• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Max Download Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
To clarify: Mbits = megabits
MB = Megabytes. 8 times greater than Mbits.

Hybrid fibre-coaxial cable networks running at up to 30 Mbit/s. HFC Cable network in Melbourne,
which will provide speeds of up to 100 Mbit/s, providing the city with the nation's fastest internet (2009).

Fibre Optics: 100Gbits/sec

I live in Australia with an ADSL 2+ connection. Apparently the cap of download speed if 20 Mbits/sec with
this connection. Given I had these Hybrid fibre-coaxial cables, I could potentially get 30 Mbits/sec. I know
I do not have fibre optics running to my house.

30 Mbits/sec can only give a max of 3.75MB/sec (30 divided by 8).

My brother is boasting about download speeds of 20 MB/sec - 35 MB/sec. I keep telling him this is not possible,
but he's reluctant to agree as his Steam account claims to download at these high yet seemingly impossible speeds.

Aware that different servers can only upload at certain speeds regardless of your hardware potential, depending
on traffic and their resources. So seeing the 30 Mbits/sec is not likely, yet alone the 25-30MB/sec my brother
talks about.

I just came here so somebody can confirm what I'm talking about. There is no way in hell my brother is downloading
at 25 MB/sec and Steam is reporting very inaccurate data, and my brother should shutup. lol.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It could be steam verifying files. As it is not downloading much it works at disk speed.

I live in Australia with an ADSL 2+ connection. Apparently the cap of download speed if 20 Mbits/sec with
this connection. Given I had these Hybrid fibre-coaxial cables, I could potentially get 30 Mbits/sec. I know
I do not have fibre optics running to my house.
ADSL speed is limited by connection quality. As they use rather rubbish telephone cables they suffer a lot of signal loss. In fact the cables act as a low pass filter which means high frequencies suffer huge loss. The further you are away from the telephone exchange (where they generate the signals) then the stronger the lines filter high frequencies and so the high frequency signal to noise ratio decreases. As data transmission is related to signal to noise ratio then that means that you will get lower speeds the further you are away from the exchange.

How ADSL obtains such high speeds is usually by having the exchange right on the street (fibre to the curb). Such services are called fibre-optic broad band. Conventional broadband, like mine, can only obtain 6-8 Mbit/sec if you are lucky.

This only applies to ADSL which involves telephone lines. If you are using Cable then the transmission rates are considerably higher as the wiring is considerably better that that used by telephone lines. 20 MB/second is probably quite possible on a good cable connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.