• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Crash on importing texture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been making a map for a couple days, but the problems have already begun. I've made some textures for my map, but there's this special one which crashes the map upon loading. I've erased it with the MPQ editor, re-imported it, deleted it, etc., to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is actually the texture? Could that be the issue? Anyway, if you can test the texture or whatever...
In any case I can make a new one, but I already like this one.
P.D.: I tried it on Warcraft3Viewer and it seemed just fine...
Thanks for your help...

Attachments

• Headhunter.blp
    172.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
Yes, the problem is in the .blp file. I'm not really advanced in this kind of stuff, but you either did something wrong when saving this file, or something wrong when you converted that skin into .blp file.

This is how your skin looks in WE:
130199d1382730435-crash-importing-texture-headhunter.jpeg

- only the teamcolor is showed.

Attachments

• headhunter.jpeg
    headhunter.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 132
Level 2
Well, guess I'll have to remake the skin. I don't know what could have gone wrong... maybe something with the alpha? I ask because I used really dark colours. Beyond that, how did you manage to make it "work" in WE? Anyways, thanks a lot for your help!

I fixed it for you. Just use BLP Lab (check our Tools section) for your BLP conversions. If you would like to use Wc3Viewer instead, then convert the BLP to TGA (for editing) instead of the other formats. When saving the TGA, choose 32 bit rather than 24 bit to ensure that the alpha channel is properly preserved.

Import it under Textures\Headhunter.blp

It was likely an alpha channel issue. The jpeg header was also unusually small. Wc3viewer is a little strange in its conversions at times--it will sometimes generate extra mip maps or it'll screw up the alpha.

Attachments

• Headhunter.blp
    66.6 KB · Views: 83
Level 2
Thanks! it works now like a charm. I don't know why, but when I extracted the BLP it automatically made it a BMP, while what I always use is TGA. I converted it from BMP to TGA with GIMP, but I know that sometimes is not enough. Maybe that was the cause? Anyways, thank you all for your help. A great community this is...

Thanks! it works now like a charm. I don't know why, but when I extracted the BLP it automatically made it a BMP, while what I always use is TGA. I converted it from BMP to TGA with GIMP, but I know that sometimes is not enough. Maybe that was the cause? Anyways, thank you all for your help. A great community this is...
BMP contains only RGB channels. The Alpha channel got lost. You could extract the other alpha channel or extract the texture on top of the original to repair it.

Level 2
That's why some BMP sprites have a pinkish colour instead of transparency, right? To "fake out" an alpha channel... Thanks for the info though, I'll now pay the uttermost attention so I don't work on BMP's anymore. Again, thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.