• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concerning the Submission of Animation in Modelling Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that the rule for model submissions should be changed to allow for heavy animation edits too regardless of model changes.

That being said, the standards should be quite high for this to work. Adding one or two custom animations should not be enough for a submission. Replacing all animations or adding a substantial amount could be acceptable.

As someone who does both modelling and animating I agree that both things need a big amount of expertise to be good. Animating is just as demanding as modelling on its own - especially if the model has a complex geometry or fancy details like cloth, hair, etc.

Lets remember that there are things like the 255 anim villager model.

If you want to start a petition to change the model submission rules to allow for animation edits, i suggest you contact the Hive staff about this. You'd definitely get my support.

I'm not sure how we should define "substantial amount" (and whether that means animating-from-scratch or modifying-existing-animations (i.e. "geomerginganimating" : P)), but I'm likely to want the bar set relatively low (at least to start), to encourage people to try it out.

That or a separate resource repository/tag for such things "(minor animation edit)". Something like "Substandard" but with a better name. : |

This basically says what I want to say. Context here, original thread.

So yea, this could use a discussion to define the exact rules (or the inexactness, depending on how flexible the rules should be).

As well as an approval.

Level 50
Well, maybe you should post the model itself to give an example of what you described in your post.

With models where only certain segment is new, like animations, it depends on how much it contributed to offer something new to the existing model and how quality was it made.

For example if you edit villager so the only change is that he attacks with his right arm instead of left, than it doesn't offer many new qualities. But if you edit it so that he has swimming animations, then it would be an approvable model.

Level 34
Please yes, seen lots of cool geomerged stuff everyday, but the same paladin or blademaster animations for the 1000th time is just...., hope to see some variety like Direfury's or Tauer's custom animations too, even for the simplest of models :'3

Well, maybe you should post the model itself to give an example of what you described in your post.

With models where only certain segment is new, like animations, it depends on how much it contributed to offer something new to the existing model and how quality was it made.

For example if you edit villager so the only change is that he attacks with his right arm instead of left, than it doesn't offer many new qualities. But if you edit it so that he has swimming animations, then it would be an approvable model.

Would this perhaps serve as an example of submitting animation?

Edit: opps, my bad, fixed it anyway

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well as a Reviewer you seem to have elevated privileges, because the first link is still inactive/disabled/inaccessible to me.

So the point of this thread isn't about "what would this model be graded as", but more "how can we more effectively encourage & consider animation-only submissions onto the Hive?

Currently, they basically don't exist (aside from a handful, like the 100-anim Villager), and people like me, Boaty & Zwie think they should be more of a Thing.

Maybe they need a separate section (like Icons do apart from regular Skins)... Or maybe they just need a separate Tag/flag.

But also, it's a question of getting everyone on board/on the same page. Determining a standardized list of expectations for what determines the quality/status of an "animation-only" submission (so that different mods/reviewers aren't making hugely subjective decisions). Consistency is important.

Level 30
@Kyrbi0 I know what you mean and i am with you, but the problem with this is that each model has it's own bone rig.
I mean take the Footman and the Grunt, if you switch their animations without rigging their bones or editing the animations, it would look like a Nightmare.

If someone submits a set of animations with the Villager as it's Dummy then the animations would only work on this type of model with this specific set of bones (placement and all), without editing anything.

Level 50
Link is dead.
It is a link of model's edit dialogue, page viewable only to author and section staff, that's why you can't view it.

Would this perhaps serve as an example of submitting animation?

It is a good example. At first it appears as simple edit alongside with the unedited mesh, but it actually features well made custom animations. What is debatable is the amount of animations made, there are five new ones, but some are quite similar. So a reviewer may request to make extra two or three animations which are not based on those already made.

If I was a reviewer I'd also point out that things such as lifting root bone during animations where the legs go below the surface and giving better names to animations should be done before approval. But aside from that, I think it can be approved, animations add something new to the model's visuals and certain amount of effort was made while editing it.

Level 11
There really should be an "animation section". In this theoretical section, one could select from few base models (stickmen of different creature types) and animate with them. Then others would download them and transfer said animations to their models (this section could have animation transfer tutorial pinned under the news section/above the models). What do you think about my proposal @BoatyMcBoatface300 ?
This

@Kyrbi0 The link isn't dead. For me it is a link so i can edit it, because i am a Reviewer.

----------------------------------------------

I like the animations in general, but it would probably be put in Substandard, because the only thing added are animations.
Only just now saw this thread. I approved that model, I hope that's alright. I felt that the animations were unique and original enough to approve it.
So yeah, personally I agree that animations can be enough to approve a model. I'm a pretty new reviewer though, so please don't consider this an authoritative opinion in any way.

Level 20
@Kyrbi0 I know what you mean and i am with you, but the problem with this is that each model has it's own bone rig.
I mean take the Footman and the Grunt, if you switch their animations without rigging their bones or editing the animations, it would look like a Nightmare.

If someone submits a set of animations with the Villager as it's Dummy then the animations would only work on this type of model with this specific set of bones (placement and all), without editing anything.
This is really the most important part. It's not just the bone names that aren't unified so transfer isn't as simple as a click of a button (although Reforged models in most cases DO have a unified bone naming system in most cases), the placement of the bones relative to each other is what causes all the real problems with animation.

In the most basic case, where two models have the same bone names and general layout, if one of them is twice as large as the other one, the animation will not come out the same because the size difference will do something different with the bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.