. But not "strict" in terms of rules nowdays, more "strict" on what pisses off certain people, especially the staff :/, in other words, they are okay if they like you or you have great artistic or modding material, but if you annoy the mods AND you break the rules (stupidity seems to be in the rules...apparently) they wont really hold back, even other non-staff wc3c veterans...They pretty much encourage the community to piss on those that piss off the staff :/
Not that I hate wc3c at all o.0, infact I prefer alot of the people there as they are more "personal" in the matter of how they speak and arnt tight ass about being robots...but not at all "accepting" as you seem to claim or persuade.

If you're referring to my post, then I did not at all mean to imply that WC3C was more accepting, I was actually implying the opposite, that WC3C would be the strict one and Hive is opting to be the more loose and kind - at least that's what I've heard, one of Hive's "qualities" is that they are kinder towards beginners. Either way, I summed up to us being pretty much the same, with the exception of the community.

3. Maturity and fun are different factors, but that doesn't mean they cant be both enjoyed or put into play, the thing HIVE wants (or at least SHOULD encourage) isn't "just maturity", but common social etiquette AND having fun at the same time.

Which it currently fails to achieve, in my opinion.

4. We DON'T need more mods, infact..we need mods appointed to better areas, alot of the mods duties are infact either too vast, too vague or simply out of their reach :/, in other words..the staff needs to have their appointed areas and focus revised as some areas are left un-seen (eg, texturing forum, apparently no mod there).
-Point is, we dont need a "SPAM/SE/THREAD MOD", we need to encourage said off topic/global etc mods that said "spam forum/area" is NOT a place to be neglected/ignored because the rules are "looser" there.

Agreed.

5. Chat is not strict, the rules are pretty much "common sense", an overal summary of "don't be a dick, don't break the law and remember...this is a family friendly environment...children of all family cultures, moral backgrounds and ethics are present, respect that.", I am honestly astounded how some people think "family friendly" refers to throw dick and pee jokes at eachother all day and bragging about what they did with their "misses" :|...or what they scored illegally of their friends.
Seriously, there is what you call "being laid back" and "being laid back AND not talking shit", people NEED to have self respect in chat as parents should be welcomed and encouraged to watch chat with their children and know hive is a good place for them. I'm okay with chat silliness as I infact try to be involved in a social manner than being "tight" as people seem to think, but there is "fun silly that puts a smile on peoples face and is within the rules" and "unneeded, useless, spammy silly like spamming the word CAT for 30 minutes"...

-You claim chat mods are harsh...you should at least be open-minded and see how we are (Referring to X-chat mods, and consider the fact you were a chatmod yourself)...There are simply rules we have to enforce, if you let one thing go..the chances of it being abused are more likely to follow...infact..moderating chat is not at all easy as there are so many levels, variables and different view points on these "rules" and what people consider "breaks said rules".

....NO one is taking away your rights or freedom, you infact have a choice to break those rules, and we also have the choice to enforce the rules. Don't like how that works? Then you also have the choice to "not be in a public moderated chat" and have such "unmoderated" talk in rl or in private with others. Alot of people seem to ignore the fact "hive chat" isn't the only place to socialize in a more real-time manner.

Alot of people seem to think public chat is a place where they can talk about ANYTHING...the fact is.. it should be viewed as "PUBLIC" place and "PUBLIC" decency should at least be considered as EVERYONE present reads what you "type".

By all means, there is no "fine line" or black and white moderation on chat, but dammit people.....if you want "free speech", consider aiming for self respect and the respect of others first.

Wise words, and the ideal you are presenting would work just fine if chat-moderators actually cared for that ideal, and didn't compete to get the most kicks per day or whatever the contest is. I'm noticing a load of completely unnecessary kicks and bans, and also incredibly long bans for petty crimes (I assume most of them are justifiable by repeated crime, but it's still amazing how many bans are handed out per day, and I probably only notice 5% of them).

6. SE is not "bad", but more to the fact it was NOT moderated and the guidelines for it where not set up, it was pretty much an "offtopic-offtopic forum section"....No one really ever defined the levels of OFFTOPIC/DISCUSSIONS----FUN, SILLY, OKAY----SPAM/GARBAGE....
Instead of having SE, you should merely of made an subsection called "Forum games", as pretty much, SE should of only tolerated partially spammy/silly, consistently used forum games that didn't belong in OT, not shit about Justin.B, MJ, and Miley.C eating icecream and pooping gnomes :| or how certain users are "poo poo heads" or how turtles are blue and have cow legs :|

I never visited SE (never knew of it's existence until a sticky popped up saying OT is not SE) so I have no idea what was ever located in there, but to me it sounded like a place for completely random spam and forum games, which is common for most forums. The result of removing such a forum is usually what we see in OT today; the regulars need to find other areas to continue their behaviour.

7. It's quite true, although this thread and some points ARE offtopic, they are infact STILL beneficial and constructive to the overall site...however..alot of the posts I see here (mainly the start of the thread) are merely minor back and forth non constructive points...I find those more useless than the posts in the "What you did today thread"..., if you are going to "discuss removing a spammy, useless thread"...Do so in a constructive manner with actual elaborated points hmmm?

My point exactly, good to know somebody else sees it that way.

8. I get this vibe some want to make OT and the next MT and kick out anything that resembles "silly"...the fact is already, it already unofficially merged with MT as no one bloody uses MT anymore and people make "serious" threads in OT claiming "no one uses MT anymore, so I am putting this here"...although it's quite proven alot of the people here don't know how to debate when it comes to touchy topics of "Orientation/identity, politics, religion and so forth"...and revert to stupid personal bias arguments...not acknowledging that others infact have useful input even if they don't agree.

The problem with MT, pardon me for bringing it up in an indirectly related thread, is pretty much that you have to be accepted in, rather than being kicked out. Give everyone a chance, and kick those out that can't take the discussions seriously. It makes more work in the beginning, but as you filter out the idiots it'll be a much more open and serious atmosphere.

Level 30
We should only let people with 500 rep+ post in some elite subforum in OT. Just like what the medihv's tower concept was all about until just about anyone could manage to get +15 rep in like 2-3 days. We should get a serious mod -not Elenai for example- and make the punishments really severe and we'd get ourselves a "something intelligent" forum.

Level 30
No, no, no. That's gay. We are not elitish, are we? Go to wc3campaigns if you want to be.
I edited my post ... like made it a bit more constructive.
Anyway, it's not the elitism I was talking about. You just picked that word out. I mean. None of the new people could talk in there and fuck the place up with their tendency to not read a single thread but still post as if they have any idea about what's going on or to ask questions that were already answered a few pages back. I mean... a board where punishments are really harsh... (I realize that wasn't in my post when you were replying to it) and where stupidity would get a punishment.

Edit: If THW can show that an intellectual forum can stay active without flaming or trolling, everything is okay, right?
If not, they have no reason to find OT retarded and they should stop whining.
We should at least give it a try, even though chances are slim.
(edited chatquote from me talking to wherewolftherewolf)

Last edited:
Level 35
We should only let people with 500 rep+ post in some elite subforum in OT. Just like what the medihv's tower concept was all about until just about anyone could manage to get +15 rep in like 2-3 days. We should get a serious mod -not Elenai for example- and make the punishments really severe and we'd get ourselves a "something intelligent" forum.

How the hell is rep supposed to determine intelligence?

Level 20
shiiK said:
The problem with MT, pardon me for bringing it up in an indirectly related thread, is pretty much that you have to be accepted in, rather than being kicked out. Give everyone a chance, and kick those out that can't take the discussions seriously. It makes more work in the beginning, but as you filter out the idiots it'll be a much more open and serious atmosphere.
At one point, Hakeem pretty much accepted everyone who wanted to get into MT. I dunno if he still does it now, but regardless it caused an inflow of retarded posts, with virtually no benefit over the original system. It really shouldn't be that hard of a job to determine who is fit to speak in MT either, by the way.

Devine said:
Know anything better to base a selection of users of?
It isn't that hard to figure out if someone is retarded or not.

Level 17

So it didn't work for Medvih's tower, and you want to try it again because..?

and no, there's no reason to segregate the users, especially by something as shallow as reputation gems.

Level 31

Judging someone's intelligence based on rep is stupid. I know lots of people with almost no rep who are fairly intelligent people, and lots of people with lots of rep who are complete morons.

Know anything better to base a selection of users of?

You don't. At all. Unless you want to invite people only. Rep should play no part in this.

You get rep based on how many jokes you make and how many resources you make. Not how intelligent you are.

Can someone please tell me why we are arguing about a thread that you don't have to go to?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

At one point, Hakeem pretty much accepted everyone who wanted to get into MT. I dunno if he still does it now, but regardless it caused an inflow of retarded posts, with virtually no benefit over the original system. It really shouldn't be that hard of a job to determine who is fit to speak in MT either, by the way.

Yeah, the thing is that in order to be accepted in you'd at least have to ask, and that's actually enough for people not to bother. The only issue over at MT right now is lack of activity, there's probably several reasons for that, but one of them is lacking people.

If people had access from the start (well, perhaps a barrier of time, post-count or something similar to prevent the people who are kicked out from making secondary accounts) the activity would (probably) rise. Of course, there'd be a lot of crap to clean up, but once the idiots have been banned from the board, it would most likely flourish with a much larger "intelligent community" within the board.

You're right, it's not hard at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
MT didn't work out well simply because the users who weren't fit to post there were given permission to do so (by whoever was in charge). By starting over with MT and by being more strict with who is given permission and not, I think it could work out just fine,

Level 30
Rejecting someone would cause drama if the reason is "you're retarded". If you say "you need 200 more rep" he'll be like "zomg gotta contribute awesome resources so I can join the board. :3

You don't. At all. Unless you want to invite people only. Rep should play no part in this.
Inviting could work, yet again, people would get frustrated for not getting an invitation. Also, I'm a bad person in the chat, I won't get invited. So rep-based posting ftw.

Level 20
shiiK said:
Yeah, the thing is that in order to be accepted in you'd at least have to ask, and that's actually enough for people not to bother. The only issue over at MT right now is lack of activity, there's probably several reasons for that, but one of them is lacking people.
If people are too lazy to ask permission to join a forum for serious discussion (which should take only a couple seconds), I'm not convinced that they'll provide any well-thought material at all.

Devine said:
Rejecting someone would cause drama if the reason is "you're retarded". If you say "you need 200 more rep" he'll be like "zomg gotta contribute awesome resources so I can join the board. :3
It's a forum for intelligent discussion. Intelligent people are supposed to have intelligent discussions. Intelligent people are often not retarded. So the "intelligent discussion only" rule pretty much equates to "no retards allowed."

Level 30
If people are too lazy to ask permission to join a forum for serious discussion (which should take only a couple seconds), I'm not convinced that they'll provide any well-thought material at all.

It's a forum for intelligent discussion. Intelligent people are supposed to have intelligent discussions. Intelligent people are often not retarded. So the "intelligent discussion only" rule pretty much equates to "no retards allowed."

So if you were retarded, you wouldn't start a drama in the site discussion forum because the moderator in the elite forum said you were too retarded to post in there?
I think you don't really realize just how retarded people can be.

Level 2
If it was moderated, sure, leave it. No one seems to really moderate it, hence why its so spammy.

Although the point is to be abit off track to "get to know eachother", atm its wayyyy too overboard and no one is moderating it.

I don't care if it gets deleted, but it SHOULD be at least moderated if its going to stay :/
Your right only If everyone work with each other.

Level 20
Maybe everyone can just shut up and keep their anecdotes, deceased pet stories, drinking problems, etc. to themselves? Or the chat? Or people who actually care? I don't see why this absolutely has to end with spam overflowing the OT section.

Maybe everyone can just shut up and keep their anecdotes, deceased pet stories, drinking problems, etc. to themselves? Or the chat? Or people who actually care? I don't see why this absolutely has to end with spam overflowing the OT section.

Too bad we're not all supremely logical beings like you, imagine the possibilities

Well apparently a lot of people like to share these things and I don't see why Squiggy closed it, I mean it's even being moderated at by the mods, so those who don't want to post there, just don't open it then.

Level 35
Actually, the purpose of a "spam" thread was not simply sharing what individuals have been doing, which yes, most people don't care about. The thread has been serving as a dump for stuff like funny vids, pictures, discussions, whatever else. I don't see anything wrong with having a thread for that.

Is there an actual reason why we are enforcing this all work and no play philosophy anyway?

Level 31
Why exactly was it closed? You could have simply not gone to the thread...

Its funny how people want this site to be no entertainment and all serious business. When infact, the site is here for modifications to a game that is played for...entertainment...

Is there an actual reason why we are enforcing this all work and no play philosophy anyway?

Because, it makes people on this site feel good when they get to call other people stupid. Its something I've noticed here.

Why do you care? Seriously. It's one thread...What is the spam ruining? Just don't go there...

It's as if there is an island somewhere where people slap each other all the time. Everyone on the island loves to slap each other. Everyone not on the island hates to slap each other. So, everyone not on the island decides to destroy the island... YOUR NOT ON THE FREAKING ISLAND. THOSE BLOODY ISLANDERS CAN HAVE THEIR SLAPS. Plus, if you destroy the island, they will all just come here to slap us.

Level 35
Because, it makes people on this site feel good when they get to call other people stupid. Its something I've noticed here.

It's an e-peen thing, really. People talk with ludicrously correct grammar, troll others and try to act like like they're 40 to make themselves believe they're intelligent or superior to others.

That's the internet for you.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It's as if there is an island somewhere where people slap each other all the time. Everyone on the island loves to slap each other. Everyone not on the island hates to slap each other. So, everyone not on the island decides to destroy the island... YOUR NOT ON THE FREAKING ISLAND. THOSE BLOODY ISLANDERS CAN HAVE THEIR SLAPS. Plus, if you destroy the island, they will all just come here to slap us.

This.

Not that I'm overly pissed about the thread being closed, but just closing it while people still were discussing the possibilities is pretty rude. At least take some time to delve into the issue at hand before you handle it.

Having an offline chat can't possibly hurt the community, so I can't see why we shouldn't have one here just because we're a modding site.

Level 17
Omg, I seriously can't understand how you can make such a drama about a damn thread. If you guys love to communicate that much why don't you just join the chat or something. If there's a special issue you wan't to talk about, may it be something serious or the most unimportant shit ever, just create a new thread. If you just seek communication, join the chat, It's meant to be for that, by the way.
Nuff said.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There's two issues with handling this stuff in a live chat:
1) People live in different time-zones and are available at limited times every day/week/month, thus communicating like that is made very difficult.
2) An offline chat leaves a lot more time to write fully detailed replies without being disturbed by other comments or new questions on the go.

.. and before you start hammering PM/VM into my forehead; chats like these often involve more than two people.

Yes, we can make separate threads for every topic, but most of them would be considered useless and spammy, others would devolve into mindless flame-wars because people that are otherwise not so interested ignite upon discovering an interesting title, for example.

I'm just saying it's easier to handle this kind of talk in one thread, because the discussions are short and you're not interested in hearing everybody on the forum's opinion before you move on to something else.

I'm willing to wager there will be a replacement for the thread popping up sometime within the next week or so - it won't look exactly the same or be worded in the same way, but eventually it'll be the same thing again.

(And no I'm not implying that I'm going to make one - I'm just saying that closing this thread will just make another one sooner or later)

Level 17
I'm willing to wager there will be a replacement for the thread popping up sometime within the next week or so - it won't look exactly the same or be worded in the same way, but eventually it'll be the same thing again.

(And no I'm not implying that I'm going to make one - I'm just saying that closing this thread will just make another one sooner or later)

This would prove that most of our users like to spam, but agreed. I think so, too.

Level 12
Omg, I seriously can't understand how you can make such a drama about a damn thread. If you guys love to communicate that much why don't you just join the chat or something.

Valid, but you can't just say whatever you want in chat whenever you feel like it.

If there's a special issue you wan't to talk about, may it be something serious or the most unimportant shit ever, just create a new thread.

For the thread to be closed as soon as a mod sees it, right? Then your just wasting space for threads that acually have a meaning.

Personally, I think closing a single thread that is full of spammy messages that let people release all their spammy thoughts is kinda healthy in a large community like the Hive. It keeps people from creating garbage threads or threads that ask a small question that might not need a thread in a mods opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.