• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

IPX connection, LAN-ing older games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, I didn't know where to post this, it's not really a tutorial, or news, or anything to do with War3 modding, but I found an easy solution to IPX lanning and decided to share!

I recently installed StarCraft BroodWar on my Win7 system. The problem being that SC 1 LAN only works with an IPX connection (as does many other old games). I did some research and apparently Microsoft discontinued the IPX after Windows XP (for various reasons, including 'the Internet') and only provides a TPC/IP as standard nowadays.

I found a little app here that kinda fools your PC into thinking it has an IPX connection enabled. This thing is easy to use and it works!

How it works:
1 - Download the latest IPXWrapper zip file.
2 - Extract all the .dll's to your game root directory.
3 - If you use more than 2 PC's in the LAN; ectract the IPXRouter file to the game root dir. too, and run (double click) it. [you should see a IPXRouter.txt appear in that folder.])
4 - Run the Game as normal, your PC will think the IPX exists.

By the way, I am not this 'Sloemn' person (Hell, I wouldn't know where to even start making a .dll file! XD ), so don't think this is me trying to get you to use my shit, coz its not... I just found it and thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.