• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Couldn't really expect anything more from this user. Judging from his previous posts, he has yet to type anything semi-intelligent.

religion is... as stated by a huge list of very intelligent people...(since you want iteligent statements)

...religion is: death to humanity and bread to the poor

figure it out, befor u troll

religion is... as stated by a huge list of very intelligent people...(since you want iteligent statements)

I'm atheist, and I still don't get what you're saying?...
How is relegion in direct connection to the death of humanity? And how does it have anything to do with feeding the poor?...

Level 35

Calling me a troll when you're the one making erratic claims against religion? Not a good case for you.

Especially when a fellow atheist can't even understand what you're saying.

Speak proper English next time you post.

I can see a correlation vis-à-vis terrorist acts of religious extremsts taking it to the next level. You could also consider the saying
Religion: bringing people together in a world torn apart, by religion.

As do ideologies, will rather tie this to the nature of humanity than religion it self. I'll rather say: Religion: bringing people together in a world torn apart, by religion, and a bunch of other stuff.
Of cause I'm not the one to defend religion, that would be highly ironic, but people tend to blame too many things on religion, things that is closer tied to the fact that humans do stupid things. Often in the name of whatever cause they can think up, be it religion, politics, some crazed leader or whatever. Sometimes humanity is just downright stupid.

I can see a correlation vis-à-vis terrorist acts of religious extremsts taking it to the next level. You could also consider the saying
Religion: bringing people together in a world torn apart, by religion.

All religions alike stand for humanity.
Those terrorist acts are done by people who 'think' they're doing God a favor.
You can't link terrorist acts to the religion itself, but to the misguided people who
commit these acts.

I understand your statement completely, but It's way too .. medeival ancient.

Sometimes humanity is just downright stupid.

I completely agree ;)

Level 35
All religions alike stand for humanity.
Those terrorist acts are done by people who 'think' they're doing God a favor.
You can't link terrorist acts to the religion itself, but to the misguided people who
commit these acts.

I think this is the first thing you've said that I agree with.

Religion (as I see it) is more so a lifestyle that is generally intended on creating harmony within a person (once you figure out what you want to believe in, such as what happens after death and all that, you will hopefully feel a lot better about yourself. I know I did).

But the simple fact is, there is no proof of whatever beliefs you choose until you see it first hand (and there isn't even any proof that we will see it after/when we die). It's all imaginary, so to speak, in that we cannot possibly know the truth until someone comes back from the dead (which already goes against many a belief) and tells us all about it.

Which is where I never really understand how religious arguments or wars come about. After all, if there's no proof either way, why are some people so agressive as soon as someone states that they have a different belief to them?

I'll tell you why. Most people are dickheads. That's why I don't deal with most people. Because they're dickheads. They could decide they want to bash you just because of the colour shirt you're wearing on a particular day, so bashing you because you believe in what you believe is not that far beyond them.

Simple fact is, if you want to avoid a vast majority of fights and arguments, never talk about religion or politics unless, like me, you have no strong feelings and just want to know a bit more about why people believe in what they believe (even that can be risky, as some people get testy when you do that, but once again, those people are probably dickheads that you wouldn't want to deal with anyway).

Level 4
I think Athiesm is silly in that many people who follow it refuse all spiritual belief, not just that of creationism or deities. One would argue there are things that can't always be measured by science. For example, just because I am very skeptical about omnipotent beings and creating in any way, shape or form, doesn't mean I refuse to believe people might have souls, spirits pinned to their bodies- though I don't pretend to try to know anything about the nature of them.

Religion seems like an outdated version of science, explaining that of which we don't know about in a way that appeals to our sense of logic. There was once a time where people thought the world was flat, and there were physically manifested spirits to explain every strange occurence- and everything was comprised of Fire, Wind Water and Earth, not Hydrogen, Carbon etc.

These days we can imagine coming from a different world, but to a larger extent that still never explains the very start. The confusing bit is where does life come from? How did the very first bit of life spark, to bring every living thing into existance, and wink out in each being when they were killed by age or otherwise? The big bang theory is just as plausible as a deity if you ask me today's terms, since it's something just as immeasurable by science, sense or otherwise.

Religion is like nationality, or racial stock. It brings some people together, and separates others. This is not a fault of religion all by itself, but the people who follow an idea without applying proper logic to it, like things as basic as morals. In the end, a human is a human regardless of what racial stock, nationality, standing or religion they are of. The problem is our lack of respecting and understanding of eachother when differences exist, I would say.

Many religions present laws, but just as back all those days ago when these ideals were invented, laws governmental or spiritual had flaws, and up to this point many have been revised, and continue to be.

I think Athiesm is silly in that many people who follow it refuse all spiritual belief, not just that of creationism or deities. One would argue there are things that can't always be measured by science. For example, just because I am very skeptical about omnipotent beings and creating in any way, shape or form, doesn't mean I refuse to believe people might have souls, spirits pinned to their bodies- though I don't pretend to try to know anything about the nature of them.
Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists

Although wikipedia is not a very exact source of information, other sources agrees on this one subject. Atheism is not to reject spiritualism, but to reject the existence of the known deities. An atheist can even be a person with his own, not public accepted, god or gods. Being a atheist does not mean one does not believe in souls and so forth. So you're argument is invalid.

But, All science speaks against the existence of a soul: The soul being anymore than the mere electric impulses of the brain.
To quote one of my personal influences:
All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist [sic]. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hair-splitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist.

...Yeah...
And don't call other peoples personal opinion or belief silly, please.

Level 35
I believe that if it floats your boat, then that's good enough for me.

And let's not forget that there are various branches of atheism (just as there isn't one 'theistic' religion, nor one 'polytheistic' religion). To generalise atheists under one religion or belief is as insulting as saying that all theistic religions follow the exact same set of rules and beliefs.

I mean, it's generally accepted that, for example, Muslims are different to Christians in the ways they express their faith as well as in other ways, so you wouldn't say that they're exactly the same. Hell, you wouldn't even say that Catholics are the same as Anglicans despite the fact they're both branches of Christianity.

So why would you do the same for atheism? This seems to be generalistic and ignorant, and perhaps with good reason as most people seem to make this mistake, but the cure of ignorance is knowledge. So please, don't speak about things you don't know about unless the matter is purely opinionated (for example, is there a god or isn't there? There is no facts as such that we know of, so this matter is purely opinionated. Therefore, say all you want, just be ready to acknowledge and *hopefully* accept that there are people out there with varying beliefs).

Level 4
Although wikipedia is not a very exact source of information, other sources agrees on this one subject. Atheism is not to reject spiritualism, but to reject the existence of the known deities. An atheist can even be a person with his own, not public accepted, god or gods. Being a atheist does not mean one does not believe in souls and so forth. So you're argument is invalid.

But, All science speaks against the existence of a soul: The soul being anymore than the mere electric impulses of the brain.
To quote one of my personal influences:

...Yeah...
And don't call other peoples personal opinion or belief silly, please.

I wasn't trying to say my belief of souls was in anyway right over another's opinion. I also agree that not all people in the categories follow that frame of mind- I just find it strange that a term applied to people who don't believe in a god or such also extends to opposition to the existance of anything spiritual.

To me it is rather annoying that Athiests like to take the higher ground on any matter as such. Whilst I appreciate the diversity and open mindedness their opposite conflict is producing, I do not agree with the sole reliance of logic on science, is all, or rather contempt for those who think there are physically intangible things, which results oft.

Beyond that I just think people should be allowed to believe what they want without infringement so long as their practices are not malicious in any way. It's rather annoying that some religions have not adapted to what is acceptable in today's society.

Perhaps the silly I said would be better pointed at arguing the merits of opinions regarding spiritual matters.

To me it is rather annoying that Athiests like to take the higher ground on any matter as such. Whilst I appreciate the diversity and open mindedness their opposite conflict is producing, I do not agree with the sole reliance of logic on science, is all, or rather contempt for those who think there are physically intangible things, which results oft.
Atheists, like me, don't give a shit. I believe athiests are indifferent, not anti-religious. They also aren't Spocks. I certainly don't use logic and science for everything, and I tolerate and respect the beliefs of others, so long as they do not go over the edge (eg. suicide, cannablism, sacrifices, though these examples are imo).

I wasn't trying to say my belief of souls was in anyway right over another's opinion. I also agree that not all people in the categories follow that frame of mind- I just find it strange that a term applied to people who don't believe in a god or such also extends to opposition to the existance of anything spiritual.

Beyond that I just think people should be allowed to believe what they want without infringement so long as their practices are not malicious in any way. It's rather annoying that some religions have not adapted to what is acceptable in today's society.

Perhaps the silly I said would be better pointed at arguing the merits of opinions regarding spiritual matters.

Our society builds on science, from the toaster in your house to the space rocket landing on the lunar surface. And since science pretty much supports atheism... Well... You can't choose to support science half way, and think the rest is wrong. But yes, science has its lacks. But I'll rather rely on what is proven by science, than what is written by some random human for over a thousand years ago with nothing, but his imagination and claims of mystic omniscient gods to back it up.

Level 35
Back in the dark ages religion controlled everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Education, law and order, you name it, they had it.

Fortunately, religion isn't as powerful as it once was, but it is still way too powerful. I really hate the religion groups that get together to protest against something just because it's 'offensive to their religion', even if it's not.

For example, I listen to death metal, and while I will admit there can be some anti-religion material in many of the songs, it's not like people who follow religions have to listen to it. So, while these performers are expressing their beliefs, according to certain religion groups it's completely different to religious bands singing about their beliefs. So what if their beliefs go against your religion? It's their belief, and they have the freedom of speech on their side.

But, let's talk about a battle where religion has won, and unrightfully so. Take Spongebob Squarepants. That is an amazing show, and I do believe most people will agree with me on that if they have watched it. Yet, apparantly it got cancelled. Want to know why?

There were supposedly protests by Christian groups who said that Spongebob's characteristics and optimistic nature were promoting an 'alternative lifestyle'. No joke, that is what I read. Tell me this: What's wrong with alternatives? How is Spongebob promoting alternatives? And even if he is, why the hell should anyone care? It was a great show, many people watched and enjoyed it, but then you get a group of whatever religion people want to come from saying 'we don't want that. We don't watch the show, but we don't want it on the air anyway. It's immoral.'.

Seriously, where do religious people come off from saying that?

Now, naturally, there's a two way street here, what with church burnings and such, but I don't think any show has been cancelled for being 'too religious'. I don't think a show has been cancelled for 'promoting a lifestyle which is generally accepted by people who follow a particular religion'. A two way street it may be, but it still goes one way on the most part.

For example, I listen to death metal

<3

Seriously, where do religious people come off from saying that?

People with dilusions tend to turn into total chodes.

but I don't think any show has been cancelled for being 'too religious'.

I'd say a decent example was Moral Orel... although it was a parody. A rather accurate parody, but still.

I'd say we need to level the playing field. Turn religion into something no more important than, say, putting on your pants that particular day. Remove it's place in society, and drag it down from the pedestal all of the diehards put it on.

Problem solved.

Even better, keep religion away from young children, until they reach a certain age and decide for themselves. Forcing your religion on a child should then be considered indoctrination, and made illegal.

Level 35
It most certainly is indoctrination, brain-washing at it's highest. Biggest trolls ever are the ones forcing their religion on others and then asking people to be more accepting of their beliefs.

If religion had no social power, that would create a much better world right there. It's where Church and State must be completely separate.

Level 12
Death can not be defeated, in Christianity, it is said that, when the human is resurrected, it will defeat the death itself. The Christians idea of immortality is in resurrection, so it means that the humans can be immortal, sexuality confronts their ideas of immortality. That is why they consider sex a sin. Death is a untested rumor, no one returns to tell their story. The idea of resurrection seems a nonsense, no one would live here again, so they invented that the souls move to heaven and stay in the clouds for eternity. Resurrection and reincarnation are different terms, resurrection is the immortality after death of the same person, reincarnation is the life after death in a new human or other form of life. I do not believe in heaven. Since human minds have more conscious and sense than any other animal, they take death as a dramatic thing. If we were born from nowhere, we could be born again, with other mind, I believe that death is a absolute enigma, from the thing that I was borned on this planet, in the middle of universe, is weird. I do not limit myself to the animals and human forms of reincarnation, I believe that I could be reincarnated as a alien. So, we all were born from nowhere, but death is undefeatable and we will see what can be happened after death. The medieval idea that rock lives, makes me laugh, but their everlasting existence is weird. They also appeared from nowhere, so all these things appeared from nowhere, adding the human world into the eternal nature systems, it makes things more weirder. The everlasting existence of the sun, rock, tree, fog, star, their presence is weird, they appeared from nowhere! Probably made of little weird things. it's weird how human life simplified and mistaken the understanding of nature, some think that the humans are the purpose of world, that death is depressing and it is morbid to some. We all are 99% made of elements, we must accept ourselves as elementals, that are made of nature and belong to it. Decay of corpse and the banishment of life make death appear as everlasting. Nature makes it all for a reason, we leave children as our future and we continue to live in them.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I disagree to a handful of the given arguments already, and I don't really have the energy to counter them all.
So I'll just post a video of a commedian who hits the nail on the head on more than one occasion. Feel free to watch his other videos as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.