1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Clockwork Horror

Submitted by HappyCockroach
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
- Clockwork Horror -

[​IMG]

A contraption designed by the Undead to be an "undead" out of things that never had life. It is meant to be a beast raised out of the assembly of dead machinery. It may eventually lose its own parts, and regain them at a later time. Able to cannibalize debris and regain health. Might as well rebuild its own wings by eating old iron junk.​
Cannibalize Preview
[​IMG]

Alternate Form
[​IMG]

Technical Info

Average polycount in-game: 790 polys.
Average polycount at alternate form: 950 polys.
(particles are included in the polycount)

Attack Point: 0.333
Attack Backswing: 0.750
Attack Point (Alternate Form): 0.720
Attack Backswing (Alternate): 0.900
Animation Walk Speed: 200
Animation Run Speed: 400 (Or 2000 if you want it to always perform the walk animation)
Death Time: 1.70
Death Time (Alternate): 1.00

- Height of the alternate is better set to around 200, but it is adaptable
- Set it to a mechanical unit so it won't decay twice​

Keywords:
steampunk, clockwork, oil, beast, chimera, hound
Contents

Clockwork Horror (Model)

Reviews
15:53, 6th Aug 2014 MiniMage: Contest is finally over, so approved.
  1. 15:53, 6th Aug 2014
    MiniMage: Contest is finally over, so approved.

2. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    whoa, that's cool

3. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  4. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    since everyone in the contest uploaded their entries i'm doing it too.
    mods, remember, don't moderate it until the contest's over. :v

(i warn you peoples, the 3d viewer isn't showing the wing visibility correctly and the particles don't appear...)

edit: thought my post would be the first one >.>

5. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's the more grimmer side of steam-punk^^ Now this brings the steam-punk theme to a whole new level. Greatly done animations, I love the morph ones, stand channel. Just pure perfection. It has that surprising look that some models would need. Great job!

6. Mike

Mike

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Excellent job, HappyCockroach. As usual.

7. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very awesome model! Great job! I love him very much!

8. The General

The General

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the use of ingame textures Keep this stuff up 4/5

9. Hardtime

Hardtime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome! :D but it the Walk Fast animation, it looks like it's gonna trip or something. Also, isn't it odd that wings would just pop out of nowhere and attach to him?

10. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    thanks guys for the positive feedback

the walk fast anim was going to be out of the set, or reworked, but the deadline of the contest caught me and it ended up in for some reason. :v

and the about the popping-out-of-nowhere-wings, two issues:
    1 - when the alternate form has flying height, the wc3 engine performs a linear transition of height during the morph anim, so I couldn't make it so the wings were "built up" and then it set off flight, because I can't make a "prepare to morph" animation and the unit can't build them up while taking off, that would be even more nonsense :p
    2 - to soften that problem i made it "burn-out" and "burn-in", so it has a mystical/demonesque/appealing way of coming out of nowhere. the problem is that the 3D viewer here in THW doesn't show the visibility transition and the particles. so they look really really awkward, coming totally out of nowhere. ;/ (the gifs show better how it actually performs in-game)

anyhow, that isn't an excuse. I should make a whole set of animations to the "winged horror walking" and then a set of "winged horror flying", so morph would consist of only the take-off.

I hope that explains the issue though.

11. Strikest

Strikest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It looks great but I feel like the head could use more work... Maybe some glowey eyes or some glowey markings on it, because right now I can only see this as a unit, it's not "epic" enough to be a hero. But I really do love the gears on the body, really captures the clockwork feel.

12. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Really loves the wing. Great model.

13. I don't know why but it scares me. :eek: Looks good.

14. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Heehe, kinda reminds me of this guy

[​IMG]yeh, too far

Nice, I like the animations and the batty wings. Just the stingy head I guess,
    4/5 for me

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    While I think this is pretty cool, I kinda wish contestants would avoid putting up their model to the resource section before at least the end of the deadline. :<

That being said, this is pretty schweet, HappyCockroach. I not only love your 'concept art -> model' paradigm, but it's a pretty neat idea; like a mechanical chimera (noice use of keywords there), ghoulishly cannabilizing (c wut i did thar?) mech rubbish and flying around. Spinning clockwerk gears, nice tie-in with the Frost Wyrm 'heart-in-rib-cage', definitely an interesting & unique profile, and a nice complement of animations.

I must say, though, as I said elsewhere... It just kinda seems "off" somehow. I think a big part of it is how incredibly thin it is; the head, the legs, etc. I know it's what you were 'going for', but he'll melt away in-game (especially on Blight or dark tilesets), and doesn't have, seemingly, enough room for a 'face' or 'head'. Granted, the contrast of bronze-ish gears & such helps to 'show him up', or contrast against all that black... But then the 'head' is noticeably devoid of anything contrasting (bands, studs, eyes, markings, magic, runes, horns, teeth, nostrils, etc...)

@Strikest: You are right, it's really better suited as a unit... But I don't believe anywhere he indicated it was for use as a Hero. Heke?

16. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually came to think of it.
    While there is a small resemblance of steampunk in this model It does seem a bit more like some industrial hound from hell.
    Silent Hill comes to mind, again because of the metal horror feel, and it's head somehow links to Pyramid Head's... head.

An outstanding model nevertheless.

17. Bloody Wolf

Bloody Wolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    dat animation, dat design, dat everithing!

18. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    attacks with snoz, 10/10.

19. animewidri2

animewidri2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its so awesome! <3