• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changes to Legendary Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some changes to Legendary Souls are incoming for the next update:
Instead of granting a random distribution of stats, they will now have a fixed distribution based on the soul model and unique names instead of generated names based on prefixes and suffixes.

This change is basicly sparked by the idea that legendary souls should kind of have a unique feel to them and ultimately always are useful for certain classes, instead of being completely random, with 90% of the results ending up being inferior to blue souls.

Also, some of the less popular soul auras will be removed to reduce the buff spam in the status UI.

Not sure how I will implement the importing, though. It might be possible that your old legendary souls will remain the way they are currently and only newly found ones are affected. However, it could also be that your old souls will be changed once the update comes.
Either way, this is here as an information for you so that you crazy people out there stop farming legendary souls on purpose until the change happens.

Level 3
Since (good) red souls don't exist etc, how will it impact blue souls if at all?

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I'd say simply remove the old legendaries. Perhaps turn them into blues. I can see why some people will dislike this, but having useless legendaries seems to make too much cluttering in my opinion.

Level 8
This has nothing to do with souls, but I don't think it needs a new thread so:
What exactly is the point of having to wait for night before every single attempt at the Mystic class quest? I didn't really notice it before since the quest didn't seem particularly difficult to me, but by now I've seen many newer (and even a few older) players struggling with it. For everyone I've seen that did struggle, the most frustrating part was not the quest itself but having to sit around for night time.

The guard says there will be too many guards and clerics during the day, but at night the castle is packed with crap anyway. No other class has to wait like this, it's just an unnecessary waste of time for only Mystics.

If you really want it to be time-restricted then all the classes should be similar, like midnight for Thief and noon for Squires or it really doesn't make any sense.

Level 3
This is kinda relevant to legendary souls. Did you consider raising reqlvl of red soul drop to be above that one of protector? I see that you are tailoring them to have unique feel and sense of accomplishment, but mindlessly grinding protector for reds doesn't make them unique or anything. It only cheapens them. Tbh, I'd be fine if lvlreq would be changed to 29 to start D3 as one possible red souls farming place since it does take some time, even if 29 feels a bit arbitrary. I'd even go as far to increase chance to drop from dungeon bosses compared to outdoor ones to motivate people running those areas instead.

I did some protector runs, enough to get 5 reds (4 were deleted upon inspection, 1 is keeper that will never actually be used) and I don't think such grindish way of obtaining them makes them feel rewarding. I've seen red soul drop from hill giant and reaction was *HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT* rather than protector's *took you long enough*. It only messes up natural gameplay, and relative ease of obtaining always useful soul with aura to keep them apart from blues will only make blues (and greens) not worth picking very fast.

And sure, people that will want to grind them in the end WILL grind them one way or another. It should however discourage grinding them and make them more "Legendary" than they are now with option of 40-60 sec protector grinding.

Level 9
To prevent grinding you can prevent players out of boss experience range taking reds from him (or any soul). It will force you to kill someone who at least doesn't get one-shot/rape from you (or isn't supposed to get). Also it would be cool if some end game bosses would have unique red soul dropping from them, like actually their soul.

Level 4
To prevent grinding you can prevent players out of boss experience range taking reds from him (or any soul). It will force you to kill someone who at least doesn't get one-shot/rape from you (or isn't supposed to get). Also it would be cool if some end game bosses would have unique red soul dropping from them, like actually their soul.

I think the unique red soul dropping is an awesome feature

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I agree with Froz.

I don't like the idea of boss specific souls though: on paper it sounds good, but the whole idea of the soul system is randomisation and therefore in practice, unfortunately, it won't be a good addition.

Level 9
I don't like the idea of boss specific souls though: on paper it sounds good, but the whole idea of the soul system is randomisation and therefore in practice, unfortunately, it won't be a good addition.

Fortunately, not that much in new system as it is now. Anyway it is addition, rather than change. You randomly get most of them and some can be static, so I can't imagine how it can spoil situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.