• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Huh.

New plan: DROP EVERYTHING ALL DAY ERRY DAY :D

Instead of feeding things to Frampt, I'll drop them in places vagrants would be horribly impractical to fight. Like by the mass of souls surrounded by 3 darkwraiths.

The 50/100/1000 souls isn't much anyway.

Level 11
Another patch inbound, patch 1.04.

Dark Souls patch to rectify multiplayer issues

From Software has announced a new patch for Dark Souls, to address a handful of issues including some glaring multiplayer problems.

The patch details, posted on the developer’s website, have been translated on Neogaf, but apparently list just a few examples of changes planned, with more details to come soon.

* Fixes to certain spells and effects:
- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
- Tranquil Walk of Peace
- Ring of Fog, etc.
* Unlimited uses of magic and items
* Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
* Adjustments to the player matching conditions
* Loading problems when switching between maps

Of particular note is the matchmaking fix, as there have been reports of problems for those trying to find co-op buddies or invade other players, and a change to the Ring of Fog, which has rapidly become notorious for its overpowered use in PvP situations.

No date on the patch yet, which is listed only for PlayStation 3 at present, and will bring the game to version 1.04. From apologises for the inconvenience and promises an update soon.

This is at least the third patch the PS3 version has seen so far; online functions were disabled completely shortly after Japanese launch to fix multiplayer problems, and a second patch resolved a number of system freeze problems.

Ring of Fog nerf, thank god, it looks like they'll be removing the infinite soul trick and invulnerability via Great Magic Shield. (Yay)

However, it looks like Lightning and Fire weapons will be receiving a nerf.

Level 1
dark souls in Xbox360 or should i say the dark souls it self is so hard XD once you died all of your souls will be gone but you can go to the place where you have died and get the souls you've lost XD

Level 13
Ehhh, it is a fairly hard game, really. At least when compared to other games.

You don't often see RPGs in which you take half your health in damage in addition to flinching from a regular enemy.

Or one in which a boss which is hard in itself suddenly becomes two (or four) bosses.

but yeah, not THAT hard. Be happy it doesn't have instakill traps a la Demon's Souls.

edit: Patch sounds amazingly awesome and I love From Software.

editedit: why "However" on lightning and fire weapon nerfs? They really were OP. You'll be putting out as much damage as a character with 50 strength just having a maxed out lightning/fire weapon - and then you'd have put all your points into vitality, endurance, resistance and attunement. Hardly balanced, if you ask me.

Level 11
There were 1-hit traps in Demon's Souls? Since when? I remember the exploding balls and arrow traps (Including the Iron-Maiden thingy), but I remember being able to survive them if I had 100% health.

@Lightning Reduction

I'm disappointed because I farmed a bunch of Titanite Chunks to get a +4 Whip, so the time might not've been worth it.

Level 13
I never survived arrow traps. Probably because my first character wasn't all too tanky when it mattered.

As for titanite chunks, I average 2 chunks per run through lower New Londo with 6 humanity and covetous gold serpent ring on. Have you had less luck? :O

Level 11
I've got around 60 humanity and am using the gold serpent ring and I usually get 0-1 chunks. The most I've gotten is 3, and I've done about 12-16 trips.

On the patch topic, I hope they increase Crystal weapon damage by like, 200 so they're actually used.

Level 11
I farm for chunks in the last level, before the boss. Two of those black knights 100% drop one.

But 60 humanity? Are you on NG+? Or have you been cheating? :p

Pvp Red Eye Stone, if you die you can collect your bloodstain. The bloodstain spawns where you were at before you're summoned, so its kinda hard to loose it. (This is on my PvP build, who is SL 22. My main character only has around 4 humanity.) The main reason I keep it so high is because it increases your defensive stats by a considerable amount.

Also:

Last edited:
Level 22
Oh, it increases defense as well? I thought only curse resistance and item find chance. It's why I never bothered to have more than 3 humanity at a time. I basically only use it to kindle and duel.

Nice video. :D

Also, something kind of weird happened to me. I'm just in NG+ on the first level, and I was invaded twice. But both times by people of a much lower level than mine (dead in one hit). It's like they were on normal NG, and invaded me on NG+ or something.

Level 13
Also, something kind of weird happened to me. I'm just in NG+ on the first level, and I was invaded twice. But both times by people of a much lower level than mine (dead in one hit). It's like they were on normal NG, and invaded me on NG+ or something.

So you were that level 69 fag with a furyblade I innocently invaded (and died horribly to) as a level 3 cleric.

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU

on that note, I did experiment slightly with this on that cleric. I used the 4 red eye thingies you get at the start of the game - I invaded a wanderer at roughly my level, who I killed, and a level 69 guy with a rageblade, who instantly killed me. 2 invasions failed.

The implication is that there is no SL boundary for invading, only co-op. And the co-op boundary is ridiculously small.

Last edited:
Level 22
Haha, invading a level 69 player on level 3. Tough luck. xD

I'm thinking it might depend on the invasion items you're using. Because the now 4 low level players that invaded me were all red spirits. So they must've used those red eye orbs (or whatever they're called), just like you. But there are about three other ways to invade.

Level 11
Do you know about Darkmoon Covenant Ring/Blue Eye Orb? How about Red Eye Orb (I assume that's the name)?

The Darkmoon covenant requires you to obtain the Darkmoon Senance? Ring found in the Catacombs. You have to wear it and go to Anor Londo at turn the spinning tower twice, so that it won't turn anymore. (So the top floor connects to the Painting.) Go down the spinning tower's staircase with the ring equipped and a statue will disappear.

Apparently, the Darkmoon Covenant Ring (Given to you once you're in the covenant) works similarly to how the Cat's Ring works. You'll be summoned to invade a person in Twilight Anor Londo. (/Spoilers contained)

The Blue Orb works similar to the Red Eye Orb, but you'll only invade a person who is considered guilty. You have to kill them and if you do, you'll receive a dried up ear.

Red Eye Orb works identically to the Black Eye Stone in Demon's Souls. Its obtained from joining the Darkwraith Covenant and increasing your rank to +1.

Level 13
Yeah, you're borked if you don't get summoned early on. I keep a soapstone sign down all the time, and I still had to make a new character and camp the church for hours to get the requirement down to 35. >_>

Level 13
I'm still unclear on as to what the hell the hornet ring does. The wiki says Boosts Critical Strike damage by 50%. Does that apply to backstabs and parries (not that you'll ever parry because the online is usually laggy)?

Also, people at 120+ will probably be using scaling weapons, which for the most part deal physical damage (unless you're a snob with dat B/B/B/B scaling greatsword), making paladin's armour better against them. And even then, paladin's armour is better against everything, isn't it?

As long as you can still roll fast and don't depend on one-shotting your enemies (which is cheese and makes you a horrible person), I'd say go for paladin's.

Incidentally, I've been considering Leeroy's armour for my endgame build (though black iron is probably better). But the wiki doesn't mention its fully levelled up stats. Could you post them?

Level 11
Hornet Ring causes the critical damage animations to change (The backstab animation is shorter and the opponent is kicked much further, the parry animation causes you to stab them twice.), I inflict 700 damage without the Hornet Ring, and 1000 with it. (Parries inflict around 1300 damage with the ring, but as you said, its hard to parry players.)

I truly depend on Combustion, which inflicts around 500 damage. A hard-hitting backstab is nice, but as you said, its cheap when it 1-hits them.

The +4 paladin chestplate has around 100 stats in the physical part, but is lacking in the element resists. (Around 40-60 for the elements.)

Level 13
So I upgraded the dragon king greataxe to +5.

It deals 40 less damage than the Demon's greataxe +15 at 50 strength.

It needs 50 strength to wield.

Wat.

Additionally, progressing at high speed through NG+. Gonna reach NG++ in no time at this rate. It's funny, I didn't even have the motivation to play through stonefang tunnel on my first NG+ in Demon's Souls. Guess Dark Souls is even more immersive.

Do any of you have problems with the game freezing completely? It pisses me off. I was just about to summon 2 phantoms to breeze through Anor Londo, then it froze.

Level 13
From lied!

I was just summoned by a level 70 player. I'm level 89. Yeah, that's right, more than twice the difference From said was cap.

Level 13
Nope. I only recently started being human all the time.

A friend of mine has tried using eyes of death a lot, to no avail.

edit: People seem to prefer direct pvp, anyway.

Level 22
I've been affected by a gravelord a couple of times. Only noticed it 1 time (the other times they probably died before anything could happen).
What happened was that when I killed a creep, a red spirit clone of that creep could spawn somewhere nearby. They are a bit stronger than usual as well, I believe.

Not many people seem to be using this covenant though. Mostly Forest, Darkmoon, and Darkwraith.

Level 11
http://trendygamers.com/2011/11/02/dark-souls-patch-1-04-information/

Patch 1.04 notes

Notably:

Tranquil Walk nerfed.
Ring of Fog users are now targetable.
Scaling is useful now, lightning weapons nerfed (-5%).
Magic is nerfed.
Pyromancy scaling nerfed from 270 to 230.
Gold-hemmed clothing is nerfed.
Increased drop rate of humanity.
Dragon-head glitch and magic shield glitch will be fixed.

Giant Blacksmith will sell Twinkling Titanite for 8,000 souls.
Domnhal of Zena will sell the Master Key.

Also, I tested the Eye of Death.

It has the same effect as using a red soap stone, only they invade you.
They invade as a 'Spirit of Vengeance' and are blue.

I went full-dick on the invader and killed him when he was bowing, and he dropped an Eye of Death.
Yeah, Gravelord Servant sucks.

Last edited:
Level 13
ohdearchrist I will be OP

Normal weapons buffed. By a lot. My greataxe will pass 600 damage.

That's it, fuck greatsword of Artorias. I'm just getting 99 strength.

Level 22
Hm, I think standard weapons don't need to be buffed. A level 15 great axe already does more damage than about all rare weapons (except maybe some dragon weapons and Smough's Hammer). Rare weapons are supposed to do more damage than normal weapons, so I don't really get this.

And too bad there's no way the cheaters will be punished or something. People are walking around with millions of souls. Just check any of the top indicated players. All cheaters.

But lots of good stuff as well. Being able to buy twinkling titanite is really great. And ''Lowered requirements for Sunbro covenenant (requirements moved from 50 to 25. 3/4 assists should do the trick)''!

I went full-dick on the invader and killed him when he was bowing, and he dropped an Eye of Death.

Pff, really? :p
Happend to me twice. Hate it when they do that.

Level 11
I only killed him like that to see if they drop anything, I didn't want to have to wait another hour to see if they'd actually come to me.
I did apologize to him. :/

I'm a little disappointed with the Twinkling Titanite being purchasable, I kinda wish they just increased the drop rate for it.

Level 13
This is why we can't have nice things, Derp. I don't even bow because of that. :<

Also, pretty sure demon's greataxe is better than Smough's. I need 1 more strength to find out.

Why should Smough's be better, though? It's easier to get.

edit: ...try sniping things while wearing a symbol of avarice. I dare you.

Level 22
Smough's Hammer's base damage when fully upgraded is 415. One of the highest in the game (I think only some dragon weapons do more).

But I'm not sure why you keep going with the Demon's Greataxe? Even the normal Greataxe does more damage, and that's including scaling (I upgraded them both to level 10 to check). And the move sets are the same.
I did read that Demon's Greataxe does more stamina damage on a forum. But I'm not sure if that's true.

Or why not use the Great Club? Has A scaling as well, and a higher base damage than the Demon's Greataxe. Or the Black Knight Greataxe (I'm using this right now), which does slightly less damage (I think), but has a lot more range.

Level 13
Oh God, imagine that axe with an S scaling.

And yeah, it's really goddamn good for PvP. The sweeping attack just doesn't miss, and it takes a huge chunk off the enemy health. My PvP tactic is basically just standing still, blocking everything the enemy does and R2ing if he comes close. It usually works.

Also, Greataxe is better than Demon's Greataxe? This is news to me. I'll upgrade my Greataxe to +15 and see if it's true.

As for the Great Club, it has a shitty move set. I was using a basic club up until I got my dragon's tooth, and I hated its move set so much. All I did was backstab things then R2 them because it was so lame. :<

Level 22
That would be nice, an S scaling. I don't believe there are ANY S strength scaling weapons yet?

But I didn't know Demon's Greataxe had a different move set than the normal one. Will check it out again.

By the way, I got summoned two out of three times today, within a minute (on the last level). I helped someone beat a boss, finally! :p
The other guy wanted to duel with other teams. Was fun as well.
The third time my summoning sign vanished. Probably because other people were spamming it too much.

Level 11
At the moment, the only S scaling weapons are catalysts, and each of them have their own drawbacks. The S scaling pyromancy catalyst costs around 300k souls to fully upgrade, the magic catalyst cuts all charges in half.

I missed Soltaire, I took a detour route. Do you guys know if he re-appears later so I can get the soap stone?

Level 13
If he's gone from his original location I don't know what the hell is going on. Don't you have your soapstone from the first playthrough? Try checking his Anor Londo location.

Also, the S scaling pyromancy thing only has an S scaling for bashing your enemies with it, which is pretty worthless.

There's one more S-scaling though; the Black Bow of Pharis. I'm using it currently, and the S-scaling on it is really nothing to write home about. I get a tad more than 100 bonus damage from my 20 dex with a +15 bow.

Level 11
This is on another PvP account, more of a tank type character than anything.
I have the master key and instead of taking on the Taurus Demon, I killed Havel and took a route through the forest. I tried going to Soltaire's location and ge wasn't there. He isn't at Anor Londo, the hell place (Can't spell its name), nor at the Sunlight Altar. :|

I didn't know about the bow's S rating, though I kinda think its useless with the Dragonslayer Bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.