• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Deleting what you did today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
You can get entertainment at hive chat, youtube & co.
Spam threads are just ridiculous.

It's like saying "don't go to the cinema, you can entertain yourself with playing video games too."

without that "temporary" users will just go berserk in the offtopic forums

Until you said that, everyone thought the situation was pretty much permanent, maybe that's why we were getting so many stupid threads lately? Since the spam's happening anyway, I don't see anything wrong with making it happen where it's supposed to be.

and instead of a whole section we managed to make it into 1 thread
and I agree with Kim, It must be moderated but not in the same way as the whole offtopic section.

Not a chance for real discussions if you wrap it up into one thread, thus the purpose of "getting to know each other" can hardly be carried out.

Overall, I don't see the need for acting like we're 47 and choking everything that's entertaining on a little more childish approach.

Level 34
Let's bring back SE instead, so the spam is to some extent within bounds. That way, the OT general level of intelligence may increase and the posts may count once again.
Simply adding SE again is not going to magically make posts in OT more intelligent. The only way to keep spam out of any forum is to moderate.

Level 35
Simply adding SE again is not going to magically make posts in OT more intelligent. The only way to keep spam out of any forum is to moderate.

Never said that. It's like sending food to a staving country. Starvation will not cease, but it helps to some extent.

Also, not the "may" and "to some extent" in my post. Don't see why it's not worth a try, there's a delete and lock button, ffs.

Level 25
Until you said that, everyone thought the situation was pretty much permanent
I really don't know what the staff intended to do with the SE section when they removed it, but now I can see that the section was not deleted/removed completely, it still exist in the site. depending on that I said that it is not permanent because if it was, they would have removed that section entirely.
if they left it, that means there is a possibility that it might return.

maybe that's why we were getting so many stupid threads lately? Since the spam's happening anyway,
I don't see anything wrong with making it happen where it's supposed to be.

I agree with this, since new users never read the rules and most of the times post these kind of threads in off topic before we close them (things similar to what you did today or random polls)

This section will have to be monitored by mods anyway if it ever comes back

(this is all personal opinion and not the opinion of the staff)

Level 40
Never said that. It's like sending food to a staving country. Starvation will not cease, but it helps to some extent.

Also, not the "may" and "to some extent" in my post. Don't see why it's not worth a try, there's a delete and lock button, ffs.
Or people should just grow up or get out.

Starvation is a problem; withdrawal from spam is not.

A 100% serious forum is near impossible
You have to go about acknowledging that every once in a while someones going to have the urge to share something that's probably dumb or spammy (for some people more often then others).
At least What you did today allows them to vent that a bit, if they're spamming it there they aren't spamming it somewhere else.

Edit:
Hmmmm seems like I'm just saying the same thing everyone else who says keep it has been.....

Level 35
Oh no, you missunderstood. I was asking to remove the what you did today since its unmoderated and filled with crappy spam.

If we really need an Offtopic section, at least use one thread only.

As I said, the What you did today thread serves as a substitute for SE. What would be the difference if we delete the thread, then establish a new one with the exact same purpose? That is wasting forum space. Besides, the point of having a spam forum/thread is to do stuff with little to no moderation.

I am just discussing, I am not telling WE NEED, but trying to think "what if".

wut

Level 35
I see. So we either delete it or

we rename it to "Something Else" and make it sticky.
(And finally moderate it)

I don't see the harm in keeping the current title, that way people may actually talk about what they did, thus limiting the spam to some extent, as demanded.

Could say I'm indifferent regarding this case though, even though I still see the need for SE.

Gaming does not equate to spamming.

I was responding to this line, irrelevant of the discussion:

grow up or get out.

Level 19
We might still need a medium for trolls to release their feelings, maybe we should let it stay, after all it's just one thread in a General Discussion Forum:)

Level 40
It's not that growing up means you hopefully magically resist the urge to spam and such (I realize that this is pretty unrelated to age after a certain age); it's that there needs to be a point where you learn that there is a time and place for everything, and the chat is that place on THW (for spam).

Edit: Also, that thread isn't trolling.

Last edited:
Level 18
The reason I started "What you did today" is because it worked fine on plenty of other forums, and it helps avoid too many threads where users describe their boring as fuck dreams and lives.

In any case, you don't have to visit the thread.

SE was useless - OT and SE were about the same, really.

Agreeing here.
The thread might not always add much, but having all talk about a single topic on a single place could make modding a lot easier. The thread isn't all that spammy (or filled with trolling/flaming) more than the general Off-topic thread.
People post a lot on that thread, but it's easier to ignore a single thread (if it's uninteresting to a user) than multiple threads all over the off-topic section.

Maybe we create a something else THREAD, instead of a forum? (Which is ofcourse moderated)
What exactly would the topic be?

Level 31
I really don't see the issue here. It's a sponge thread. It soaks up spam from the other threads. The whole point of not liking spam is it ruins already good threads. Obviously, there is nothing to be ruined in this thread. If you don't like looking at spam, then don't go to the thread dedicated to spam. If you remove it, you'll just have more spam all over the place.

Its not an issue. The thread isn't doing anything terrible. There is nothing in the thread but spam, making it not spam. The reason spam is bad is because you have to look through it to find what you want. There is nothing to find in that thread, but spam. Spam is literally the topic.

For heavens sake. I'm sick of everyone whining and trying to get rid of stuff because it serves no purpose to them. Just let it be if it does nothing, otherwise you just stir up crap.

Level 35
We might still need a medium for trolls to release their feelings, maybe we should let it stay, after all it's just one thread in a General Discussion Forum:)

Trolls can do that in your rep bar too, love. <3

It's not that growing up means you hopefully magically resist the urge to spam and such (I realize that this is pretty unrelated to age after a certain age); it's that there needs to be a point where you learn that there is a time and place for everything, and the chat is that place on THW (for spam).

Theoretically, you may be right, but as long as we're getting kicked for one line of foreign talk, political debates and subtle trolling, the moderation is doing it wrong. Mayhaps the overzealous chat moderators should be moved to moderate What did you do today instead of "covering" the chat room all the time.

This thread should really be a poll, so that we could vote on it...
Keep it
Remove it
Replace it

It's not like general user opinion ever matters.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Do you only find entertainment in typing meaningless babble with no logic nexus whatsoever? Ultimately, it's Ralle's call, but I wouldn't bring back Something Else just because people can't control their sick pleasure in «messing around». You want entertainment? Grab your Warcraft III, install it, and play it. Or wait for Starcraft II; it won't take that long now.

P.S. -- Internal debates have shown that moderators prefer moderating an entire forum over a single thread. I, for one, did bother moderating a 75 pages thread (20posts/page) and I have moderated a few others with similar number of pages. And I'd much rather keep it that way. Having a forum of many threads instead of a thread of many posts gives you the false illusion that there's nothing to moderate.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The chat is one of the most strictly moderated places of this entire forum, so claiming that the chat is the place for spam is utterly wrong. "What you did today" is the only place with nigh freedom of speech, and the off-topic section is the step after. Seriously, what is it with you guys and removing everything that rhymes with jokes? OH SHIT, THEY'RE HAVING A BIT OF FUN, WE BETTER CHOKE IT BEFORE WE EXPLODE.

The irony of it is that Hive, as far as I've gathered, aims to be the more liberated modding site for WCIII, whilst WC3C is the strict one. I can't really claim to know much about WC3C, but Hive is one of the least accepting forums I've ever been to. Nothing is legal here.

Maturity does not equal no fun at all.

Lastly, if you think the Off-topic section is all shit, then instead of pondering whether you should close it down or not, hire more moderators for that section. It's a much more useful solution.

The chat is one of the most strictly moderated places of this entire forum, so claiming that the chat is the place for spam is utterly wrong. "What you did today" is the only place with nigh freedom of speech, and the off-topic section is the step after. Seriously, what is it with you guys and removing everything that rhymes with jokes? OH SHIT, THEY'RE HAVING A BIT OF FUN, WE BETTER CHOKE IT BEFORE WE EXPLODE.
The thing is that people often find disgusting things as funny which breaks with our rules.

The irony of it is that Hive, as far as I've gathered, aims to be the more liberated modding site for WCIII, whilst WC3C is the strict one. I can't really claim to know much about WC3C, but Hive is one of the least accepting forums I've ever been to. Nothing is legal here.
wc3c is crap, most of the guys are arrogant tools who wait to punish any newcomer who is getting as good as they are. You think that is great?

Maturity does not equal no fun at all.
This isn't relevant to the topic at all.

Lastly, if you think the Off-topic section is all shit, then instead of pondering whether you should close it down or not, hire more moderators for that section. It's a much more useful solution.
Yeah, if you would've read my posts you would've seen that I already wrote that.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Doesn't matter if you already said it, everything on Hive needs more moderators or rather more active moderators.

The maturity part wasn't aimed at the topic itself, but at the discussion.

Also, how is this thread more useful than the thread in discussion? This one even grants post-count afaik and is filled with just as much useless spam (relative to lifetime of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.