• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

how can i get lego harry potter working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i didnt try that but the game havent ever worked on the desktop but still works on the laptop. it is therefore logical to assume that that isnt the issue. i could try to transfer it from the laptop or try to run it through the network but there is most likely a different problem.

Level 19
Usually uninstalling helps though, as it does with most other games.
Or you could try to check on your firewall

Level 21
i tried to run the game installed on the laptop from the desktop but that didnt help so that means that it isnt the installation that is broken. firewalls only affect network connections and the game doesnt use that. i am out of ideas so please help me find a solution.

Level 51
God damnit, try reinstalling it ^^
Some files may got corrupted during the installation or something like that, just do it.
And then, check your firewall, like it was already suggested above, because it does in fact, not only block things with internet connections but also programs that seem to be "hacking"-prgramms. Also, try to check your anti-virus-programm, because it might block something there.

Level 21
reinstalling wont help because the problem isnt the installation. (i tried with a different installation that i know work but the result was the same. i also tried to run the version installed on the desktop from the laptop and it worked.) firewalls only block network connections(including lan), which the game lacks. the anti virus programs(at least the ones i run) give warnings when they block things. i need a solution that work.

Last edited:
Level 21
the desktop have windows vista 32 bit, dual core 3 gigahertz(intel core 2 duo i believe while the laptop have a centrino processor.) 4 gigabytes of ram. the old graphics card was nvidia geforce gtx 260 while the new card is nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti. if there is any other information you need i will provide it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Update Direct X using the web installer.
2. Update your graphic drivers, newer graphic cards like the geforce 500 series cards are still getting improvements with new graphic drivers (including allowing them to run games they were previously incompatible with).
3. Run as an administrator, sometimes some silly security setting can block the game from acessing files it needs causing it to lockup.
4. Post us actual error messages. Does the game executable even start a process?

Level 21
new graphics card drivers will in most cases make the cards compatible with less games.(i have had trouble with that myself.) i tried to run it as administrator though without that helping. since it uses direct x 9 only i cant update direct x to solve the problem. windows wont tell me exactly what the problem is.(all it say is appcrash.) appcrash means that windows found code it didnt accept and terminated the game. i have tried to update windows with better compatibility but that didnt help either.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
appcrash means that windows found code it didnt accept and terminated the game.
It actually just means the program crashed and the OS shut it down to avoid stability risk (as some crashed apps can lead to fatal errors if left to continue in a crashed state as only 1 thread crashes). This can be caused by anthing from you not having installed the nescescary prequisits (such as some games need the Visual C++ redistributables) or your graphic driver throwing some error due to unsupported or buggy opperations. Even a security failure could potentially cause an appcrash if it blocks the process loading a prequisit.

You can however get some detail about the exact cause. All Appcrashes should make extensive windows error report data which should contain atleast a more detailed error string.

Level 21
i know windows well and appcrash means that the program have been terminated. in xp there wasnt anything called appcrash but in xp windows say that a program have done something illegal and will be terminated. in vista that is cloaked under appcrash. though that isnt really relevant in this situation. what i need to know is how i can get the game working. the old graphics card had updated drivers without that helping.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i dont understand error codes.
Neithor do most people but that still does not stop them googling the error string to see what the cause is. Unless you are the only person to ever get that error (which is unlikly) then there will be tons of places discussing the error. Do not get put off by people talking about an error in a different game as some times error strings are generic so the same solution can be applied to any game which gets such an error.

Level 21
Navn på problemhendelse: APPCRASH
Programnavn: LEGOHarryPotter.exe
Programversjon: 1.0.0.0
Tidsstempel for program: 4c051b18
Navn på feilmodul: XAudio2_4.dll
Feilmodulversjon: 9.26.1590.0
Tidsstempel for feilmodul: 49bebf9f
Unntakskode: c0000005
Unntaksforskyvning: 00037e71
OS-versjon: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
ID for nasjonal innstilling: 1044
Tilleggsinformasjon 1: 4eb4
Tilleggsinformasjon 2: 9696b6845d7e522f58c51d61eb96cfc5
Tilleggsinformasjon 3: f827
Tilleggsinformasjon 4: 408f904c41ea694fabfacbd8ba3ada59

Les vår personvernerklæring:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0414

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is a very common problem with Lego Harry Potter. It is related to your DirectX, specifically the audio component "XAudio2_4.dll". It only occurs on some vista/7 systems so it must be related to hardware or some system configuration.

since it uses direct x 9 only i cant update direct x to solve the problem.
You are sure you are using the lattest DirectX 9 components? Just because you have some version of DirectX 11 does not mean your DirectX 9 is up-to-date as they are parallel systems and the last update for DirectX 9 was July 2010 (so it is not part of the standard DirectX 11 installation in Vista/7). Rememeber that DirectX does not automatically update next to major revisions (which the next one will be 11.1 when W8 is released).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i dont have direct x 11 though because that will give me less control over my pc.
This explains it. You can not expect a game to work if you do not keep your OS up-to-date. All Windows Vista and Windows 7 computers should have DirectX 11 nowdays.

How will installing a service pack give you less control? Please explain, especially since the service packs are meant to improve the OS by fixing it and adding new features.

Level 21
since the game only requires direct x 9 and that is installed i dont have the wrong version of direct x. the pc it works on have direct x 10 and 9 as well. i have installed the latest service pack from the update list(service pack 2) but i need to install an automation pack in order to install direct x 11.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
but i need to install an automation pack in order to install direct x 11
I do not think DirectX 11 on Vista has anything to do with an "automation pack".

All you need for DirectX 11 is...
1. SP2 (which you have)
2. Platform Update for Windows Vista

The Platform Update does nothing more than add and update runtime libraries that are available for programs to use. Nothing to degrade performance.
You can find the Platform Update under recommended updates in the update manager.

It is possible that the developers expect everyone to have the Platform Update.

Level 21
that platform update install an automation pack.(i considered installing it to install direct x 11 but i dont want the automation pack.) the game however doesnt require direct x 11.(only direct x 9.) the platform update was most likely developed after the game anyway. the game also only supports xp and vista.(says so on the box.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I have no idea what automation pack you are refering to. Frankly I do not have any idea what an automation pack is in the first place. You seem overly parranoid about your PC as I can assure you that updates like the Platform update do far more good than bad (if they even do bad in the first place).

Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 was released...
June 25, 2010

Platform Update for Windows Vista was released...
October 27, 2009

the platform update was most likely developed after the game anyway.
Likly? Perhapse. Actually? The platform update was developed long before Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 was. Thus it is every bit possible for the game to have some dependiency on it.

Anyway, back on topic. Is the platform update installed on your vista laptop? I advise comparing the 2 and see what is different between them. In any case it is sound related so ultimatly it could resolve to the game just being completly incompatible with your sound card in your desktop (disabling it might allow the game to boot).

Level 21
i dont believe that it is installed on the laptop and there the game work. i tried to disable the sound units that are different from the laptop and the game still doesnt work. the pcs mostly have the same sound hardware anyway. the platform update installs the Windows Automation API. i dont want to argue, i just want to get the game working. i tested it while my pc was connected to my tv and then it worked.

Last edited:
Level 21
i checked the drivers on both pcs and the laptop have older drivers. it works on the laptop without using the tv but i need to connect the desktop to the tv to use it there. (most likely because it uses different sound drivers for that.) where can i find updated drivers for integrated realtek high definition audio.

Seriously.. nobody said this yet? :S

Your desktop DOS is probably too new.

The game is too old to be compatible with your current operating system (last time I heard of a lego harry potter it was like the first few movies).

Thankfully, Microsoft predicted this happening.

If you're using W7 or Vista right click and troubleshoot.

There should be an option in there somewhere "This program worked on a previous version of windows" select that, and find out which older DOS works through the process of elimination (you can keep changing it).

Or google what OS it was designed for.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Rispetto, the game was released in 2009 well after vista was released so god knows what you are talking about... Yes they released an old harrypotter creator like a decade ago, but I can assure you he is refering to the years 1-4 game made in the same style as lego starwars.

Level 17
update direct x here
Xaudio2 here
then reduce your sample rate below 48khz
or you can keep on pretending to know the computers well and not play the game.
just because it needs "only" dx 9 it does not mean your dx has all the required libraries (which most likely does not if it wasn't updated since you got the pc)

Level 17
that was a brain fart link, you don't need xaudio2 it is bundled in the direct x update if I'm not mistaken.
the only problem appears to be sample rate above 48khz then.
this is actually quite common problem (it is present in skyrim too for example)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.