• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

how can i get older games to work with tcp/ip in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The reason some older games do not work is due to the 64 bit protected mode of processors not supporting older unprotected legecy modes.

andreasaspenberg, your case is probably due to drivers. Laptops are notorious for having crap network drivers that are often pooly maintained or disfunctional. I have no idea what you are refering to by "serial ports" but tcp/ip should work over most network setups via ethenet or wifi.

If you are trying to play locally, make sure that all computers are in the same working group. Computers in different working groups are less willing to communicate with each other.

Level 21
serial ports is a way to establish a network connection without a network card. though they are mostly found on desktops they were on laptops before but have become less used after the addition of integrated network cards. i run 32 bit systems and the games work perfectly but they either dont find each others games or dont connect but that is only the case with older games but only some older games.(7th legion works perfectly.)

Level 4
I tried the vista/7 LAN thing, after much trouble found a 'weird' configuration that worked for us. It has to be a cable connection, disable wireless (right-click, disable), set a manual IP. (we used 192.168.100.x), make certain you are both on a home-group (not public) we couldn't see each other in windows, but the games picked it up... also, don't ask me how or why it worked either.... it just did...

Level 21
wireless is always disabled on the laptops while it is missing from the desktop. it a bit strange though that i can link vista and xp but not vista and vista in some games. the ipx solution might be helpful in those games that doesnt support tcp/ip though. maybe i can finally play street wars again.

Level 4
that i can link vista and xp but not vista and vista in some games.

sorry mate, can't help with that. I, literally, used Vista for about 2hrs and went straight back to XP, untill Win7 came out...

Glad the IPXwrapper proved useful, and also, good luck with getting rid of your "LAN Murphy"!

[EDIT: yes, that is referring to Murphy's Law...]

Status
Not open for further replies.