• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Death with Dignity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Because there is nothing to understand. Its just like love. Thing that doesnt exit in realyty.

Firstly, Improve your English a bit, it makes you look somewhat more intellectual.

Secondly, of course dignity, honour or love doesn't exist in a physical form. These are abstract ideas that reflect people.

In any case, in my opinion the thing I want the most if I was on my deathbed, would be dignity and honour.

Level 15
Because there is nothing to understand. Its just like love. Thing that doesnt exit in realyty.

You wanna go materialistic eh? Aside from your English, your biology knowledge fails to justify your statements as well. Though i believe emotions are more than just chemical reactions, i'll play your game and say they are not. Simple logic put to work: emotions are chemical reactions which modify our behavior therefore they exist in material world. Love is an emotion, obviously. Conclusion, love exists in reality as a complex chemical reaction which you, unfortunately, fail to understand. Since i am normally a very polite and helpful person, i'm gonna open your eyes: Love

edit:
Now let's get back on topic.

Level 13
Your maturity has been noted.

I think anyone with common sense can tell when a law is 'just', and knows to obey them.

i find your opinion of common sense to be too high. you should lower it.
it's not common for people to be very wise in my opinion.
and so common sense, although it is useful for something at least...
it's not all it could be. i think divine wisdom is much better to have than common sense.
i argue that the guy you were talking to does have common sense, but you expect too much out of it. nowadays people don't even really raise their children anymore and those children aren't taught properly. so the ammount of sense that is common isn't as good as it could be. like they work so hard and don't have time for family or don't even try to help family sometimes. and families split up and children are neglected. when they grow up they are stupid because they have to learn everything on their own and don't have the wisdom of the age of their parents. see the problem is we are already past the point where those parents weren't taught properly either by their parents. and so it is that each generation becomes lazier and lazier at teaching their children, and the relative value of common sense gets lower and lower.

to sum it up, if someone calls you unusual it might be a good thing especially if you have uncommon sense.

Level 34
HailFireer, I don't think you quite understand the concept of dignity, or 'honor' as you -- ever so aptly -- put.
Are you saying honor and dignity are different?

As well losing "1. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect." does not happen when you become terminally ill. I can still have great respect for that person, in fact people that live boldly in the face of death have my greatest respect.

Level 13
on another note...
"Dignity n 1 Composure and self control 2 the quality of being worthy or esteemed"

regarding this definition i would say that killing yourself shows a lack of self control and idk about you but i wouldn't think much of you if you killed yourself. so, operating from this definition alone, i would say that you can't kill yourself and be dignified.

but like i already said in my other post, i wonder that the person was really killing himself or not.

Level 14
on another note...
"Dignity n 1 Composure and self control 2 the quality of being worthy or esteemed"

regarding this definition i would say that killing yourself shows a lack of self control and idk about you but i wouldn't think much of you if you killed yourself. so, operating from this definition alone, i would say that you can't kill yourself and be dignified.

but like i already said in my other post, i wonder that the person was really killing himself or not.

Killing yourself deliberately IS an act of self-control.

Level 34
Killing yourself deliberately IS an act of self-control.
Is it? When someone goes into a school and starts shooting people, and then turns the gun on themselves, are they really doing that in self-control? In my opinion, they are running on emotion. Entirely void of reason and self-control.

Level 27
Suicide is quitting life. Quitters fail. As long as your mind hasn't deteriorated to the point where you wouldn't be able to make the decision anyway, I'd say life is still worth living. It only stops being worth it when you can't think about things like this anymore. When the mind for which it would be worth it is lost.

Level 15
I second that. Your brain is what makes you a person, it is what builds your character and behavior so i guess as long as you are still inside your own head, you have a reason to live. Also, suicide is a total opposite of self-control. Self control is when you turn on Warcraft 3 for the first time and play the campaign on hard difficulty through without using cheats no matter how long it takes. Suicide is kinda like using cheats if we compare the two on the level of self-control.

I second that. Your brain is what makes you a person, it is what builds your character and behavior so i guess as long as you are still inside your own head, you have a reason to live. Also, suicide is a total opposite of self-control. Self control is when you turn on Warcraft 3 for the first time and play the campaign on hard difficulty through without using cheats no matter how long it takes. Suicide is kinda like using cheats if we compare the two on the level of self-control.

i haven't the slightest idea of what you've just said oO;;

now what is dignity? hmm.. when aging to a point of no return and starting to loose control of yourself... then you must ask yourself: Is that person aware of it losing control? Even IF the person is aware of it, i myself, don't consider that as "loosing dignity" Dignity is something far greater than mere self-controll. i'm more concerned about the aspect of "losing dignity morally" which is far worse, as it can happen every day.

still have no clue if i made any point. oO

Level 6
a single fact in life guys: quitters never win, and winners never quit. simple

to commit suicide isnt exactly dying with dignity in my opinion, neither is it honorful but meh.. some people tries hard to get away from the tough reality called life, some harder than others which can result in suicide, but one thing is sure watching someone take there own life is really a life changer one of my friends saw hes father hang himself, talking about life changing he basically sad at home doing nothing for half a year.

Level 14
a single fact in life guys: quitters never win, and winners never quit. simple

And people with terminal diseases can't win. Your point?

to commit suicide isnt exactly dying with dignity in my opinion, neither is it honorful but meh.. some people tries hard to get away from the tough reality called life, some harder than others which can result in suicide, but one thing is sure watching someone take there own life is really a life changer one of my friends saw hes father hang himself, talking about life changing he basically sad at home doing nothing for half a year.

Distinction between watching someone commit suicide and watching your father do it.

Level 34
I noticed something, we are 300+ posts further now and what did we learned in this thread? I constantly see subjects (from stupid religious amishers to suicide-hotline hillbillies) looping around in the thread. I already saw the subject 'suicide' come around for the sixth time.

I know it's a big 'serious' discussion but can't we just make up our minds?

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
What is dead remains death.
The footprints they made in the snow were already being covered over.

Level 15
That is the problem with these discussions and i doubt we can solve it. Everyone has opinions and we're not likely to change them just because we have read a nice post, in fact, we are likely going to post counter arguments. Thus, there is no way to pull out a conclusion to these threads, all we can do is debate until we get bored with the subject, then move on to the next one. Also mokkil, there is much more in Hinduism than you said so i can say you ripped it out of context. Oh and saying that someone is glad to die is umm... Let's not go there.

Last edited:
Level 27
Death isn't losing. It's an RPG, and when you beat it the game ends. You don't really lose a game. Competitions can be won and lost, but competition is a subset of games. You can stop playing a game however. Usually we call that quitting. Beat the game and stop playing or just stop playing, they both have the same effect.

Level 15
And i'd use the opportunity to remove him from his position of power if it was given to me. Someone once said(damn cant remember who) that one's freedom is only limited by the freedom of another human being. Along those lines, i'd say that we all have the right to stand up to those who deny this.

Status
Not open for further replies.