1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Hub' started by TwistedImage, May 22, 2011.

1. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dunno if this has a thread yet (but I couldn't see one on the front-page), and the Demon's Souls thread didn't get much popularity, but here goes.

Demon's Souls is getting a spiritual successor called Dark Souls. It's supposedly even harder.

It also has a web... site? The graphics and gameplay look great, the concept art is just awesome, and its predecessor was an amazing game.

Am I the only one who's excited by this? :O

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol i already made a thread for this, but its dead now :p, but ya im also super excited about this! i don't care how hard they make it, its just gonna make it even more exhilarating!!

3. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm actually still playing Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls was only really hard for about the first two-three levels, then I realized parrying is useless and shields are your friends.

I hope the do make it harder, and I hope armor actually does something this time around.

4. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm still playing Demon's Souls too, and yeah, I agree, except for the armour part. I have a barbarian, and when I got brushwood armour for him - man, he was unstoppable. He oneshots pretty much any lesser enemy and needs tops 5 attacks on the tougher ones, while also being nigh on unkillable.

If you're dex-based or mage, though, it is kinda useless, that I can agree on. For my dex monkey, I just roll around everywhere and get a few backstabs off, and mage... you know, Warding-spam any damage spell.

Allant, though, was ridiculously hard. Might be because I was a complete noob fighting him with my winged spear +7, but he was still ridiculously hard. I lost 10 levels to him or something on my first character. D:

5. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  6. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will update OP with new website.

7. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm excited for it, but it's gonna be a bitch to play through :p

8. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6sPHs2EQfc

9. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gameplay itself looks freaking amazing, and PvP looks like it got more balanced (no more LOL I INSTAKILL YOU?), but it looks a tad.. easy. Even as compared to the first level of DS. I hope it gets a great deal harder.

10. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Remember since we have played this kind of game before, it is only natural if it feels easier. It'll be awesome don't worry ;)

11. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, the first boss is actually two. Like the Maneater boss. Also, remember that the guys who demo is utterly suck.
    (They try to block the boar instead of rolling back/to the side.)

I'm thinking the a few of the bosses will be similar to Shadow of the Colossus, where you have to climb up their back and such - Half of the bosses are just too large to try to take out head on.

From what I've seen, you can jump, parrying seems slightly easier, there are small hatchets, the moon grass is now flasks, new fast-cast area of effect spells (similar to God's Wrath just faster), and some insane bosses. I don't think you enter 'soul form' now, you just loose more of your humanity every death. (Notice the changing 'You Died' and 'You Hallowed') This means no -50% health and +20% damage, sadly. However, the plot is pretty unique - I won't go into detail about it, just its... elaborate.

I'll definitely be choosing the Black Knight for the starting character. I'll be unequipping his plate armor, gauntlets, and helmet so he can roll swiftly, and begin dodging every attack as per normal. His starting spear will mean that I can turtle those dreglings, and hopefully those undead knights.

12. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    I didn't pay that much attention to the starting classes, I was just disappointed that there were classes at all. It's a bit silly.

I find spears a bit... passive to play with. My favourite weapon in DS was the spear for my first game (god I sucked), but since then I've been hooked on curved swords mostly.

Also, meat cleaver. Hot damn that thing hits hard.

edit: still use the scraping spear for PvP. Nothing's more satisfying than getting angry messages from the black phantoms I killed complaining about how it's unfair that I killed them in addition to their having to pay upwards of 5000 souls for repairs.

13. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Always used Blessed Great Axe +4 - I was soul level 40 or 50, damn, I could hit harder than the Meat Cleaver with that set up, and use God's Wrath & Second Chance - talk about over powered.

I never used Curved Swords mostly because they couldn't hit hard - and I tend to like massive weapons.

14. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    I liked curved swords mainly for their speed.

Also, meat cleaver hits harder than blessed great axe +anything - meat cleaver hits harder than any other weapon in the game, hands down.

It has highest-rated scaling from both strength and dexterity in addition to a weaker but still significant scaling from faith, as well as a high base damage.

15. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Rambling
    The Meat Cleaver's base damage is terrible. Sure, if you have even stats with Strength and Dexterity, its great. For a Faith- based build, the best weapons in the game are the Great Axe, Large Sword of Moonlight, or a Blessed Greatsword.

Saying the Meat Cleaver is the best depends on your build. Sure, if you have a balanced stats character, you'll do okay. The best set up possible is having an minimum soul level of around 20-30 and have the Northern Regalia and a Black World Tendancy, which, at this soul level, will always hit harder than the Meat Cleaver. However, this is extremely hard to achieve.

My Blessed Great Axe +4 does around 400-470 per hit. With a Meat Cleaver, I deal around 340-380.

My strength is 26, and my faith is around 36.

Meat Cleaver Base Damage + Slight Health Restore on Attacks: 90/90 (180) + S/S/-/A

Great Axe +4 Base Damage + Constant Health Regeneration: 172/170 (342) + E/E/-/B

Northern Regalia Base Damage PBWT: 270/270 (540) + -/-/-/-

Because my PvP character is designed to hit hard with a low soul level, the stat scaling is useless to me. However, the Meat Cleaver would likely out damage my Axe if I had 50+ stats.

Maybe we should start a group? o.o And ramble more there? :p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  16. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe we should.

I was basing my argument off potential damage fyi.

17. Archangel678

Archangel678

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    We really should make a group.

Oh... well, in that case.... XD

I guess I should've specified that more...

NEW WEAPON:

OFFENSIVE SHIELDS!

Picture below, look at the shield with the dagger

Hopefully it'll be ingame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  18. Gray_Fox

Gray_Fox

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't wait for this, Demon's Souls was an instant classic for me ;D
    I do hope they allow us to play as the boss again^^

19. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Being a boss like a boss was pretty awesome.

I recall trolling there. I had 99 of four grass types, and wore my tower shield. I used no other weapon than the storm ruler.

Knock down enemy repeatedly.

Don't let him archstone. NEVER. EVER.

I let him win at ~40 minutes in.

Also, DS had offensive shields. Well, shield. But it sucked.

Have you tried two-handing the tower shield and bashing enemies? Shit was so cash.

20. Gray_Fox

Gray_Fox

Resources:
    Resources:
    Never tried that but i do remember making people rly pissed off with my Scraping Spear XD
    ( it drains like 10% durability with each hit )