• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Connection Speed- How Do You Stack Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
My download wins, as expected, and my upload does not come close to winning, also as expected:

I think my upload speeds were somewhat dodgy however, as the page stalled alot before taking them and I tend to upload at around 400 kilobits/second to my website's server.

-*meow*

BTW, fucking fear my downloads.

Level 24
Damn... I'm trying to think of some way to make this relevant but I can't...
Anyways... Holy fucking SHIT!

Level 8
Fastest Internet

How fast is YOUR high speed? I have 10mb/s, and my friend in town has 100mb/s:eek:! And NO, that isn't kbps, but mbps. And it is a reular cable and everything. My high speed (10mbps) is the SLOWEST the provider (MCSnet; dunno if USA) has. And i see adds for "As Fast as 7 mbps" on BNet.

:bored:

And i live in a Canadian town with 3000 people, 2/12 from Edmonton, AB.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You are getting confused between mega BITS and BYTES. 10 mbps is only about 1.25 Megabytes per second.

""As Fast as 7 mbps" on BNet." is a complete lie, battle net limates you to atmost 100 kilobytes power second, thats why dling maps is so slow. Also when hosting you only use about 10 kilobytes per second with a 12 player map thus more is un needed.

As for my own, I get upto 350 kilobytes per second DL and about 50 for UL. Then againg UK aint the most generous place.

Level 8
Its megabytes, not bits. Canada right now has some of the fastest internet services, especially in Alberta. right now, eveywhere you go has either construction, or just finished construction, tones of new buisnesses are opening up, and in general just improving everthing. I also double checked my friends; its megabytes.

EDIT: We got this internet just 2 mounths ago, so very new.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well, once you excede a certian internet speed it is your computer's fault that you do not use it all or in the case of ADSL, the box. The more data transfer, the more recources needed. So althoug laptops my family owns are on a custom wireless that is 10 MB/sec and the internet speed is not that fast, it still goes slower than my desktop that is on LAN so on my desktop my connection seems faster than when using a laptop although the local interaction is not a limating factor.

Level 19
wireless :
Downstream Speed: up to 5.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed: up to 1.2 Mbps
IP Address: 1 Dynamic
Traffic: 40 GB
Email Accounts: Up to 5
No time limit on Highspeed connection
Bonus Dialup Account: 25 Hours *
Tech Support: Free Phone Support
Installation cost: $299.95 - around (£149.97)
Monthly fee: $59.95 - around (£29.97)

Level 12
Speed: 10mb Broadband
Company: NTL / Virgin Media

Have to agree with previous posters, Internet Services in England should be so much better :-(.

I remember years back, when playing on bnet how my Swedish friends laughed at my 512kb connection whilst they had there 10mb or even 100mb connections.

Level 8
i personally do not belive your friend has a 1 gigabit connection.
Its 100mega-bytes per sec, not 1 gig per sec.
I don't know what you mean by "oversubscribed", but i think you mean its costly. But, the 100mega-bytes per sec is the regular internet for the entire town, just that we don't get it cas' we're too far out of town.

And I don't know what we went with on Mcsnet, but (checks Network Connections) it says 10 mega bytes per second.

Level 15
Its 100mega-bytes per sec, not 1 gig per sec.
I don't know what you mean by "oversubscribed", but i think you mean its costly. But, the 100mega-bytes per sec is the regular internet for the entire town, just that we don't get it cas' we're too far out of town.

And I don't know what we went with on Mcsnet, but (checks Network Connections) it says 10 mega bytes per second.
100Megabytes per second is roughly equivalent to 1Gigabit per second (if you approximate and take connection overhead into account).

Oversubscribed means the bandwidth commitment to the customers is much larger than the actual bandwidth the provider has available. In other words, if everyone was using thier connections as much as possible, they would not ever reach the full 100Mbps because the provider's connections would be overloaded.

And I still doubt it is a "100 Megabyte" internet connection. You would need a Gigabit Ethernet connection to your computer to even use more than about 10% of it. And again, network bandwidth is standardly measured in bits, not bytes.

Level 9
How fast is YOUR high speed? I have 10mb/s, and my friend in town has 100mb/s:eek:! And NO, that isn't kbps, but mbps. And it is a reular cable and everything. My high speed (10mbps) is the SLOWEST the provider (MCSnet; dunno if USA) has. And i see adds for "As Fast as 7 mbps" on BNet.

:bored:

And i live in a Canadian town with 3000 people, 2/12 from Edmonton, AB.

dude...
one of you two is lying.
you are lying to us or he is lying to you.

100mb/s is much higher then anything the army got.
NOBODY got it, as its simply impossible with today's technology.

as for me:

i got 5MB/s
and in a good day i download at 300kbs...

Level 26
100Megabytes per second is roughly equivalent to 1Gigabit per second (if you approximate and take connection overhead into account).

Oversubscribed means the bandwidth commitment to the customers is much larger than the actual bandwidth the provider has available. In other words, if everyone was using thier connections as much as possible, they would not ever reach the full 100Mbps because the provider's connections would be overloaded.

And I still doubt it is a "100 Megabyte" internet connection. You would need a Gigabit Ethernet connection to your computer to even use more than about 10% of it. And again, network bandwidth is standardly measured in bits, not bytes.
what about the 10 gigabit ethernet?

Level 15
10 Gigabit is still measured in bits. :smile:

10 Gigabit lines are very expensive (seeing they offer similar data throughput to an OC-192) and generally are direct fiber connections. (although 10Gbps over copper cabling is available)

Level 6
Well lets see:
My Downstream is 16022 kBits/s or 1600kb/s or 1.6mb per second.

My Upstream is 1072 kBit/s or 100kb/s or 0.1mb/s

Iam paying with Phone Flatrate and other costs, and no Download Limit...
around 50euro a month.
I also have a free hotspot and got a free highspeed wlan router with it.

Level 8
dude...
one of you two is lying.
you are lying to us or he is lying to you.

100mb/s is much higher then anything the army got.
NOBODY got it, as its simply impossible with today's technology.

as for me:

i got 5MB/s
and in a good day i download at 300kbs...

Thats a different service, not MCSnet. MCSnet is for the area, but not for town.

You mean within the town their internet is 100megabytes/second?

Yes, in town, the ground cables go from house-to-house, so since we live 5 min. away from town, we're too far.
EDIT: My high speed costs $20.00 Canadian per month.
EDIT: And who has the fastest high speed?

Last edited:
Level 15
Who cares, I just want someone to install some of those 1.28 terabit optic fibre cables everywhere. In parallel, bitches.

-*meow*
I think you would need to own Level 3 and Global Crossing to be able to manage that kind of connectivity. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.