• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Connection Speed- How Do You Stack Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Take the test at www.speedtest.net and then post the image with your results. Make sure you're testing in megabits. Out of curiosity (and if you know) post what the listed speed is that you're paying for, to see how much of your connection you're really getting.

Unlike other flukey tests that just measure how fast you load popular webpages, speedtest selects a server that is closest to you, and then tests your connection to that.

Here's mine. I'm paying for 5 MBit Fibre Optic, so this seems pretty close, especially since I don't live downtown or in suburbia.

116653149.png

To post your image, look beside the image on the site, find the direct link box, copy the contents, click on insert image on your post, and paste the contents inside.

Last edited:
Level 21
i used to have a 4mbs connection (this mean 400kbs download speed), which was upped to 8mbs a month ago so i exploited it by downloading about 20gb of games, music and whatever, so my ISP has cut me back to like 512kb...im really angry and im gunna phone them up and shout really loud until i get free internet for a year.

Level 24
Here's mine. lol, I'm keeping the link part of the code. Don't know what I'm paying for.

lol looks like I have the best so far except for Latency.

Level 24
well I'm doing it over ~350, so brad.dude03 beat me.
Hmm. I tried it with a server that's ~550 and here's my results.
137006328.png

>_>

Edit: Jesus Christ I tried the ~350 server again.
137007166.png

Level 21
latency depends on many things, if you have everyplayed a game that regularly shows you ping it wil often skip from as low as 5 to as high as 1000 depending on what your doing and what the server is doing. if i were you i wouldnt worry, thats a good speed you have there.

Level 24
Yeah. 32 latency... And my DL/UL speeds. Does that mean currently I win any contest to be had about speed in this thread?

Level 36
Well so far Ephy wins. If I bump mine up to 6mbit then I'll probably be tied with you, it's only an extra 10 bucks a month and my modem is compatible. If I really wanted to show off, though, for a hundred a month I could get teh 18mbit fibre optics of FURY! But... that would be very expensive, and my parents often don't see the need of such an uber connection xD

Here's one I just did a few minutes ago:
137052379.png

Level 21
My friend in the UK has 10 mbit and that's normal for him lol.

atm the very highest connection you can get on broadband here is 24mb unless you have satellite. this is because the old BT wires cannot handle larger bandwidths (in an electrical term, not a download/upload per month term) without being damaged or distorting the signals. a connection of this speed costs around $80 a month. standard here is about 4mb, but sky and virgin media are bringing in broadband with speed up to 16 and 20mb respectively. this hasnt happened everywhere yet but is happening soon. i say speeds like this are pointless because its difficult to saturate a 8mb connection because unless you download torrents with alot of peers, or you download from servers with high uploads. you will find it difficult to get a 800kbs because, as you can see from our upload results, upload speed is alot less than download speed so you need to be connected to at many people to get the full 800kbs.

The Register said:
A survey of 1,000 broadband users found that the average speed in the UK is 1.92337164 mbps. Isn't that great? It isn't? Oh well, please yourself.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/17/broadband_speed/

Level 21
i dunno about in canada, but here if you have sky tv you can have free 2mb sky broadband and there is a deal to do with phone calls too, but i cant remember the details of that. virgin media are sky's main competitors. atm, i pay £10, so about $20 for 8mb, but recently its been cut for no reason so i am angry, and that, surprisingly, is with AOL who are no longer a noob company but actually do very good deals...untill they cut your connection down for no reason that is.

Level 24
. . .
Denu wins. T_T

Edit: lol, this was a hasty post. His is over ~50. So I'm proud for coming close with ~6 times the distance.

Level 18
Mmmm, can't test my cable connection as I am at the wrong house, but I'm paying for 12mbits/s, which seems fairly accurate as I have had 3 downloads going at 500 kilobytes/second before.

Highest I've had on a single download was ~1.1 megabytes/second, on downloads from Australian download servers and from Microsoft servers.

-*meow*

Level 21
atm i think Teh_Ephy is winning, just ahead of Denu and Brad because of high download and low pings over long distances, but its close. Hakeem has the worst connection which appears to be dial up or something :p

the fastest download speed is 5.2mbs (yes thats a download speed!) on a torrent for TES: oblivion where i got 500S to 2L to i had an overload of uploaders.

Level 2
Hey guys. I'm paying for adsl 2+ (24mb/s) and i'm only getting ~1200 kb/s download and <200 upload. Why am I getting such low download and upload speeds? I've got the best possible broadband in my country (australia) and it says the my download is better than only 30% in the world, and only better than 16% of the people in my country. Is it worth phoning my ISP? Or are my crap results because my brother was playing wc3 while I did the speed test?

Attachments

• SpeedTest.png
    SpeedTest.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 130
Level 18
Hey guys. I'm paying for adsl 2+ (24mb/s) and i'm only getting ~1200 kb/s download and <200 upload. Why am I getting such low download and upload speeds? I've got the best possible broadband in my country (australia) and it says the my download is better than only 30% in the world, and only better than 16% of the people in my country. Is it worth phoning my ISP? Or are my crap results because my brother was playing wc3 while I did the speed test?

Well firstly that's a theoretical maximum speed, and secondly your distance from the ADSL2+ interchange greatly affects both the speed and quality of your connection. In fact, if you're over 5 km from the provider ADSL2+ is pretty much useless.

-*meow*

Status
Not open for further replies.