• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I dunno if this has a thread yet (but I couldn't see one on the front-page), and the Demon's Souls thread didn't get much popularity, but here goes.

Demon's Souls is getting a spiritual successor called Dark Souls. It's supposedly even harder.

It also has a web... site? The graphics and gameplay look great, the concept art is just awesome, and its predecessor was an amazing game.

Am I the only one who's excited by this? :O

Last edited:
Level 11
Lol i already made a thread for this, but its dead now :p, but ya im also super excited about this! i don't care how hard they make it, its just gonna make it even more exhilarating!!

Level 13
I'm still playing Demon's Souls too, and yeah, I agree, except for the armour part. I have a barbarian, and when I got brushwood armour for him - man, he was unstoppable. He oneshots pretty much any lesser enemy and needs tops 5 attacks on the tougher ones, while also being nigh on unkillable.

If you're dex-based or mage, though, it is kinda useless, that I can agree on. For my dex monkey, I just roll around everywhere and get a few backstabs off, and mage... you know, Warding-spam any damage spell.

Allant, though, was ridiculously hard. Might be because I was a complete noob fighting him with my winged spear +7, but he was still ridiculously hard. I lost 10 levels to him or something on my first character. D:

Level 13
Gameplay itself looks freaking amazing, and PvP looks like it got more balanced (no more LOL I INSTAKILL YOU?), but it looks a tad.. easy. Even as compared to the first level of DS. I hope it gets a great deal harder.

Level 17
Remember since we have played this kind of game before, it is only natural if it feels easier. It'll be awesome don't worry ;)

Level 10
Well, the first boss is actually two. Like the Maneater boss. Also, remember that the guys who demo is utterly suck.
(They try to block the boar instead of rolling back/to the side.)

I'm thinking the a few of the bosses will be similar to Shadow of the Colossus, where you have to climb up their back and such - Half of the bosses are just too large to try to take out head on.

From what I've seen, you can jump, parrying seems slightly easier, there are small hatchets, the moon grass is now flasks, new fast-cast area of effect spells (similar to God's Wrath just faster), and some insane bosses. I don't think you enter 'soul form' now, you just loose more of your humanity every death. (Notice the changing 'You Died' and 'You Hallowed') This means no -50% health and +20% damage, sadly. However, the plot is pretty unique - I won't go into detail about it, just its... elaborate.

I'll definitely be choosing the Black Knight for the starting character. I'll be unequipping his plate armor, gauntlets, and helmet so he can roll swiftly, and begin dodging every attack as per normal. His starting spear will mean that I can turtle those dreglings, and hopefully those undead knights.

Level 13
I didn't pay that much attention to the starting classes, I was just disappointed that there were classes at all. It's a bit silly.

I find spears a bit... passive to play with. My favourite weapon in DS was the spear for my first game (god I sucked), but since then I've been hooked on curved swords mostly.

Also, meat cleaver. Hot damn that thing hits hard.

edit: still use the scraping spear for PvP. Nothing's more satisfying than getting angry messages from the black phantoms I killed complaining about how it's unfair that I killed them in addition to their having to pay upwards of 5000 souls for repairs.

Level 13
I liked curved swords mainly for their speed.

Also, meat cleaver hits harder than blessed great axe +anything - meat cleaver hits harder than any other weapon in the game, hands down.

It has highest-rated scaling from both strength and dexterity in addition to a weaker but still significant scaling from faith, as well as a high base damage.

Level 10
I liked curved swords mainly for their speed.

Also, meat cleaver hits harder than blessed great axe +anything - meat cleaver hits harder than any other weapon in the game, hands down.

It has highest-rated scaling from both strength and dexterity in addition to a weaker but still significant scaling from faith, as well as a high base damage.
The Meat Cleaver's base damage is terrible. Sure, if you have even stats with Strength and Dexterity, its great. For a Faith- based build, the best weapons in the game are the Great Axe, Large Sword of Moonlight, or a Blessed Greatsword.

Saying the Meat Cleaver is the best depends on your build. Sure, if you have a balanced stats character, you'll do okay. The best set up possible is having an minimum soul level of around 20-30 and have the Northern Regalia and a Black World Tendancy, which, at this soul level, will always hit harder than the Meat Cleaver. However, this is extremely hard to achieve.

My Blessed Great Axe +4 does around 400-470 per hit. With a Meat Cleaver, I deal around 340-380.

My strength is 26, and my faith is around 36.

Meat Cleaver Base Damage + Slight Health Restore on Attacks: 90/90 (180) + S/S/-/A

Great Axe +4 Base Damage + Constant Health Regeneration: 172/170 (342) + E/E/-/B

Northern Regalia Base Damage PBWT: 270/270 (540) + -/-/-/-

Because my PvP character is designed to hit hard with a low soul level, the stat scaling is useless to me. However, the Meat Cleaver would likely out damage my Axe if I had 50+ stats.

Maybe we should start a group? o.o And ramble more there? :p

Last edited:
Level 10
We really should make a group.

I was basing my argument off potential damage fyi.
Oh... well, in that case.... XD

I guess I should've specified that more...

NEW WEAPON:

OFFENSIVE SHIELDS!

Picture below, look at the shield with the dagger

Hopefully it'll be ingame.

Attachments

• darksouls.JPG
    darksouls.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 7,082
Last edited:
Level 13
Being a boss like a boss was pretty awesome.

I recall trolling there. I had 99 of four grass types, and wore my tower shield. I used no other weapon than the storm ruler.

Knock down enemy repeatedly.

Don't let him archstone. NEVER. EVER.

I let him win at ~40 minutes in.

Also, DS had offensive shields. Well, shield. But it sucked.

Have you tried two-handing the tower shield and bashing enemies? Shit was so cash.

Level 11
From: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dar...c_id=m-1-59672926&pid=606312&tag=topics;title

===========================
===========================

All of the information below is either based off of the videos listed in that first topic, gameplay seen on the now-defunct livestream in the second topic, or from interviews and previews before E3.

New/altered combat mechanics
-Players can now perform a running jump by pressing the X button while sprinting and do a strong leaping attack by pressing forward+R2
-Forward+R1 push is replaced by a kick for some weapons
-Both players and enemies can attack and be attacked while climbing ladders; players can be knocked off of ladders by repeat attacks

-More degrees of weight encumbrance for rolling; there’s now a roll below fast speed but above “limply thrown brick” speed
-Rolls have less invulnerability
-Player can be hit while recovering from being knocked down

-Heavy armor allows its wearer to not flinch when hit by weaker attacks
-Headshots with arrows/bolts do critical damage
-Crossbows can be reloaded while moving
-Multiple helpings of Est can be drunk at once by repeatedly pressing square, adding to the animation instead of restarting it

Bonfires
-Resting at a bonfire refills your Est flasks and causes you to spawn there if you die
-Enemies respawn every time you rest at a bonfire
-Bonfires can be enhanced at the cost of humanity; doing so gives you double the normal amount of Est flasks when you rest at that bonfire
-When another online player enhances the last bonfire you visited, you are given an extra Est flask
-Bonfires become inactive if the player is invaded

-Will not use dedicated servers; uses a new From Software designed peer-to-peer network system

Passive online elements
-Player outline phantoms return; they become more detailed the closer they are to a bonfire
-Bloodstains return
-The Select button is now dedicated to the Emote menu
-Emotes now change based on your character’s decided role (E.G.: evil knight, holy templar)
-Leaving messages is now done through a hotbar item, like with soul signs
-Message system has been made more intuitive with a mad-libs style tiered selection system

Active online elements<
-Player count increased to host + 3 other players; can be any combination of enemy or ally, with multiple invasions now possible
-Blue Phantoms return, this time white or gold in color; same summoning system as Demon’s Souls
-Black Phantoms return, using the same invading system as Demon’s Souls
-Black Phantoms now spawn in safer zones away from the host’s spawn, usually among strong enemies
-Black Phantoms can no longer hurt enemies

-Neither allied phantoms nor invaders can heal using Est jars while in another world; they must rely on magic spells if they heal at all
-The spell Great Heal can heal nearby allies, making it ideal for co-op play

-New soul sign, Gravelord: using it causes 3 random player’s worlds to become “infected” and Black Phantom versions of regular enemies to appear, making the stages harder
-If the players can find the sign left by the Gravelord user, they can use it to invade his/her world; killing the Gravelord user removes the infection from all of the worlds
-New, green-colored soul sign: laying it down and using the spell Great Heal in the nearby vicinity causes all players near the soul sign in their worlds to be healed

Humanity
-Humanity is measured via the flame next to the health and stamina bars
-Is tied into the game’s story
-Dying while you have humanity results in the message “You Died” and a loss of humanity
-Dying when you have no humanity results in the message “You Hollowed”
-Being in a hollowed state gives your character a zombie-like appearance

-Killing invaders gives the player +1 humanity
-Killing the host gives invaders +1 humanity
-Recovering your bloodstain gives you back the souls you had, any humanity you lost upon death, and a full heal

Enemies
-Enemies are no longer easily evaded and will pursue the player over long distances if they attempt to run
-Ranged attacking enemies will switch to close-range weapons if the player gets too near
-Most humanoid enemies will heal using an Est flask if given the opportunity
-Some regular enemies can backstab and parry and riposte the player
-Some enemies have the ability to grapple the player, ala the Mindflayers from Demon’s Souls

Magic
-Catalysts/Talisman’s return and are used in the same way, but now have different appearances
-Magic now uses a charge system: each spell has a limited number of uses, varied based on the strength of the magic

World events
-Certain world events, when triggered in one game, will echo through to all players in the nearby area in their games; for example, when one player rings the church bell to finish the demo, all other players hear it as well

Oath system
-Oath system determines the role you play in the game and whether you want to help or compete against other players
-System is based around in-game religious beliefs
-Player humanity level is likely related in some way to which oaths you can take

Demo specific information
-Demo area built specifically for E3; will differ slightly in actual game
-6 classes in the E3 build are not actually starting classes; they were crafted specifically to demonstrate potential playstyles (Soldier, Knight, Witch) different parts of the online interaction (Pyromancer, Black Knight), and to function as an easy-mode (Solaire of Astoria)

Level 17
Magic
- Catalysts/Talisman’s return and are used in the same way, but now have different appearances
- Magic now uses a charge system: each spell has a limited number of uses, varied based on the strength of the magic

A charge system?
I don't like charge systems :mad:

Level 13
I think a charge system sounds good. Better for PvP, that's for sure. Plague- and poison clouds in PvP - oh God.

You have been plagued and poisoned! but you cure it and engage your enemy. You're crushing him, but he's all trololo roll away trololo spices trololo plague/poison rinse and repeat trololo you have been defeated.

Level 13
So what does everyone think of the game?

I think it's better than Demon's Souls, that's for sure. The online is god-awful, though; no longer can you coordinate to co-op with a friend. In addition, scaling is too weak and covenants are too easy to break (Mushroom falls off cliff, you have sinned). Aside from that, I have no complaints, really.

I just killed Pinwheel in the catacombs today and joined the forest hunters. I've been playing non-stop all weekend. >:D

Level 11
So what does everyone think of the game?

I think it's better than Demon's Souls, that's for sure. The online is god-awful, though; no longer can you coordinate to co-op with a friend. In addition, scaling is too weak and covenants are too easy to break (Mushroom falls off cliff, you have sinned). Aside from that, I have no complaints, really.

I just killed Pinwheel in the catacombs today and joined the forest hunters. I've been playing non-stop all weekend. >:D

I'm already in NG+.

I started as a Thief, I killed the Asylum Demon without running and got its hammer. (Killed it with the Broken Sword.)

I put in roughly ~400 hours into Demon's Souls, so the 'difficulty' of Dark Souls isn't too bad for me. The biggest difference difficulty wise is that you're actually fighting more than one enemy at a time and that there is a significant increase in the number of traps.

I've noticed small differences, such as fall damage actually doing something, four different types of rolling speed, shields being effective against bosses, rolling timing slightly off, etc. This is excluding the obvious differences like the use of Estus, open world, etc...

I went in the order of:

Asylum -> Taurus -> Gargoyle -> Stray -> Quelaag -> Butterfly -> Golem -> Sif -> Capra -> Gaping -> Discharge -> Pinwheel -> Priscella -> Ornstein/Smough -> Firesage -> Centipede -> Bed -> Four Kings -> Seath -> Nito -> Gwyndolin -> Gwyn

Hardest boss for me was Ornstein/Smough, I think I died six times, most bosses take me only 0-2 deaths to beat. (Gwyn took me two deaths to beat, to put it roughly.) Easiest boss was either Butterfly or Pinwheel. Most fun boss for me was probably the Stray demon, as I was like soul level 17 when I killed it. (Minimum requirements to use the Black Knight Sword, no other stats modified.) I personally think the coolest boss was the Gaping Dragon.

Online is... poor. Eye of Death doesn't work, its really hard to invade others for dragon scales, etc.

The only covenant that are easy to break are Forest and Darkmoon, Forest due to the glitches and Darkmoon due to curiosity.
HOWEVER, to complete the game some covenants are required to be broken, like Gravelord Servant.

Also, about the scaling - with 50 strength and 18 dexterity, my Black Knight Sword +5 deals roughly 460 damage. Off of memory, the sword has a scaling value of C, and that number turns out to be a bonus of around +160. So yeah, the scaling is reduced by alot.

Last edited:
Level 13
i would get this game right now if it wasn't for uncharted 3, BF3, and Skyrim =\

GET

THEM

ALL

I have no idea what BF3 is and I haven't played Uncharted games, but Skyrim's gonna be amazing, and the two others are presumably amazing.

It's just 200 - errr, sorry, capitalism - 220-240 euros!

Level 11
You could just, like, you know, not do it. :|

Wish I could play more. Gosh darned OCD.

Uh, it messes up the scoreboards. Check the Chaos Servant's roster, there's players with like 12k humanity. The Demon's Souls the scoreboards were somewhat accurate, excluding the Japanese version.

The duplication will also lead to alot more OP black phantoms, which is obnoxious. Usually if I'm going to be invaded I want a decent fight that lasts more than 5 seconds. :|

Speaking of overpowered builds, I think I've found one that's pretty good. Divine Avelyn +10 (Triple Shot Crossbow) with lightning bolts, Lightning Great Scythe +5, Fire Shotel +10 with the spell Tranquil Walk will decimate pretty much any build.

Level 13
I've decided that PvP really isn't my thing for now.

Started a new character because my first one had a derp stat distribution, and mainly levelled strength.

I am now Havel. Considering exchanging my dragon's tooth for a demon's greataxe. Dunno which is best at its peak.

Level 22
The basic level Dragon Tooth damage is almost as high (if not higher) than the Demon's Greataxe on max level though, I believe. Even the regular Greataxe does more damage (using one right now).

Or am I thinking about the wrong axe? You mean the one the taurens use in the lava level, right?

Level 11
Dragon Tooth only has a stat scaling of D, at 50 strength expect a scaling of around 125. (Using a crappy formula.)

When fully upgraded, the Dragon Tooth should inflict 435 damage, it never breaks, and provides +20 to Magic and Fire defense. It uses Dragon Scales to upgrade. From experience, +20 defense will save probably 20-30 health per hit, and its about equivalent to an extra helmet. The never breaking part is convenient, but it won't really save any souls.

The Demon's Greataxe damage:

Normal +15 285 + A/-/-/- Stat Scaling (Expect around 150 scaling damage with 50 strength.)
Divine +10: 427 + D/E/-/B Stat Scaling + 10% Damage vs Undead (Expect around 130 scaling with 30 faith, 50 strength.)
Occult +5: 417 + E/D/-/A Scaling + 10% Damage vs Holy Units (Expect around 115 scaling with 30 faith, 50 strength.)

So the Greataxe with Occult/Divine upgrades with say, 30 Faith will likely inflict around 550 damage.
The tooth will inflict around 560 damage when maxed out with 50 strength.
If your faith stat is low (>40), stick with the Tooth. If not, get the axe and upgrade to Divine or Occult.

Last edited:
Level 13
Derp, I didn't have the greataxe yet when I made that post. I do now, though.

Also, the scaling on the tooth is lower. The scaling on the axe, however, is much, much higher. With 50 strength I get +237 damage on a +10 demon's greataxe. As of now, though, I need 2 more endurance to even wield it.

It'll be hilarious. Even with the tooth, I am 2-shotting enemy players and most strong mobs. And I didn't even build for pvp.

Unrelatedly, co-op with strangers make me sad. Here I am, the symbol of badass, slamming gargoyles into the ground, tanking giant knights, taking some damage in the process... then the host won't heal me with his flasks, and I die to Smough's rush.

But I cannot be deterred! I try again. Host gets knocked off a ledge. FML

edit: I get +101 for the +2 tooth currently

Level 11
Welp, this means the A stats scaling prowess is significantly more powerful in Dark Souls, as I was using a Demon's Souls formula.

Twisted, post your character's stats, soul level, rings (I'm guessing Havel's & Ring of Divine Protection), and equipment if you can. I'd like to see what you're using. (I know Havel's Armor and what not, but other than that.)

Last edited:
Level 13
Let me start this off by telling you that A scaling does not equal A scaling. My club +10 gets +159 damage from my 50 strength, whereas my greataxe gets +237.

Rings are Havel's Ring and Ring of Favour and Protection; level is 60. Equipment is all Havel's, including greatshield.

Stats (11 if not mentioned):

13 vitality
22 endurance
50 strength

Level 11
Aight, sounds alot like a tank set-up. Its a surprisingly common set-up, I've fought many players with a set up similar to this. I usually end up backstabbing them, as they're pretty susceptible to it.

The scaling is actually based on the weapon's starting damage (Atleast with Demon's Souls), the formula I used to figure out scaling was:
D = Weapon Base Damage
S = Stat

A: 130 * (D * ( S / 99))
B: 110 * (D * (S / 99))
C: 90 * (D * (S / 99))
D: 85 * (D * (S / 99))
E: 12 * (D * (S / 99))

I don't know how accurate the formula is, but it at least explains why there's such a large difference in the scaling.

My current set up (A PvP build, work in progress)

(I dunno armor names, will be upgraded to +9 when I have access to Titanite Chunks.)
Pyromancy Hat +6
Dingy Chest Piece +6
Pyromancer Gauntlets +6
Bloodied Skirt +6

Weapons: Bandit Knife +6, Whip +10
Shields: Hollow Knight Shield +10, Pyromancer Flame +10

Rings: Hornet Ring, Dark Wood Ring (Ninja flip ring)

Stats:

Vitality: 12
Atonement: 16
Endurance: 9
Strength: 11
Dexterity: 15
Resistance: 10
Intelligence: 18
Faith: 11

Soul Level: 21

I am currently in Anor Londo.

I plan on upgrading the whip to electric, and having the dagger inflict magic damage. Backed with Pyromancies, there is no shield other than Havel's that I can't counter. At level 21, I don't think I'll have to worry 'bout that, and if they do happen to have it, I'll just stab them in the back as they'll be outrageously slow.

Any suggestions on the build?

Last edited:
Level 13
Nope.

so i herd ds has a shitty online system

edit: also, those things really should spawn in fixed locations. They tend to fail horribly and get stuck, according to online discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.