• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legacy of Kain - A recent survey by Crystal Dynamics about the franchise's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Indeed, it seems that following the acquisition of Crystal Dynamics by Embracer Group AB back in May, there is now a glimmer of hope that we might once again journey into the land of Nosgoth. For fans of the series, I would strongly recommend you to check out the survey sent out by Crystal Dynamics:

Legacy of Kain Franchise Survey

The survey is really interesting, and it's clear that one of the main questions is how to adapt a potential future LoK-game to a new gaming landscape, while still holding on to the core concepts. So while there are questions surrounding what you found to be the most important aspects (for me it was voice acting, narrative and the rich history of Nosgoth), there are also questions about which modern IP:s you would like to serve as sources of inspiration for future entries.

There was also a question centered around how we should bring LoK back: a remake, a remaster, a reboot, or a sequel. What I would LOVE to see is a return to either Soul Reaver 1 or Blood Omen 1 and modernize the gameplay (perhaps base it on popular third-person action games of similar genres). Art direction is so incredibly important to the atmosphere of a game, and as both Soul Reaver and Blood Omen would no doubt need to come up with a new visual identity, I really hope that they would stick to the original art direction. As much as I loved the Demon's Souls remake and admired the graphics, the original feel of Demon's Souls was gone, as they chose to go for a different art direction (and music as well). The same thing obviously goes for the voice acting; I don't know if anyone could top Simon Templeman, Michael Bell or Tony Jay.

It just felt that I needed to put these thoughts out there. :)

What do you think?

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I just hope they don't get the you know what type of politics in this one as mostly in every media of nowadays. I think the story is finished. It was even then pretty much stained with that Hylden story piece crap.
Remakes are not a good idea if they plan to add stuff around the original voice actor characters. One of them at least has died long ago, sadly.

Level 21
I agree that the story is more or less finished (I know that some people felt that Defiance ended in a cliffhanger), although some part of me would've still liked to see what the ideas were for Dark Prophecy. I remember watching gameplay stuff of the canceled Dead Sun a few years ago, and I can only describe that game as... unfortunate. It's obvious that a Legacy of Kain game would never work without Amy Hennig (I mean look at Blood Omen 2 and Dead Sun), so I think - at least for me - the news of a new project with Amy Hennig at the helm would actually sit well with me. If not a sequel, why not explore the fall of the Razielim or something? I have no doubt Simon Templeman could pull off a great Kain today.

I agree completely regarding the original voice cast. The latest remake of Medievil used the old voice files, which I thought was just wonderful. That would obviously be the best solution for Soul Reaver 1 (don't know if Blood Omen 1 voice files could be enhanced in any way?). But yeah, we sadly lost the Elder God, Janos, and Vorador, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.