1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Hub' started by TwistedImage, May 22, 2011.

1. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I put nothing in faith.

For now I'm using a normal Greataxe, which I'll probably upgrade to fire or chaos (unless those are better with faith as well, don't know yet), till I can use Dragon Tooth.

2. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Derp, I didn't have the greataxe yet when I made that post. I do now, though.

Also, the scaling on the tooth is lower. The scaling on the axe, however, is much, much higher. With 50 strength I get +237 damage on a +10 demon's greataxe. As of now, though, I need 2 more endurance to even wield it.

It'll be hilarious. Even with the tooth, I am 2-shotting enemy players and most strong mobs. And I didn't even build for pvp.

Unrelatedly, co-op with strangers make me sad. Here I am, the symbol of badass, slamming gargoyles into the ground, tanking giant knights, taking some damage in the process... then the host won't heal me with his flasks, and I die to Smough's rush.

But I cannot be deterred! I try again. Host gets knocked off a ledge. FML

edit: I get +101 for the +2 tooth currently

3. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Welp, this means the A stats scaling prowess is significantly more powerful in Dark Souls, as I was using a Demon's Souls formula.

Twisted, post your character's stats, soul level, rings (I'm guessing Havel's & Ring of Divine Protection), and equipment if you can. I'd like to see what you're using. (I know Havel's Armor and what not, but other than that.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Let me start this off by telling you that A scaling does not equal A scaling. My club +10 gets +159 damage from my 50 strength, whereas my greataxe gets +237.

Rings are Havel's Ring and Ring of Favour and Protection; level is 60. Equipment is all Havel's, including greatshield.

Stats (11 if not mentioned):

13 vitality
    22 endurance
    50 strength

5. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aight, sounds alot like a tank set-up. Its a surprisingly common set-up, I've fought many players with a set up similar to this. I usually end up backstabbing them, as they're pretty susceptible to it.

The scaling is actually based on the weapon's starting damage (Atleast with Demon's Souls), the formula I used to figure out scaling was:
    D = Weapon Base Damage
    S = Stat

A: 130 * (D * ( S / 99))
    B: 110 * (D * (S / 99))
    C: 90 * (D * (S / 99))
    D: 85 * (D * (S / 99))
    E: 12 * (D * (S / 99))

I don't know how accurate the formula is, but it at least explains why there's such a large difference in the scaling.

My current set up (A PvP build, work in progress)

(I dunno armor names, will be upgraded to +9 when I have access to Titanite Chunks.)
    Pyromancy Hat +6
    Dingy Chest Piece +6
    Pyromancer Gauntlets +6
    Bloodied Skirt +6

Weapons: Bandit Knife +6, Whip +10
    Shields: Hollow Knight Shield +10, Pyromancer Flame +10

Rings: Hornet Ring, Dark Wood Ring (Ninja flip ring)

Stats:

Vitality: 12
    Atonement: 16
    Endurance: 9
    Strength: 11
    Dexterity: 15
    Resistance: 10
    Intelligence: 18
    Faith: 11

Soul Level: 21

I am currently in Anor Londo.

I plan on upgrading the whip to electric, and having the dagger inflict magic damage. Backed with Pyromancies, there is no shield other than Havel's that I can't counter. At level 21, I don't think I'll have to worry 'bout that, and if they do happen to have it, I'll just stab them in the back as they'll be outrageously slow.

Any suggestions on the build?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bump

Has anyone encountered any Vagrants?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSfUPJZo7E

7. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope.

so i herd ds has a shitty online system

edit: also, those things really should spawn in fixed locations. They tend to fail horribly and get stuck, according to online discussion.

8. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Apparently they spawn where you died if you died when you had a ton of humanity/souls. I haven't had one and I've put in a good 80 hours into DkS.

9. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is from Dark Souls Wiki: ''Vagrants are rare monsters that appear in specific places where other players have died and lost a large amount of humanity or have dropped certain items in online mode.''

I want to find one. :p

10. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Huh.

New plan: DROP EVERYTHING ALL DAY ERRY DAY :D

Instead of feeding things to Frampt, I'll drop them in places vagrants would be horribly impractical to fight. Like by the mass of souls surrounded by 3 darkwraiths.

The 50/100/1000 souls isn't much anyway.

11. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Another patch inbound, patch 1.04.

Ring of Fog nerf, thank god, it looks like they'll be removing the infinite soul trick and invulnerability via Great Magic Shield. (Yay)

However, it looks like Lightning and Fire weapons will be receiving a nerf.

12. daviddavid

daviddavid

Resources:
    Resources:
    dark souls in Xbox360 or should i say the dark souls it self is so hard XD once you died all of your souls will be gone but you can go to the place where you have died and get the souls you've lost XD

13. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dark Souls is only tough when you get frustrated and begin rushing - or when you try to play the game like Devil May Cry.

14. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ehhh, it is a fairly hard game, really. At least when compared to other games.

You don't often see RPGs in which you take half your health in damage in addition to flinching from a regular enemy.

Or one in which a boss which is hard in itself suddenly becomes two (or four) bosses.

but yeah, not THAT hard. Be happy it doesn't have instakill traps a la Demon's Souls.

edit: Patch sounds amazingly awesome and I love From Software.

editedit: why "However" on lightning and fire weapon nerfs? They really were OP. You'll be putting out as much damage as a character with 50 strength just having a maxed out lightning/fire weapon - and then you'd have put all your points into vitality, endurance, resistance and attunement. Hardly balanced, if you ask me.

15. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There were 1-hit traps in Demon's Souls? Since when? I remember the exploding balls and arrow traps (Including the Iron-Maiden thingy), but I remember being able to survive them if I had 100% health.

@Lightning Reduction

I'm disappointed because I farmed a bunch of Titanite Chunks to get a +4 Whip, so the time might not've been worth it.

16. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    I never survived arrow traps. Probably because my first character wasn't all too tanky when it mattered.

As for titanite chunks, I average 2 chunks per run through lower New Londo with 6 humanity and covetous gold serpent ring on. Have you had less luck? :O

17. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've got around 60 humanity and am using the gold serpent ring and I usually get 0-1 chunks. The most I've gotten is 3, and I've done about 12-16 trips.

On the patch topic, I hope they increase Crystal weapon damage by like, 200 so they're actually used.

18. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I farm for chunks in the last level, before the boss. Two of those black knights 100% drop one.

But 60 humanity? Are you on NG+? Or have you been cheating? :p

19. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pvp Red Eye Stone, if you die you can collect your bloodstain. The bloodstain spawns where you were at before you're summoned, so its kinda hard to loose it. (This is on my PvP build, who is SL 22. My main character only has around 4 humanity.) The main reason I keep it so high is because it increases your defensive stats by a considerable amount.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTcqp5RzEw&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  20. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, it increases defense as well? I thought only curse resistance and item find chance. It's why I never bothered to have more than 3 humanity at a time. I basically only use it to kindle and duel.

Nice video. :D

Also, something kind of weird happened to me. I'm just in NG+ on the first level, and I was invaded twice. But both times by people of a much lower level than mine (dead in one hit). It's like they were on normal NG, and invaded me on NG+ or something.