• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest

What would you like the cinematic contest to be about?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinematic Contest

Brief Overview:

Cinematic Contest
What are Cinematics?

Cinematics
are motion films. Cinematics can be created using Warcraft III World Editor, and it can look real good and become a legendary cinematic such as CotD or CotN if they are that good.

Practice makes perfect, keep practicing and you'll be the next Zurg!

What is Needed?
  • Warcraft III World Editor (It is possible in RoC, but it might be a bit more difficult)
  • Basic Cinematic and Triggering Knowledge
Cinematic Tutorial Links:
Introduction:
In this contest, you and other members will compete to see who created the best cinematic. Like many other contests, I want this one to be clean and spam free, so here are the rules:
Rules:
  • Do NOT SPAM here!
  • Do not make pointless posts
  • Please post here if you would like to join
  • Do not say "This contest sux! muahaha!" Keep your opinions to yourself please
  • Do NOT steal other people's work, it will result in an automatic disqualification
  • Please follow the theme mentioned below in your cinematic
  • Please post maps under 25 MB, I don't want it to be a recreation of Zurg's horrifying cinematic file sizes
  • All imported materials must be credited
  • Please follow the time limits
  • No using maps you already were working on
  • Do not submit more than 1 cinematic, but if you do, choose only one to be your final cinematic
Theme:
This contest's theme will be depended on you guys, so please vote which one you would like. Note that the poll closes in 15 days so hurry and vote!!
Grading:
This will most likely NOT be depended on a public poll, but maybe if you would like me to.

Here is what I will be grading on:

Story Cinematics:

Storyline - 40 Points

The storyline of a story cinematic is very important, if it is original, unique, creative, and interesting, you will most likely get 40/40 (10 Points for each)

Conflict - 20 Points

The conflict isn't necessarily the storyline, it is the problem or situation in the cinematic. If it is original, creative, and interesting, it will get 20/20. (About 6 points for each)

Plot - 15 Points

This is the series of events in the story. If it is unique, creative, and interesting, it will get 15/15 most likely. (5 Points each)

Climax & Resolution - 25 Points

The climax is the most exiting part of the cinematic, I don't want the whole thing to be just dull and real boring, there should be an exiting part. The resolution is how the story ends, I don't want to see crappy endings. If these are unique, creative, interesting, makes me want to see it again, and it keeps the person entertained, it will get 25/25. (5 points each)

Music & Sounds - 10 Points

Music is also important to a cinematic, without music, it will be boring. If you use good sounds in your cinematic and if you choose good Warcraft music given, you will get 10/10 if they match what you need.

Other Sounds - +5 Bonus Points

If you import other sounds for music and sounds, it will be possible to get 5 bonus points to your grade. You will also get the Music and Sounds points as long as your music is good and match the cinematic or scene.

Coding - 5 Points

I dislike bad codes and really long ones stuffed into one trigger or something like that. If your trigger coding is good, neat, and organized, you can get 5/5 points.

Terrain - 15 Points

Flat and bad terrain is what I strongly dislike. Please try hard to terrain your map and do not overflow it with doodads and things like that. If you are a bad terrainer, please view some tutorials and look at nature pictures for some inspiration. Terrain, atmosphere, and weather are all part of the grading. (5 Points Each)

Other - 5 Points

Any other criteria to be graded on will be graded, so I expect the cinematic to have more than just what was mentioned above.

Entertainment - 50 Points
If this keeps me entertained a lot and if it is very interesting, you could get 50/50 points!

Overall Grading: X/185

Battle
Cinematics:

Storyline - 10 PointsMany battles don't have storylines, but I want this to have at least a bit of storyline to it. If you have that and it is good, then you can get 10/10 points.

Conflict - 20 Points

The conflict isn't necessarily the storyline, it is the problem or situation in the cinematic. If it is original, creative, and interesting, it will get 20/20. (About 6 points for each)

Plot - 15 Points

This is the series of events in the story. If it is unique, creative, and interesting, it will get 15/15 most likely. (5 Points each)

Climax & Resolution - 25 Points

The climax is the most exiting part of the cinematic, I don't want the whole thing to be just dull and real boring, there should be an exiting part. The resolution is how the story ends, I don't want to see crappy endings. If these are unique, creative, interesting, makes me want to see it again, and it keeps the person entertained, it will get 25/25. (5 points each)

Music & Sounds - 10 Points

Music is also important to a cinematic, without music, it will be boring. If you use good sounds in your cinematic and if you choose good Warcraft music given, you will get 10/10 if they match what you need.

Other Sounds - +5 Bonus Points

If you import other sounds for music and sounds, it will be possible to get 5 bonus points to your grade. You will also get the Music and Sounds points as long as your music is good and match the cinematic or scene.

Coding - 5 Points

I dislike bad codes and really long ones stuffed into one trigger or something like that. If your trigger coding is good, neat, and organized, you can get 5/5 points.

Terrain - 15 Points

Flat and bad terrain is what I strongly dislike. Please try hard to terrain your map and do not overflow it with doodads and things like that. If you are a bad terrainer, please view some tutorials and look at nature pictures for some inspiration. Terrain, atmosphere, and weather are all part of the grading. (5 Points Each)

Special Effects, Battle Quality, and Cheesiness - 35 Points

If you have good sfx, the battle quality is good, and it isn't that cheesy, then you can get 30/30 points. If it doesn't have many sfx, but the existing ones are good, I'll still give you the points. The battle quality is the quality of the battle and how it is. It must be creative, not just continous attacks. I want it to be creative such as by using traps or making units hide or using shadows. If your cinematic is really cheesy (Not actual cheese), then you could get -10 points because cheesyness does not always keep people entertained. (About 12 Points Each)

Other - 5 PointsAny other criteria to be graded on will be graded, so I expect the cinematic to have more than just what was mentioned above.

Entertainment - 50 Points
If this keeps me entertained a lot and if it is very interesting, you could get 50/50 points!

Overall Grading: X/185

If your cinematic does not take part in one of the categories above, it will be graded on its key concepts that are used in that cinematic genre/type.

Deadline:

- Deadline = July 20th - That is plenty of time to make a cinematic, it is more than 1 and a half months!

Time Limits:

- The time limit is 2-20 minutes

Conclusion:

Have fun creating cinematics!

All users are accepted in this contest, whether you are a newb or an advanced super cinematic expert. :wink:

Have fun!

~Purgeandfire
Rewards

These are the rewards for the contest:
  • 1st Place - +35 Rep and Icon
  • 2nd Place - +25 Rep and Icon (Hopefully)
  • 3rd Place - +15 Rep and Icon (Hopefully)

Last edited:
Bump again. Sorry, I just want to inform you that the tags are working again so you can see the contest.

Originally Posted by Purgeandfire
Bump.

Any people want to join? Well, I guess this idea isn't so great afterall. :sad:

I will announce the prizes when people come and join, but it will probably be something like:

1st Place - 35 Rep + Icon Hopefully
2nd Place - 25 Rep
3rd Place - 15 Rep

If this doesn't work out, I guess all the effort I put in this will go to waste. :sad:

Level 8
Woo I hope this is accepted, its a well organized proposal and I hope it goes through. By the way, are teams allowed for this or no? Cuase it seems like a fairly large project

Im defantly in this, EXEPT I DONT HAVE TIME! This is a bad time for me, I have 2 maps im progress and I plan for more allready, and I might update an old one, PLUS I suck ay cinamatics.

I would really love to join, but im too busy.

Don't worry, I understand. When the poll ends, I'll say the deadline which will be enough time to finish.

Woo I hope this is accepted, its a well organized proposal and I hope it goes through. By the way, are teams allowed for this or no? Cuase it seems like a fairly large project

I hope it gets accepted as well.

Teams are accepted, though you must give credit and the other members aren't associated with the award. Sorry. Maybe you could give them a gift or rep... :smile:

enjoy my cinematic =)

I'll check it out soon. Do not be too hasty or else it may backfire on you. :wink:

I want the contestants to take their time, but I will accept all entries. I just wanted to inform you for that.

Also, the theme hasn't been decided... But the theme is most likely going to be humorous unless more votes tell otherwise.

Last edited:
Level 8
I've always been more of an action/adventure person myself but what the hell, ill give humor a shot.
Also, (not pointing fingers at anyone or anything) keeping in mind i realize everyone should use common logic in their cinematics, you may want to set a boundary line as far as the dialogs in the

I've always been more of an action/adventure person myself but what the hell, ill give humor a shot.
Also, (not pointing fingers at anyone or anything) keeping in mind i realize everyone should use common logic in their cinematics, you may want to set a boundary line as far as the dialogs in the

I know, people may just create stupid jokes, but all cinematics are accepted as long as they aren't spam and don't have more than 200 cuss words. :wink:

If it gets humor can we so make a funny cinematic with out anything serious..? I got a idea, but i dont think i may make it.. :-(
Its a self made story of Ali G may i?
PLEASE

It could be about anything, just do what you want to do. :smile:

Cinematic Contest is officially approved.

PurgeandFire111: please contact me via PM to discuss details about the contest: starting and ending dates, awards, rules etc.

Hooray!

Thanks Wolv, I'll PM you the details soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.