• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #8: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the lot of you had a good time in the previous contest.
So, I take it as a good time to fire up a thread and start pouring in with ideas for the next one's theme.

To avoid confussion and deja-vu's, I've set-up a list of the previous themes already picked.

Suggestions:

Robotic scenes - canvas depicting a machine society(kind of like Matrix etc) at its normal daily pace.
Aquatic - beings adequate to live underwater, various species made from your own imagination.
Revolution - an event depicting a crucial point in a society/tribe's time span meant to bring about changes in the overall mentality(generally involving a coup d'etat).
War & Weapons - A scene of in the time of war, whether it is in the heat of battle or in the camp preparing. The piece must display weapons of interesting design.
Medical Anomalies - horribly disfiguring afflictions of a biological nature.
Golems - constructs made for various tasks to settle for their masters.
Plants - Concept art of trees, bushes, etc. You may think this is boring but I assure you it can be made interesting, I've seen quite a few interesting concepts of such (trap plants, consumer plants, treefolks might count in as well I suppose, etc.)
Knights - Creating innovative knight concept arts. Since knights are bad ass on their own without us having to add much to them, I propose that we make knights inspired by other cultures or just different in some way, since this is a concept art contest, not an illustration one. Think stuff like Arabian Knight, Chinese Knight, probably even animal inspired ones like Crab Knight (there was a recent concept art contest with a similar theme, Crab Samurai I believe it was). I'll try searching for ref later perhaps.
Spirits (Ghosts, Apparitions, Shades, Phantoms, Illusions, etc.) - Doesn't have to be transparent or spirity. Might even be stuff like from that shitty movie Spirited Away, but you know, a quick reference of a different type of spirits that I thought of. It just has to have a spirit feeling.
Dragons, Wyverns, Similar - I think it's understandable... The focus of course should be on the concept, creating an interesting dragon.
Mutated Animals - Select any type of mob/animal in Warcraft 3 and draw it out but mutated into a unknown creature.
Biomes - Contestants should design a biome and describe it. An entry should contain:
- Description: Text describing climate, animal behaviour and other trivia;
- Landscape: An image of the typical landscape (example);
- Creatures: An image with concepts of few inhabitants (min. of 3) (example).
Squads - Create an art that represents two or more characters in a team, travelling together, like that for example.
Kaiju Monsters - Kaiju-sized monsters that wreck cities in days and takes nukes to kill them(info, example).
Experimental units - Secret military units like Stealth Tanks, Naginata Cruiser, Infantry, Mech-suit, Athena Cannons.
Love - Creating a concept art that represents one male and female in love. Generally, any romantic them should work.
Eldritch horror - Beings outside space and time, impossible in our reality, yet, somehow they still exist. They are grotesque mockeries of reality beyond comprehension whose disturbing otherness cannot be encompassed in any mortal tongue(e.g).
Giants - These ancient beings were molded by earthily elements into one living form. And now they are awakened by catastrophic events, caused by humans or other alien beings attacking the planet.

More will be added depending on the generated responses from the community. Also, a big thanks to Roland for bringing this type of contest back in the spotlight

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

(Special thanks to Direfury)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Golems made of X for the purpose of Y.

Inspiration: Mortimer, the Wizard's Stove by erwtenpeller.

Once upon a time there was a lazy wizard. A fat wizard, a wizard that endulged itself in the finer pleasures of life. Among the noumerous golems he created to make his life easyer, there was an animated furnace, nicknamed "Mortimer" after a long-dead butler. Mortimer provided warmth, comfort and most importantly, a always-present kettle to serve the freshest, hottest tea.

When the wizard finally chocked on his last cupcake, Mortimer was left alone. Lost and without perpouse, the poor guy walked around the wizards home for a while untill he had enough. Mortimer set out to explore the world, soon finding that making tea is not the only thing a walking stove is capable of...

FurnacePostable.jpg

Level 28
Plants - Concept art of trees, bushes, etc. You may think this is boring but I assure you it can be made interesting, I've seen quite a few interesting concepts of such (trap plants, consumer plants, treefolks might count in as well I suppose, etc.)

carnivorous_plants_pg1_by_stephen_0akley-d8qntbn.jpg

carnivorous_plants_pg3_by_stephen_0akley-d8qntbb.jpg

carnivorous_plants_pg2_by_stephen_0akley-d8qntb1.jpg

victreebell_gloom_color_by_stephen_0akley-d99vgft.jpg

iu

iur

Dragons, Wyverns, Similar - I think it's understandable... The focus of course should be on the concept, creating an interesting dragon.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

azure_dragon_by_exomemory-d796wp4.jpg

bramble_wyvern_by_exomemory-d8jwf5z.jpg

Knights - Creating innovative knight concept arts. Since knights are bad ass on their own without us having to add much to them, I propose that we make knights inspired by other cultures or just different in some way, since this is a concept art contest, not an illustration one. Think stuff like Arabian Knight, Chinese Knight, probably even animal inspired ones like Crab Knight (there was a recent concept art contest with a similar theme, Crab Samurai I believe it was). I'll try searching for ref later perhaps.

Spirits (Ghosts, Apparitions, Shades, Phantoms, Illusions, etc.) - Doesn't have to be transparent or spirity. Might even be stuff like from that shitty movie Spirited Away, but you know, a quick reference of a different type of spirits that I thought of. It just has to have a spirit feeling. I'll add ref later, I've already got some on my mind.
Edit: Problem with this theme is you can get away with anything by just adding "spirit" to it...
iu

Evershrike_zps619152b0.jpg

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Ok, so by all the other contests it seems that each one has to do with some sort of "dark" background or "futuristic" background.. Some ideas I can think of are..

-Magical Beings. ( Hero's that are magical and stay in the back of combat, who help there allies.

-Dragons (Idea by Morbent) I like this idea since dragons hasn't been used and its always a fun one.

-Race Mashup (Select a race.. Human, Orc, exc.. And draw a village that they would live in and what the surroundings are, if its in a jungle or in a desert. Bring it too life and express what that race does.

-Mutated Animals (Select any type of mob/animal in Warcraft 3 and draw it out but mutated into a unknown creature.

Level 28
Nice themes, guys! I'd like to know more information about these:

Revolution - an event depicting a crucial point in a society/tribe's time span meant to bring about changes in the overall mentality(generally involving a coup d'etat).

Hmm I guess it isn't real world timeline only? Like, it would be acceptable to have an entry about the time when ogres rebelled against being slaves to the orcs in Warcraft history.

Psychological.

This is an interesting suggestion! However not clear enough. What were you thinking, exactly?

I think we should focus on creating concept art in the way it is made in entertainmnent industry: creating a specific character or location rather than creating a scene. At least that's the way I see it, I can be wrong though :p

Using my suggestion as an example, creating a specific biome rather than creating a fight scene (I hope I was clear).

--------------------------------------------

My suggestion:

Biomes: Contestants should design a biome and describe it. An entry should contain:

• Description: Text describing climate, animal behaviour and other trivia;
  • Landscape: An image of the typical landscape (example);
  • Creatures: An image with concepts of few inhabitants (min. of 3) (example).

Level 11

I'm into this one xD

Edit: also, you guys posted a Diablo related skin contest recently. It could also be turned into an art contest as well:

Diablo - From the blackest pits of the Burning Hells to the utopian kingdoms of the High Heavens, the Great Conflict reaches the Hive Workshop, and no artist will be spared.

Level 28
Naze,
Concept art in the industry was also used for scenes. Ryan Church's concept artworks for Star Wars were all used as shots and they are pretty much scene artworks, from an illustration point of view and "atmosphere/feeling" arts, from a concept art view. The lines are blurred between illustration and concept art as they are both art but overall to fall under concept you must present a design. Design isn't only how something looks though but also how it feels (which is what illustrators usually focus on).
Take a look at most environment concept arts. How many of them can you categorize as scenes? Can a MTG illustration be viewed as a concept art? Very often it can.
Concept artists usually have to work with limitations (due to 3d models, environment limits, etc.) and create front,side,top,etc. views for characters (which I don't think everyone here is eager to do) while illustrators do not, but does that mean we have to include that in this contest?
I think we shouldn't really focus on limiting the type of art, but more on the subject - is it an environment art? A character? A creature? A vehicle? Etc.
And then of course the theme, a dragon character, a dragon creature, a dragon.. well that last one won't work but you get my idea.

Level 16
Squads - Create an art that represents two or more characters in a team, travelling together, like that for example.
Maybe that?

Also Heinvers, can i post the submission hand-drawn when in the contest? You know, taking the photo of it?

Level 19
Kaiju Monsters - Kaiju-sized monsters that wreck cities in days and takes nukes to kill
them.

Experimental units - Secret military units like Stealth Tanks, Naginata Cruiser, Infantry
Mech-suit, Athena Cannons

Level 28
Naze,
Concept art in the industry was also used for scenes. Ryan Church's concept artworks for Star Wars were all used as shots and they are pretty much scene artworks, from an illustration point of view and "atmosphere/feeling" arts, from a concept art view. The lines are blurred between illustration and concept art as they are both art but overall to fall under concept you must present a design. Design isn't only how something looks though but also how it feels (which is what illustrators usually focus on).
Take a look at most environment concept arts. How many of them can you categorize as scenes? Can a MTG illustration be viewed as a concept art? Very often it can.
Concept artists usually have to work with limitations (due to 3d models, environment limits, etc.) and create front,side,top,etc. views for characters (which I don't think everyone here is eager to do) while illustrators do not, but does that mean we have to include that in this contest?

Oh, okay, that makes sense! I was inclined to think about concept art as usually seen in character and environment development, but that's not the whole thing.

I think we shouldn't really focus on limiting the type of art, but more on the subject - is it an environment art? A character? A creature? A vehicle? Etc.
And then of course the theme, a dragon character, a dragon creature, a dragon.. well that last one won't work but you get my idea.

Indeed you're right. Also that's how its been done here for years now, silly me, hehe.

Level 16
Love is too realistic. In this world, love is everywhere too.

But your suggestion is a funny one. Maybe this can be on the poll.

Love - Creating a concept art that represents one male and female in love. I think that's what you try to mean?

Eldritch horror: Beings outside space and time, impossible in our reality, yet, somehow they still exist. They are grotesque mockeries of reality beyond comprehension whose disturbing otherness cannot be encompassed in any mortal tongue.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EldritchAbomination
latest

Last edited:
Level 16
That's a good suggestion I think.

So, about outside space, Aliens? I think?
About time, Dinosaurs?

It's a little simple. We can try to search creatures in the outside space and time by google. It just need a creativity. Thinking of creatures is simple.

Good idea. You pour an easy one.

Level 28
Level 19
I don't have any ideas in my mind, but I really liked these concepts:

-Robotic scenes

-Revolution

-Biomes

-Squads

-Eldritch horror

These will require more detail and work compared to others because landscape or a scene expressing something has more elements going around in it. There are some nice concepts other than my favorites but they are likely to be containing one figure in them which would be a little bit dull. Of course the drawer can add anything s/he wants, but most will go with only the main character because that is what will be taken into consideration.

-Robotic scenes remind me of some nice concept arts I've seen through times, which are a bit complicated but inspiring to look at. I don't know if that would be so fun to draw though.

-Revolution is a nice idea in my opinion, one can tell many things by this one. Many things come into my mind, this can be pretty enjoyable. Additionally you can pick any time this revolution takes place in, whether it be in 1500s, or in a future time, 2500s. Lots of ideas and choices.

-I liked biomes because you create your own biome which you should actually back up with almost reasonable facts. And pretty creative things can come out. A greenland with poisonous plants and vicious creatures living in it, or an ice cold biome with half robotic animals roaming around in it.

-Squads felt warmer to me because a team of people with different talents and styles can lead to very different outcomes. A squad of close friends in a post apocalyptic world that went out for scavenging, or a professional squad of agents going into a mission each one of them has the cold heart of snake.

-Eldritch horror seems kinda fun. It would be great if we could draw alien places/regions like the one in the example picture. I don't feel like drawing creatures this time :D

I didn't find enough time to draw something good for the last contest but since I am close for vacation(after 1 month e.t.a), I plan to draw the best I can.

-Eldritch horror seems kinda fun. It would be great if we could draw alien places/regions like the one in the example picture. I don't feel like drawing creatures this time :D

Actually that thing in the picture is a creature ;)
It is called Emrakul and is from MTG. I'm all for including strange otherworldly aliens terrains into i though, if people is up for that.

Level 19
Ahaha :D It is an interesting creature then:p

I think it would be great if terrains were included but then judging part may have some problems comparing terrains against creatures.

And as an idea I've thought of MASSIVE GIANTS, this can be included in golems maybe, but I'm talking about mountains or even continent scale. These ancient beings were molded by earthily elements into one living form. And now they are awakened by catastrophic events, caused by humans or other alien beings attacking the planet.

here are some examples:

3338017-monster_glacius_large.jpg

ice_giant_by_guillebot-d6cacwk.jpg

latest

the_realm_of_the_frost_giants_by_reneaigner-d64t9uk.jpg

latest

mountain_giant___train_your_brain_by_elderscroller-d5n0no5.jpg

mountain_giants_by_addictdrawer-d6a0lnu.jpg

1c409be8c32fc646a12eab4018d68510.jpg

Level 16
NightStalker06698 said:
-Squads felt warmer to me because a team of people with different talents and styles can lead to very different outcomes. A squad of close friends in a post apocalyptic world that went out for scavenging, or a professional squad of agents going into a mission each o of them has the cold heart of snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.