• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create a Game Engine based on WC3 Map Editor by Hive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are at a time in history where we can change the world. What do we want to pass on to future generations?
That we just stay here on black box, stay on jass, don't look to find out where things come from and are we alone?
No! We wanna pass on this joy. This excitement.

When a mapper dreams big, everything falls into place.
Beyond the horizon, over the next hill; that's where we make discoveries.
That's the next frontier. It is in us to look farther and deeper.
It's deep within us. That is why we are all here. (Over the next hill.)
Beyond the horizon. Dream of tomorrow, tomorrow.

Long for the open source. Call for this adventure.
Dream BIG! Big, big, big, dream big! Dream of tomorrow, tomorrow.
Long for the open source, the open source.

There are lots of huge frozen thrones caught beyond sourcecode, sourcecode.
Huge frozen thrones! Seek out these other thrones.

Hundreds of other thrones! Caught beyond sourcecode, sourcecode, caught beyond sourcecode. Seek out these other thrones.

Audacious visions have the power to alter mind states. To change assumptions about what is possible.

Beyond the horizon. Over the next hill. That's where we make discoveries.
That's the next frontier. It is in us to look farther and deeper.
It's deep within us. That is why we are all here. (Over the next hill.)
Beyond the horizon.

If we are to discover life on another Warcraft, it will change the way everyone feels about what it is to be a living thing in the editor.

Last edited:
Level 9
Why make something like the wc3 World Editor?
My Unreal Engine is better than the Wc3 World Editor in every way. UE4 is also easier to use and learn.
Blueprints/C++ > Triggers/Jass
Unreal Editor > Terrain Editor
Unreal Marketplace Assets are 10 times better than wc3 models.
Sequencer is much easier to use than the wc3 camera system
Unreal Engine allows me to make sound cues but the wc3 Sound Editor doesn't.
UE4 source code is publicly available, World Editor is a fully closed source software.
If you make something from UE4, you get 100% profit, if the revenue is less than 1 million USD. For wc3, Blizzard owns everything you make.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
There is something to be said about the simplicity of the WE.
I have only tried unity but to me, it is more complex because it has a higher skill ceiling in terms of possibilities.
I have a hard time seeing something with more features being less complex. (especially if you can only handle GUI..)

Additionally, a bunch of your points are subjective. I dislike c++ with a passion and a lot of stuff in market places might be better but much of them cost money, while just about everything for wc3 modding is free. Not to mention that they often blend together fairly well because they tend to follow the wc3 art-style.

Obviously UE is better, just saying it is not for everyone.

Level 9
There is something to be said about the simplicity of the WE.
For unity, I can't say anything because I haven't used it.
I find UE4 easier and simpler than the wc3 WE mainly because the blueprints are easier to use and faster to create than the GUI triggers and JASS of the world editor.
But I believe its subjective, and not everyone may have the same experience.
Yeah, the Galaxy Editor (StarCraft II) is somewhere in between I guess?
For me, it is Unreal Engine 4 (easiest development tool) -> wc3 WE -> sc2 Galaxy Editor -> Blender Game Engine (hardest development tool, dont use it)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Well, I think his point is that modeling your third party tool after the wc3 WE is not ideal. Which I probably agree with, seeing as HiveWE should fulfill that need.
If you want to make real progress you'd want to go into new direction similar to proper game engines.

edit: although it is also illogical to expect that fans can make something as impressive as UE4 or even 5.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
(sorry for the necro. Just providing directions here)

It's been written about quite a lot in this forum. So I though why doesn't Hiveworkshops staff get together with the community and we together create our own game engine & editor for us all that's based on the wc3 world editor? So we can make standalone games instead. I bet a lot of people would pay for that to happen.
It's of course much easier said than done, but it would be a dream come true. "The Hive Editor" or something noice like that.

People who are interested in such a project are encouraged to visit:

Status
Not open for further replies.