• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create Models only with free tools

Level 11
For a while I have been looking through tutorials, but none of them have been working for me. I went to this one, and I got CLOSE to figuring out wtf im supposed to do. Please completely explain all steps 5-9 please, I dont get them at all :( I will +rep because this is the cloest tutorial Ive seen that teaches me anything, if you explain the steps better.

Level 30
I really want to learn modelling for my map. My first idea is making a shaman wich can attack with both hands instead of just the right, or left or wich one he now attacks with, and for second i would really like to know if there is a way to just make the model like mirror-copied as I want a right-handed footman. Can someone tell me how to do this or if they know a good tutorial? =)
+rep for help

Level 30
So I tried the tutorial but I got stuck at the UV mapping. I've made some drawings to show you what went wrong.

Attachments

• imageshack1.jpg
    imageshack1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 91
  • imageshack2.jpg
    imageshack2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 152
  • imageshack3.jpg
    imageshack3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 152
  • imageshack4.jpg
    imageshack4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 141
  • imageshack5.jpg
    imageshack5.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 90
  • imageshack6.jpg
    imageshack6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 139
  • imageshack7.jpg
    imageshack7.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 108
  • imageshack8.jpg
    imageshack8.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 130
  • imageshack9.jpg
    imageshack9.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 143
Level 30
last picture

you never mentioned clearly how to make the face uv mapping-something two-sided :(

Edit: Btw uploaded my result xD great tutorial but need some fixes as other already apointed. Where did you learn this? I mean is there some other good tutorials you know of?

Attachments

• imageshack10.jpg
    imageshack10.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 145
  • imageshack.jpg
    imageshack.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Level 1
Hey thanks for the tutorial but i got a problem the Vertex Modifier dosnt work :( it always messages at astarting "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" please help!

EDIT: Ok done, didnt read everything sorry for that

Last edited:
Level 1
can anyone help me?
I got problem on my VertexModify.
It say:
Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered : a file is missing or invalid.

Someone help me plz...

Level 26
can anyone help me?
I got problem on my VertexModify.
It say:
Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered : a file is missing or invalid.

Someone help me plz...

I think somewhere in this thread you can find an answer to your problem.

oh and I might make a video of the texture part once I start a new model :)

Edit: made the video. Will upload it on rapidshare, because it is too big to upload it here :/
On a side-note: I pretty much rushed it so the final result is not the best, but it is only suppost to show the basics and I guess that's what it does :>

Edit2: here it is: http://uploading.com/files/23d91bm7/UnwrappingByDonDustin.rar/

Last edited:
Level 2
Sorry for asking another question, but it's needed for me.

I got with VertexModify the error message of the decimal things, so I changed the decimal to '.'. But now, when I'm opening the program it just opens, without asking me for opening a geoset number, just like below.

Attachments

• Nothing special.jpg
    Nothing special.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 109
Level 2
"That´s why we have to put 1 half of the face on the other half. We are mirroring the face that way. That way we will have the whole head covered with the texture and not only 1 half of it. "

i dont understand how to do it. are you just deleteing one side?

Level 26
Sorry for asking another question, but it's needed for me.

I got with VertexModify the error message of the decimal things, so I changed the decimal to '.'. But now, when I'm opening the program it just opens, without asking me for opening a geoset number, just like below.

you have to open a model under file->open

"That´s why we have to put 1 half of the face on the other half. We are mirroring the face that way. That way we will have the whole head covered with the texture and not only 1 half of it. "

i dont understand how to do it. are you just deleteing one side?

take a look at the video tutorial that I have attached and you should be able to see what I mean.

Glo

Glo

Level 2
I got a problem with Magos. when I try to launch the program, it says that it is unable to open SplatData.txt. I'd appreciate help with that problem, I really want to learn modeling.

Level 1
Is it just me or is selecting vertexes in VM a painstaking effort ? For some odd reason it just takes an age to select them. What am I doing wrong ?

Edit: and when I try to load .bmp into VM->UVmp It just erros that its an invalid picture (runtime error : 481) I went step by step so I have no idea what I screwed up :(

Last edited:
Level 3
When I open Vertex Modifier, it says:" Warning: You are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting. Go to http://www.geocities.com/oinkertools/tutorials.html for instructions on changing that." I go to the site and it gives me this:"Sorry, the GeoCities web site you were trying to reach is no longer available.". Anyway I have no idea how to change the commas into periods. Any help? Thanks.

Level 11
Now we can move it to the position where the Magnatuar head is.
But we will still have to change the postition of many dots to get the best result. Save the new uv map.

It could be also possible that we want the back of the head to have another part of the texture. Then we will have to get to the vertex modifier and select the back of the head. Then we select Edit-> Invert Selection. You will see that the red dots become black and the black dots become red. Now we select delete and save the model as: 1modelname.mdl.
Then we select edit-> undo xyz. In this case it will be undo delete.
Then we select invert selection again and select delete again. you will see that this time we have removed the other part of the model.
We now we select: file-> merge geoset and will choose the 1modelname.mdl.
It could be possible now that the merged part is not selected.
That why we check the undo part.If there stands: undo merge then it´s ok but if there stands: undo selection we will have to select it so we only have to merged part selected. If our selected part is the front of the head we will select invert selection again.

i dont get this part could u explain it to me or make some pic plz

Level 3
It could be also possible that we want the back of the head to have another part of the texture. Then we will have to get to the vertex modifier and select the back of the head. Then we select Edit-> Invert Selection. You will see that the red dots become black and the black dots become red. Now we select delete and save the model as: 1modelname.mdl.
Then we select invert selection again and select delete again. you will see that this time we have removed the other part of the model.
That why we check the undo part.If there stands: undo merge then it´s ok but if there stands: undo selection we will have to select it so we only have to merged part selected. If our selected part is the front of the head we will select invert selection again.

You lost me here but I think you are trying to do that the front has knight texture and the back magnataur texture? Could anyone please explain to me how to do this? Thanks.

Level 26
ok I will try to explain it

It could be also possible that we want the back of the head to have another part of the texture. Then we will have to get to the vertex modifier and select the back of the head. Then we select Edit-> Invert Selection.
Invert selection does what the says: it inverts your selection. Selected dots will be unselected and unselected dots will be selected.

You will see that the red dots become black and the black dots become red. Now we select delete and save the model as: 1modelname.mdl.
this will be the visual "effect" of invert selection

xyz is just a variable name I have chosen for this tutorial.

we do this step because models are like a bunch of "nets", as each "string" is connected with another one. But sometimes we will have to change 1 big "net" into 2 or more smaller ones. And that's what we do in this step.

That why we check the undo part.If there stands: undo merge then it´s ok
I guess this part should be clear. We only want 1 "net" selected, else we are not able to unwrap it correctly. But sometimes the program selects random parts of the model after choosing merge geoset.

but if there stands: undo selection we will have to select it
"it" = undo

so we only have the merged part selected. If our selected part is the front of the head we will select invert selection again.
sorry, but there was a small typo: "we only have to merged part selected" should have been "we only have the merged part selected"(already changed it in my quote now)
and we will select invert selection because we want to change the wrap of the occiput and not of the forehead

Level 2
i just can't figure this out.. i have downloaded everything you said... and it all works to start, but in model editor i can't use/click Texture manager.. and all other managers.. i can only use/click the MPQ browser... please help me, because me and my friend have planned to make a warcraft map.. and we need to make many.. models.. PLEASE HELP

Level 3
It could be also possible that we want the back of the head to have another part of the texture. Then we will have to get to the vertex modifier and select the back of the head.

The back of the head? Is that the hair?I always seem to, whenever I try the texture of the back of the head, I get the texture of the magnataur head. So that the magnataur head is well where it should be, but also on the hair.

Last edited:
Level 2
Each time I open VertexModify, this error appears : "you are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting".

Then a BROKEN link to the creaters personal turtorial appears.
The problem does prevent me form opening the .MDL FILE.
The version is 1.4 . SHOULD I GET A NEWER VERSION? - - -Can somone please help me? Its the only potential error this far, and I'd really appreciate some help.

Level 26
I guess I'll just quote the page about this point:

Running the programs

There are some particular files need to run programs made in Visual Basic. You may already have them, so before you do this, try downloading and running one of the MDL programs. If it comes up with an error even before the program shows, then download and install the Visual Basic run-time files from Microsoft.

If you do that and it you get "Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid," then download that file here and put it in your C:\Windows\System\ folder.

If you are using commas as decimal points instead of periods, then you'll need to switch that to be able to load and save.

Windows 98. Go to Start -> Settings -> Control panel. Choose 'Regional Settings'. Go to the 'Number' tab. Change the decimal symbol to a period.

Windows XP. Open My Computer. On the side, click 'Control Panel'. Switch to 'Classic view' if you're not already there. Open 'Regional and Language Settings'. Send me what country it says your computer is using the setting for. Click 'Customize'. If you're decimal symbol is a ',' then change it to a '.' . You can always change it back after you've used the program. If it's already a period, then I have no idea what's wrong. Run the most recent version of the program in the thread.

Level 2
just to mention it.. is it magnataurblack... or MAMMOTHBLACK, because i can't find any 'magnataurblack'!! btw. can you explain it better on how to put the texture on the knight's head?? please make a video of this tutorial :D it would be very nice xD :p

Level 26
just to mention it.. is it magnataurblack... or MAMMOTHBLACK, because i can't find any 'magnataurblack'!! btw. can you explain it better on how to put the texture on the knight's head?? please make a video of this tutorial :D it would be very nice xD :p

the texture path for the magnataur is units/creeps/magnataur/magnataur.blp sorry if Iconfused you.
already made a video( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1360740-post118.html )

Level 2
everytime i click the remap button on the UV in vertex modifier i get this error:
"run-time error '6': overflow"

OMG.. i'm getting crazy of all this problems

Level 2
I think somewhere in this thread you can find an answer to your problem.

oh and I might make a video of the texture part once I start a new model :)

Edit: made the video. Will upload it on rapidshare, because it is too big to upload it here :/
On a side-note: I pretty much rushed it so the final result is not the best, but it is only suppost to show the basics and I guess that's what it does :>

Edit2: here it is: http://uploading.com/files/23d91bm7/UnwrappingByDonDustin.rar/

please make a video when you put the magnataur texture on the knight's_portrait, like in the tutorial, and it would be great if you explain why and how you do it, hope you got the point... please do it:cute:

Level 19
There seems to be a problem with my Geoset, Vertex and Animation Transfer... They all have this same error: 'COMDLG32.OCX', if any of you know this problem, could you help me please?

Level 1
The vertax modifyer gets error: "Warning, you are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not wotk with that setting. Go to "THE SITE THAT IT SAYS HERE IS BROKEN" for instructions on changing that.

Help?